Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 1st December 2010, 21:35   #1
M3wThr33

Send a message via ICQ to M3wThr33 Send a message via AIM to M3wThr33 Send a message via Yahoo to M3wThr33
5.6 still crashes when generating a playlist

As long as it has had it, the playlist generator has never worked for me. Somewhere in my library of music, it crashes on the 4th and final step, parsing the data.
I've done it on Windows 7 32/64 and XP 32.

I thought the redesign in 5.6 would have solved it, but alas, it still happened. Is there a debug version I can download to output the results as it tries to make the database?
(There's around 10-18k songs, so I can't really narrow it down in a simple fashion)

Edit:
Wrong forum. Any chance we can move this to bug reports? I wish I could write reproducible steps, but you'd need to figure out which mp3 is doing it, first.

If we outlawed pianos, only outlaws would be pianists.
M3wThr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:07   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, strange....

I guess it could be down to some corrupt file in your media library....

With Winamp closed, have you tried deleting: %AppData%\WInamp\Plugins\Gracenote cddbplm.gcf/idx/pdb & elists.db?
(cddb.db should be safe to keep)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:59   #3
stopasking
Banned

It's the same for me... before I upgraded I posted this thread: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324407 and was told to upgrade. I did a complete fresh install, removing all traces on winamp first. Installed 5.6 and made my settings. Installed ONLY one plugin, and that is the official last.fm plugin. Imported music, then scanned, whilst computer completely idle (my library takes forever to scan, so I just leave it)

And bang it crashed again. Exactly the same fashion as my first post, albeit with some details changed.

For a reminder of my report (becouse it is still valid) and some explanation of the changes (see the bold parts), I quote my post from there instead of bumping that thread:

- My library is ~38000 songs. I keep them "clean" and well-tagged. All files are mp3.

- Winamp has internet access

- It crashes only at the stage 4/4, at seemingly random location, and if "more info" is clicked it mentions nde.dll <----- on 5.6 it mentions instead "msvcr90.dll"

- I delete the 3 files it creates (cddbplm.pdb, cddbplm.idx, cddbplm.gcf) between each try, as instructed, (or it fails to initialize).

This happens:
It gets flawlessly to step 4/4 every time, then sometime in the scan comes the windows error that winamp crashed. After it first happened, I went over my library to make sure nothing had strange characters in filenames etc. Even ran that nifty little tool "mp3val" on my library. Scanned again. Crashed again.

Then I checked how far it came. it was 12000 something (don't remember now) and I looked in another tool, which can follow the path structures, what album song lied there. Turns out, it was the first song of an album. I removed this album from my library - scanned again. Crashed again. This time on 14000 something. I looked what song would be in this position and once again, it was the first song of an album. I figured the scan choked on theese albums, so for test I cleared my winamp, and put only theese two albums in, and scanned. Sad thing is that the scan actually passed when only thoose two albums were in. So it never were problems with files - it is a problem with Winamp.
[On 5.6 the scan went to ~28000 scanned tracks - I have not yet checked on what file it broke]

So now I come here. I really want to use this feature can someone shed some light on this? At a glance, it would seem like Winamp "gets tired" after lots of songs have been scanned at once, and then crash, but I don't know how viable accusation that is :P

Except for the parts in bold, the problem stays the same. Now what?

Last edited by stopasking; 2nd December 2010 at 14:36.
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:42   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopasking View Post
Installed ONLY one plugin, and that is the official last.fm plugin.
that isn't a valid clean install if that plug-in is present (though i wouldn't have expected it to affect things but you never know).

as for why it's crashing on the first item on a new album i've really no idea, am sure it'll be pointed out the relevant people to have a look at it though.

might also be an idea to provide some of the filepaths (or the structure of them) to get an idea of how your library + files are configured (may help, may not).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:32   #5
stopasking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that isn't a valid clean install if that plug-in is present (though i wouldn't have expected it to affect things but you never know).
I guess you're right... I will remember this in upcoming tests

Quote:
might also be an idea to provide some of the filepaths (or the structure of them) to get an idea of how your library + files are configured (may help, may not).
Right. It is a simple structure which I try keep free from strange symbols etc. It goes like this:

F:\Music\mp3s\<Genre>\<Artist>\<Year> - <Album>\<Track#> - <Songtitle>.mp3

And if there is unorthodox symbols in filenames/path, I edit them away and keep them only in the tag. I got extra picky with this after this winamp problem. The only "unorthodox" filenames I currently leave unchanged is japanese titles. In japanese characters and such. This can't be a problem, can it? I mean, Winamp indexes/plays stuff with japanese characters just fine. With the time it takes to scan with this thing, combined with the annoying job of editing filenames, I would not want to test such a thing.

[EDIT]
Just throwing ideas around. Can this be a memory issue? It would explain plenty of things. Like the fact that it seems to give in (both on 5.56 and 5.6) of some kind of exhaustion. It could also explain why people seem to get it only after a fair bit of scanning. And why some have no problems at all with bigger libraries (different memory/os perhaps).

I don't know how winamp is built, so I don't know if this is likely or not, but I can mention that my winamp 5.6 is on average at 40mb of memory or so, but I have seen it on more or less idle states at well over 100mb. And I also noticed during the problematic scan (I got a chance to look at it briefly - it was on stage 4, ~20000 files scanned) that the ram usage was well over 500mb at this point. Which is fine, i'm not complaining or anything, but it might be worth mentioning, in case this is not normal behaviour.

I have windows xp sp3 32-bit, 3gb memory

Last edited by stopasking; 2nd December 2010 at 15:48. Reason: addition
Old 5th December 2010, 15:30   #6
stopasking
Banned

couldnt some winamp dev respond about this? I would really hate having to start looking for alternatives to this great software
Old 5th December 2010, 15:33   #7
DrO

i'm sure this will be passed onto the dev responsible for the playlist generator stuff (if it hasn't been already) but it is the weekend and some sensible people have breaks from doing any development (need to remember that is a good idea for myself to do as well at some point).

-daz
Old 7th December 2010, 18:02   #8
M3wThr33

Send a message via ICQ to M3wThr33 Send a message via AIM to M3wThr33 Send a message via Yahoo to M3wThr33
My best solution so far is to make the playlist using Genius in iTunes and then drag it over to Winamp.

Old 7th December 2010, 21:10   #9
M3wThr33

Now it looks like the Playlist Generator doesn't even appear in 5.601. Did a fresh re-install.

Old 7th December 2010, 21:28   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@M3wThr33

With Wnamp closed, unzip ml_plg.dll (from the attachment) to the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins folder

Should fix the problem with plg not appearing under Win2k/XP

Note, this isn't a fix for any crash you might be experiencing.
We could probably do with a crash report from 5.59 beta first....

Old 7th December 2010, 22:12   #11
stopasking
Banned

Right, so I'm gonna reinstall Winamp again just to get it to save a simple freaking log?

As funny as that sounds, but no thanks. Looking back at some older threads around here this feature seems to have been broken for several years anyway so I wonder if such efforts would really go anywhere.

And there are plenty of other music players with this kind of functionality, that works perfectly. I recently tried Winamp for the first time in like 10 years or so, thinking that it would be something special, considering it used to be so cutting egde back in the days. But it wasn't really "all that" anyway, to say the least, even if one ignores this problem.

Seems like time really stood still here. Shame too - this thing was a big part of my childhood!

Anyway off to something else. This is a "bugmenot" account btw.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:11   #12
DrO

you don't have to re-install it, just extract a copy of winamp.exe and gen_crasher.dll from the beta installer (say using 7-zip) into your current folder (backing up winamp.exe as applicable) and then send / attach the crash report generated.

if no one on the team can reproduce the crash and most people have had a similar attitude then how can it be fixed? seeing as the plug-in is being worked on currently as the general improvements have shown then this is the best chance to have it fixed.

but if you're not bothered then so be it (will have to remember that in future). Egg and I are only trying to do what can be done to get the right information for the people working on this so it can be fixed once and for all.

-daz
Old 7th December 2010, 23:36   #13
M3wThr33

Yeah, I appreciate the attention and I know what it takes. (I'm a developer, too)
I'll see what I can get with the debug version.

Old 8th December 2010, 05:42   #14
stopasking
Banned

Quote:
(will have to remember that in future)
No please do not. As I said (and this is why I said it), this is a "bugmenot" account, meaning someone shared this account on bugmenot.com for users to be able to skip registration. As it happens, I have not posted any of theese 300+ posts this account has, so the person you may or may not know is not me so please hold no grudges

Also, I did not intend to be rude in my post or anything, but "Egg" couldn't even bother to answer my memory report (a music player using like 500mb of ram? that's rather strange in my mind) and instead answer with a seemingly generic reply, which, yes, seems bothersome for me becouse 1) I'm no longer intending to use Winamp. 2) This scan takes forever (12 hours+) and it's annoying letting it chew away on my disk like that. 3) I assumed Id even have to reinstall to lower version (thanks for correction). 4) One would imagine from all the threads around here about this problem, that someone would already have sent a crashlog about it right. Making it a useless effort, unless it's a local mp3 file being the culprit (which, by now, I seriously doubt).

But if you actually have no such logs (I didn't know), then obviously I shall try to provide one, seeing as it would be a good opportunity if anything for you guys to fix it.

For what it's worth, thanks daz for the instructions for how to put the beta version in I will try it as soon as i'm able.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:36   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@stopasking

DrO was answering your posts, I was replying to the OP (M3wThr33).
I read your posts, but didn't (intentionally) ignore you.

We just need some way to reproduce the problem, or at least have a proper crash report.

PLG hasn't ever crashed for me, so I can only assume that it's some filename/metadata issue or file corruption issue or similar.
Hopefully the crash log from 5.59 beta will reveal more....

Winamp\winamp.exe
Winamp\Plugins\reporter.exe
Winamp\Plugins\gen_crasher.dll

The scan could be quite cpu/memory intensive, especially on older systems, although it hardly uses anything on mine (i7 920 / 6GB DDR3).
Whatever the case, it'll be a fraction of what the old Predixis/MusicIP plugin used (90%+ cpu, full scan took days).

Hopefully we can work out any last few niggling issues.
Though it looks more likely to be a Gracenote SDK/Library or NDE (database) issue rather than a plg one....
we shall see.

Sidenote1:
Re: bugmenot
Ahh, that may explain why one of your registered IP#s is on the known/blocked spammers list....

Sidenote2:
The 5.601 installers have been silently updated with ml_plg load fix for Win2k/XP.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 16:50   #16
M3wThr33

Hrmm. Well, the plg parsed through my database fine on my work PC, this time. (5.59 beta and the provided ml_plg.dll) (Took an hour or two)

I just redownloaded the new installer and I'm trying again with the new stock ml_plg.dll.

Old 8th December 2010, 19:53   #17
M3wThr33

Got a crash FINALLY with the current build.
Quote:
17453 of 18017. Step 4.

Debugging in callstack.

> msvcr90.dll!7855afac()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for msvcr90.dll]
ml_plg.dll!07a838a8()
CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll!05b7ccf0()
CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll!05b7c05b()
CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll!05b7cf60()
ml_plg.dll!07a8650a()
ml_plg.dll!07a82e8c()
msvcr90.dll!78583c1b()
winamp.exe!00466b8c()
winamp.exe!00467079()
kernel32.dll!7c80b729()

Breakpoint at:
7855AFAC mov al,byte ptr [esi]
al = 0x4F 'O'
esi = 0x00b2734e

Output:
--snip--
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote\CDDBControlWinamp.dll'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote\CDDBUIWinamp.dll'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote\CddbPlaylist2Winamp.dll'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINXP\system32\winrnr.dll'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\libmp4v2.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote\CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\System\a52.w5s'
'winamp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Winamp\System\aacPlusDecoder.w5s', Binary was not built with debug information.
Unhandled exception at 0x7855afac in winamp.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00b2734e.
Additionally, I have uploaded my Gracenote DB folder. You can grab it at http://planetmew.com/dump.rar (It's 1.9MB)

Additional notes:
Quote:
ml_plg.dll break point:
07A838A8 mov eax,dword ptr [ebp-4]
eax = 0x00000000
ebp = 0x0634fd80

second ml_plg.dll break point:
07A8650A mov eax,dword ptr [esi]
both are null there

CddbMusicIdWinamp.dll #1:
05B7CCF0 cmp edi,ebx
both null.

CddbMusicIdWinamp.dll #2:
05B7C05B xor eax,eax
both null. (xor would do that.)

CddbMusicIdWinamp.dll #3:
05B7CF60 pop edi
edi is null

third ml_plg.dll in the stack:
07A82E8C mov dword ptr [esi+1Ch],5
esi is null.

winamp.exe #1
00466B8C pop ecx
ecx is null
winamp.exe #2
00467079 jmp 004670C7
Those correspond to the order they're in in the callstack I pasted.

Old 18th December 2010, 06:48   #18
stopasking
Banned

uhm...sooo... how is it going with this?

I haven't got around with the crashlog yet, but seeing the report from M3wThr33, maybe it doesn't matter?

Is it pinpointed? Fixed in some upcoming version? Anything?
Old 18th December 2010, 21:49   #19
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

thanks for bumping. I'll look into it right now.

yes the memory usage with the playlist generator is extremely high. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it as it's a limitation of the third-party SDK that's doing most of the back-end logic. Nonetheless I'll take a look at what might do to limit it. (possibly processing files in smaller batches)
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:18   #20
stopasking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benski View Post
thanks for bumping. I'll look into it right now.

yes the memory usage with the playlist generator is extremely high. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it as it's a limitation of the third-party SDK that's doing most of the back-end logic. Nonetheless I'll take a look at what might do to limit it. (possibly processing files in smaller batches)
So you are saying it is a memory issue after all? Is that why it crashes?

or have you found out anything new?
Old 24th December 2010, 18:35   #21
thedrifter

i'd like to just add that i, too, have experienced the playlist generator crashing for some time now (a year or two). i run winamp (always the most current, non-beta version) on Win7, WinVista Ultimate x64 and WinXP Professional. stopasking's description matches mine exactly on all OSes.

so, i anxiously await any developments on this issue! cheers.
thedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 18:22   #22
Comrade Sniper

Similar problem here, tried the generator for the first time today and can not get it to scan my collection. It gets right to the end of stage 4 and then Winamp crashes.
Comrade Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:22   #23
stopasking
Banned

i'm sorry for nagging but... what is the status of this? has the problem at least been found?
Old 16th February 2011, 12:18   #24
graphicequalis

I wrote a simple media player called MJ Player. It can handle any size playlist (millions of tracks) without memory bloat. The playlist is a simple list of filenames in plain text, one per line. It remembers where you were in the playlist, down to the nearest millisecond through the track when you last stopped/closed the program. It does not install and it is totally free. It has a built-in DJ function too. I use it every single day and it rocks! More info at jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm#mjplyr

It is not perfect, but for a 562K download, it ain't half bad. Plus, it handles large playlists and randomisation really lucidly compared to anything else available. Try it (it is apparently distro'ed with Black XP as a media player, I found out a few years after I launched it!) and let me know on mark at jacobsm.com if you like it or not. I actively maintain it, even though it is a hobby project.
graphicequalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 09:03   #25
Meotwister

I had this exact problem as described by both users above using a clean install of Winamp 5.61 on a Windows x64 computer.

I managed to fix it by:

Going into Options > Preferences
Click "Media Library" under the Plug-Ins tab
Click "Nullsoft Playlist Generator v1.7" and then "Configure selected plug-in"
Click "Scan"

For some reason doing it like this it setup really quickly (got passed that 4th stage) and then generating playlists worked flawlessly.

So it works but still needs to be fixed when configuring the plug-in automatically.
Meotwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 04:18   #26
M3wThr33

Well, Winamp has seen a few versions come and go, and I gave it a shot last week. Works great! Glad to have it running for the first time!
(I didn't try the above steps, simply just re-started the initialization by trying to play similar tracks)

Old 28th February 2012, 19:17   #27
Slurpy1

Still around in 5.623

I to am getting this problem on 5.623. I am running a Windows 7 64 client which is part of a domain. Errors in the system log are:

Faulting application name: winamp.exe, version: 5.6.2.3199, time stamp: 0x4ee2440b
Faulting module name: ml_plg.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ee24421
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007252
Faulting process id: 0xc04
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccf60e7b348db6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_plg.dll
Report Id: 4fc2646d-6246-11e1-8876-0002720fdb05

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-28T19:56:33.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>45566</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>PALADIN-XXXXXXXXXXX</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>winamp.exe</Data>
<Data>5.6.2.3199</Data>
<Data>4ee2440b</Data>
<Data>ml_plg.dll</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>4ee24421</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00007252</Data>
<Data>c04</Data>
<Data>01ccf60e7b348db6</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_plg.dll</Data>
<Data>4fc2646d-6246-11e1-8876-0002720fdb05</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Now I have checked the profile permissions and deleted the files mentioned above. I have noticed that they do not recreate as the crash occurs prior to that.

Due to the Group policy settings in the domain I first thought that WINAMP may not have permissions to spawn the task for the database update. That doesn't appear to be the case.

I have 53 Gb of music located on my NAS with a drive mapping to the music partition.

Any suggestions on what to check next?
Slurpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 23:27   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Slurpy1,

You can try my suggestions posted in the linked thread.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=293559

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:21   #29
Slurpy1

Hi Aminifu,
Ok I have followed the steps on the linked thread.

I deleted the files mentioned in your thread:

%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\elists.db
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.pdb
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.idx
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.chk
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.gcf
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenotecddbplm.pdb
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenotecddbplm.idx

I then started Winamp and then the scan. Status went to Step 1/4: Initializing that then it gave me the error window Playlist Generator failed to initialise.

I clicked OK, then clicked Reset Database, clicked Yes which then resulted in the Winamp has stopped working OS pop up window with the options to Check online for a solution and close the program or Close the program.

Winamp had regenerated the cddbplm.chk, cddbplm.idx, cddbplm.pdb and elists files before the crash. Memory usage never got above 68%.

Hope that helps.

Slurpy1
Slurpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:29   #30
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Slurpy1,

It is not my thread, I only added to it. I don't think you needed to delete the last 2 files you listed. You may need to reinstall Winamp to get them back. Anyway for your case, I suggest you monitor the memory Winamp is using and stop the scan whenever it exceeds 1 GB.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 1st April 2012, 06:20   #31
kabayan

Hey anyone ever fixed this one? been trying to finished scan 4/4 for the last two days and no luck it always crash at 4/4 sometimes midway sometimes 10 percent. I tried deleting those database in gracenote folder files also tried to delete the whole grace notes files still the same. also tried to reset all default setting in winamp by removing all winamp appdata then start adding only 200+ tracks to ML it was able to finish the scanning job, however when i again add the whole ML bout 20k+ tracks it again crash at stage 4. though i can generate some playlist of the 20k+ tracks by stopping the scan at stage 4 (analyzing file data). Would be great if it can finished stage 4 as it can gave more data to the tracks and would generate playlist faster without going to nullsoft playlist gen and click stop. I remember in WA5 all was well and fine with win 7(32). that library has more tracks also as I remove lot of tracks. Now am using win 7(64) and WA6 the latest. Hope some1 has a fix to this. I would not say its because of the OS since it can finish scanning with 200+ tracks. Sorry for my bad english.
kabayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:28   #32
ky.m.guy

First post here...I apologise in advance if I'm long-winded.

I had this problem too for the past few weeks. Just dumped iTunes for good last week (for Winamp 5.63) and the only thing I missed was Genius. I've been cleaning up my library with both Mp3Tag (third-party software) and the Media Library Organizer (ml_org.dll plugin) as iTunes left it a mess (thought it was supposed to keep it organised).

After hours of messing around, I eventually got around the problem. This is in no way a fix...there's obviously something wrong and I still have no idea what, but I thought I'd share what I did to get rid of the problem for my use, in order to maybe help out someone else (or give the Winamp developers something to work with).

The Problem: As with the previous posters, appears during step 4/4 of the Playlist Generator. The first three steps complete no problem, but the fourth step crashed Winamp every time, but part way through the scanning. Windows showed the "Winamp has stopped working message".

What I tried (that didn't work): First, I thought maybe Diacritic characters were the issue. I have a lot of classical music which had a lot of diacritics. I used Mp3Tag to replace all these with their ASCII equivalents. No luck. Still crashed.
Then I thought it may be getting stuck on the ~100 or so .m4a files I had (my library is otherwise 320kbps MP3). I converted these to MP3. Still no luck.
Then I got rid of any files over 20 minutes long, thinking it was maybe having trouble reading the larger files. Still the same crash.
I checked memory usage....I have 16GB RAM on my system and Winamp was using less than 200MB so that couldn't be it.
I moved all of my music to another hard disk, thinking it was maybe a disk error...nothing.

What I finally did that worked: I then noticed that it seemed to be getting stuck at roughly the same place each time, about 4000 songs in to my library. Maybe it was a certain file that it doesn't like. I divided the music library into 10 subfolders and imported them one at a time, and ran the PLG on each to see which one contained the bad file.
(I cleared the AppData\...\Gracenote folder between each trial).

I found that the fifth subfolder was erroring out, so I then divided that subfolder up further. and repeated the process until I was left with the bad file. It ended up that there were two bad files

I tested each file individually (by the same process) and Winamp crashed each time. Ten hours after I started, I had my two bad files! Hallelujah! (ironically, one of them is Handel's Hallelujah chorus....thought that was funny).

I pulled these out of my library, reimported all songs, and ran the PLG and it ran without a hitch in just under an hour (on roughly 10k songs).

I have attached a .zip file with the two bad files. I looked through their Metadata, ran mp3val on them, and tried renaming them, and they still errored out. I couldn't find any similarities between the two files. They play in all media players that I have on my system. The attached files are unaltered from when I pulled them from my library.

If anybody has any ideas, my curiosity is piqued, but I'm happy for now as I got it working.

Sorry if this is long-winded...I wanted to be as detailed as possible so hopefully this will help someone out!

[EDIT: Zip file is here as it it too large to attach (18.1MB):]
kylemills.net/Other/BAD_MP3s.zip

Kyle
ky.m.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:55   #33
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Kyle,

I use an app called "MP3 Diags" to analyze and 'repair' my mp3s. MP3Val is a good app, but MP3 Diags is more extensive. I ran your files through and only the Hallelujah mp3 was flagged with an 'error'. The embedded album cover art is not tagged as cover art, but it is displayed anyway.

I ran 'repairs' on both files anyway. MP3 Diags can make various repairs and is supposed to only 'fix' things that need fixing and skip the repairs that are not needed. I ran the group 4 repairs (13 possible repairs) on both files and the cover art repair from the non-numbered group (allows selecting 1 repair at a time) on Hallelujah.

It fixed the cover art tag error in Hallelujah and removed what it considered invalid ID3V2.3 data in both files. These header 'errors' will not prevent the files from playing, but maybe the 'invalid ID3V2.3 data' is what causes your scanning problem. Sufficiently 'bad' headers are known to cause Winamp problems when trying to read metadata.

You can download MP3 Diags from the 2nd link below and try it on your files to see if it makes a difference. The 1st link is to a description of MP3 Diags. The dev provides a stable and an unstable version. I have used both with 0 problems on over 6,000 files. But no app is perfect, so if you try either one, run it on copies of your files.

MP3 Diags can seem overwhelming at first (it has a lot of features in addition to header repairs), but it is very easy to use. The cog wheel control on the far left side of the menu bar lets you select the folder with the files you want analyzed and start the scan. The hammer controls on the right side of the menu bar let you select the repairs you want attempted. You can apply the repairs to all the analyzed files or select a file and hold the shift key to only apply the repairs to the selected file. MP3 Diags will sometimes indicate 'errors' in files that it is not able to fix.

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3diags/files/

Last edited by Aminifu; 2nd January 2013 at 07:09.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:56   #34
ky.m.guy

Thanks Aminifu! I will run that on it and then run the PLG again and see if it runs. I just wanted to make the developers aware of what was causing my error so maybe they could exclude bad files like these from the scan (or at least warn the user that there will probably be issues before starting the hour or longer scan).

Thanks again!
ky.m.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:18   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
so was the problem ultimately an improperly embedded artwork file?

here's the method i would use:

run everything thru mp3val (check for encoding header errors)
*if necessary, run any vbrs mp3val can't fix thru moonbeams vbrfix
run everything thru mp3tag (check for bad tags)
then use mp3diags if none of the above worked.

also note that diacritics, extra spaces, and filename+filepath lengths in excess of 255 chars are sometimes known to cause issues.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:35   #36
MrSinatra
Forum King

ugh, its moonbase's vbrfix, now BP has me doing it!

--
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:36   #37
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
here's the method i would use:

run everything thru mp3val (check for encoding header errors)
*if necessary, run any vbrs mp3val can't fix thru moonbeams vbrfix
run everything thru mp3tag (check for bad tags)
then use mp3diags if none of the above worked.
MP3Diags is able to do everything MP3Val, VBRFix, and MP3Tag can do and more.

I agree it makes sense to use a specific app for a specific problem. But when the problem is unknown, its a waste of time to run a file through 4 apps when 1 will do.

Kyle said he used MP3Tag to remove any diacritics and ran the 2 files in question through MP3Val. At this point, it is unknown why these files broke the scan and it is also unknown if MP3Diags is able to 'fix' them.

MP3Diags did not flag any errors in one of the files. When nothing obvious is found in 'problem' files, it is probably better to just replace them with new ones.

Old 3rd January 2013, 13:10   #38
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky.m.guy View Post
I just wanted to make the developers aware of what was causing my error so maybe they could exclude bad files like these from the scan (or at least warn the user that there will probably be issues before starting the hour or longer scan).
Winamp supports playing many different formats. It is probably to much to expect it (a free program) to include scanning for structural format errors in the base program. Especially since there would be cases, like yours, were a scan would reveal nothing and some files would still cause a problem.

It does sound like a good idea for a plug-in. One that would combine the various format integrity checkers in one app and flag files with potential problems. Then people could try to fix specific problems with the best applicable tool or just replace the files.

It is better to make your own files or only download from known good sources, imo.

On the other hand, if your files turn out to be within 'spec' you may have indeed found a bug in Winamp. Although some format specs are fairly loose and it would not be realistic to expect Winamp to handle all possible variations.

Old 3rd January 2013, 18:29   #39
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
MP3Diags is able to do everything MP3Val, VBRFix, and MP3Tag can do and more.

I agree it makes sense to use a specific app for a specific problem. But when the problem is unknown, its a waste of time to run a file through 4 apps when 1 will do.
the reason i would use the method above is b/c it works 99%+ of the time without me having to go thru all the steps, and it also helps to isolate where any problem was and what it was. i like to know. i also like to see what problems they can't fix, but another tool can, so i know the limitations. also, they are much more automatic, i don't have to do more than a click or two, but they are also restrained, they don't try to do "too much" or unnecessary things afaict.

out of 65k+ files, i have found only 3 that the first 3 tools couldn't fix, (outside of completely broken or incomplete files), and they were real oddballs that had differing mpeg layers in them. mp3diags probably couldn't fix them either without re-encoding, which is probably what i would have to do short of finding other sources.

i should prob try mp3diags again, but my recollection was it was more manual, and more aggressive, and harder to use, then i cared for. i also have a vague memory that it was "wrong" about what it said about certain files, facts i knew to be different, but its been a good while since i used it last, so i don't recall exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Kyle said he used MP3Tag to remove any diacritics and ran the 2 files in question through MP3Val. At this point, it is unknown why these files broke the scan and it is also unknown if MP3Diags is able to 'fix' them.

MP3Diags did not flag any errors in one of the files. When nothing obvious is found in 'problem' files, it is probably better to just replace them with new ones.
i really haven't followed what was or wasn't done or by whom, i just saw that one file had a broken art embed, and i was curious if fixing that then allowed the file to work?

--
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:46   #40
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i really haven't followed what was or wasn't done or by whom, i just saw that one file had a broken art embed, and i was curious if fixing that then allowed the file to work?
Both files contain embedded art. The art is not broken. Winamp is able to display the art and play both of the original files on my system. I did not try scanning the original or 'repaired' files on my system. It would not prove much, imo. Kyle most likely has a different configuration and things need to work on his system.

MP3Diags simply indicated that the art in one of the files was not 'called' cover art. The MP3 spec allows multiple images to be embedded and each one given a different designation to allow for easy selection among them. I assume when Winamp finds only 1 image in a file, it uses it as the cover.

I don't know how Winamp would handle multiple images in one file (separately named or not). Never tried to find out. I've always only used 1 image per file. Although I did use a plug-in, years ago, that was supposed to be able to display the multiple images in a file (either a selected one or cycle through them all). Might be interesting to make a few test files and find out what Winamp would do now. But I usually don't go looking for trouble.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports