X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wichi777
    • Aug 2013

music pauses while playing

started having this problem about 2 months ago. never happened before. I'm playing a song and then stops for about 10 seconds. reinstalled and still does it. I have my music on an external hard drive and do not know if it's the hd or the program. please help.

thanks
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

Hi wichi777,

It may be something in your Winamp configuration (3rd party plug-in?) or settings or it could be delays in reading the external drive (although 10 sec sounds extreme). Have you tried a different cable and/or connection port? Is the external drive pretty much full or hasn't been defragged recently? Do other apps have trouble reading from it?

Use the Winamp Info Tool (linked to in the thread below) to make an extended report of your configuration and use the advanced reply editor to attach it to a post.

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

If you are using mp3 files, you can configure the mp3 input plug-in to load the entire file into RAM instead of reading it in pieces from the external drive. Look in General Preferences - Plug-ins - Input, select "in_mp3.dll" on the right and click the "Configure" button. On the "General" tab, enter a value in the "Full File Buffering" option that is larger than your largest mp3 file.
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• wichi777
      • Aug 2013

winamp info tool

<changed to attachment by Moderation>
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

Hi wichi777,

As you see, the report is long. That's why I asked you to attach it to a post instead of cut & paste. Having to scroll through it in the forum could reduce those willing to try to help. And you have not answered any of the questions asked. Details are important to solving uncommon issues.

Anyway, nothing oblivious sticks out in the report related to your issue, imo. But, I'm only a long time user, not a developer. I see you've registered Winamp to just about every format possible. Do you really want/need this? The free version will need adjustments to some settings to work with some of those formats, especially the video ones.

I suggest you remove the portable media player plug-ins you don't actually use. There have been random reports of problems with various ones.

I don't know what "gen_nopro.dll" does. Is it one of DrO's? His plug-ins are usually very good, but he has pulled them because he does not have the time or desire to keep them updated for new Winamp versions. The features of some of them have been added to Winamp's native code.

There is a relatively new safe mode option that lets you run Winamp with only official plug-ins. Try that. Look in General Preferences and select the heading for "Plug-ins". There is a button on the bottom right to restart in "Safe Mode".

Comment

• wichi777
          • Aug 2013

reply to music pauses while playing

Thanks very much for your reply. how do you remove that portable media plugin?

how do i see the other replies

thanks,

wichi777

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
            I don't know what "gen_nopro.dll" does. Is it one of DrO's? His plug-ins are usually very good, but he has pulled them because he does not have the time or desire to keep them updated for new Winamp versions. The features of some of them have been added to Winamp's native code.
            It's Lite'n Preferences from the Essentials Pack (for allowing some of the preference pages to be removed when not needed and did add a few display style tweaks which are native as of the v5.64 release). it wouldn't be having an effect on playback.
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• wichi777
              • Aug 2013

answer messages

new and having problems navigating the forum. could you please tell me how do I view my answers

thanks

Comment

• DrO
                • Sep 2003

there are no specific 'answer' views - everything you see in this thread (or other threads you've created) is all there is. you can click on your username or just access http://forums.winamp.com/member.php?u=498411 and then you can search for your own posts / threads to see what has been posted in reply to them.
                WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Aminifu
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by wichi777 View Post
                  Thanks very much for your reply. how do you remove that portable media plugin?
                  According to your configuration report, 7 portable media player plug-ins were installed. Look in General Preferences - Plug-ins - Portables. Select each one you're not using and click the button to uninstall it.

Or shutdown Winamp and use Windows Explorer to go to the folder where the plug-ins are located and rename their extension from ".dll" to ".off" for those you're not using. Then if you later decide to try using one or more of them, just shutdown Winamp, change the extension back to ".dll", and restart Winamp.

You can do this for any plug-in you want to disable, instead of uninstalling it.

Comment

• wichi777
                    • Aug 2013

I was advised to uninstall my portables plugins that I don't need. I have a usb external drive and was wondering if uninstalling the usb pllugin would affect my music on winamp.

thanks

Comment

• Aminifu
                      Forum King
                      • Aug 2011

Hi wichi777,

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that plug-in is needed for reading/writing to an external storage drive. Try disabling it (as explained in post #9) to find out. The plug-in is in the Winamp/Plugins folder, rename it from "pmp_usb.dll" to "pmp_usb.off".

Comment

Working...
                      X