Old 13th June 2007, 07:34   #1
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

How to spread apathy with 20 dollars.

Nothing says, "I don't care," as effectively as a gift card. When you hand someone a gift card you're essentially telling them that you didn't want to spend your precious, finite energy and time to pick out a meaningful, personalized gift for them. Fuck 'em, you were in Wal-Mart buying an industrial size bag of Frito Lays as you tiredly collapsed over the birthday of a loved one/anniversary/whatever. I mean, who could blame you? You've got more important shit to do, like catch the latest episode of Are You Smarter Than a Third Grader? as well as Lary the Cableguy's new special. We wouldn't want to tax you the 2 minutes it takes to walk down an aisle and pick out something you'd think a person would enjoy, they should go get it themselves on their own god damn time.

As the giftee's eyes light up at the mere notion of a present - especially for them, picked out with great precision, taking into consideration their likes, dislikes and admirations - existing they immediately turn a desperate shade of black the moment you pull that gift card out of the bag which includes enough candy to choke the shit out of Mr. Wonka. "To me, you're worth 20 bucks at Wal-Mart or any sister stores, void where prohibited - expires May 2010."

It's like being kicked in the teeth while you watch another guy fuck your girlfriend.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 11:34   #2
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

You missed an important point:
gift cards are saying; "I didn't take any time to pick this out," but they are also saying something cash never quite does:
"...and I don't value your consumer awareness enough to allow you to pick a place of your own choosing."

Gift cards make sense if someone has a favorite restaurant, but then you're calling them fat.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:32   #3
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

And if it's an electronics store, it says "this will require you to spend more than the amount on the card to get something you actually could use."
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:39   #4
Robert Shvern

Everyone involved in the transaction other than the corporation would do better off if we cancelled token gift exchanges or gave a gift that was non-monetary. Why make things both complicated and expensive?
Robert Shvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:36   #5
J.Melo

I think gift cards are weak. cmon. people take the time to go to a store and not buy you anything. the worst part is, you HAVE to spend it at that one store. just give people money if you have no idea what to get. Personally, id rather get money than something I won't use alot. Less crap to collect dust

edit: oh yeah. and who was the genius that decided to give someone LESS money than they would of spent on a gift?
J.Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 02:12   #6
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I don't buy people gift cards, but I don't mind getting them. I mean, really, somebody gets me a gift card for best buy, that's 15 bucks off a video game. Not a bad deal.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 02:27   #7
J.Melo

I have to drive 30 - 40 minutes to get to the nearest Best Buy, but it only takes 10 - 15 mins to get to Future Shop...Which is way better

Anyways, people that give me gift cards always give ones for crappy places.
Old 16th July 2007, 02:46   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

I just figure if they're the sort of person who will give me a gift card, the thing I buy with the card will always be better than what they would have picked out for me.

Old 16th July 2007, 02:55   #9
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I think you are all assuming, as reliable LuigiHann has suggested, that the people getting the gift cards would have the slightest idea what to get you. In my experience, they don't. Not a clue. Please give me the gift card, thanks.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 03:06   #10
J.Melo

My first post in this thread says it all.
Old 16th July 2007, 03:10   #11
LuigiHann
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Melo
My first post in this thread says it all.
Then why do you keep posting?

Old 16th July 2007, 03:37   #12
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Reaffirmation.
Old 16th July 2007, 13:26   #13
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
Then why do you keep posting?
That's why he's on my ignore list
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 15:11   #14
J.Melo

I was on tuckerm's ignore list 6 months ago when I posted once or twice a week. That can't posibly be the reason. Plus, he said that exact same line for something completely different a while ago.

He hates me with a passion for no apparent reason.
Old 26th December 2007, 05:10   #15
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

FUCK.
Old 26th December 2007, 05:42   #16
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
FUCK.
Truer words were never spoken.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 09:52   #17
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

I think Gift Cards are a great idea. But, then again, I usually think of what that person likes and get a card from a store I know they like going to.

For a coworker's baby shower, I knew that she would get a lot of things from family and close friends, so I got her a gift card that was usable at a variety of stores for anything that she might realize down the road she needs.

Quite frankly, after receiving some recent Xmas pressies, I'd rather have gotten gift cards.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 13:24   #18
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I was waiting for a revival of this thread, I got a $20 to Kwik Trip (Gas station), I guess i'll use it more than any other gift card when I fill up.
Old 26th December 2007, 17:07   #19
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I don't mind gift cards at all. Not one bit. If someone complains that I buy them a gift card, I won't buy them anything next time. Someone goes through the trouble to give you a gift and all you can do is complain?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 23:46   #20
eheiney
und keine Eier!

What trouble? Honestly, I'd rather get nothing at all than a gift card.

It feels to me as if most people buy gift cards simply because they think they're obligated to get something for that person. If you really want to get me something, try to find me something that's a tad bit more personal than plastic money.

I'd much more enjoy a gift that you took some time to pick out, something that says, "After all the time that I've known you, I picked this out for you because I thought it would be something that you would really like or could really use or would really mean a lot to you." No, it may not be something that you really want, and you may not even use it all that often, but I take comfort and appreciation in the fact that what was given to me had some actual thought behind it.

Hell, I'd rather take this than a fucking gift card. At least Aunt Clara was thinking of Ralphie when she made, even if she labored under the delusion that he was not only perpetually 4 years old, but also a girl.

To me, it really is the thought that counts.

Old 27th December 2007, 01:10   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Well a couple of people this year got me gift cards to Barnes & Noble and I was pretty happy to get them. I'd much rather pick out a book myself than one I might not want. They would probably rather it be that way as well.

Admittedly, I'm very difficult to shop for so I don't particularly blame anyone.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 13:01   #22
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I guess when it all comes down to it for me I'll take a gift card from someone who is not close to me (eg: distant relative) but if it's someone close to me, I expect them to get me something because they should know me.
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:45   #23
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Meh, gift cards are easier.

Nothing says "fuck you" like the eyes of a person who hates a well thought out present. Gift cards strips out the disappointment.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:44   #24
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

a $20 gift card is never worth $20 to the recipient

a well chosen gift can be priceless

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 04:49   #25
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I had to go all gift cards this year because my family is filled with people who collect things like music, books, and movies. Since I have no idea of the particular thing they want (it's not like they wrote me lists or anything) I got them gift cards. Did I feel cheap and not unlike the biggest douchebag on the planet? Sure did.

I wanted to get personal items, but since school ended three days before and I didn't have money in my bank account until two days before, I figured it would be easier for my family member to get what they wanted AFTER Christmas--it'd be easier than tackling middle-aged women in the mall on the last shopping day of the season and would prevent them from settling for a shitty gift that I hoped would be near enough the mark.

Why the fuck would you balk at a gift card? It's still money. "Oh but it's not enough..." You fucking bitch-ass. If they gave you a fifty dollar bill, would you bitch?

"Oh, but it's at shitty stores..." Garunteed that the people who are buying your gift card don't know you well enough to know where you shop. They just know what you're into, so they get a gift card from a place that they would shop at.

Put yourself in the gift-card givers shoes--it is a well-meaning gift if not totally examined by your bizarre standards--they thought about you.

And whoever said they'd rather get nothing than a gift card--I'd like to call you out on that particular over-dramatic bullshit. Saying something like that would ensure you'd get absolutely nothing the next holiday if you were in my family. Getting something is better than nothing, anybody with any experience in life would tell you that. Grow up.

Way to be ungrateful.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 07:10   #26
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Your argument is invalid and ostentatious.
Old 5th January 2008, 01:42   #27
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle
Why the fuck would you balk at a gift card? It's still money. "Oh but it's not enough..." You fucking bitch-ass. If they gave you a fifty dollar bill, would you bitch?

"Oh, but it's at shitty stores..." Garunteed that the people who are buying your gift card don't know you well enough to know where you shop. They just know what you're into, so they get a gift card from a place that they would shop at.
It's not about the "shitty stores", and it certainly isn't about the money.

But since you brought it up, who really wants a gas card? Whose eyes really glimmer when they open that gift and see a card to Walmart? Who is really excited to get a certificate to McDonald's or Burger King? No one, that's who. Nobody wants to get any of those things for Christmas. Sure, they'll use them, but I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find someone who actually enjoys those "gifts".
Quote:
And whoever said they'd rather get nothing than a gift card--I'd like to call you out on that particular over-dramatic bullshit. Saying something like that would ensure you'd get absolutely nothing the next holiday if you were in my family. Getting something is better than nothing, anybody with any experience in life would tell you that. Grow up.

Way to be ungrateful.
Call me on that all the way. In fact, I'd like to share with you my Christmas. I'll start with my Christmas the previous year.

I wanted a guitar but all I got was gift cards. Arby's, Best Buy, Walmart, Marathon, Barnes and Noble, Burger King, Citgo, Subway, Target, Visa. Ten dollars here, thirty dollars there, twenty-five, fifty, whatever.

Following Christmas, I went to Marathon and used up my card there to fuel my car. I then went to Best Buy and used my gift card there, putting it towards a payment for my computer. After that I went to Walmart, bought a MASH season DVD, but I had to also use my Visa gift card. Next was Barnes and Noble, bought another MASH season DVD, had to use some more of the Visa gift card. It was around lunch time so I figured I'd go to Subway, it wasn't much but I had enough left over to use it once more. I then went to Target, bought some razor blades, deodorant and shampoo, but I also had to use my Visa gift card there too. But guess what, the Visa card ran out, so then I also had to use some of my own cash.

After only a couple of hours, what does that leave me? Arby's, Burger King, Citgo, and a few bucks to Subway. And in return for the rest I got a half a tank of gas, two seasons of MASH on DVD and some personal care products that I was going to buy anyway. Ooooh, merry fucking Christmas.

After that I decided I never again wanted to get gift cards for Christmas. I didn't want to be an asshole so I just waited until everyone started calling around here asking what I wanted for Christmas this year. Around mid-September I started getting calls. I told everyone I didn't really have anything in mind, but I wasn't too picky. But I was also very upfront with everyone too, I said that I hated gift cards and if they were going to get me one, don't even bother because I don't want them.

Christmas day finally rolled around and, sure enough, I got gift cards. Nobody listened, no fucking surprise there. I got gift cards to Guitar Center (the only one I didn't mind since I used it to buy my new keyboard), Subway, Best Buy, and Citgo. I also just got cash from my Aunt Kim who actually listened, but still couldn't decide what to get for me. I also got a Western Michigan University t-shirt from my brother, but that was the only actual gift that I received. I go to a different school, but I've still worn it twice already. I really like it, even if he only bought it because he goes there. He says he picked it out because he thought I'd like that design the best.

Anyway, something about this Christmas was different. I still got gift cards, but I didn't get nearly as many as I did last year. In fact, I didn't get anything from two aunts, two uncles, or my five cousins. I got something for each and every one of them, but they really listened when I said that I didn't want any gift cards, and I don't care at all. They were happy with the gifts that I got them, even though they weren't much.

Whether or not you care, I got one aunt a candle and potpourri set, the other I got a bottle of wine and my brother got her a selection of cheeses to go with it. For one uncle I got an Elvis record, used, but in good condition. He had told me in August about how he had to sell his collection to help pay for a new roof, so he was thrilled to have one of his old albums back. For the other uncle I got a bottle of cologne that I knew he liked.

For my cousins, I got one a director's chair (going to school at Columbia in Chicago to study film), one in the Marines I got a few cans of silly string (loves that stuff), a Jack Daniel's shot glass, a few granola bars and a couple of old photographs, for another who just announced his wedding recently, I got him a sort of gag gift, Debbie Does Dallas and a box of condoms. For my two other cousins, I got one the last Harry Potter book and the other a new bicycle helmet since he loves to ride.

Anyway, after that I'm sure they felt bad that they didn't get me anything, but I still don't mind. I was glad to get them those gifts, and I'm not going to feel bitter because I didn't get anything from them. I'd still rather not get anything at all than to get a bullshit gift card just because you think you should get me something.

Yes, I'll use the gifts cards that I got. But am I happy about the gifts? Not at all, except for the t-shirt from my brother. Even if he can be a total asshole to me at times, the little things like that make up for it.

Old 5th January 2008, 03:56   #28
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Quote:
If they gave you a fifty dollar bill, would you bitch?
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 04:16   #29
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Not to their face, no, I wouldn't bitch. But I wouldn't be very happy about it either.

And anyway, Christmas is not about the money. Not to me, it isn't. Sorry.

Old 5th January 2008, 18:32   #30
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

On a lighter note, denken has an incredible memory.
Old 6th January 2008, 00:28   #31
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Indeed I do.

Old 7th January 2008, 01:32   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Gift cards often make you spend money you wouldn't have spent. You see, everyone wants to use the entire amount of the gift card, but no one can find a product (after tax) in an amount exactly that of the card. Often it's a card for a place you don't need to shop, and therefore you want to use the card and buy something worth more than the card. I guess you see that I don't like them. Show up, smile, and say 'Happy Holidays' and give a gift only if you put some thought into it. I also don't like it when people feel they need to buy gifts. They don't. I'd be just as happy without them if they're just something someone bought in a panic because it would be 'inappropriate to show up without a gift'. Every year someone gives me a holiday theme coffee mug. I have more holiday mugs than I do socks. Renee and I don't drink coffee or tea and everyone knows that. Renee always gets all these hand cremes and lotions. Everyone knows she doesn't use them. All we really want is to see people that are important to us when we have holiday time off work, and we have told people this time and time again. I guess the culture is against skipping the meaningless gifts. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful, but only because they cared enough to come and see me and because they thought to do something nice for me. They could have done this without the gift cards though.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 05:07   #33
Phyltre
Forum King

To flesh out my earlier statement, please look at things from the other side.

Some people, perhaps some of you that hate gift cards, are very hard to shop for. You have a room or house already full of belongings--not always top-of-the-line stuff, but stuff you researched before you bought; stuff that doesn't need replacing and won't for years. You also have a strong personal fashion sense, which makes buying clothes for you difficult. You're a "stuff" person who enjoys being a good consumer (even if you're on a very small budget, which "stuff" people frequently are.)

So rather than get something for you that is worse than nothing (because at the end of the day, you don't have free space and very well may end up regifting, cluttering up your house because you feel bad, or just throwing the gift away after a few weeks.

And these people cannot afford to buy you something worthwhile for you given what you have. So they buy you a gift card in the hopes that they next time you need to make a purchase, you can at least lower the price by the card amount.

Some of you are thinking that it's the thought that counts, and that gift cards require no thought. And of course it's possible that you might get a gift card that's useless to you. But if you think that tangible Christmas gifts require more thought than a card, you're sadly mistaken. I mean, unless you think ties, fruitcake, or gift packs full of cheese, sausage, and soap/lotion/loofahs are thoughtful. Most people aren't very good gift-givers! And even more know a whole laundry list of perfect gifts for you--but couldn't afford them.

So they got your ungrateful self a gift card, and felt bad because they couldn't get you something they thought you deserved. But thanks.
Old 8th January 2008, 05:31   #34
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Apology accepted.
Old 8th January 2008, 06:10   #35
Phyltre
Forum King

...I don't suppose you'd guess by reading that rant that I've never purchased a gift card as a gift for someone. Haven't, though. Not sure why that struck a chord with me.
Old 5th February 2008, 02:28   #36
xchronox0

About gifts, I don't care if I don't like the thing. For one, they put thought into the gift, and if not, I don't care. I can find something else to use it for. A gift card, yeah sure they didn't put thought into it, but the city I live in isn't that big to begin with, there is no gift card for a wrong store. I'll probably end up going to that store in my life anyways. Also, I could care less about a gift, I'd rather be spending time with them, having fun, than sit around looking at the stuff they gave me, bored as hell. When Christmas comes around, I'm not thinking "I'm gonna get stuff!", I'm thinking, "Christmas Eve party at my place! Lots o' food and stuff!" However, I like it to be just family and maybe 1 or 2 friends. This one sucked 'cause one of my mom's friends brought over like 10 people, and I think everyone was disappointed in that. It's rare that I get to see all my family, and it ends up getting spoiled with a bunch of drunks (possibly drug users) whom I don't even know. I hope this next Christmas Eve party goes well. I also like to see the smiles on another's face as they look at their gift, even if it's not from me. I like to see happy people. I like walking down the streets, and some random person talks to me about something positive. This is probably why I am also not prejudice against social or ethnic groups. All kinds of people talk to me about positive things. So, do I give a crap whether or not my gift was an object or some 'plastic money'? Not at all, I just want to hang out and spend good time with people. If not, I'll just go play Rakion, KUF:COD, C&C 3, or Halo 3.
xchronox0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 21:59   #37
White Raven
Little Winged One

Entirely. I now work in a Customer Service Callcentre, and we deal with the GiftCard department here amongst others...
It's kind of bloody ridiculous. Not only are they thoughtless, but they cause SO many problems...
Sometimes the system doesn't register them...
The numbers come off and then nothing can be done...
It's retarded.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 04:55   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
A blast from the past - and an in intriguing one at that. You were big long, long before me and I'm nearing two years. As usual, it just seems that they all come back, and that's a good thing.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 06:56   #39
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
A blast from the past - and an in intriguing one at that. You were big long, long before me and I'm nearing two years. As usual, it just seems that they all come back, and that's a good thing.
I've been big for ages.

I guess it's more the motion in the ocean though.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 19:46   #40
White Raven
Little Winged One

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
I've been big for ages.

I guess it's more the motion in the ocean though.
It's because I'm hotter

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist