Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 5th August 2004, 11:57   #1
sivann

URL Length is Insufficient in winamp straming (~260 chars)

This problem existed from version 2.x

As stated in the link below:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....&highlight=url

the url winamp can recognize for "streaming" playing is too short (259 characters). This is especially true for non-7bit characters where the urls have to be encoded, thus reducing the effective length to 1/3.

Please fix this problem since it renders winamp usage useless for most applications which need a long url.

I repeat that this is not OS or filesystem specific. It is just an easy-to-fix limitation of winamp.
It is not also about the initial url passed to winamp.

In the "streaming" case, when a user clicks to a link which contains a url locator (the equivalent of .ram in real), this link returns url2 where the actual audio data is. The problem is in the length of url2.

It is about the length of the url returned when a user clicks to a link in the "streaming" case.

See also http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....&highlight=url

Please, fix this...I'm desperate

-Spiros
sivann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 15:02   #2
Frozen4Time

Send a message via AIM to Frozen4Time
Are the Winamp people jsut ignoring this bug? I have seen it mentioned a large number of times. It seems like they have stopped responding to this bug report.

I have also seen people suggest that it is a windows filesystem limitation. However, since the problem is between winamp and a remote server. I don't see how the URL lenght can have anything to do with the windows filesystem. Additionally, Windows Media Player handles the URLs just fine.

I have been seeing this bug a lot and it is quite frustrating. Do the winamp people think that this is:

A) Not really a bug?
B) To hard to fix?
C) They don't know?

Just wondering what the final word is here.

~Mike
Frozen4Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 17:01   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's not exactly a bug. It's a feature request . . . ie. support for url's longer than 260 characters needs to be implemented.

I can add it to the official wishlist if you wish...?

Also, it would probably help if someone could provide a sample url (all the links in those old threads are dead), so we can see it working in WMP but not Winamp (ie. if it is a bug, we've got to be able to reproduce it before it can be fixed).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 17:39   #4
DrO

File paths are limited to a maximum of 260 characters as defined by MAX_PATH in the windows api headers. Winamp was built around file playback with stream support being later added in. Note it was not added from the start and due to the nature of winamp in an attempt to maintain a standard level it was not increased (from what i've gathered).

How to fix this, i'm not sure. Maybe the internal buffer sizes could be increased easily and some checks put in to see if it is a stream or not and then limit the buffer size based on that. The down size of this is that i think urls can be upto 4096 characters long which could mean that you end up with ~3.5k extra memory needed to be allocated for a single playlist item just to cope incase it is a stream. That's not bad for a small playlist but when you're looking at 10k songs upwards as people do have nowadays, that will increase the potential memory useage by a lot (almost into the realms of WMP).

I'm just making some assumptions and i could be wrong but's that's what i've seen from the development i've done for Winamp.

As DJ Egg points out, if we can have working links then things can be tested and confirmed and then something _may_ be done about this. Since there's no one to develop the core at the moment then any attempt at a fix is someway in the future even if that will happen, that's just how things are

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 18:09   #5
Frozen4Time

Send a message via AIM to Frozen4Time
Ok,

Here are the url's:

The link to the MP3:

http://streamline.sourceforge.net//t...SmoothKeyz.Mp3

The link to the playlist:

http://streamline.sourceforge.net//t...t/playlist.m3u

The link to the dir they both are in:

http://streamline.sourceforge.net//t...r%20we%20want/

Basically, if you try to paste the url into the open url feature of winamp, you will notice it will truncate the url. So I suggest downloading the playlist and trying to open that. You can open the playlist and see that winamp won't work. You can also open the playlist in WMP and see that it does work.

Do you see this behavior?
Frozen4Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 12:06   #6
sivann

DJEgg please do mark it as you wish for fixing, but it is not a feature, it is a bug, urls aren't limited by filename sizes, and can be of infinent size. IE has a hard limit of a few kb (something between 2-4 as I remember).

I repost a test url here:

http://manolito.image.ece.ntua.gr/~s...namp/send1.php

I must repeat that this problem occurs only in "streaming mode" in winamp. It handles direct large url with no problems.

The playlist memory size problem can be avoided easilly by defining a table with pointers to malloc()ed strings instead of a table of static-sized urls, so this is not really a problem.

Thank you.

-Spiros
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:13   #7
sivann

any progress here?
just tried Winamp 5.092 and this bug still exists.
Pleaaaseee fix it! It mustn't be a hard one..
-S
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:52   #8
DrO

it is since a lot of the plugins and internal structures are limited to a MAX_PATH size. one of the devs did have a look at it recently but there's a lot needed to ensure everything is updated and introducing new bugs isn't favoured at the moment.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 11:45   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As I said originally, it is a feature request, because support for url's longer than 260 chars needs to be implemented. As DrO says, it's not as simple a fix as you might think, but maybe one day (sooner rather than later) it might be implemented. At the moment, we are very grateful to Frozen4Time for keeping those test url's alive...

Until then, this thread/entry will remain referenced in the Known Glitches section of the Known Bugs sticky (note all the red asterisks after some of the entries).
Old 5th July 2005, 17:43   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You'll be glad to know that this issue is fixed in the latest internal build.
Old 1st August 2005, 13:57   #11
sivann

Thanks! I can't wait :-)
Old 1st August 2005, 18:09   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The fix is included in 5.094
(which was still internal at the time of posting, ie. 3+ weeks ago).
Old 1st August 2005, 18:17   #13
sivann

Oh god, I was waiting for 5.10 :-) It works perfectly!
Thank you all.
-S
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports