Old 7th September 2008, 16:59   #1
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
McCain trying to cover up Palin probe!

Key Alaska allies of John McCain are trying to derail a politically charged investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner in order to prevent a so-called "October surprise" that would produce embarrassing information about the vice presidential candidate on the eve of the election.

In a move endorsed by the McCain campaign Friday, John Coghill, the GOP chairman of the state House Rules Committee, wrote a letter seeking a meeting of Alaska's bipartisan Legislative Council in order to remove the Democratic state senator in charge of the so-called "troopergate" investigation.

Coghill charged that the senator, Hollis French, had "politicized" the probe by making a number of public comments in recent days, including telling ABC News that Palin had a "credibility problem" and that the investigation into the firing of public safety commissioner Walter Monegan was "likely to be damaging to the administration" and could be an "October surprise." Wrote Coghill: "The investigation appears to be lacking in fairness, neutrality and due process."

The investigation, authorized by the Legislative Council last July, revolves around charges that Palin abused her power by embroiling the governor's office in a bitter family feud involving her ex-brother in law, a state trooper named Mike Wooten. Specifically, the council is investigating whether Palin fired Monegan when he refused to dismiss Wooten (who at the time was involved in an ugly custody battle with Palin's sister) after getting repeated complaints about him from the governor and her husband, Todd Palin. (Among the allegations that were raised against Wooten by Palin's sister: he had Tasered his ten-year-old stepson and shot a moose without a permit.) Palin has denied wrongdoing; Monegan has said he believes his firing was connected to his refusal to fire Wooten.

French, the Democrat overseeing the probe, has hired a special counsel to determine, in effect, whether Palin "used her public office to settle a private score," he recently said. He has also suggested that the probe may turn up evidence that state laws were violated by Palin's aides because they pulled confidential personnel files on the trooper.

But Coghill, who told NEWSWEEK that he has the backing of Republican Speaker of the House John Harris in his effort to remove French, suggested Friday that the investigation into Palin's firing of Monegan should be shut down entirely. "If this has been botched up the way it has, there's a question as to whether it should continue," Coghill told NEWSWEEK.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/157439

"This week, seven key witnesses informed Mr. Branchflower through their attorneys that they would not provide depositions. Their depositions, which had been agreed to and scheduled earlier with Mr. Branchflower, were cancelled within the last 72 hours."

So isn't there anyone with investigatory power, or even just lawyerly or reportorial skills, who could inquire into exactly how all these witnesses to "troopergate" happened to obtain lawyers and then all follow the exact same tactic in the same 72 hours? Who are their lawyers; who is paying their lawyers? And many other questions that follow.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 17:28   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Maybe Americans (and others, including Canadians) should learn to win elections on real issues, and not this "fluff" surrounding and taking over the election process.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 00:21   #3
MegaRock
Forum King

What we need is a process that makes it alot easier to boot corrupt fuckers out of government! They do have recall elections but you realize how hard that would be to pull off on a Senator, Congressman or President?

Sad thing was in this case I was actually considering McCain until he chose Palin to run with. I'll agree that Obama has little experience but this woman has none and I believe they only chose her to sway some Clinton voters.

But in the end the President is a puppet - it just matters who's hand is up their ass controlling them.

Tune In Now!
Old 8th September 2008, 02:30   #4
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I don't understand this, but I keep hearing it from the Obama camp. They keep saying that this governor has no experience.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but they keep saying that this "Governor" has no experience. Governor, that tells me she does have executive experience.
It might not be much, but more than what a senator would have.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 02:39   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

If what I've read so far is true, she has a lot more experience than Obama. I haven't really kept up with all of it, though. I don't particularly care for politics in general.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 04:12   #6
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
If what I've read so far is true, she has a lot more experience than Obama.
I'd like to think so but no matter how much research I've done I come up with little to nothing. Just four years ago this is where she was:

http://incredimazing.com/page/Sarah_Palins_Experience

Yep, that's really the city hall of where she was Mayor just two years ago. In two years you go from that to vice president?

To really push it I started looking at Republican leaning and conservative leaning websites figuring they would have something. Even hitting those sites all I was able to find out was:

1. She's intimate with dealings in big oil - something which apparently everyone in the GOP can say.

2. She can bear insights into the need for more drilling - oil again.

3. Alaska is close to Russia moreso than the rest of the USA.

4. Elmendorf Air Force Base near Anchorage houses the F-22 Raptor. Of course this is under the control of the DOD, not Alaska or Palin.

Out of 3,600,000 possible searches I find nothing. If you've done something notable it's got to be somewhere. The GOP would have this information all over the friggin place by now and it's not.

And here's yet another kicker.

The following info comes from the Youtube site.

Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Sarah Palin laughs as cancer survivor Senator Lyda Green of the Alaska State Senate is called a "bitch" and a "cancer" on "The Bob and Mark Show", a radio show on KWHL in Alaska.
http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/story /295464.html

Even worse, she went back on the same show with John McCain after this whole fiasco when her VP nom was announced:
http://www.bobandmark.com/palin_mccain_i nterview

Here's my issue with her - everything I am hearing is bad. Nothing good at all so far and you would imagine if there was anything good we would be hearing it too, at least from the conservative sources.

Tune In Now!
Old 12th September 2008, 13:31   #7
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Corruption is an integral part of the US political system. Each and every member of Congress has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. So, it will never change by the hands of politicians.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 13:59   #8
MegaRock
Forum King

Just a footnote onto this thread but in the past few days and even after a big interview on ABC this is what I now know...

1. Palin is flip-flopping on a number of issues which I kinda expected since the McCain folks will tell her what to say.

2. Outside of the ABC interview she is still not answering questions directly to the press but instead has McCain staffers doing it.

3. It's been discovered over the past few days that a very large number of Bush people are now working with McCain and advising him on everything from speeches to how to attack Obama much like they did John Kerry on 04.

The investigation ongoing in Alaska over 'troopergate' is obviously very real. A Fellow Republican has revealed proof that Palin both knew and was warned about what could develop from this scandal - long before she was considered for a VP Candidate.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/...ion/index.html

Like the eariler post I've been looking for something good from her and I've yet to have found anything. All politicans mess up and do dirty things but somewhere along the lines they also do at least a few things good. With all the dirt being dug up on her why aren't there at least a few things good being revealed?

And remember, I am still a voter on the fence...and may not decide until the second I hit the vote button...and irregardless of all the smearing going on I wait for either group of candidates to do a few things:

1. Show me the good you've done as a politician
2. Show me how you will fix the economy
3. Show me how you will fix the image of the US to the rest of the world
4. Show me how you will deal with Afghanistan, Iraq and possibly Iran, Russia, Venesuela, North Korea, etc.

Biden has a record and you can do quite a bit of research on him. Same with McCain. Obama is a little harder to read on but he's making his thoughts well known. Palin has so far done nothing but let the McCain people keep her quiet which worries me.

Tune In Now!
Old 12th September 2008, 21:31   #9
MegaRock
Forum King

Well, instead of starting another thread I'll just add todays trash to this one

McCain's appearance on "The View," which is popular among women, came the day after ABC News aired Palin's first wide-ranging interview. She sought to clarify her views on global warming — in the past she has doubted the connection between human behavior and climate change — and hinted that the U.S. might need to go to war with Russia over its incursion into Georgia.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said Palin's suggestion of war with Russia "sent chills down my spine."

"I'm not sure that Gov. Palin understands that right now, if that were to occur, we would have to institute a massive draft," McCaskill said.

The McCain campaign defended Palin's much-criticized inquiry into banning books at her hometown library, saying her questions were only hypothetical.

Shortly after taking office in 1996 as mayor of Wasilla, a city of about 7,000 people, Palin asked the city's head librarian about banning books. Later, Palin told the librarian that she was being fired, although Palin backed off under pressure.

McCain stood by two of his campaign commercials — one which said Obama favored comprehensive sex education for kindergarten students and another that suggested Obama had called Palin a pig. Both are misleading and factually inaccurate.

McCain looked irked when Behar asked him whether he had jettisoned his independence as a candidate by appearing to be in "lock step" with President Bush's policies.

"What specific area have I, quote, 'changed?' Nobody can name it," McCain said.

McCain has changed positions on significant issues. For example, he once opposed Bush's tax cuts but now supports making them permanent. He had opposed lifting the ban on additional offshore oil exploration but now calls for drilling off the U.S. coast. He had been against mandatory caps on greenhouse gas emissions but now favors them.

Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Friday defended two debunked television ads attacking Democrat Barack Obama and claimed erroneously that running mate Sarah Palin never sought money for lawmakers' pet projects as Alaska governor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Palin sought $197 million in so-called "earmarks" for 2009. In the previous budget year, she asked for earmarks worth $256 million.

Enough said...

Tune In Now!
Old 14th September 2008, 18:49   #10
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

just heard this quote on BBC news...

"in two months the Americans will elect the most powerful person in the world, but for now they are discussing who put lipstick on a pig"

I love BBC :-)
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 20:22   #11
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Altairis
This is an interesting article and relevant, it seems:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us...ll&oref=slogin
Ouch, sounds just like Bush. Sad thing is all politicans plop some friends in cushy jobs but you don't appoint these people as the heads of organizations. I read the article and I saw this:

So when there was a vacancy at the top of the State Division of Agriculture, she appointed a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, to the $95,000-a-year directorship. A former real estate agent, Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as a qualification for running the roughly $2 million agency.

WTF ?!?

Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials.

Interviews show that Ms. Palin runs an administration that puts a premium on loyalty and secrecy. The governor and her top officials sometimes use personal e-mail accounts for state business; dozens of e-mail messages obtained by The New York Times show that her staff members studied whether that could allow them to circumvent subpoenas seeking public records.

Double WTF ?!?

And I was actually considering McCain until Palin was picked. With her back room secretive politics, vendettas, investigations and such and the comments on how we might have to go to war against Russia...no chance in hell. Personally I think she was picked solely to try to grab some Hillary supporters and nothing else.

Tune In Now!
Old 15th September 2008, 16:12   #12
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Palin probe!
I demand pictures.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 19th September 2008, 00:20   #13
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
If what I've read so far is true, she has a lot more experience than Obama. I haven't really kept up with all of it, though. I don't particularly care for politics in general.
Its not so much the experience I care about as pretty much nothing can prepare a person for the high administrative office. We've never really had someone with a perfect resume for the gig. No, it's the brain cell gap. Barack went to Columbia and graduated with a degree in Political sci. with a minor in international relations. then went to Harvard for a law degree and ran the Harvard law review. Not small time stuff. 6 year as a state senator for a region in a state with a larger population than Alaska is enough experience for me.

McCain got into the Naval Academy because of his father and grandfather, the admirals and almost flunked out, coming out 894th out to 899 students. He has had a long senate career, I'll give him that.

Palin spent 6 years in four cruddy schools to get a ba in media. Not journalism, mass media. That's a degree in standing in front of a camera and reading the sports reports. Then she read the news, joined the PTA and then became mayor of a 7,000 population hick town and her political career took off.

These are scary times and I want someone with a big brain, who will really think about issues, solution with a forward looking balance to his/her thinking. I don't want an old man with a bad temper who was never too sharp in the first place, or a hick town mayor officious martinet with no experience beyond the mayor's office in a 7,000 person hick town and less than 2 years as a gov trying to negotiate realpolitik on a world stage. I don't want those people's finger on the trigger.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 01:11   #14
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
I demand pictures.

If they were out there someone would have found em by now. CNN said 'Palin naked' was the #1 search term for a week and seemingly no one ever found any. I'm guessing she never takes off the pant suit.

Tune In Now!
Old 26th September 2008, 14:03   #15
MegaRock
Forum King

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Lawmakers investigating Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner accused the McCain-Palin campaign on Thursday of stonewalling the probe by helping witnesses refuse to comply with subpoenas.

Investigators want to know if Gov. Sarah Palin fired a state employee for improper reasons.

A state Senate committee subpoenaed Palin's husband, several top aides and other advisers earlier this month, but none of those served with demands for testimony appeared before the panel when it met last week.

The panel is scheduled to meet again Friday. A member of the committee said Thursday that he expects more no-shows.

In court filings, lawyers for Hollis French, the Democratic state senator overseeing the probe, and Stephen Branchflower, the attorney hired to conduct it, say Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign has moved "on many fronts" to kill the investigation since Palin became the Republican vice presidential nominee.

"Indeed, recent events demonstrate that witnesses or participants who want to stonewall Mr. Branchflower's fact-finding inquiry can count on plenty of assistance from lawyers and McCain campaign operatives," the filings state.

The filings came in response to lawsuits that Palin's allies filed last week seeking to stop the probe. The suits name as defendants the Alaska Legislative Council, the Republican-dominated committee that authorized the investigation in July, and its chairman, Democratic state Sen. Kim Elton.

The response calls the suits "clearly meritless" and "political, not legal" documents.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/...obe/index.html

Now when you stonewall your own political party I have to believe there is something to hide. Last thing we need is another politician that ignores the law. We already have one of those.

Tune In Now!
Old 4th October 2008, 09:10   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I demand pictures.
[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/palin_rifle_bikini.jpg[/img]

Sarah Palin won Bikini.com's Viewer Vote for Most Wanted Bikini Model.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 04:40   #17
sgtfuzzbubble011

Works for me.

And wb, RoH.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:54   #18
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

That photo was debunked as a photo shop effort the first time it appeared in the couple of days after the announcement of her being chosen for the ticket and appearance at the R. convention.

You likely knew that, but in case you didn't....

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 23:16   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, I knew, but CNN reported it as the real deal...lol

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09...rs-its-a-fake/
Old 7th October 2008, 02:40   #20
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Yeah, I knew, but CNN reported it as the real deal...lol

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09...rs-its-a-fake/
Good old reliable news sources. Dan Rather?

Tune In Now!
Old 7th October 2008, 03:02   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

Nope Lola Ogunnaike

http://www.google.com/search?q=Lola%...naike%2Bbikini
Old 7th October 2008, 20:42   #22
MegaRock
Forum King

News Flash: Bill Clinton got involved in the attempts to cover up the Palin probe. He quit fifteen minutes later when he found out he didn't get to cover up while probing her.

Tune In Now!
Old 8th October 2008, 17:45   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Here MegaRock...

Last edited by Widdykats; 18th March 2010 at 09:56.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 18:45   #24
MegaRock
Forum King

^^ Classic. Absolutely classic.

Tune In Now!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News