Old 10th February 2011, 10:00   #1
LlamaLlamaLamp

Permission to use your beautiful artwork?

Heya all,

I've used MilkDrop for years and I still haven't found anything more beautiful, responsive or diverse in the world of visualisations. I've kind of fallen into the task of displaying visuals at a venue in Australia (I told someone there that the visuals suck - turns out he worked there and told me to show him better...cue MilkDrop).

Anyways I would like to ask everyone for permission to use their presets in a public place? I'm only doing it one or two nights a week. I am being paid for doing it but I am more than happy to pay royalties (PM me if you'd prefer, I will keep it confidential).

I don't know if it makes a difference to you guys or not but I'm not just walking in there and double clicking Winamp, I'm not that shameless. I've been spending a lot of time reviewing, categorising and renaming each preset based on speed, rating, reactivity, colours, brightness, etc. I've created heaps of scripts to display images in different ways, created keyboard macros, reduced audio latency and bunch of other stuff. I estimate I've spent at least 70 hours on it in the last month. I'm really interested in pushing MilkDrop to it's limits, I freaking love it! I still have much to learn and experiment with and I get the feeling there is a whole bunch of MilkDrop stuff that never got documented?

Thank you for all of your hard work and sexy works of art! Who knew math could look so good!?!?
LlamaLlamaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 13:12   #2
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:26   #3
Amandio C

Hello. I believe no author ever asked for royalties. It is good practice though to display once in a while the name of the preset (F4), which also contains the author's name.
Amandio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 16:26   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

Yeah, feel free to use my presets (martin). I'm pleased to hear that you bother to sort the stuff. Im my feeling the success of a milkdrop session entirely depends on choosing the right presets for the music, and it can go terribly wrong, as some youtube videos demonstrate. I always missed a feature to assign presets to music styles, it cannot be done other than by renaming or packing into individual directories. I also experimented with algos to make my own presets adjust their behaviour at least to the tempo of the music but got not very far with that... the DJ needs to do it.

Ah, on the "not documented" milkdrop stuff - not sure what you mean by that, except that only a small fraction of existing presets are actually included in the official winamp distribution. Just scan the forums for more, and newer stuff.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 01:24   #5
yhscchpcbr

yes, please do use all presets

ayahuasca chupacabra
yhscchpcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 15:56   #6
Zylot
Major Dude

Yes you may

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:46   #7
LlamaLlamaLamp

Sorry for the late reply, I've been super busy and running into lots of fun problems

Thank you everyone! I can't thank you enough! Seriously, I wasn't sure what I was going to do if guys had said no. It would have been a waste though I tell ya! - The world doesn't know what they are missing out on until they see MilkDrop in action!

@Amandio C - I did that a couple of times, but then I forgot about it until I reread your post just now. I'm going to start making it a habit from now on though and show the author names at least 4 times a night. I have to use the msg.ini file to display them though as I'm running MD in VJ mode so F4 only shows the preset names in the VJ console.

@Nitorami (martin) - Yeah the organising has taken forever and as I look for more presets I have to do those too. But the worst thing is that I keep thinking of new categories to sort the presets into, so each time I have to go through them all again. At the moment I've got: Best speed of music for preset(slow, medium, fast, etc.), The original rating I gave it, How reactive the preset is to music, How colourful or dark the preset is, How bright or dark the preset is and now I'm adding how well the preset responds and interacts to images (from milk2_img.ini) and HOW it responds (blurs, multiplies, etc.). When I've gone through most of the current ones, I'll upload it here - it may be of use to someone....

Also, when i mentioned 'undocumented stuff' I was basically referring to the possible existence of hidden commands or interactions with the VJ console, etc. I've encountered a few weird problems so far and there are certain things that I haven't been able to do (but have overcome some of them through external programs and scripting). But I'll ask those specific questions in their own threads.

Once again, thank you all so much for the permission - but more importantly, thank you for your hard work and creativity! You should see the look on peoples faces when they see MilkDrop running for the first time.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:37   #8
Phat
Major Dude

Anything with Phat, Eo.S. or Anandamide you're welcome to use for live performances. No need for royalties, as long as it's just VJing out.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 12:44   #9
LlamaLlamaLamp

Awesome, thanks heaps Phat (and E.o.S and Anandamide)! I'm still just VJing at the one place...but as soon as I start making a living out of this I'm going to start paying you guys royalties whether you like it or not! lol
Old 28th March 2011, 14:29   #10
Phat
Major Dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-YLj...e_gdata_player that tripped me out. It would look awesome in a club.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:04   #11
ORB 13

sure you can use anything I have made.
ORB 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 21:47   #12
XeroTrinity

Ive only really put out one visualization but youre welcome to use it =] its sure to please
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=329036
XeroTrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 09:40   #13
LlamaLlamaLamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-YLj...e_gdata_player that tripped me out. It would look awesome in a club.
Damn that is cool. It would be freaking awesome if it could react in some way to the colours on the screen.
Old 4th April 2011, 08:14   #14
Phat
Major Dude

I think that's what that was doing actually. I think it was detecting the colors on the screen and using them. That's why I think it's so cool.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets