Old 16th June 2005, 15:20   #1
elektrovert

How do you good people fund your broadcasting?

Hi All.

I've a couple of questions,

1.See above!

I presume many of the stations on here are also broadcasting through proper FM radio as commerical stations.
But there must be many who only broadcast through the net too, and a lot seem to have very high bandwidth usage.
Are these all privatly funded or are revenues generated through advertising on the web site and stream too??

I'm currently setting up a shoutcast stream purly as a hobby, but I'd be interested in generating revenue to help increase the listenership (if all goes to plan).

2. If I generate money through advertising or donations or whatever, but all that money goes back into buying bandwidth for the shoutcast station, does that still count as a non-profit station?
I hope so, there's no way I'll be able to support more than 30 listeners paying by myself.
It will be an interesting experiance either way.

elektrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 16:18   #2
Nick@ss

a majority of the stations pay for bandwith out of there own pocket,
i have seen some stations asking for donations and i have also seen stations run competitions and donation drives to fund their own radio,

putting a direct link on your site for a donate button and offering a prize for the name pulled out of the hat of donators,
this works if you have enough people listening to your station and can raise enough cash to split between a half decent prize and the bandwith costs

but regardless of how your money is made as soon as you make money you are making a profit therefore you are not a non profit radio

beware as the competition is vast and people that want to buy advertising space will be looking at your webstats to see if you are worth investing in
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 16:30   #3
likearock

Quote:
How do you good people fund your broadcasting?
It comes straight out of the wifes hair and nails budget
likearock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 16:38   #4
elektrovert

Quote:
Originally posted by nick@ss

but regardless of how your money is made as soon as you make money you are making a profit therefore you are not a non profit radio

Yeah, it's a pity that.
YOu'd imagine if none of the money raised is going into my pocket then it wouldn't count as profit.

Ah well, I'll just have to see how it goes.
Hopefully if the station is good enough people will be willing to help out.
I myself have donated money to web sites that I thought deserved some help, so hopefully we'll be doing something other people want to support.

Running student nights in local pubs would be another way to raise funds I suppose.
I might look into that too.
I'm sure the whole thing would pay for itself once the station has a decent number of listeners, but getting to that point is the problem!
I have some people who are willing to help out with the costs so that could work out too, methinks I'll wait till it's up and running for a while before I apporach them though.

@ likearock!

no thanks! I like my head on my shoulders thank you very much!
Old 16th June 2005, 16:48   #5
likearock

You can very easily get 501(c)(3) non profit status.

I had a 501(c)(3) internet station started in 1998-2002, it worked out OK...but you will not find much money even to keep the station afloat.

The best bet is to find another means to an end...start gambling or pan-handling...or ask the boss for some extra hours. You will find most people really just do it for enjoyment, and not for any money at all

And you can always dig into the wifes budget

Being a non profit means your station is something either charitable, educational, or religious, or all of the above...if you can niche any or all of those, you can be a non profit licensed station...but you still have to pay royalties and bandwidth and such...
Old 16th June 2005, 16:56   #6
elektrovert

yeah, that's what I figured, I'll just have to pay for it myself for now.
I'm primarily getting into it for the experiance anyway.
I don't really want to make money either, I'd just like to get a big enough listenership to be able to promote unsigned musicians reasonably well, and that's gonna cost money.

I'll take it as it comes anyhou...
Old 16th June 2005, 17:04   #7
tuckerm
Forum Emo

i dont pay...my mom and dad pay for the internet so im my own server...i have all of my music played in a huge playlist.
i also have a talkshow. and i got all of my equipmwnt from my old dj gig..so basicly everything in my shoutcast station is free
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 20:19   #8
PC Radio Net

Send a message via AIM to PC Radio Net Send a message via Yahoo to PC Radio Net
Everything for us is free as well. Not one red cent has gone into the station and not one red cent has been given to us since we began in August of 1999.

The PC Radio Network: An upbeat variety of the 50s-Today!
PC Radio Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 20:54   #9
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

I don't have a station as such, I pay £10 a month for 20 listeners @ 128kbps and let my mates loose on the server. There is no schedule, no anything really but most often someone is playing some music.
I used to run a station a couple of years ago and asked the djs to donate towards the server if they could afford to do so and it all worked out very well. Quite a few of the larger stations that aren't 'commercial' do this too.
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 00:41   #10
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I do it the same way normal radio does it - I built a good audience and the advertisers jumped right on board. The station fully funds itself without any need for donation begging including station, website, request system and multiple studio internet feeds, software and all required licensing. I run all my own Shoutcast, Windows Media and AAC+ Shoutcast servers, webservers, mail servers and FTP servers for myself and several radio shows that I support.

I've yet to see any other way work for any length of time although a few have managed to do it - but those are far and few inbetween. Been doing it that way for eight years and still going strong.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 08:32   #11
elektrovert

Nice one Megarock!
Always good to hear of such success.

Hopefully I'll be able to build up such a following, how long were you running before the station became self-sufficent(if you don't mind me asking)?

For the moment I'm just gonna have fun anyway, and if things happen to develop that way then all the better.
Old 18th June 2005, 05:40   #12
Pioneer

I have a good paying job, "if your plan goes well" it should be because you have already created projections on how you will gain revenue for the station. Your station will not be considered non profit unless you have a 501c3. Honestly, it's not even worth it to register as non profit. Earn revenue, develop profit and invest that profit into things that would better your station (whether it is staffing, services, etc).

((YOU PICK. WE PLAY.))
((YOU PICK. WE PLAY.))
w w w . y o u p i c k w e p l a y . c o m
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2005, 21:04   #13
likearock

Quote:
Honestly, it's not even worth it to register as non profit.
Now thats not true at all...Its totally worth it for those that classify as a non profit, the tax breaks, cost cuts, corporate donations, etc...all worth it for any educational/religious/or other-wise non profit entity.

Of course its not worth it if you are for profit, but you wont get licensed anyways lol!
Old 18th June 2005, 22:38   #14
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Originally posted by elektrovert
how long were you running before the station became self-sufficent(if you don't mind me asking)?
Honestly several years I made nothing at all but back then virtually everything on the internet was free. Once it started costing money I was able to cover all expenses within six months though.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 15:49   #15
JE JaggedEdge

Send a message via ICQ to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via AIM to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via Yahoo to JE JaggedEdge
Out of my good 'ol pocket! It's the AMERICAN way. The advertising model does work if you know how to do it, and not try to be like commercial entities.

JE

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly
Request Line: 1-855 588-6767
JE JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 19:19   #16
rootsrockreggae

I was a DJ in Hartford, CT from 1988-91. It was on a relatively low power AM radio station of 1,000 watts. Typical college radio AM broadcasters are 250-500 watts. Typical small market AM stations are 1,000-5,000 watts. There's some giants like 770 WABC in NY that broadcast at 50,000 watts day and night. They can be heard in 38 states! Typically, since AM transmissions travel further at night than in the day, most AM stations are required to step down their broadcast output. This also saves them money. Broadcasting started at full power every morning at 6:00am. They'd step down to 200 watts about about 6pm in the winter, about 7 pm in the sping and fall, about 8 pm in the summer.
As a rookie DJ this was the deal, I had to guarantee them $15 per hour for my time slots 10pm-1am, Sunday-Thursday. Somebody else had Friday and Saturday until midnight, then they went off the air, as I had no interest in broadcasting to nobody say from midnight until 2 am, though they thought I should drop Sunday and try Friday and Saturday instead.
The station was Spanish language, carribean music. I played reggae music, preferred the old stuff, but Jamaican hip-hop and dancehall paid the bills.
Hartford, CT has a large Jamaican population. This was the only program I knew of at the time for their market. I am a white man, but I lived in Jamaica for 6 years in the early and mid 1980's and to an extent, "speak the language" much more so then, than now.
I sold ads for about $2.50-3.00 each, generally in blocks of 10 per week. I had to cover $75 for the air time to break even. I generally had 30 commercials per week and made $80. This meant nothing for me. Didn't cover the gas to drive there. Didn't cover the cost of buying a single record. About 3/4 were records companies sent to me, about 1/4 were from my personal collection.
Never made a nickel doing it. Had a lot of fun. Seems my AM broadcast was about the same quality of 32 bitrate.
rootsrockreggae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 13:54   #17
Pioneer

Well, I'm not going to tell my life story, but I have been friends with someone who now owns a very success Internet service company. That doesn't mean my expenses have vanished. I just spent $530 on t-shirts, $300 on a PA system, $100 on polo shirts, $60 for ID badges and other misc. costs for Avery stuff so I could do some things myself. That money came from my day-job.

The best advantage you can ever have is to be resourceful. My costs were actually very minimal, and that is a partial expense list for two weeks operation.

Your first and primary goal with your station should always be: How will I earn a return on my investment? You'll also see that commonly referred to as ROI. If it is not in your plan from the beginning, you will be less motivated as time goes on or when things get rough--trust me, I don't want to have to say I told you so several months from now.

Anyway, best of luck with your station.

((YOU PICK. WE PLAY.))
((YOU PICK. WE PLAY.))
w w w . y o u p i c k w e p l a y . c o m
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 18:54   #18
froggyboy604

Send a message via ICQ to froggyboy604 Send a message via AIM to froggyboy604 Send a message via Yahoo to froggyboy604
I paid for my shoutcast station with my own money. But, my internet friend gave me a discount for using his server to broadcast on the net. I pay 16 usd for 128kbps audio with 20 listener limit.

I sell webspace on my website $12 ayear for 500mb of webspace, and if my listeners donate $5 or more they get an e-mail account. My site also have an online store.

But, i never got a donation, or sale from my site, so basicly now my radio is funded with my own cash.
froggyboy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 20:47   #19
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

@froggy

there is abolutely no use in digging up old threads that no one has posted in for years.

If you do this only to promote your station by telling everybody that you paid everything yourself it serves no purpose.

Don't , you are now only posting just to post.
You don't add anything new .......

See rules and guidelines.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 20:54   #20
froggyboy604

Send a message via ICQ to froggyboy604 Send a message via AIM to froggyboy604 Send a message via Yahoo to froggyboy604
sorry i read the rules and guidlines now, i wasn't advertising my station. I was just answering
elektrovert question. I didn't even know this post was that old.
Old 11th September 2007, 06:23   #21
dirtysouthradio

Send a message via AIM to dirtysouthradio
man u people have it eazy

man ive been paying about 300 -to 500 a month for sever cost for my bandwith it always varsy cause i get stream from these hosting companys and i gte crazy listners as of 3 months ago i was doing like 800 listners and the sever people i was with had to put cap on me they said i was over using my bandwith and as of yesterday this othere compnay i was with cut me off to cause they said i was using way to much bandwith and wanted to me to pay this crazy amount of money ive made money here and there but nothing what i would like to be making i just got new sever with 500 slots and they garnneted me they not going to up my price and i can allways add on and buy extra slot i hope this works out now cause i been using my last ip for like year 5 months and hope all the listners find my new stream there like 40 people tuned in right now ive never had less then 140 to 150 people 24 hours a day for the last year

sorry for the venting

ive been paying for every thing out my pocket for 5 years people call me crazy the liek all the money u spend on that station man 5 years 300 a month is 18.000 wow i really love music if was not for the awards i have won i think i would have gave up ive won 2 awards 2 years in a row and are nominated for a 3 award ive beat out xm & siuris radio to me that crazy lil me has beat out a multi million dolla company for a award just wonder why i beat them twice and they still have not contated me for a show a channel something i guess the only thing o hope for now is a big sponcer to comme in ane help me meat my goal i wanna do internet tv there nothing on shoutcast thats would compare to me i wanna do a kinda like a bet rap city but for the dirty south music but live people can log on live and see shows people can log in see web cams of the djs and artist live i want to buld a full radio station where artist can come do interviews where othere djs can come mix live

hay if there any sponcer out there want to get in on it hit me up in the pm holla

dj hollywood

WWW.DIRTYSOUTHRADIOONLINE.COMITune In Now
DirtySouthRadio <~~Aim For Request
dirtysouthradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:42   #22
DJ Matt

Unfortunately thanks to assclowns abusing the hTtP:// trick for showing HTML (and banner ads) while people listen in Winamp, it no longer exists as well as the ability to make money with mp3/SHOUTcast/iTunes listeners.

Bid4Spots was the "savior" for a little while but you can't rely on it to any extent, especially since there could be dry spells of no ads for weeks at a time. When there finally is an auction people are so desperate they drive the price down to where it isn't worth it.

Anyone who has a Windows Media tuner listing already knows about making money so I'll skip that part...

NetRadio sales is currently a good way to make money if you're a big enough station/group to impress them and get accepted. They handle very large terrestrial radio companies ad streaming so they have access to some big ad bucks...

Rather than brag about my listener numbers I'll just refer you to www.audiorealm.com and you can search for the streams in my signature.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:50   #23
froggyboy604

You guys can try jioning Yuwie and earn cash from them for social networking. I just jioned today they claim to pay you money for socail networking. Even if they don't pay you it's a good way to advertise your radio since there are a lot of active members on there. Plus, you can make a Yuwie club for your radio, so more people know about it.

http://www.yuwie.com/yuwie.asp?r=96688
Old 26th September 2007, 17:59   #24
Wavestreaming
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Wavestreaming Send a message via Yahoo to Wavestreaming
There are also ways to make money via your website, such as affiliate links (eg, ********* and tradedoubler) and google adsense, ( http://www.google.com/adsense )
Wavestreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 17:56   #25
streamfinder

I don't think anybody has mentioned licensing of the music you will be playing... that is the 500 lb. gorilla in the room with everybody who is 'netcasting'.

You have to pay soundexchange to be legal.

Here is how I look at the business model for internet radio
------------
First step is to get traffic - very hard to do.

Once you get traffic you can get advertisers. ($)

Once you get traffic you get listeners.

Once you get listeners you can run audio ads in your stream.

Once you run audio ads in your stream you can start a subscription level for listeners where they skip the ads. ($)

Then you can sell tshirts,hoodies and mugs at cafepress. ($)
--------------

Did I miss anything?

---------------------------------------------------

StreamFinder.com - Add your radio station to our free directory - get more exposure and listeners
streamfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 18:43   #26
calldon

Re: How do you good people fund your broadcasting?

When I was fourteen years old, a friend and I built a 100mw radio station in our town. There was no radio station in the entire county. We did it all ourselves, no money, no advertisers, no income. We did it for fun. But a large newspaper in Memphis ran a story and photo on us. After that, when we visited a local station, they would always give up PSAs and often PSA programs to play on the air. We still have most of those programs, which were always on LP.

AT the time, I was already a pro musician. But if I did not have the music, I would have been in broadcasting this very day. My partner still is, in both video and audio.

Had you started your on-line venture 5 years ago or more, you would have a better chance of making money from it. Today there are so many webcasters to split the finite advertising dollar. In addition, there is the competition of satelite radio which has drained many of my listener base, even as specialized as it is.

I have two stations, one Live365 and one Shoutcast. Both cost money and neither makes a cent. But for me, it is a hobby I love. Golf costs money everytime you play. Fishing costs money. My brother recently bought a new Harley, his second. For what he paid for that, I can run my stations for ten years for the price he paid for that Harley. So my hobby is affordable!!

Do it for fun and don't plan on getting rich with it. Enjoy the music.

D*
calldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 21:13   #27
fc*uk

Re: Re: How do you good people fund your broadcasting?

Quote:
Originally posted by calldon
Do it for fun and don't plan on getting rich with it. Enjoy the music.
Could not have said it better myself.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions