Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 3rd January 2013, 23:57   #41
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Both files contain embedded art. The art is not broken. Winamp is able to display the art and play both of the original files on my system.
i'm not sure that necessarily means its not broken. and when you said this:

Quote:
The embedded album cover art is not tagged as cover art, but it is displayed anyway.

<snip>

It fixed the cover art tag error in Hallelujah and removed what it considered invalid ID3V2.3 data in both files.
that seemed to indicate some sort of art problem, whatever it may be.

and so regardless, i'm just wondering from the OP now, if fixing the art issue allowed the file to be scanned?

Quote:
I did not try scanning the original or 'repaired' files on my system. It would not prove much, imo. Kyle most likely has a different configuration and things need to work on his system.

MP3Diags simply indicated that the art in one of the files was not 'called' cover art. The MP3 spec allows multiple images to be embedded and each one given a different designation to allow for easy selection among them. I assume when Winamp finds only 1 image in a file, it uses it as the cover.

I don't know how Winamp would handle multiple images in one file (separately named or not). Never tried to find out. I've always only used 1 image per file. Although I did use a plug-in, years ago, that was supposed to be able to display the multiple images in a file (either a selected one or cycle through them all). Might be interesting to make a few test files and find out what Winamp would do now. But I usually don't go looking for trouble.
actually, i think in alt+3 winamp will show you multiple art images, if embedded, b/c i had such a file at one time, (and posted about it, and how it would semi-randomly pick one for display in the ML) but i don't know how to reproduce, or if i still have that file intact.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 00:15   #42
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
and so regardless, i'm just wondering from the OP now, if fixing the art issue allowed the file to be scanned?
Yes, I would like to know Kyle's results also. It would also be helpful to know if he tried 1 'fix' at a time or all of them together.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 20:43   #43
M3wThr33

Send a message via ICQ to M3wThr33 Send a message via AIM to M3wThr33 Send a message via Yahoo to M3wThr33
Ah, the fun conundrum of getting frustrated and trying a myriad of solutions, only to never know what truly fixed it.

But I'm glad someone is taking this crash further.
I wouldn't be surprised if embedded album art was the issue. The original photo iPods (not sure about current) ONLY showed album art if it was embedded. No links. No folder.jpgs. So I make sure my entire library is embedded jpgs. And I often use a MediaMonkey script to help with that. Maybe it doesn't tag them correctly and leaves the art type blank.

If we outlawed pianos, only outlaws would be pianists.
M3wThr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 15:55   #44
LightningMan711

How I solved the problem, in case others have the same problems I did.

I first ran the mp3val on all my files, as suggested.

I then used an mp3 tagging program (Tag&Rename) to tag every mp3 that didn't have a tag but was taggable.

I then took every file out of my music folder into another folder called feeder, in order to add them back in chunks of 500 in alphabetical order.

I kept the %appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\ folder open during this. Every time I had a successful session, I copied those files into the backup folder. Every time I had a failed session, I restored the files from the backup folder so that I didn't have to start completely from scratch again.

I would add the 500, rescan the library in local library, then I would run the playlist generator. If it errored, I would take half the files back and try again. If the front half went through, I'd add half of the back half. Continuing on with this method, I'd eventually narrow down the offending files.

One very important thing that I noticed: it did not like any files other than mp3 or m3u files in the folder. Not every text file, jpg file, or zip file in the folder gave it trouble, but all but two of the problem sessions came when there was a text, jpg, or zip file in the set. So about a third of the way through, I just cleared every single file that wasn't either of those two things out. After I did that, I only had two stops in my 3K songs.

I'm sure that files it shouldn't even be reading shouldn't derail it, but it seems to.

I hope that helps.
LightningMan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 16:57   #45
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi LightningMan711,

So far, I've only used tagged mp3s (with embedded art) with that feature and never have had a problem. You may be on to something. But it would be a big disappointment if it doesn't work with loss-less formats. It would be a hassle to have to separate collections by format (and remove folder art) just to have this feature work.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 20:53   #46
DrO

the process doesn't touch those types of files unless you've configured Winamp to treat them as playable formats.

either way, the issue is in the libraries we're using and not the direct Winamp code. there is a solution but it requires a complete rewrite so is not viable at the moment (and due to the nature of the crash we're not able to catch it if only to exit Winamp gracefully). so it is known about, it is internally logged and that's where things stand.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 21:10   #47
LightningMan711

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the process doesn't touch those types of files unless you've configured Winamp to treat them as playable formats.
I haven't configured it to do anything. I'm just telling you what was true for me.

Quote:
either way, the issue is in the libraries we're using and not the direct Winamp code. there is a solution but it requires a complete rewrite so is not viable at the moment (and due to the nature of the crash we're not able to catch it if only to exit Winamp gracefully). so it is known about, it is internally logged and that's where things stand.
I'm glad you've isolated the problem.
Old 4th August 2013, 21:30   #48
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMan711 View Post
I haven't configured it to do anything. I'm just telling you what was true for me.
and i was just clarifying what goes on and that the presence of such files is a red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMan711 View Post
I'm glad you've isolated the problem.
just a shame we'd not determined the cause 6months earlier otherwise we could have had a simple fix for it without the route we've got to go down now which means it's going to be an indefinite amount of time before it gets fixed (which isn't ideal but that's how it goes) *shrugs*
Old 4th August 2013, 21:36   #49
LightningMan711

Quote:
and i was just clarifying what goes on and that the presence of such files is a red herring.
You are also by doing so in effect calling me a liar. Look, I myself said it shouldn't matter. But I am also telling you it did.
Old 4th August 2013, 21:54   #50
DrO

i am not calling you a liar, i was trying to clarify things against what is present in the source code but you know what, i clearly didn't phrase things correctly so once again i've fucked up so i'm sorry and i'll just avoid trying to do what no one else on the dev team bothers / wants to do and actually respond to issues raised by people like yourself as clearly it causes more harm than good.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports