Old 11th January 2004, 21:53   #1
bitcore

Send a message via AIM to bitcore
Random preset choosing code

I find sometimes that with a huge collection of presets, some presets tend to be favored more than others, even after the preset rating system has been turned off.
I did a test myself, setting the preset time to 2 seconds and recording how many time each preset was chosen out of 5 presets. All 5 ratings were set to 3, and the test was ran.
Results:
1=146
2=113
3=91
4=90
5=91
Preset's 1 and 2 were favored among the 5 presets. It's not that bad but pure random would yield near equal results. Not only does it not 'seem' random enough, it does seem to favor some numbers. I suggest using a psuedo-random number generator that allows for result skewing based on the preset ratings. Be sure to pick a good source for entropy or else your back where you stared.

What I would also love to see is the option to skew the random amount of time between preset changes to favor higher rated presets and shorten lower rated presets, or even make this default. Obviosuly, if a preset is very spectacular, you'd naturally like to watch it a little longer than the lower rated presets. You especially would want to watch a low (1) rated preset for much less time than a better preset because usually they get boring after a while. This would be much better than simply deleting the semi-boring presets that add a great deal of enjoyment when only viewed for a short amount of time. Not a big deal, just a nice feature I'm sure many people would like to see.

What also irks me is when there is a large collection of presets (300+), occasionally it will choose a preset that was ran only a few transitions ago. I find that the most distracting of all.

I love milkdrop, I’m not criticizing it in any way, I just have found some annoying bits concerning the random preset choosing. If milkdrop does any of these things already, it isn't quite effective enough to notice.

Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2004, 18:10   #2
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Re: Random preset choosing code

Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore

What also irks me is when there is a large collection of presets (300+), occasionally it will choose a preset that was ran only a few transitions ago. I find that the most distracting of all.
So you don't want it random then?

The whole randomisation thing is a can of worms as most don't address the 'what is random' Ryan Geiss actually wrote the core random engine in the Winamp playlist and somewhere on the winamp site is a article he wrote abut it a couple of years ago.

Hats off though for testing and recording those 500 or so times for thse 5 presets.

ALthough sadly I do not see many changes to the 'randm' engine.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 23:17   #3
bitcore

Send a message via AIM to bitcore
yah it is quite random to begin with, but to make it "human random" which I would describe as making it really rare for it to choose a preset that has been played withen the last few presets...
say, dont play the last 10% of the total library to choose from that have already been played.
Whatever. Nevermind, silly post, my bad.

Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Feature Requests