Old 6th January 2008, 07:26   #1
JonkyB

Zune software blows...if only it were winamp

Anyone else using the Zune lately? I just got a Zune 80 GB for Christmas, and the player is all I could hope for, but the software is a piece of crap that edits my ID3 tags without asking me and fills in the fields with random stuff, like labeling a Tool song as Bob Dylan. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Microsoft had kept with PlaysForSure and then I could use my wonderful Winamp with my Zune?

Random venting, I guess.
Old 6th January 2008, 07:49   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
But the Zune doesn't play well with others. So tere is no SDK or open information for other programs to support the Zune. Return the Zune, get a Zen or something useful.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 11:33   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Wow, I have now seen two people who own a Zune... ..not far off the NGage record!

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 12:25   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Bizznatch also owns one.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 16:42   #5
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Yay! I've seen as many Zune owners as NGage owners!

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 19:39   #6
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Turn off "Automatically update Album Art and Media information" in the options.

You can find more help here: http://forums.zune.net/6/ShowForum.aspx

Microsoft already knows about the issues. But since they move at a glacial pace when making updates, it probably won't get updated until March.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 19:49   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Re: Zune software blows...if only it were winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by JonkyB
labeling a Tool song as Bob Dylan
BASTARDS!!!

I hope they die a long and painful death for that shit.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 19:51   #8
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Maybe the Zune Phone could be the next N-Gage? Put the phone part on the side and have the triumphant return of Side Talkin'!

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 21:49   #9
JonkyB

O yes, I've been up and down the Zune forums, and I have turned off that setting that was mentioned, but even still it will try and update a very large proportion of my music. On the advice of someone from the Zune forums, I've now set my whole music folder as read-only, and I'm just hoping that MS gets these issues fixed quickly.
Old 6th January 2008, 21:51   #10
JonkyB

Re: Re: Zune software blows...if only it were winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
BASTARDS!!!

EXACTLY!
Old 7th January 2008, 12:00   #11
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

While I can count the number of people I have seen state they own a Zune on one hand, I don't think any of them have said that the device is anything but very good, and I think it had a 100% record of "better than my previous ipods".

But yeah, it's units sold that makes money.

And you're STILL stuck with Zune software.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:00   #12
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
why do Mp3 players use crappy software, every cheapo mp3 player I have ever owned has just dealt with data in the same way as usb memory stick (or "pen drive"), seems like a perfect solution to me

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 18:13   #13
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
O yes, I've been up and down the Zune forums, and I have turned off that setting that was mentioned, but even still it will try and update a very large proportion of my music. On the advice of someone from the Zune forums, I've now set my whole music folder as read-only, and I'm just hoping that MS gets these issues fixed quickly.
Sounds like a bad install.

I use that software to sync all the time and once I turned off the automatic media updating, it doesn't even try.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:11   #14
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by cooky560
why do Mp3 players use crappy software, every cheapo mp3 player I have ever owned has just dealt with data in the same way as usb memory stick (or "pen drive"), seems like a perfect solution to me
This is microsoft we're talking about. The king of proprietary.
Old 8th January 2008, 03:25   #15
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I used to think Sony was king of proprietary, but you're right, nothing comes close to "M$". I know using that term 'M$' makes me lose a shitload of credibility but it's true, they're they winners at the proprietary game.

Cooky's right. General drag-n'-drop a la pen-drive, thumb-drive, jump-drive would be by far the best. Nothing better, nothing worse would be perfect. Everything else is total bullshit waste of learning and drive storage space.

Old 8th January 2008, 12:33   #16
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
So the answer is...get a £2.99 4gb Mp3 Player from e-bay with that solution
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 21:18   #17
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
While I can count the number of people I have seen state they own a Zune on one hand, I don't think any of them have said that the device is anything but very good, and I think it had a 100% record of "better than my previous ipods".

But yeah, it's units sold that makes money.

And you're STILL stuck with Zune software.
I've heard the same thing. We sell those at the place I work at and believe it or not, they sell out faster than the iPods.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 22:55   #18
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I got a 1gb one for Xmas. It even plays vorbis. ftw.
Old 8th January 2008, 22:57   #19
zootm
Forum King

My friend has a Zune and he loves it, yeah.
Quote:
I used to think Sony was king of proprietary, but you're right, nothing comes close to "M$". I know using that term 'M$' makes me lose a shitload of credibility but it's true, they're they winners at the proprietary game.
I disagree. Maybe in the past.

Also there's a reason that "M$" makes you lose credibility, and it's nothing to do with whether they deserve to have a dollar-sign in their name.

Quote:
Cooky's right. General drag-n'-drop a la pen-drive, thumb-drive, jump-drive would be by far the best. Nothing better, nothing worse would be perfect. Everything else is total bullshit waste of learning and drive storage space.
My player does this with the caveat that you need to rebuild the device's database after changing its contents (takes a few seconds, but it's a flash device). This, and automatic transcoding to supported formats, are the best reasons I know of for specific software for a player.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 23:18   #20
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
they're they winners
...and I'm they losers at proofreading.

Old 9th January 2008, 05:51   #21
JonkyB

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
I use that software to sync all the time and once I turned off the automatic media updating, it doesn't even try.
That's interesting. According to the Zune forums, many people have the problem I do, and others have it work perfectly, like you do. A few have gone so far as to say that the Zune software was basically released while still in beta.

I can only hope that MS gets going on the next software update as quickly as possible. (Possibly controversial comment coming up next) - I've been largely satisfied with MS customer support for my Xbox360, so I can't understand why some branches of the company seem to be incompetent, while others are quite good. For example, when my X360 died last summer, I called MS and they sent me a new console for free, and they did that for a huge number of people. They realized they made a mistake and acted quickly to make up for it at great cost to themselves. That's the kind of thing that rebuilds credibility, keeps current customers from losing their loyalty, and tells future customers that the company is actively trying to improve their products and service. They've announced they'll do a similar thing regarding recent Xbox Live problems.

Now why doesn't the Zune team act similarly? Is there something I don't know about software design as opposed to hardware design or online functionality? I'm pretty naive about such things, but it seems to me that by and large these are all so interconnected that to be really good at one thing generally means being at least competent at the others.
Old 9th January 2008, 22:05   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
to be really good at one thing generally means being at least competent at the others.
I'm glad this is common, but every once in a while there's an enormous difference from one product/service to another.

Look at Pioneer for example - their receivers are very good quality with great specs and long lasting durability. Then consider their speakers. They sound like they are using the primitive technology of speakers created decades ago - nowhere near flat response, only sound half decent at a certain volume - any louder or softer and you don't hear a well balanced sound, and the sound suffers even more with age. I guess it pays to research before purchasing.

Old 9th January 2008, 22:39   #23
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Re: Re: Zune software blows...if only it were winamp

Quote:

(In reference to TOOL being labeled Bob Dylan)

BASTARDS!!!

So which are you pissed about, the glaring differences of music genres or some kind of sick and twisted hatred of one the most influential musicians of the twentieth Century (i'm speaking, of course, of Bob Dylan and not Maynard)?

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 00:53   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

honestly, both

Old 17th January 2008, 22:22   #25
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Ah he he he he he he he he ------------------------->

---------------------------------------------------->
-----------------------------------------he he he he he

You jest surely?

best joke I've seen so far this year lmfao...

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 03:09   #26
Namelessv1
Forum King

Is that extra large font compensating for something?
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 07:11   #27
Namelessv1
Forum King

Heh, now my post doesn't make any sense, and I can't edit it.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 12:52   #28
webthing
Forum King

20 reasons why the Microsoft Zune is better than the Apple iPod

20. Wi-Fi
The Zune was the first to implement Wi-Fi in their portable media player. Wi-Fi allows Zune users to exchange music and photos with other Zune devices, as well as to download media from the Zune store when connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot. It is also possible to sync your media wirelessly to a PC via the supported 802.11a/g protocols.

19. File sharing
Sharing the love is what humans do. Capitalising on the popularity of peer-to-peer networks, the Zune can share music and photos with people within a 9 meter range via Wi-Fi. The downside is that the music is sent with a 3 day use limit enforced by dynamically attached DRM. Despite this, it allows peers to share their interest in music, not to mention it ultimately supports the music industry.

18. Bigger screens
Video playback is only enjoyable when the screen is large enough to see the image clearly, without straining your eyes. Fortunately, the Zune screen is large enough to fit the frame of the player, making it easier to view from a distance. The resolution of the screen is on par with the iPod, making its size a key selling point.

17. FM Radio
Most would consider FM radio as an essential (and expected) feature of any media device. Nonetheless, Apple omitted this basic feature while the Zune, despite being similar in size to the iPod range, managed to fit it in nicely.

16. Preloaded Games
There are times when one needs a distraction. Whether to procrastinate, entertain or to unleash those trigger-happy urges, the Zune provides the goods. Texas Hold ‘Em and Hextic are pre-installed, while tools such as the XNA toolkit allow developers to port games to the Zune as well.

15. Unlimited downloads
Zune’s Marketplace offers users a pay by month subscription which lets them download unlimited music. This is excellent for those who love their music, but don’t want to spend a fortune.

14. Social networking
The Zune software integrates Windows Live Messenger into a feature known as ‘Social’. It allows friends to share their music interests by via statistics (music listens) and the online music community.

13. Weight
The Zune weighs less than the iPod while having similar dimensions. Those that carry their media players around all day in their pocket, clearly crave the lightest player possible and in that, the Zune wins out.

12. XNA Toolkit for games
XNA is known by game developers for creating software on the XBOX platform. Microsoft have extended this to the Zune range, allowing eager developers to create and use custom games on the popular handheld.

11. WMV and WMA
Oddly enough, Apple’s iPod range have no support for Microsoft’s WMV and WMA audio formats. The Zune has implemented these file formats along with the popular MP3, MP4, AAC and JPEG formats.

10. Intuitive Interface
They say that simpler is better, and the Zune is no exception. The main menu uses large non-capitalised text options such as ‘music’ and ‘videos’ with a choice of background. The simplicity is implemented well enough to put the iPod to shame; navigation and readability are much easier on the Zune.

9. Line-in recording
Unlike the iPod range, it’s possible to record audio using line-in recording. Even though many people probably won’t use it all that often, it’s a great feature to have for the times you really need the functionality. Line-in allows ‘line level’ recording, such as streaming audio to the Zune and recording it.

8. PAL resolution for TV-out
Unlike the iPod, the Zune supports the PAL standard definition resolution of 576i/p (720x576). The iPod can only support 480i/p (640x480) which forces PAL television sets to scale the information, leaving it prone to image reproduction errors.

7. Xbox 360 integration
Music, images and video can be streamed to the Xbox 360 dashboard via the Zune when it is connected. Synching media in this way is great as it removes the need for niche devices such as Apple TV. Unfortunately for Apple, the iPod can only stream music to the Xbox 360.

6. Vista Windows Media Center Integration
When used with Windows Media Center, the Zune can sync recorded videos and convert them to the Zune native resolution. This is particularly useful when you want to quickly get media on your Zune for portable entertainment.

5. Buy from FM
So you’re listening to the radio on your portable media player, and you hear a song you really like. Often the name of the song is not announced, or you forget it before you get the chance to buy it. Microsoft has included a ‘buy from FM’ feature which allows the user to tag songs on FM radio, and buy them from the marketplace when a Wi-Fi connection is established.

4. Price
Based on the US pricing, the Zune looks to be cheaper than the iPod. Sure, price isn't everything but for some it can go a long way when making their decision on what media player to buy. When you consider the many differences in features and the fact that the Zune is cheaper, the price is certainly an eye opener that makes you wonder how the iPod justifies its price point.

3. Two-way syncing
One thing that people really hate about the iPod/iTunes combo is that you can put music in, but not take it back out. A high level of content control seems synonymous with Apple Corp and has given Microsoft a chance to offer something less restrictive. With the Zune, you have two-way synchronisation, making the players more user-friendly and therefore far more appealing.

2. No required extra software
Unlike iTunes, Zune software doesn’t force you to download extra software such as QuickTime. Users like to have choice, specifically the choice to install extra software, or not. There are QuickTime alternatives out there, after all.

1. Decent earphones
The iPod ear buds are notorious for their tinny sound and lack of bass. The Zune is bundled with respectable canal phones. The advantage is not only high fidelity sound but you don’t have to fork out extra cash to buy a decent pair of headphones like you do the second you take your iPod home.

So there you have it, 20 reasons why the Zune trumps the iPod. Apple might have a large market share, but being popular doesn’t always mean it’s the best choice.

"I've had a zune for 15 months now and I love it.
No way in hell I'd buy an ipod." - webthing

gadgetzone.com
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 15:51   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
I can't understand why some branches of the company seem to be incompetent, while others are quite good.
some projects are a lot bigger, xbox360 is quite honestly being bought by a lot more people than are buying Zunes, more customers buying a product which is having a serious issue, make more noise, more noise about a larger project needing work, gets more work done faster.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 06:24   #30
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Okeh, so I actually have a Zune 80. I was skeptical at first about having to use software to transfer music (instead of just copying it over like you would a hard drive), but the benefits of this system make it worth it. For one, the software helped me discover video Podcasts, and now I'm in love. I always assumed that you had to manually download them, but it's really more like setting a TiVo to record your favorite program. Every time I plug my Zune in it automatically adds the latest episodes, and removes the old ones.

Organizing my collection has never been easier with the Zune software. For example, if I have a group of music split into two nearly identical genres (say, hip hop and rap), I can just rename one of the genres to the other and it automatically retags all the songs with that genre to match. Also, it only fucks with your ID3 tags if you tell it to, so I dunno where the OP got that idea from.

The only problem I've had with it is with what I like to call "phantom songs". Sometimes I'll download a broken mp3 file, so when I go to replace it with a proper one, the old one still stays on my Zune. Even if I physically delete the song from my Zune (using a mod that lets me view them in Windows Explorer), then sync the new one, somehow the old one still stays. I have yet to solve that mystery...

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions