Old 7th October 2012, 19:20   #1
JanetCoop

Your Alphabetical Order Is Inaccurate: PLEASE FIX

This has been driving me insane for a while...I imagine young people learning to alphabetize and thinking that your way is how to do it...You are promoting incorrect grammar!!

May I point out that you have all song titles beginning with the article "A" together? This is INCORRECT! The word "A" in a title (such as "A Song For You") is just like the word "The" (as in "The Day Before You Came"): it is an ARTICLE...The title should be alphabetized in the "S" list for the former, and the "D" list for the latter!
The word "An" is also an article, and titles beginning with "An" should also be listed by the 2nd word ("An Even Number" would be listed in the "E's")...

You list songs beginning with "The" correctly ("The Night Before" in the "N" list, for example), yet you schizophrenically have titles beginning with "A..." and "An..." in the wrong places...WHY???

I would like to formally request that these egregious mistakes be corrected, and that song titles be listed correctly and accurately, following simple grade-school teaching of the proper use of English grammar...A fifth-grader can alphabetize properly, so why can't you?? Please address this issue as soon as possible, and fix your alphabetization...
Sincerely, Janet Cooper
JanetCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 19:36   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
old issue:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=346148

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 08:35   #3
JanetCoop

I have recently discovered that when you have titles containing a contraction, such as "You'll" or "You're," that the are all jumbled up and it it very confusing...The correct way should be:
1. "You [second word alphebatized: "You Ain't..., "You Are," "You B-", "You C-" - and so on...
2. "You'll..." "You're..." "You've..."
3. "Your"...
4. "Yours..."
Same with "I [Letter]: "I A..." through "I Wr...", folloed by "I'd," "I'll," "I'm," "I've," & so forth, then whole words, such as "Ice," "Ideal..." then the "If" titles, etc.

You have some titles corrct and some not!! PLEASE fix this as it is extremely painful and irritating to look at this schizoid, slapdash mess...
Thank you.
Sincerely, Janet Cooper
JanetCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 09:14   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Janet,

i think you are conflating issues. your problem is with whats in your files tags. thats not a winamp problem, but rather a problem of what you/your files literally have written for data. its basically up to you to standard how any one item is denoted/displayed.

the OP was complaining about how winamp alphabetizes when the data in the files is otherwise correct.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 09:01   #5
MarzEz

Digging up a rather old post here, but relevant to title: is there any chance of including an option to organize numbers after letters in the playlist?
For example, organized by name, 9000 Miles (by Pendulum) would come after Zooropa (by U2).
MarzEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 14:23   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

In both of these cases, the order of letters\numbers\characters is set by the order of the ASCII table. A standard used throughout computing.

Numbers have always come before letters, so MarzEz you will always be out of luck. Check out how Explorer will list your files. Or even Excel, etc.

And Janet's You, Your, You're, Yours order is the same issue. Winamp is correctly listing those files in alphabetically order. A space, apostrophe, number, etc all have their own place in the "alphabetical" ordering based on the ASCII table.

Have an ASCII table to read to see the ordering.
http://www.asciitable.com/

Also check out the Dictionary, Phone Book, in fact almost ANY index and you will find the same "numbers before letters" ordering is standard.

The first post on the "The" issue, is well explained on that other thread. As MrSinatra pointed out.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist