Old 24th October 2002, 06:49   #1
allhailskippy

New Skin : Aries

Opinions?

edit: it's pixelated from jpeg compression.. the real thing's much smoother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (29.4 KB, 629 views)
allhailskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 06:59   #2
xanax

I really like the LDC.. but I can't say the same for the controls.
I think they could be less beveled.
xanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 10:06   #3
ICEMAN256

I like the skin, the artwork is pretty good. However one of two things need to change, either you need to give a new name, or actually paste a picture of Aries somewhere on it.
ICEMAN256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 18:27   #4
Digitalhigh

The bevelling on the buttons IS too much, it takes away from the definition of the characters. The display is really tight, but could be a little less bright, it's almost harsh on the eyes. Dig the name tho, Iceman's got a point, maybe you could do an overlay of the aries sign with it's alpha turned way down so that it's really faint. Look forward to seeing this completed.
Old 24th October 2002, 18:30   #5
Roberto Cuellar

hey, i love the lcd and the shape but as ***** said controls look a little too beveled, good concept tough. I just see in the picture something that i've trying to do in my skin unsuccesfully and maybe you could give me a lttle help on it. the eq drawer is below everything and when displayed it appears right?? but i can't make anything appear if it gets out of the main layout, if you could help me on that would be great.
Thanx
Roberto Cuellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 21:44   #6
allhailskippy

I appreciate the feed back.. and i'm going to start some changes to the skin...

yes.. you're damn right i should have a picture... it'll go in the thinger window where the other text is...

i'll see what i can do about the control buttons.. i think they look cool myself.. but i dont' have a low quality pic to go from.. i'll do a better one soon.. and maybe i'll try a different approach to them..

as for the lcd screen.. before i put up the skin.. ill be sure to put a tonne of colour schemes... hopefully one less bright than this.. so that there's something for everyone..

to get that drawer to work properly.. i made the background of my thinger much larger than it was... but with transparancy to leave room for the drawers...

then in order to have the drawer show up... i give the background image i'm using for the eq sysregion="1".

both of these fall within my main layout... they are not separate...this is probably why you are having so much troubles..

hope that helps..

keep the suggesions coming.. they're really useful..

thanks

Paul
Old 25th October 2002, 03:11   #7
allhailskippy

Here it is after some changes.. aries sign is now in it... and i've changed the play buttons.. hopefully a better quality jpg too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (61.7 KB, 253 views)
Old 25th October 2002, 08:39   #8
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
yes, it now looks much better.
why dont you change the font of the title? it would seem a lot less windows-ish then.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 12:04   #9
ICEMAN256

The buttons look much better with the smaller bevel, and the I do like the picture in the thinger. I noticed that the equilizer attaches the thinger on the right and the themes on the left. This leaves some som space on the right and left sides of the player. Just an idea, you could attach the playlist on left and the media libray on the right(or the other way around).

I got a question for you, I noticed that you were able to change the visualization. I am curious as how you did that. I have yet to figure out how to change the visualization without trying to stick an alpha layer on top(which does very little).(I assume you change the picture, but I don't know where that is, or how to find it).
Old 25th October 2002, 13:09   #10
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
ICEMAN256 - please refer to the "skin love" sticky thread at the top of the forum. there are links to tutorials on how to do everything you have asked.

allhailskippy - your 'themes' button seems to stick out too much, and the cbuttons (play, pause, stop...all that jazz) also need work (the black is too harsh, they need some sort of texture)
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 16:50   #11
allhailskippy

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
allhailskippy - your 'themes' button seems to stick out too much, and the cbuttons (play, pause, stop...all that jazz) also need work (the black is too harsh, they need some sort of texture) [/B]
i'm not entirly sure what you mean by stick out... as in the z-depth?..

and yeah.. i'm still trying to get the play buttons to look better.. they won't be like that in the final..

Quote:
I noticed that the equilizer attaches the thinger on the right and the themes on the left. This leaves some som space on the right and left sides of the player. Just an idea, you could attach the playlist on left and the media libray on the right(or the other way around).
i'm not sure what you mean here.. the eq.. and themes are drawers... they don't detach at all.. just slide into the back of the player..

perhaps you could just circle the area's that you're refering too.. cause i can't see any place like you're describing..

thanks,

Paul
Old 25th October 2002, 18:19   #12
ICEMAN256

Perhaps "attach" is the wrong word to use, in hindsight. I didn't mean phisically attaching the the playlist or media library to the player because it can't be done (well, not I'm aware of). I simply meant putting a snap boint on both sides of the player. One on the left and one on the right so that when someone moves the playlist or media library to one of those points, the they will automaticly "snap to" the player.(Of course, if somebody had a really long playlist, they might to try to resize it and that wouldn't look so good). hope this makes a little more sense.

http://www.icemancgi.*************/screenshot.jpg

Last edited by ICEMAN256; 25th October 2002 at 18:58.
Old 25th October 2002, 18:33   #13
Digitalhigh

Looks nice...The aries symbol is a nice touch. A question: Is the thinger in it's own drawer? It's a really kickass concept, but from the SS it looks like you're devoting too much space to little functionality. Maybe scale down the thinger a bit?
Old 25th October 2002, 20:15   #14
allhailskippy

ok..i understand what you're saying about the pl and ml now... but i can't see that being practical.. because the main window comes down to cover the thinger... which is great.. as long as the eq drawer isn't open... it would just end up obscuring it..

of course.. this isn't to say i can't add in a snap point.. just that it might cause some problems when the player is down..

"technically" the thinger isn't in a drawer.. but on top of the main background... the player comes down to cover over it.. and the two side drawers come out of it as well..

as for space:functionality.. i don't think so.. since i'm having troubles with coming up with things to fill space as it is..

the themes drawer isn't going to be a themes drawer... unless i can find a way to have them in there without using a standard frame... because after trying a tonne of ways.. it just doesn't look good.

i'm planning on changing it to a custom vis drawer instead... at least.. that's the plan..

thanks,

Paul
Old 1st November 2002, 06:47   #15
allhailskippy

I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but i have made some changes. Probably for the worst.

I can't find a way to make the left drawer look good with the themes frame in it, it just doesn't work. So i've moved the thinger to the left drawer and have essentially fuck all in the middle now.

I am looking for suggestions and idea's as to what you think would be good in it, and on how to improve the thinger drawer. Or any other part of the skin for that matter.

Thanks,

Paul

Skin:

http://www.primetimedeliverance.net/wa3/aries.wal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.jpg (8.4 KB, 180 views)
Old 1st November 2002, 06:49   #16
allhailskippy

Better ss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.jpg (30.6 KB, 214 views)
Old 1st November 2002, 06:50   #17
Nevex

Way to much emboss going on there
Nevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2002, 06:51   #18
allhailskippy

with which part?.. or just the whole thing.

and any alternatives?
Old 1st November 2002, 08:26   #19
ICEMAN256

Ah, yes, the continuing clash between artistry and functionality. you have quite a few choices depending on which way you want to go.

For artistry: keep the thinger drawer right where it is. The equilzer drawer on the left balences it and creates a good look. Keep the picture where it is, it looks just fine (you might want to make it a drawer as well so the player can run in a more compact state, as well). you can put the themes in three different places. The bottom where the word Aries appears using that as drawer. you can then center it and works no mattter how wide it is. You can also put it above the player, adding a drawer at the top. You could just make the themes in a seperate window and add a snap point on the top or bottom of the player instead. There is also one other possibility (though this might look a little wired). you could put the drawers on both sides of the player (where I suggested the snap points for the PL and ML) and have them both open up into themes drawers on each side. (You could have different or the same themes displayed in each one). It might be kind of wired, but it is definately something that has never been tried before!

For functionality: forget the picture, or paste it onto the background of the player. Put two drawers on the left of the player, the top one for the equilizer, and the second one for the thinger (you make to make the thinger quite a bit thinner to fit in the space). and put the Themes drawer on the right(of course, you could swich this and put the themes drawer on the right and the equizer and thinger on the left. Or you just make the equilizer and the themes on just one side and add a snap point on the other for themes if you want in a different window. This won't look so good but it will be much bit more compact, there seems to be growing number of people who like players this way (which is kind of disturbing!).

Although you could could go either way (you could mix and match some of this). I think you should have artistry over functionality. These skins often look better, and isn't that the reason a skin is made?
Old 1st November 2002, 15:42   #20
allhailskippy

I understand what you're saying about a lot of stuff there, and i'll see some of the stuff you mentions is doable, and if you try the skin out, you'll see that is does run in a relativly compact state.

As for anything to do with the themes, is there anyway i can have them as part of my main component without using a standard frame? This would probably solve most of my problems. The reason i ask is because all of the drawers have a kinda gloss over them, and the standard frame looks really dumb when it isn't under the glass.

Thanks for responding,

Paul
Old 2nd November 2002, 11:07   #21
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

i actually realy like this one, but it seems sort of blurry - could you try and sharpen it up?
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2002, 17:34   #22
allhailskippy

yes i can. i have compressed all my pics to 8 bit png's to cut back on size until i have a finished product.

when i'm done they will likely be either 24 or 32 bit png's.

And thx, glad you like it.

Paul
Old 2nd November 2002, 22:44   #23
GLewellen

there seems to be alot of open space on this skin, open space can be effective to create a good design only when it is used correctly, this is not the case for your design. perhaps you should decrease the size of the player around the internal lcd content OR increase the size of the lcd content to mold around the body.

CGA-STACKS (DA) | AIRPS 2.0 (DA) | AIRPS 2.0 (Removed by WA.com Available @ DA) | MAKI/M Ext Icons | Oberon
GLewellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2002, 01:17   #24
allhailskippy

i'm very aware of how empty some of it looks... but i have absolutely no idea what i can fill it with.

the thinger is too empty, and the thing with the symbol should have something functional.. but i don't know what.

i WANT to put the themes there, but because they use a standard frame, they will always look bad.

as for the content, i'll probably make the vis much bigger, this should fill in the empty area on the sides, and perhaps make a darker background or something at the top to define things a bit more.

Paul
Old 3rd November 2002, 05:14   #25
MarinerMan95

Send a message via ICQ to MarinerMan95 Send a message via AIM to MarinerMan95 Send a message via Yahoo to MarinerMan95
nice!

Oh sweet, I really like this skin. cool cool.The new image (ss.jpg) that changed the skin quite a bit looks cool in my opinion. keep up the good work
MarinerMan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2002, 04:50   #26
allhailskippy

ok.. i increased the size of the vis, and moved some stuff around.

better? worse?

here's a new ss in it's compact state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.jpg (14.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 4th November 2002, 07:26   #27
Nevex

Getting better, the colors dont go well together and there is still to much emboss.
Nevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 08:37   #28
Dynamik

Send a message via AIM to Dynamik
Great skin skippy! I love the scratched steel look. The playbuttons were pretty sweet when you started, I think the jpg format comprimised them for appreciation. I like the 3d look to it, it looks like its sticks out more at the top. Not so much to where its leaning at you, just like its propped up so you can see it.
Why not make the color themes drawer at the bottom? It doesnt have to be all shiny! Just functional, It would be hidden most of the time once the user finds thier fav color anyway. You could also have more than one drawer in the same spot (like mmd3).
I like the openness to it, It's nice and simple yet just as functional as it needs to be. Not cluttered or confusing.
Dynamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins