Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 17th December 2010, 21:47   #1
fjaka

winamp 5.601. and Audioscrobbler Plug-in

FYI
winamp 5.601 and Winamp Audioscrobbler Plug-in (Standalone Version)
http://nunzioweb.com/daz/AudioScrobbler/
crash winamp, i put back 5.581 and work ok
fjaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 22:53   #2
HeatSurge

Whew, I finally registered for the winamp forums after all these years of occasional stalking lulz... and it's unfortunate that it's for bringing (probable) bad news.

I am also using Dr. O's gen_audioscrobbler.dll plugin from the webpage above (the "internal test build"). It's been working fine until I tried to go into preferences two weeks ago and it crashed.

Funny thing is, it loads up and uses the settings in registry (that I configured when it still worked) to continue to scrobble just fine... so not all is lost (yet). However, with no configuration, an OS uninstall/reinstall will mean no scrobbling for me. I've exported the registry branch, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough.

From what I've seen from messages in these threads:
http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/335191/16
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323296
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=294368&page=2

It seems like Dr. O. doesn't really care to update the plugin anymore. From his website:
"Note: Due to my changing use of media i'm no longer using the last.fm / AudioScrobbler service so will unlikely update this further."

I don't know what "media" he could possibly use, as for PC for me there is nothing that is more solid, lightweight, configurable, and extendable as winamp. Maybe he doesn't listen to music on PC? Seems hard to beieve...

Anyway, he mentions something about lost source code too, although he's hinted he might be working on an updated version of the plugin, but he's not sure he'll finish it.

Anyway, unfortunately I myself might have seen the end of my scrobbling days if he doesn't return with a working version, as I will not use last.fm's overbloated integrated-player plugin which seems to be the only alternative.

Maybe someone can shoot him off a PM? He seems to visit the forums. I'm sure he's aware of the problem (let alone that the plugin is now 3 years old and doesn't support unicode, etc.) too, it's just about whether he cares at this point. I don't think we can make any demands anyway, as it's a free plugin...
HeatSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 16:11   #3
DrO

i am aware there are issues with the plug-in not working since at least the 5.59 betas, just i don't use the plug-in anymore, the version of code i think i've still got was an interim version which was an in-process conversion to remove the code dependencies which is leading to the crashes being experienced.

also it's not that hard to get a message to me either via an email or a pm as per http://nunzioweb.com/daz/index.html#Contact but no one has (and it's only from a post during the 5.59 beta that i even know there is an issue with the AS plug-in).

will i get it resolved, i really cannot answer that at the moment as i have to currently have to put work commitments first but it is on my todo list to look into it (along with a load of other things but this is all dependent upon finding the newer source code i had).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 11:52   #4
HeatSurge

Any updates on this please?
Old 21st January 2011, 12:38   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
will i get it resolved, i really cannot answer that at the moment as i have to currently have to put work commitments first but it is on my todo list to look into it (along with a load of other things but this is all dependent upon finding the newer source code i had).
i'd suggest using some other means or the official version as my plans to work on the plug-in never happened (never got as far as finding the source code for it over the xmas break) and tbh, it's hard to find the interest to work on something i don't personally use with the limited free time i have at the moment (i can't even get around to updating my plug-in shipped with Winamp to put it into context).

-daz
Old 26th January 2011, 18:10   #6
HeatSurge

Thanks for the update at least.

Meanwhile, this bothers me so much that I'm almost about to start looking into writing my own plugin D: ...

Problem is, I only know Java (and very little C), and researching everything and getting all the SDKs to actually do something will take me quite some time...
Old 14th February 2011, 14:45   #7
HeatSurge

Update: Well, I actually looked at some real SDK and plugin sources today and... I have a new appreciation for the people who understand all that ridiculous sh**storm of classes, functions, pointers, and GUI crap.

I thought it would be relatively easy to code the simple plugin that I want, but... no, it's not.

Unfortunately, the Winamp SDK is not very well-documented (for beginners), and without at least some experience in C and Windows programming, I'd assume you're looking at perhaps about a week of full-time studying to even begin to understand what's going on with the "basic examples" provided.

I can just hope that Dr. O or someone else like him will someday spend some minutes of his time to get this working again.

All I'd love to see is a simple plugin which:
- Submits the "Now Playing" to last.fm (after perhaps 5 seconds of playback to minimize POST "spam" on rapid track switching)
- Submits the Artist/Track/(Album?) to last.fm (after perhaps the person's listened to the song for more than half of however long it is)

The configuration can be as simple as "Last.fm Login / Last.fm Password" as long as the rest works.

It would be an awesome bonus if unicode is also supported (foreign/cyrillic chars).

I can only hope :-)
Old 14th February 2011, 19:31   #8
buggyb

winamp.exe 5.6.0 VS winamp.exe 5.581

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjaka View Post
FYI
winamp 5.601 and Winamp Audioscrobbler Plug-in (Standalone Version)
http://nunzioweb.com/daz/AudioScrobbler/
crash winamp, i put back 5.581 and work ok
It's a pitty that brand new release 5.6.x break old plugins functionality! A specially because some of the old good plugins developers are out of developping for now.. ((=
Examples:
1. gen_Wake_up_call.dll, 0.0.0.0
2. ml_audioscrobbler.dll, 1.1.10.0
same <winamp.exe 5.6.0.3091 ERR: "Unhandled exception at 0x... in winamp.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.">
It's seems that some part of the general plugins API was changed without backward compatibility!? ((=
buggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 20:15   #9
DrO

the AS plug-in was always on the point of crashing (and did at times) before 5.60x was released with the ATL framework it uses for the config dialog. and as i've said in my post to your other post, a small number of plug-ins failing is better than the security implications of not having made the changes needed for the plug-in dll loading, etc that was made in the newer Winamp versions.

-daz
Old 4th April 2011, 02:39   #10
mario0318

Send a message via AIM to mario0318
HMm, Nullsoft should make certain they loudly announce Winamp versions that are designed to break older plugins. I had hard time figuring out why Winamp started crashing on me on launch after updating it to the latest version and it was due to the audioscrobbler dll. It does suck there isnt an update for it because it was really the best way to scrobble on Winamp. The newer Lastfm programs are not as simple as was this.

Anyway, Nullsoft, speak up!

In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.
We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore.
If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
mario0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 08:19   #11
DrO

Winamp has not purposefully broken plug-ins but you cannot expect something which is 4+ years old to work properly when things have to be changed in Winamp to resolve security issues (the dll loading vulnerability which people were harassing to get in there) and with something that uses a massively old framework (ATL with the case of the AS plug-in which is notoriously buggy on 64-bit installs with the version that ia being used).

also, the last version of the AS plug-in is clearly marked as a development version so it isn't meant or expected to be stable. am seriously regretting ever having gotten involved with that plug-in now, has just been more grief than i'd ever wanted (and i still haven't gotten around to finding the code i had and my feelings now are just not to bother - i can't remember when i even used the service and i don't have much interest in using it again).

-daz
Old 4th April 2011, 14:32   #12
mario0318

Send a message via AIM to mario0318
Thanks for your work, DrO. But as buggy as it may have been it has worked wonderfully while it lasted. the AS plug in came in very handy. Hopefully there will be another smaller version available. Winamp for Android scrobbles so the concept isn't dead, even if you don't have interest in it.

In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.
We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore.
If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
mario0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:20   #13
P3tro

HeatSurge I think you should show DrO some slack.
I can appreciate its frustrating when a plug-in seems to develop a bug when a new Winamp release is out but it's not really fair to criticise a developer or Nullsoft if the plug-in is marked as a test/beta build, and/or it's some years after.

DrO, I didn't know you made/worked on the scrobbler plug-in. For what it's worth, thanks.
P3tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:20   #14
HeatSurge

Uhhh I never criticised Dr. O or his work on the AS plugin.

In fact, my greatest respects fly out to him for creating the best plugin for scrobbling to last.fm - far "better" in my opinion as far as simplicity/optimization/features than last.fm's own overbloated junk - and doing it for free on his own time.

I am simply frustrated that since it doesn't work anymore, it doesn't seem like there's an alternative except the "official" plugin which it should be clear by now how I feel about.

It's not Dr. O's fault that it doesn't work - security fixes for Winamp are always a welcome addition - it's just an unfortunate consequence.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:38   #15
stopasking
Banned

Maybe DrO would like to release the source code so others could have a go at making it work with Winamp 5.6x?
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:58   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i second that... of course the reply is something along the lines of "while that sounds good, it doesn't actually result in someone taking it over."

that may be true, but at the same time, it couldn't hurt. i wish all the plugin makers would post their projects publicly at sourceforge or google code or something like that, esp if they stop development or aren't looking for money from it.

having said all that, DrO is probably the most committed volunteer to coding 3rd party stuff for an app i've ever seen, and his work on the shoutcast stuff alone is worth its weight in gold.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:26   #17
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopasking View Post
Maybe DrO would like to release the source code so others could have a go at making it work with Winamp 5.6x?
if i could find the time to work out which drive image it's stored on (i can't remember if i'd stated that in this or the other thread) then i'd do so though even if i could find the source simple, i'd have to do work to clean it up as my last work on the code left the plug-in partially non-functioning in trying to remove all of the library dependencies which are the reason for the crash in the first place.

-daz
Old 31st May 2011, 10:05   #18
DrO

so using my day off work, i found 3 different copies of the source code for the plug-in from where i'd left things in 2008. so i need to work out what is the right one or just merge things as needed to get a properly working version of the plug-in as they have different things i was trying out it seems. in all cases it's pretty much locked down to only working with Winamp 5.x and i'm tempted to just make it only work on Winamp 5.5+ so i know i'm going to be getting unicode metadata without having to do version checks, etc.

i did get a version compiling again which worked but is ui incomplete at the moment with no proxy or include/exclude dir functionality (which needs to be overhauled anyway). so i'll finish those quirks off before putting out a test version. additionally, i will sort things out so the plug-in is in a complete state and then will put up the source code somewhere so anyone else can hack things up but at least it'll be provided in a working form.

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asplugin.png
Views:	475
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	48880  
Old 31st May 2011, 22:55   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

anyone using this would be wise to be grateful.

one aspect of making the source available, that i don't think i mentioned before, is that you basically don't have to feel responsible for maintaining it going forward. with so many things that you do, you can freely say regarding this, "well, i got it working up to here, here's the source, but i don't use it and so i'm no longer going to maintain it, however you all can" and in that way you shouldn't feel any further obligation. jmo.

--
Old 31st May 2011, 23:02   #20
DrO

that's entirely why i want to put out the source for it once i've finished off making it vaguely usable again. i wanted to do it ages back but as too much of the code was a work in progress (like the 3 versions i've got to finish sorting through) it seemed silly providing something that was just no use to man or beast.

then again, i seem to be playing more music now so i might even start using the plug-in again (especially if it's not sucking like it used to, heh).

-daz

and to keep things easier for me, the other thread about this plug-in's issues with newer Winamp builds is here
Old 25th June 2011, 03:40   #21
blackwind

Any progress?
blackwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:17   #22
Gandalfs Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Any progress?
seconded
Gandalfs Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:54   #23
DrO

gone on the back burner again (did manage a few hours work on it 2 weeks ago) though my next time to work on it is likely 1st week of august i.e. using my holiday time up to work on it.

-daz
Old 9th July 2011, 14:39   #24
Gandalfs Mother

Quote:
gone on the back burner again (did manage a few hours work on it 2 weeks ago) though my next time to work on it is likely 1st week of august i.e. using my holiday time up to work on it.

-daz
much appreciated!
Gandalfs Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:00   #25
HeatSurge

Dr. O,

Holy crap dude, this is amazing you're picking this back up! I'd SO appreciate it if you get it working again.

I'm all for making it work with the latest winamp version only (everyone should be fully updated anyway). If it were me, I wouldn't spend any of my time trying to make it compatible with older versions if it's not extremely easy...

Also, proxy and exclude dir aren't really critical features imo... I personally never used them. I understand if someone's behind proxy (does that even happen anymore these days) s/he would be extremely frustrated, but... meh.

Can we have a working build for that "incomplete" version?

Man, if it supports unicode too, I think everyone here would love you long time .
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:36   #26
Ryker

Quote:

-daz
This is my first post here, and I basically just registered to tell you that your work is greatly appreciated!
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 17:21   #27
blackwind

Fingers crossed for some positive news this weekend!
Old 7th August 2011, 09:41   #28
tantesaus

I also registered here just to show my appreciation for the work being done on this plugin.
tantesaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:35   #29
DrO

it won't be happening this weekend as i've only had 4hrs coding time the whole week. will most likely be some point next weekend now. am sure that'll piss people off but i've had more important things to do to my home which meant no free coding time.

-daz
Old 25th August 2011, 20:06   #30
blackwind

And two and a half weeks later, we still don't have so much as a status update.

This right here is the one and only concern I've had from the beginning, daz. It's not that I'm "pissed off" -- on the contrary, I fully appreciate the work you're doing on the plugin, just as I appreciate that there are far more important things in life than charity -- but if you can't envision yourself seeing this through to completion, I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd much sooner take what you have now than wait around indefinitely.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:26   #31
DrO

and two and half weeks later, and we still don't have a fully working SHOUTcast system which is what i came back too after a week off from my SHOUTcast work.

and in that time, no 'fun' coding has been done and until the SHOUTcast stuff is resolved there will be no 'fun' coding on any project, be it this or the jtfe plug-in which i need to get fixed as well to resolve the trickle of support issues which keep coming in related to that.

i don't like it, you don't like it, but that's how it is and maybe i should have posted an update in this thread again sooner / just pushed out something buggy (doesn't preserve settings at that was all being changed before things ground to a halt again) that is going to cause even more grief, but as things stand i've more important things to worry about.

-daz
Old 26th August 2011, 12:12   #32
blackwind

Release just the source, then. Someone who possesses the requisite know-how will finish it for you, those who don't won't be able to use it in the interim, and this'll be one less thing to worry about on your clearly overflowing plate.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:22   #33
DrO

what's the point in releasing broken code?

you know what, just make your own fucking version! i'm just tired of the shit i get off people like you always wanting wanting wanting, well make your own bloody plug-in and get what you want.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:05   #34
blackwind

Quote:
what's the point in releasing broken code?
It appears you were too busy to even read my two-sentence post, so let me re-quote that for you:

Quote:
Someone who possesses the requisite know-how will finish it for you, those who don't won't be able to use it in the interim, and this'll be one less thing to worry about on your clearly overflowing plate.
You're stuck on file I/O. That's five minutes of work for a skilled developer, maybe an hour or two for an unskilled one. To put that in perspective, you've spent more time posting excuses here than it would've taken me to finish your work for you, and all I would've needed is the source you were supposedly going to publish anyway.

Quote:
you know what, just make your own fucking version!
Now that it's clear you never had any intention whatsoever of releasing yours, that's exactly what I intend to do. It's just a shame we'll never get back the time you spent leading us on. Just one more week, right?

You've got a lot of growing up to do, bro. Hope you can find some time someday to work on that as well.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:29   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
anyone using this would be wise to be grateful.
guys,

give DrO some respect. he puts out a ton of extremely useful stuff in a lot of areas. back off him. if you want something, approach him differently and use a light touch.

right now, there are problems with the shoutcast webend, and thats the priority. how important is audioscrobbler compared to that anyway? come on.

egg deserves respect, benski deserves respect, and so does DrO. work with them, not against them, and have some understanding.

--
Old 26th August 2011, 21:28   #36
DrO

Quote:
You're stuck on file I/O. That's five minutes of work for a skilled developer, maybe an hour or two for an unskilled one. To put that in perspective, you've spent more time posting excuses here than it would've taken me to finish your work for you, and all I would've needed is the source you were supposedly going to publish anyway.
you might be a robot who doesn't have a life, have any friends, relationships, etc but some of us do and when working long hours already coding, who wants to then spend more time on that. you need to get the perspective on things. oh it's only 5 minutes, based on that where's you're plug-in, you've had enough time since you posted.

Quote:
Now that it's clear you never had any intention whatsoever of releasing yours
that is an absolute slur, it has always been intended to release it but as you're now stuck in your self-righteous bubble, nothings going to get through to you.

Quote:
You've got a lot of growing up to do, bro. Hope you can find some time someday to work on that as well.
i really don't care if that's what you think about me / my actions / what i've not provided and i'm not going to lose sleep over it (seeing as sleep is more important than Winamp plug-in will ever be).

if spamming people with your listening habits is so important then you should have gotten off your arse and done something sooner rather than talking it up as you have been doing as well - ironically that makes you sound more like me over this plug-in.
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:09   #37
krzym1

Tell you wat, this plugin actually works with newest winamp on my 32bit XP SP3 but causes winamp to crash on my laptop with 64bit Win7.

And imho I cant really see why not release broken code, either if no1 will fix it or if someone will you still can release your version later (if u r ever going to) I cant see any harm in that, ofc you can do whatever you desire - I'm just saying my opinion I barely know C not to mention any other progr languages.
krzym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 02:12   #38
hawk82

Send a message via ICQ to hawk82 Send a message via AIM to hawk82
Sorry to be bumping an old thread, but I have a way to get Winamp + Last.fm/Audioscrobbler plugin working on Windows 7 64-bit. I just did a reinstall and ran into issues with Winamp crashing on startup after I installed the Last.FM/Audioscrobbler plugin.

Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Install fresh copy of Winamp (currently using 5.623).
2. Download and install AudioScrobbler Plugin For Winamp 5.x v1.1.9 Beta 3 from here.
3. Open up Notepad. Copy and paste the following:
code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audioscrobbler]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audioscrobbler\Winamp Plugin]
"username"="yourlastdotfmusernamehere"
"password"="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
"pluginenabled"=dword:00000001
"forceconnection"=dword:00000000
"showupgradeinfo"=dword:00000001
"useproxy"=dword:00000000
"proxyserver"=""
"proxyport"=dword:00001f90
"useproxyauth"=dword:00000000
"proxyuser"=""
"proxypass"=""
"includedircount"=dword:00000000

4. Type in your last.fm username in the field above.
5. Go to this site and create an MD5 hash of your last.fm password. Or if you are handy with linux you can do it on the commandline. Copy and paste the MD5 hash into the password field above.
6. Save the file as "audioscrobbler registry settings.reg" or whatever you want.
7. Then merge the registry file.
8. Open Winamp and you should be good to go.

The issue appears to be that plugin cannot provide the dialog box after the installation which causes Winamp to crash each time. This registry hack is essentially what the dialog box creates for Windows registry settings.
hawk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 04:51   #39
MrSinatra
Forum King

impressive.

fyi, 5.63 is the current ver.

--
Old 26th August 2012, 06:00   #40
thevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk82 View Post
Sorry to be bumping an old thread, but I have a way to get Winamp + Last.fm/Audioscrobbler plugin working on Windows 7 64-bit. I just did a reinstall and ran into issues with Winamp crashing on startup after I installed the Last.FM/Audioscrobbler plugin.

Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Install fresh copy of Winamp (currently using 5.623).
2. Download and install AudioScrobbler Plugin For Winamp 5.x v1.1.9 Beta 3 from here.
3. Open up Notepad. Copy and paste the following:
code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audioscrobbler]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Audioscrobbler\Winamp Plugin]
"username"="yourlastdotfmusernamehere"
"password"="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
"pluginenabled"=dword:00000001
"forceconnection"=dword:00000000
"showupgradeinfo"=dword:00000001
"useproxy"=dword:00000000
"proxyserver"=""
"proxyport"=dword:00001f90
"useproxyauth"=dword:00000000
"proxyuser"=""
"proxypass"=""
"includedircount"=dword:00000000

4. Type in your last.fm username in the field above.
5. Go to this site and create an MD5 hash of your last.fm password. Or if you are handy with linux you can do it on the commandline. Copy and paste the MD5 hash into the password field above.
6. Save the file as "audioscrobbler registry settings.reg" or whatever you want.
7. Then merge the registry file.
8. Open Winamp and you should be good to go.

The issue appears to be that plugin cannot provide the dialog box after the installation which causes Winamp to crash each time. This registry hack is essentially what the dialog box creates for Windows registry settings.
This guy's got it. Working in 5.63 = noice :-)
thevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports