Old 29th August 2008, 14:15   #1
Greg_E
Major Dude

Comcast to throttle usage!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080829/...st_internet_dc

I've read similar reports that TimeWarner will be doing something similar to RoadRunner service too. What's the point of having a 15mbps connection if they are going to cut you off with a DSL rated monthly cap? The Comcast cap is pretty high, and I doubt I would ever use that much until more video media shows up, but the thought really bugs me.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 06:40   #2
mikm
Major Dude

The only part that really bugs me is that your account will face possible termination if you go over the limit. Charging customers for each GB they go over makes more sense.
Quote:
What's the point of having a 15mbps connection if they are going to cut you off with a DSL rated monthly cap?
Nearly all residential users need the speed in bursts and won't be using the 15mbps connection (assuming they even get that) 24/7. If you absolutely need to max out your connection 24/7, you probably should talk to your ISP about it. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to provide a solution, provided you can afford it.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 07:29   #3
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i've hated my comcast service from the second i got it, from the phone person when i placed my order lying about her having noted that a network between two seperate computers was advertised, one of the main selling points of this service contract and the installation tech (another lie calling him anything other than a slimebag) denying knowing about it and trying to milk us for an extra $100 to setup a network, that we were eventually able to setup ourselves although it never really worked well, to comcast's absolute disregard for the privacy of any of it's users in general, to the speculation and phone calls for a survey of whether capped transfer would be acceptable, to which we collectively replied, no and if it does and when it does as soon as it happens you can bet on our service being out of your hands, it's completely unacceptable and not even legal in most cases to cap current internet data transfer amounts, for people who signed up for a deal in an ad and agreement that cleary stated and advertised "unlimited usage", which i plan to take full advantage of nearly the entire month long, furthermore, if they're going to limit data transfer amount, then they shouldn't be able to do it retroactively to victims who signed up for the service under the false pretense that they would actually be getting unlimited usage, comcast technician's and employee's are second to none in ineptitude and disrespect they lie to you as a rule and always try to cheat you out of as much money as possible.

we had them come out (not because we noticed a problem, but because for whatever reason they did) regarding a wire that an animal had damaged in the house, we first received a letter stating clearly in large bold text that there was a problem with our line that needed to be fixed and it would be done free of charge, instead however, they've lied yet again, proving noone should ever consider trusting them for a second, we got billed $110 for the tech to come out and replace a piece of wire, which he left the old one fully intact still in the house and simply ran a replacement to the box, it literally took him less than 5 minutes and we were explicity told that it would not incur any charges to us, yet of course, it did, very large ones, which i might add were also withdrawn from the bank account we pay from an entire two days early.

comcast, go to hell, i'll be there laughing at you burning.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 09:10   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Here's a little secret that really isn't a secret. All those heavy downloaders who complain about ISP caps who claim they are going with another ISP. You can bitch on the internet and say you are going to switch to DSL, or something else. Your ISP wants you to. Your $30 a month doesn't mean much to them when you are costing them $50 a month.

Bandwidth cost ISPs money too. And they way they make their money is they over sell. The majority of the people will use barely any of their theoretical bandwidth at any given time. This is how they make their money. The people that max out their connection is costing them money not making them money. So if they lose them as a customer, it is better for them. More customers aren't always better. Believe it or not, there are some customers companies don't want.

Business and Enterprise class customers pay hundreds of dollars a month to guarantee their X Mbps is constant all the time, and you know what, they get priority over some residential customer paying $30. The constant bandwidth is there if you are willing to pay for it.

So, if you want to pay for a residential account and post on Digg, DSL Reports and The Consumerist about how you aren't getting constant 165Mbps 224/7 for paying $30 a month, go ahead. And when you switch ISPs. Your provider is perfectly happy with that.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 09:21   #5
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

the speed isn't the issue, despite being piss poor, it's the outright lies that are the last straw in my case.

Old 30th August 2008, 09:37   #6
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i hate lying companies aswell.

but 250gigs is still a lot. you can't get anywhere near those sort of price vs speed vs data allowance here.

i pay $85/m for 8M/384k dsl with 32Gb download allowance per month, 48Gb offpeak.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 09:46   #7
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

i think here it's supposedly 5mbps down and 1mbps up, although my upload never breaks more than 800 something, download usually doesn't either for the most part, but i'm going back to verizon, they lie just as much, but they've got decent service at least.

Old 30th August 2008, 14:00   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Am I getting ripped for paying $25/m for 1.5m/384k DSL?

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 14:57   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I have Verizon FiOS

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 15:23   #10
Greg_E
Major Dude

I can't get FIOS, but several people at work have the 20mbps connection and are happy. I doubt they ever push that much data along the line though. I can say that I don't tihnk I could afford the charges my Usenet provider would charge for 250GB per month.

Where this is really going to hurt people is the ondemand movie industry. Netflix has a current contract with Roku, and very soon the Xbox will be able to get Netflix movies too. SOny has all of their studios hooked into a PS3 player service that is said to start soon. And I'm sure Blockbuster will be working on something in the near future. These movies might add up pretty damn fast and you could find yourself capped and paying penalties or without internet until the next month.

Also people who may be hosting streams at home go through a lot of bandwidth.

And it does come down to advertising "unlimited use" and then changing the deal (read the fine print). And Comcast has at every chance taken the opportunity to screw their customers. So much so that I'm surprised that anyone still uses them. Search a Usenet archive and you will see constant reports of capping this, or blocking that, going back to 1998 or 1999. In short they suck.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 16:26   #11
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Where this is really going to hurt people is the ondemand movie industry.
You'd still have to watch a hell of a lot of movies before you came close to hitting your 250GB/mo limit. Let's say movie is 2 GB (a very conservative estimate). You could watch 4 movies a day and still have wiggle room.

I've never had Comcast, but I have read about some of the shitty things they have done. However, I'd be surprised if they actually offered unlimited use (including the details in the fine-print). Also, it isn't as if they are just springing this on their customers - if they think a 250GB cap is unreasonable, they have a month find a new provider.