Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development

View Poll Results: How badly do you want to see a linux port of Winamp??
So badly that when i see it i will dry-hump the nearest non-family member 55 60.44%
A linux port would be cool 31 34.07%
I could care less 5 5.49%
Linux?????? 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th August 2003, 16:45   #1
severson_carl

Exclamation Linux Port?????????

I've heard rumors that winamp is developing a linux port of their kick ass media player. is this true, or is it just an urban legend. I sure hope not because us linux users are dying for a good media player.

PS. anyone know of any good movie players, MP3 players, cd burners...rippers...or encoders for linux that have a gnome/gtk interface???
Old 20th August 2003, 20:00   #2
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Re: Linux Port?????????

Quote:
Originally posted by severson_carl
I've heard rumors that winamp is developing a linux port of their kick ass media player. is this true, or is it just an urban legend. I sure hope not because us linux users are dying for a good media player.

PS. anyone know of any good movie players, MP3 players, cd burners...rippers...or encoders for linux that have a gnome/gtk interface???
look... we dont need lame polls like this. it is a FACT that the linux version is "BEING WORKED ON"... but it isnt going to be ready for quite some time. just sit back and wait. i can asure you that it is being worked on tho.

various sections of code have to go under MAJOR re-writes to make them linux compatible. it took them what was it... 2-3 years before we saw any sort of win32 release? well, itll still prob take at least another 6 months before you see a beta for linux. this is just a random estimate from a user... dont quote me on this. things just take time, and be rest asured that there is someone hard at work making the great software we have all come to know and love ohh soo well.

prob is tho, linux isnt as high of a priority right now tho. it doesnt have the user base that win32 does, and it becomes more complicated when trying to make something for more than one single distro of linux. lack of user-base and standardization really does slow things down ALOT.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 21st August 2003, 00:30   #3
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
nah darkain.. if its a binary which it will be different distros wont make a bit of difference because they all apply the same standard.. It is actually standardised to a great extent.. the systems all work identical.. and any binary compiled on any linux distro for the x86 platform will work on any other x86 based distro.. (gcc, g++ is the same nevermind the fact that they all use the same kernel).. if standardisation was the big issue then how come alpha worked fine ?

anyway sverson carl.. yeah its when its done they are developing winamp3 for linux were told next version to be released will have linux support they already supplied an alpha about a year or 2 years ago.. but theres only 1 person working on winamp3 development and has to port to both windows and linux and the rest of it

yes there is all of that..

Quote:
right good movie players are:

1- xine (awesome aint sure if its gtk wont make a bit of difference)

2- mplayer, probably the best optimised out there.. although both xine and this are awesome also there are tons of different guis for it both for gnome and kde kplayer is the kde one i think gplayer is the gnome gui.

mp3 players there are loads..

1-xmms this is gtk but gtk 1.x i think
there are loads more but this does the job very well.. and winamp2 skins work with it and its got loads of different plugins.. one of my favorites is the wakeup plugin.

2- winamp3 (ofcourse when its done :-D )

and a shit load more.

cd rippers / burners there are loads again

i like k3b a lot rips dvds/cd's the whole lot rips dvd and converts to divx aswell (k3b.sourceforge.net) but its for kde

gnome ones are coaster http://coaster.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
ive not tried it tbh.
there is also grip which rips cds its very good what i use for my ripping..

also to note why does it have to be gtk based only ? gtk apps work in kde just fine and qt apps just fine in gnome..

Best bet is to search sourceforge and freshmeat they have the latest projects and good apps listed.
Old 28th August 2003, 15:22   #4
krunk

There is a copy of the Winamp3 Linux Beta availabe at DeViant ArT under the Software/Linux section.
Old 28th August 2003, 22:48   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

That'd probably be the old, old version.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 30th August 2003, 10:55   #6
dopey

dopey@insane:~$ date
Sat Aug 30 12:02:57 BST 2003
dopey@insane:~$ Winamp
/usr/local/bin/Winamp: line 7: 2337 Segmentation fault ${WADIR}/Winamp.exe $* >/dev/null 2>&1
dopey@insane:~$ date
Sat Aug 30 12:03:15 BST 2003
dopey@insane:~$

it wouldnt happen to be this version of winamp would it ? ahh well get to see it working for a minute odd anyway
Old 30th August 2003, 11:20   #7
dopey

as it goes does anyone have any news from brennan on how its going ? any beta testers tried it out ? is it any good so far ? it should be pretty decent.. brennan last i heard was

Quote:
"Yep, I am working on it. What's going on right now is this: The original port was of 488 (i.e. 3.0). It's about 75-85% done (kinda guessing, don't hold me to that.) However, wasabi development didn't hold still while the port was being done, so now that old port has to be merged into the latest source tree, and that takes time. I might post the 488-based binary though, just so you guys can play with it. It's not really done and it's compiled in debug mode so it's pretty slow, though, so I don't know if it will be worth the flames and shit if I post it.

--Brennan"
from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....x&pagenumber=2

any newer news on how its going.. damn i wish brennan had released it as a beta then but anyway
Old 31st August 2003, 12:04   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and release the older alpha myself (dated 12/12/02, based on build 488). The new one will be along very soon, but here's the older one just to keep you amused. Firstly, the release notes:

Winamp3 will crash if you try to add files without a playslist, so before you load any files, create a playlist.

Installation:
As of the 12/12/2002 package, the download will be a script that installs winamp itself. It is currently not configurable as to the installation location, but future versions should hopefully be.
As for the older files...
The tarball is packaged slackware style (you might even be able to alien it into an rpm or deb, but I haven't tried), so you can just go to / and untar it.
Either way...
It extracts Winamp into /usr/local/Winamp, and puts a script called Winamp3 in /usr/local/bin (if you move winamp you'll need to update the script to reflect where it was moved).

Invocation:
Winamp can be run with a few arguments (which default to playlist strings), though it does accept -skin=<SkinName> and --installskin=<filename.wal>. The first will cause SkinName to be loaded as opposed to the previously loaded skin, and the second will install the wal file into /usr/local/Winamp/Skins, so that it can be loaded in the future (and theoretically allow you to set this up as a helper application for your browser).
Also Winamp3 will (unless you allow multiple instances to start in preferences) send the arguements to the currently running process. This allows you to (from the command line) play new files without invoking a new copy of Winamp.
Also if Winamp3 won't start up, you can try either removing it's initialization data in ~/.studio, or setting the environment variable WASABI_LOG_FILE to indactate a file in which to put debugging messages (- will indicate stdout)

Drag and Drop:
Winamp3 for linux supports Xdnd style drops from other clients. It recieves text/uri-list, text/plain, or text/x-moz-url as supported types, so it will only work with applications that supply these types.

Known Problems:
  • Non-Rectangular windows have some problems under KDE.
  • Skin switching seams to have some problems - and if you're installing a new skin, make sure you have write permission in /usr/local/Winamp/Skins
  • Keyboard focus is messed up on EditWnd's
  • Popup menus won't go away when you click away from them.
  • No Video support
  • Can't tell directory chooser not to include subdirs (or cancel)
  • Double Clicking in the file seleciton widget does weird stuff, and the up/home buttons don't work.
  • F2 doesn't let you edit a playlist name.
  • Lot's of efficiency problems (which cause some problems on skins other than Default)
  • No Desktop Transparency
  • Moving windows isn't quite perfect. I'm not sure how to describe it, but try it, and you'll probably see what I'm talking about

Finally: This version bears little resemblance to the Linux build being worked on at the moment. Do not report bugs - not to the team, nor the bug reporting forum, nor to me. I cannot supply any support for this build whatsoever, so don't bother. Please don't publicise this widely. We hold no liability for damage to your computer and/or sanity caused by this build.

If I have any problems with this, I will not hesitate to pull it.

Download it here.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 31st August 2003, 12:22   #9
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
We love you Russ.

Old 31st August 2003, 20:38   #10
dopey

nice 1 mate.. thanks alot russ

out of curiosity any1 whos downloaded it managed to make it work ?

aha worked out what was wrong if you have the old alpha installed remove the .studio in your ~root and ~username and then install it and it works as root woohoo

also other thing if ya wanna get the tgz vi or use your favorite editor and:

look for this
# delete the temp files
cd $PREV
#rm -rf $WRKDIR

hash out the last line and in /tmp youll have a dir called selfextract.whatever and the dist.tar.gz is the tarrball.. anyway thanks russ got it working at last

Last edited by dopey; 31st August 2003 at 22:40.
Old 2nd September 2003, 19:55   #11
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Just a hint: you might be better installing/running it as root, and then working from there. I had permissions problems with it, and the error messages it causes aren't that obvious. I had to e-mail Keith to help, and I dunno where he's disappeared to these days...

Old 3rd September 2003, 03:43   #12
dopey

thanks again russ for pointing that out couldnt work out why it would just give this error and exit as normal user:
dopey@insane:~$ Winamp3
/usr/local/bin/Winamp3: line 8: 1550 Terminated ./Studio $*

done insane:/usr/local# chown -R dopey:dopey Winamp/

removed the .studio as my normal user (dopey) and weh hey it works

nice one.. that is one cryptic error message.. and the permissions looked ok in /usr/local/.. developer build so to be expected i guess..

also other things i was gonna say is how is the installer going to be done ?

loki released a nice installer before they went under id software use it for most of their games

http://www.lokigames.com/development/setup.php3

its a nice installer gets the job done..
that is if you havent already created an installer.

last thing i was gonna ask is there any way of changing my username with these forums ? from vslick22 to dopey.. vslick22 yeah was fine when i was 21/22 but dopeys been my nick for a long time and i am 24 now.. so would be nice to change the damn name..

anyway thanks for the hint.
Old 3rd September 2003, 09:26   #13
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by vslick22
also other things i was gonna say is how is the installer going to be done ?

loki released a nice installer before they went under id software use it for most of their games
Worth a look I suppose, it'd be nice if it was an RPM/deb/ebuild and it just worked . I'll pass it on all the same.

Old 3rd September 2003, 21:16   #14
dopey

talking of which i was bored.. i sorted out the tgz.. created a new configure script for it in a deb / rpm package the original tgz is available aswell to have a look at it..

http://www.vnet.ndirect.co.uk/Winamp.tgz

the deb

http://www.vnet.ndirect.co.uk/winamp_1-2_all.deb (just used alien after placing sorting out the dist.tgz)

the rpm

http://www.vnet.ndirect.co.uk/Winamp-1-2.noarch.rpm (again just aliened it should work with all rpm distros hopefully aint tested)

the configure script is:

http://www.vnet.ndirect.co.uk/Winamp3

its just a simple bash file, but should work and it sorts out all the probs i experienced.

also thanks russ for the nick change
Old 5th September 2003, 04:21   #15
tgnb

Re: Linux Port?????????

Quote:
Originally posted by severson_carl

mplayer is a great movie player and comes with gmplayer gtk gui interface
www.mplayerhq.hu

rhythmbox is shaping up to be a great music player ala apple iTunes using gtk
http://www.rhythmbox.org/

grip is an awesome ripping/encoding gui using gtk
http://nostatic.org/grip

musik - because w!namp is teh suck.
Similar to rhythmbox nice musik player for linux and also windows.
http://musik.berlios.de

: tgnb :
Old 6th September 2003, 22:20   #16
Kneebracehead

Send a message via ICQ to Kneebracehead Send a message via AIM to Kneebracehead Send a message via Yahoo to Kneebracehead
SWEET! . . . . and i see a dream theater fan . . . .
Old 10th September 2003, 01:09   #17
ashibaka

Russ, you rock!

The Winamp3 "experience" is too intensive for this ol' computer, but on my 1.8GHz I will hopefully be able to use it perfectly.
Old 11th September 2003, 01:36   #18
who_am_i

thanks!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

thanks for that build..
felt like I was being held underwater waiting for a linux build.. thanks for the fresh air.

winamp was the only thing i've been missing since i wiped out windows and went 100% linux

xmms just isn't the same..
Old 11th September 2003, 05:43   #19
WHEREamI
Major Dude

hmm... i'd say "hey, you're cramping my style" but then i saw when you registered. hehe. nice name.

~WHEREamI
Old 11th September 2003, 08:29   #20
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

...And here's me stuck having to use xmms in linux, for strictly unrelated reasons.

Old 15th September 2003, 22:13   #21
madhead

At last I have Winamp for Linux Running (yepee!).

It would be worth a cross post in the other linux forum with 2000+ reads all looking for winamp on Linux.

Top stuff...... I'm looking forward to the Linux version. Ok I won't ask when it will be ready.

One thing in the released Alpha previously you could lookup stations in the shoutcast server lists is this missing in this build or am I being a bit thick ?

I also can't understand why no one posted up about the must run winamp alpha with X in 24 bpp mode or else it crashes. I found a post elsewhere on the web somewhere that the readme was missing from the original Alpha release rpm. (I could have been using Winamp for Linux ages ago)
Old 15th September 2003, 22:17   #22
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

The shoutcast server list was removed for what amounts to legal reasons. It's not in the 3.0 release of the windows build either.

Expect more linux goodness from me soon (maybe) (if I have time)!

Old 5th October 2003, 20:10   #23
crom

dopey,

Just wanted to mention that if you give the script a little wrong input, like f.e "root / root" when asked for a user it does something it should not do....
Old 11th October 2003, 23:31   #24
tomc

You guys Rock!! I was searching for a Winamp replacement today because i switched to Linux and Xmms just doesn't cut it for some things. Anyway I decided to check Winamp themselves and found nothing, then I hit the forums and found you guys. Excellent work, performs flawlessly so far on the latest Mandrake build.
Thanks
TomC
Old 15th October 2003, 22:49   #25
dlichterman
Forum King

WHERE

Ok. I installed the RPM on mandrake, and ran the config file, but i cant find it! Where did it install?
--Dan

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 16th October 2003, 22:55   #26
dopey

hmm dlichterman.. just install the rpm and then run Winamp3 and thats it first time round it asks questions second time round winamp just normally starts

crom very true but then it was just a quick knock up script to get around having to do all the other shit to get it working if you can get that error checking working then feel free too. russ was saying the next version would be available very soon.. so im not sure if its worth it
Old 17th October 2003, 00:50   #27
WHEREamI
Major Dude

i'd say it's worth it. you forget that we're talking about Nullsoft here: soon is about 100 times longer to them than to most people.

As always, i mean no offense, and i'm not complaining, just stating the facts.

~WHEREamI
[edit] couldn't help but notice that i'm a full Member now!! yay!! i feel like i have status. [/edit]
Old 21st October 2003, 01:19   #28
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and release the older alpha myself (dated 12/12/02, based on build 488). The new one will be along very soon, but here's the older one just to keep you amused.
Right. Folks at Nullsoft have been saying this for what - a year an a half now?

Even if you release Winamp 3 for Linux, does it really matter? You guys are canning Wasabi code in favor of *WINDOWS-ONLY* Winamp 5. Who cares anymore? All we see are broken promises and "soon".

You know, I would have paid for Winamp on Linux. I'm not talking about some half-assed port of buggy Wasabi code. I'm talking about Winamp that was stable and based off of the Windows source tree. It's too bad that there isn't enough innovation from Nullsoft anymore to actually merit a program that's worth paying for. Pretty soon, all players, including those on Linux (like Rhythmbox) will vastly overtake Winamp in stability and features. WMP has already won the favor of Windows users. Nullsoft has nothing to offer but buggy code and broken promises.

Sorry guys. You're but an eclipse of something that was once great. You stood for something and had big supporters of cutting-edge technology and innovations. The real innovators (ahem... Justin and co.) are gone now. These are the people that brought us great technology while telling AOL to screw off. AOL is going to let you dry up any day now, just as they've done to Netscape - now a budget Internet provider.

Man... This is sad. Nothing personal Russ. You're just doing your job. I just feel bad for those people that keep holding on for something that is never going to happen. I understand that you might not feel that Linux is a viable choice (unless AOL has something to do with the decision), but you guys are really running out of options. I'll be the first to drop $50 on your doorstep when a solid Winamp port of 5x arrives. Sadly, that'll never happen.
Old 21st October 2003, 10:06   #29
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

do you know there is currently 1 GUY! working on winamp3, working to port it to linux, you know how difficult that is? untill you have some comprehntion of what is going on, shut the fuck up.
Old 21st October 2003, 12:08   #30
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

How about "never". The official line is that Winamp3 development is now stopped. Shelved. At least temporarily. And here I am sitting here trying to look optimistic. It's not "soon" any more, it's "maybe".

The golden rule of customer service is: Give the customer what they want. The customer didn't want Winamp3, that much is clear. The customer didn't care about the most powerful API this side of, well, anything. They didn't care about platform independence. The average Winamp user is only vaguely aware of what Linux is, let alone how to use it. Much less than 1% of Winamp users want Linux support.

Winamp 5 is what the customer wanted. The customer loves it.

Once the customer has what they want, maybe we can pick up Winamp3 again. Maybe. It's not my job to decide - I don't even work here. It's not Nullsoft's to decide. It depends if AOL wants to devote any more resources to it, and believe me Nullsoft are trying.

And I'm trying my utmost to keep Winamp3 going - however possible - but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I'm also holding on for something that may never happen, and I'm going to be the one that's most disappointed if it doesn't. Not your casual Linux user. You wouldn't believe how much of my unpaid personal time and effort I've put into this project, to see it go to waste. If there's anything I can do about it, I will.

Sorry if that sounded pessimistic, but that's because it is.

Old 21st October 2003, 17:28   #31
zborgerd

Quote:
How about "never". The official line is that Winamp3 development is now stopped. Shelved. At least temporarily. And here I am sitting here trying to look optimistic. It's not "soon" any more, it's "maybe".

The golden rule of customer service is: Give the customer what they want. The customer didn't want Winamp3, that much is clear. The customer didn't care about the most powerful API this side of, well, anything. They didn't care about platform independence. The average Winamp user is only vaguely aware of what Linux is, let alone how to use it. Much less than 1% of Winamp users want Linux support.

Winamp 5 is what the customer wanted. The customer loves it.

Once the customer has what they want, maybe we can pick up Winamp3 again. Maybe. It's not my job to decide - I don't even work here. It's not Nullsoft's to decide. It depends if AOL wants to devote any more resources to it, and believe me Nullsoft are trying.

And I'm trying my utmost to keep Winamp3 going - however possible - but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I'm also holding on for something that may never happen, and I'm going to be the one that's most disappointed if it doesn't. Not your casual Linux user. You wouldn't believe how much of my unpaid personal time and effort I've put into this project, to see it go to waste. If there's anything I can do about it, I will.

Sorry if that sounded pessimistic, but that's because it is.
That's kinda what I was trying to say, but I guess I came off a bit rude on the subject. I just meant that it semed that it was getting less and less likely that there would ever be a Linux release of any Winamp product. Your response just confirmed that.

Sorry to see all of your work get no appreciation.

Winamp used to be my player of choice. I was just hoping that we'd see a Linux version some day, based off of the same codebase. XMMS isn't a bad program, but it's still just a poor Winamp clone that's seeing very little development these days. Oh well. Here's hoping for some good things with the GStreamer framework.
Old 23rd October 2003, 18:21   #32
dopey

your fucking with me ? so what i thought was gonna happen happened...

ahh well.. i was gonna say if they wanna sorta release it under a restrictive licence then maybe the community can finish the port

us signing an nda or something or loosening it up.. gimme a few months to finish off my project and id step my neck in aswell.
Old 24th November 2003, 14:58   #33
dopey

russ any updates on whats going on i aint heard anything in a while i heard its changing to the wasabi player again or something.. if any new updates / news available it would be cool to hear thanks.
Old 24th November 2003, 16:03   #34
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I hope to announce some significant progress in this area quite shortly. I'm now much more optimistic than I was when I last posted.

In short: Winamp3 will not be going away any time soon .

Old 24th November 2003, 19:40   #35
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

now that's just not nice.
why the hell would you want to kill it?
If you don't like it, don't use it, but let the ones who do like it use it and develop for it if they want to.

geez

-Plague
Old 25th November 2003, 00:18   #36
zborgerd

Quote:
I hope to announce some significant progress in this area quite shortly. I'm now much more optimistic than I was when I last posted.

In short: Winamp3 will not be going away any time soon .
Huh? Good news, I hope! I'd like to see Winamp on Linux. Good luck with it. Thanks for the hard work!
Old 27th November 2003, 20:05   #37
dopey

yeah as zborgerd said good luck on it man, hopefully we see something soon.. but dont rush it.. the version u released works, plays audio and shit, so its all good, hopefully next version we can skin it without it crashing

i gotta say this ive got a nice system as far as audio is concerned i got sblive plat 5.1 goin through to a yamaha amp (u know they just kick ass) then through to some decent powerful speakers (150 w rms) winamp just draws the bass gives it clarity i cant explain it but u can hear it with xmms it distorts it doenst sound the same, it dont handle volume. Im guessing its the codec is there a difference ? is it just me ? thats why i aint all that bothered that i cant drag and drop and half the other shit dont work.. it plays the tracks so its all good
Old 28th November 2003, 01:14   #38
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey
yeah as zborgerd said good luck on it man, hopefully we see something soon.. but dont rush it.. the version u released works, plays audio and shit, so its all good, hopefully next version we can skin it without it crashing

i gotta say this ive got a nice system as far as audio is concerned i got sblive plat 5.1 goin through to a yamaha amp (u know they just kick ass) then through to some decent powerful speakers (150 w rms) winamp just draws the bass gives it clarity i cant explain it but u can hear it with xmms it distorts it doenst sound the same, it dont handle volume. Im guessing its the codec is there a difference ? is it just me ? thats why i aint all that bothered that i cant drag and drop and half the other shit dont work.. it plays the tracks so its all good
I've found that many of XXMS's problems stem from using soundcards without hardware EQ support. I've pulled my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (which isn't as functional in Linux as Windows) and am using an Aureal SQ2500 Vortex 2 card. It sounds *fantastic*, and as good as Winamp did on Windows when I was using the Santa Cruz. The key was adjusting a hardware EQ through my ALSA mizer. It made a huge difference.
Old 3rd December 2003, 19:17   #39
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

yeah, if they plan on scrabing it, then maybe they could release some source code for some of the trusted devoted developers in here, Will, Russ, Plague etc.... and brew up some licence to accompany it.

Yeah, i know, i'm dreaming, but.... i don't know, sometimes dreams comes true, i just really hate to see this project go.

and can't Brennan release the work he's done with the Winamp Linux port? i mean if he has a version that's working better than the alpha, and development is being stopped.... what can it hurt?

i doesn't need to be an official release, he can just release it here in the forums, for us regulars
Old 4th December 2003, 07:24   #40
dopey

Quote:
zborgerd wrote:

"I've found that many of XXMS's problems stem from using soundcards without hardware EQ support. I've pulled my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (which isn't as functional in Linux as Windows) and am using an Aureal SQ2500 Vortex 2 card. It sounds *fantastic*, and as good as Winamp did on Windows when I was using the Santa Cruz. The key was adjusting a hardware EQ through my ALSA mizer. It made a huge difference."
sold on my old comp to my cousin.. so no longer have that soundcard building a new comp now (currently on the server just installed kde on it.. will remove x and kde once the new comp parts arrive)

im not sure about that though, it may well have been this, in the past i used to fiddle a lot with the emu10k1 driver stuff mainly to get the live box working. But i pulled out the box because i just didnt use it and it was taking up a much needed drive bay..
it may have well been something similar to this..
I do rate xmms for what it does its probably the best or one of the best open sourced mp3 players in linux..

on a completely different note anyone have any experience with the ati closed source drivers ? im in 2 minds whether or not to order an ati card from what i hear the 2d acceleration seems to be shit with their driver, but im tired of nvidias chipset overpricing (was looking into either an fx5600 or a radeon 9600 anyone have any better suggestion for about 100 quid ? )

ertmann by the sounds of it seems brennan and russ are under some splintering tactics not sure though.. i doubt they can open source it, aol can be cunts when it comes to this sort of stuff.. i only have to mention "waste", gpled, slashdotted, taken off and denied.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development