Old 10th November 2003, 09:58   #1
DrO

Extended Playlist

Extended Playlist

After seeing Plague's wish list here i've started on an alternative playlist for winamp (which will interface with the existing one but should add a lot more to it).

the current features that i am going to work on are:[list=1][*]sidecar support and integrated poppler style usage[*]multiple playlist support (that winamp3/wasabi player thing )[*]enqueue support (like in the Jump to file Extra plugin) but in the playlist[*]drag and drop from playlist to 'x' support (eventually i hope from here)[*]support for original playlist styles [*]hopefully support for winamp versions below 2.9x[*]eventually most of the original playlist options[*]support for playlist plugins to be added into the sidecar area (long way off that one but is on a similar idea to the media library plugins)[/list=1]a full version is some way off at the moment (test version should be by this weekend to show how it is and if there are any issues with other systems and all that )

if you have an suggestions on things to work on / add then please post them here. i'll consider most things and those which are commonly asked for / sensible to add will hopefully be implemented at some stage.

-daz
Old 10th November 2003, 11:47   #2
mark e
Major Dude

wow... cool!
i'd like to see the "deleting file from playlist" feature...
Old 10th November 2003, 12:20   #3
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

We love you!
This is one thing Winamp 5 is seriously lacking to be able to really compete with Winamp3/Wasabi Player.

Can't wait to test it.

-Plague
Old 10th November 2003, 12:27   #4
DrO

@Plague: 'love' is a strong word but i know what you mean.

the first version will be very rough (internally i'm numbering the current builds as 0.0x) but it should show a basis of things (single playlist support, a sidecar area, etc)

i'm looking forward to this now myself - just want to be on my machine right now so i can code, code code

@mark e: taken on board - was thinking of extending the delete options provided

-daz
Old 10th November 2003, 12:32   #5
mark e
Major Dude

okay! thanks!
and like Plague said: We love you!
Old 10th November 2003, 12:54   #6
amano
Major Dude

WOW, DrO does it again! what will be next. I will have to convinve him to add extended bookmark support to winamp (so that you can bookmark not only the song, but also the time position.) I don't like the amarok plugin with it's unskinned extra window). This could be added to DrO's Timerestore plugin. so that it can restore the time position by loading a bookmark.

DrO, you are the man!

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 10th November 2003, 13:01   #7
DrO

Quote:
what will be next
sleep

as for the timerestore option - maybe (that's on low development priority at the moment)

-daz
Old 10th November 2003, 17:40   #8
josk

:)

Finally Keep going!
Old 10th November 2003, 22:18   #9
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

as for the timerestore option - maybe (that's on low development priority at the moment)
whoowhoo, first step taken.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 11th November 2003, 07:46   #10
DrO

@amano: i may eventually add the timerestore into this plugin (it does seem that it is related to the playlist so i would be happy to put the option in eventually )

Current work done:
* added in an on/off to make testing of the integration easier
* got a 'sidecar' area in place, just need to set up a dummy window for it
* sidecar bar can either be vertical or horizontal (could be useful...)
* better handling of the display of the files - looks more like winamp now and not just a few columns
* 'alt+p' keyboard accelerator and a menu item on the 'pl' button
(integrated right-click menu will be added as well)
* blocks implemented to not run on versions of winamp < 2.9x

as for modern skin support it does work partially but i need to work more on overriding the playlist window - uses different methods to show that i need to look into

-daz
Old 11th November 2003, 12:00   #11
QuietBritishJim

Send a message via Yahoo to QuietBritishJim
Will this support all the classic and freeform skins?
Old 11th November 2003, 12:12   #12
DrO

freeform skins work with it and the current mmd3 skin looks really sweet with things.

with the classic skins i'm only handling winamp v2.9x upwards so if the skin has support for 'gen.bmp' then the window will skin to that style (otherwise it will drop back to the base skin style) - using the winamp3 style skin for that and it looks quite nice i think as things stand.

eventually i hope to work on a way to get versions below 2.9x to work as well but that will be a later release (if it happens)

-daz
Old 11th November 2003, 12:13   #13
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

that was the point.
From my understanding, this is more or less gonna be what I and Egg came up with in the thread, linked in the first post here..

edit:
you beat me to it..

-Plague
Old 11th November 2003, 12:23   #14
DrO

@Plague: speedy fast typing machine me

the way things are going with the development the first release may be more functional than i was aiming for at the start (especially helped on with my sizing bar control working straight away ).

i'm still trawling through other posts about the playlist working out things that could / should end up being implemented into the plugin - have seen a few nice ideas out there that make so much sense but we'll have to wait and see how things pan out...

tonight the aim is to add in handling of the actual playlist manipulation (at least for the playlist copy i have) such as selections, moving, removal etc which will then need to be linked into the original playlist - lots of fun to be done

-daz
Old 11th November 2003, 15:28   #15
Dipso

This is just amazing.

So, the jump to file development has been moved over to this bigger and more ambitious project i assume?

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 11th November 2003, 15:42   #16
DrO

Quote:
So, the jump to file development has been moved over to this bigger and more ambitious project i assume?
jump to file (jtf) will still be developed as a separate plugin. what i am going to do is make use of it's queuing code so that in this plugin there will be the winamp3/wasabi player enqueuing features (alt+click and that) which seems to be a key feature wanted.

the two will continue to be developed closely with each other (a lot of the code from jtf has been taken to get the basis of this new plugin up and running) and also bits from one is likely to help the other one.

that's how i feel will be best for people so they have a better choice of what they want/can use - choice is the best thing i think (as jtf shows)

-daz
Old 11th November 2003, 21:56   #17
Dipso

Sounds about right to me.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 12th November 2003, 04:25   #18
amano
Major Dude

To me too.

I think DrO knows what is good for me.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 12th November 2003, 06:11   #19
WHEREamI
Major Dude

will it be bad to have both installed? seems like they might conflict. maybe not.

~WHEREamI
Old 12th November 2003, 07:27   #20
DrO

hopefully not

i'm looking at setting up certain options and all that to work correctly with both plugins installed. most likely i'll work on a way for the two to 'talk' to each other so that only one will enqueue (configurable of course)
ie
jtf would pass the item to queue to the playlist plugin and that would then run it in that queue

but that would be later on i think and there's a lot of coding to do to get to such a working state

-daz
Old 12th November 2003, 08:47   #21
DrO

dev update

here's last nights work[list=1][*]added ability to switch on /off the sidecar area (for those who don't want it )[*]config over playlist numbers (using this to work on the display code)[*]basic dragging support of items in the list[*]fixed a few graphical issues with the list sizing and how the time column reacts[*]integrated main menu item (now fully supported in all areas )[/list=1]at the moment the current test builds aren't fully working for the over-riding of the playlist button but that will be fixed for the test release -> i needed to break it to get the menu integration working.

also the sizingbar i use for the sidecar area has a few issues with initial placement/restore -> that will be fixed soon (the code for that hasn't been touched for a good 8 months and i knew there were a few problems with things )

as things are it looks like saturday for the test release (don't expect the world is all i can say )

as normal any changes, etc i'll post here -> think it helps to know how the development and all that is going (but that's just me )

-daz
Old 12th November 2003, 22:17   #22
lunarboy1
Forum King

this soudns friggin awesome... nullsoft... hire him!! hahah

good work my man, you're a coding banshee
Old 12th November 2003, 22:35   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

go DrO go

btw,
will the sidecar just display whatever playlists are loaded in library > playlists,
or will it (also) work independently? (as in Winamp3)

Also, will you be able to have both standard pledit and extended pledit open at the same time? Or, say if you open ext pledit, will standard pledit automatically close? Or will extended pledit just replace standard one (like JTFE plugin does with default JTF)?

Whatever the case, we're all certainly looking forward to this
Old 12th November 2003, 22:51   #24
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Absolutely awesome, DrO

Within just a short period of time you have been able to develop 3 much needed and much requested Winamp features. Way to go!!! My compliments to you, sir!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 12th November 2003, 23:13   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Make that 5
There's also "Find on Disk" and "One Click Show & Hide"
See here for details
Old 12th November 2003, 23:21   #26
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Sheesh, Egg! DrO is HOT!! Wow. I am really impressed. Where did DrO come from? Where has he been all this while (before 09-18-2003)? Nullsoft could have used his coding expertise 2 years ago. LOL!

DrO...

KUDOS to you on work well done !
Old 12th November 2003, 23:25   #27
Andrea6187

Send a message via ICQ to Andrea6187 Send a message via AIM to Andrea6187
When it's done?I'm impatient...
Old 12th November 2003, 23:58   #28
winxi

Keep up the good work! You are great!
greets
Old 13th November 2003, 08:40   #29
DrO

Quote:
When it's done?I'm impatient...
never saw that one coming!

Quote:
will the sidecar just display whatever playlists are loaded in library > playlists,
or will it (also) work independently? (as in Winamp3)
not sure yet on that really at the moment - still working out the best way to get the two to work between each other before i work on those things. multiple playlists is going to be fun to do i think (ie how to handle the extended playlist being closed so that the original playlist has contents)

as for the displaying of the playlists i'm working on that at the moment. currently the option is that if the original pl is open then the new one will replace it and then if turned off it will restore back the original playlist. having issues due to code changes to ensure that the 'pl' button shows as activated correctly if either are visible - the original code i had worked partially but i needed to break it to get the menu handling in - will get it fixed someway

Quote:
Where did DrO come from?
[insert comedy response here...]
i've been keeping an eye on the forums for a few years (was quite inspired by the winamp3 development), slowly learning things and all that. as for the coding of things, i only started properly doing win32 programming 2 years ago so i think about now has been a good time to start outputting decent code

Quote:
Whatever the case, we're all certainly looking forward to this
how to put the fear of god into someone
with time it will improve and should eventually turn out good (i hope) but there should be at least a single playlist verison working within the month i hope (all depends on how things go and how much time i have) but it's not too bad after only a week just to show a few things off.
Old 14th November 2003, 10:02   #30
DrO

shot me before the ideas start flowing ;)

just had a brain wave on things (you can tell when work is dull )

as i've mentioned earlier i've got the sidecar bar in place and the one i've added in can work horizontally and vertically. what i was thinking is if it could also be useful to decide where the playlist area is put.

ie
if the bar is vertical then the playlist could be put on the righthand side
or
if the bar is horizontal then the playlist could be put in the top area

thought i'd bounce this off (can't remember what poppler was able to do at the moment)

-daz
Old 14th November 2003, 10:21   #31
WHEREamI
Major Dude

yup, poppler can do all of that. Or at least the later popplers can. Check out wa3/WP #499c, or poppler2 for wa3 1.0. The sidecar can be put on any of the four sides.

~WHEREamI
Old 14th November 2003, 10:26   #32
DrO

i couldn't remember what it did. thanks for the info WHEREamI, i'll put that in tonight then

-daz
Old 14th November 2003, 17:57   #33
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
yup, poppler can do all of that. Or at least the later popplers can. Check out wa3/WP #499c, or poppler2 for wa3 1.0. The sidecar can be put on any of the four sides.

~WHEREamI
Or you could just check with the author of the Poppler, namely me
Yes, Poppler2 can be put on any of the four sides, it can through a menu option be reset to it's default size aswell as have it's current size locked (which means you'll have to hold down SHIFT in order to resize it, or uncheck that option again)..
If you want to have any additional info about it, feel free to ask..

-Plague
Old 14th November 2003, 22:03   #34
WHEREamI
Major Dude

hey now, wasn't trying to steal your thunder or anything! hehe. just trying to be helpful

~WHEREamI
Old 14th November 2003, 22:56   #35
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yea I know, just thought I'd do some self-promoting

-Plague
Old 14th November 2003, 23:47   #36
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I use very little 3rd party plugins for WA2/5, and did the same for WA3, almost none. Poppler replacement was one I did use though. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2003, 12:42   #37
DrO

@Plague: forgot about that

here's the current dev snapshot very early alpha so you've been warned.

not a lot works but it shows that an area can be put in so enjoy the woot version (he he - from the v0.0t and that was not intended)

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_playlistex_v0_0t.zip (9.0 KB, 1339 views)
Old 15th November 2003, 14:30   #38
Andrea6187

Send a message via ICQ to Andrea6187 Send a message via AIM to Andrea6187
the preview is very good(and very alpha:-))
Old 15th November 2003, 14:45   #39
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrea6187
the preview is very good(and very alpha:-))
that's only a few hours work that so it's not too bad considering

the next version will be better by then - should have the displaying of the playlist and overriding the original one sorted out by then (so clicking on the 'pl' button will be able to open the extended one correctly). that'll keep DJ Egg happy i think

-daz
Old 15th November 2003, 14:56   #40
QuietBritishJim

Send a message via Yahoo to QuietBritishJim
Wow! I'm impressed by how seamlessly you've replaced the normal playlist window!

I don't know if you're already planning this, but winshade mode would be useful. Perhaps you could use the built-in playlist editor's winshade to save implementing it yourself.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion