Old 30th August 2004, 18:01   #1
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Polite request to Death Reaper and KuruptNetRadio

hate to be the one to make this thread, but
you guys need to get out of eachothers hair.

seen 5 or 6 threads already where the actual topic has been drivin to the background because you started your own little flame war in these topics.

could we come to some kind of agreement?

Reaper you promise to be less hard on the n00bs, and give some support instead of posting the search answer everytime.

Kurupt you promise to stay out of threads that Reaper posted in unless you have something to add that has something to do with the thread topic.

how about it guys, lets keep this place friendly and let's stick together in helping out those that understand shit about Shoutcasting?

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 18:48   #2
Death Reaper
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Death Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Death Reaper
Ok, I'll be less harsh on the n00bs. I still am going to post to search though, just a little more polite sometimes.

I honestly think kurrupt just signed up to start flaming me. Maybe one of his posts wasn't a flame against me. The rest of his posts had nothing to do with the topic and were flaming me.

I really could care less because he doesn't get to me at all. I get this stuff all the time, he can try, but he can't break me.

Anyway, I am going to maybe post something (do we really have a faq thread?) that covers all of the questions people ask so often

If anyone wishes to help me with this (gathering information from other posts, typing up F.A.Q. questions for it) feel free to IM me (stuff in profile) Yes, korrupt, even you can help if you want.

Regards,

Death Reaper
Death Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 19:00   #3
djmastermind
Forum King

I agree with spaceplay. I've been around here for awhile (as spaceplay has) and I know we've both noticed a change in the way tech support is being done around here. We do need to point out the FAQ sections and the Search feature, but it can certainly be done in a different way then flaming and (yes, it's been done..) calling them idiots.

I've gotten PMs from people saying that they're frightened to post on these forums because they fear they'll get immediately flamed. I'm not sure about you all, but I find that to be a real shame when people don't want to use SHOUTcast because of the tech support people. If we love the technology enough to do support, we should be more open to those who know little about it so that they can learn.

-- Michael
djmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 19:03   #4
Death Reaper
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Death Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Death Reaper
I have to admit (as I said in PM to spaceplay) I think I may have been a bit grouchy. I have cleaned up my act and will now post without calling them idiots, even though I still may think they are

Anyone got a free macro program? I really don't feel like typing out links or going and copy/paste.

Regards,

Death Reaper
Death Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 19:27   #5
DjDemonD

Now I've not long been on these forums and I’m not here to make enemies but it seems that people are being stomped on fairly frequently and considerably harshly.

Were I a n00b to forums, shoutcast usage or the internet in general I would feel unwelcome here. But I’m not so it doesn’t bother me enough to leave. In fact the forum has been extremely enlightening when I've been able to put the fires out and find the information.

The fact that people take a long time to grasp things and figure it out for themselves and the fact that they never RTFM is something to be accepted. No one is going to be able to change the constant stream of seemingly ignorant people who turn up and ask seemingly stupid questions.

In a forum perhaps mostly about technical issues like shoutcast this is an immutable fact.
DjDemonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 01:36   #6
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I pretty much don't even post or reply to tech support questions anymore unless it's evident that the person has read the blatantly obvious "How to find the answer (READ ME FIRST)" post which can't be missed at the top of the forum.

If you're too lazy to read something that obvious then I'm too lazy to help you. Not being mean - that's just the way it is. RTFM - and I mean that in a nice way. Not even going to waste my time telling them to read what they already ignored the first time.

Using that simple rule I avoid flame wars.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 03:15   #7
ruffdawg
Major Dude

Im going to have to completly agree on this topic. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but I have noticed quite a bit of flaming and n00b bashing going on.

I used to post a hell of alot on these forums (as some of you might remember) and I tried to offer Shoutcast help to the best of my abilities. Nowadays I have noticed a decrease in the level of maturity around here.

Now I dont really concider myself a n00b since I've been here for quite a while now, but please try to remain polite and civilized. Also, don't forget to stay on topic.

PS: I like Jefferson Airplane

Playin' the best classic rock trax
www.ruffdawgradio.com
ruffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 03:45   #8
djmastermind
Forum King

MegaRock.. I understand your argument. The FAQs and stickies are there for a reason. Some people, though, are in a rush or just don't read things (we all do that online, do we not?). I believe that it is our duty as volunteer tech supporters to point people to these stickies politely and have them read.

If they pull the oh so familar "i dunt git it tll me howwww!1", we should politely tell them that we can't walk them through every step. It's polite, simple, and keeps the peace.

-- Michael
djmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 11:13   #9
ClubbedOut

Quote:
Originally posted by DjDemonD
Now I've not long been on these forums and I’m not here to make enemies but it seems that people are being stomped on fairly frequently and considerably harshly.

Were I a n00b to forums, shoutcast usage or the internet in general I would feel unwelcome here. But I’m not so it doesn’t bother me enough to leave. In fact the forum has been extremely enlightening when I've been able to put the fires out and find the information.

The fact that people take a long time to grasp things and figure it out for themselves and the fact that they never RTFM is something to be accepted. No one is going to be able to change the constant stream of seemingly ignorant people who turn up and ask seemingly stupid questions.

In a forum perhaps mostly about technical issues like shoutcast this is an immutable fact.
This post by DJDemonD sums up my feelings quite well. Personally, I don't tend to bother using these forums that often due to the attitude of many on here and I expect that is the same for many others as well.

I see people being seriously abused for basically being new and asking questions that get asked time and time again. Although it may be frustrating to frequent users to see these things time and time again, for a first time poster being abused in the manner that I have seen of late, will just make them never want to return. All of this is not good for a community, and that is what this place is supposed to be.

Moderators are most definately needed and some people definately need their wrists slapped for being so arrogant and obnoxious.

Just my thoughts on the situation. Now back off into the background again.
ClubbedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 00:56   #10
KuruptNetRadio

Send a message via AIM to KuruptNetRadio Send a message via Yahoo to KuruptNetRadio
I just think that people are coming here for help and you could be polite instead of giving them a hard time. I don't really care anymore...I just ignore his posts.
KuruptNetRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 17:04   #11
JediOnline

Quote:
Originally posted by ClubbedOut
This post by DJDemonD sums up my feelings quite well. Personally, I don't tend to bother using these forums that often due to the attitude of many on here and I expect that is the same for many others as well.

I see people being seriously abused for basically being new and asking questions that get asked time and time again. Although it may be frustrating to frequent users to see these things time and time again, for a first time poster being abused in the manner that I have seen of late, will just make them never want to return. All of this is not good for a community, and that is what this place is supposed to be.

Moderators are most definately needed and some people definately need their wrists slapped for being so arrogant and obnoxious.

Just my thoughts on the situation. Now back off into the background again.
Lastnight I spent about 4 hours trying to get SHOUTcast to work, and the way I got it to work is by SEARCHING this forum, and trying other things on my own.

Basiclly it isn't that hard to go to the search Forum link, and type in key words of the problem you are having, and then start to read. It only takes one to two post to read to tell if the thread is going to help you or not.

Most people want a quick fix, and don't want to have to take the time to search, and research a problem. Most people want to cry to other people in a forum, because hey IT'S FREE.

I say research first then if you can't get it ... ask ... But only after looking thought the forums..

----> Thats just my opinion <--------
JediOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 19:26   #12
DjDemonD

No one disagrees with you, certainly not me, people shoudl search and should try to find out for themself. However when someone comes along and asks a question no matter how many times its been asked that person genuinely didnt deserve to be treated poorly.

Lets seperate whether we are pissed off at "poeple" or "the person who just posted".
DjDemonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 19:35   #13
ClubbedOut

Exactly, manners don't cost a dime/cent/penny/euro/whatever.
Old 14th September 2004, 19:42   #14
ClubbedOut

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
Guys, if you are around here and helping out we surely appreciate it, but I must ask that you restrain yourself from introducing quips in your replies. This goes for all shoutcast tech forums. If I see a quip to the user about how they are an idiot, or how they type stupid or whatever I will immediately edit your reply to remove the infringing statement. If all you did was reply to make fun of the user then I will simply remove your post. I have been getting way too many complaints about a certain few here and I am simply tired of it.

This is your only warning. If you continue to be baligerant to users then I will raise the question of banning you. We need to stay constructive. If someone asks a question previously answered (even though it may have been answered many times) then please point out the relevant search results. If you have nothing constructive to add to a topic I would suggest that you not add to it. Sometimes we get a little jaded about what it is to not know about a particular topic, especially if you have been around here for a while. If you find that the post bothers you then you should probably take a vacation for a bit and relax and let someone willing to constructively be involved in the user's problem help out.
Says it all.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions