Old 8th March 2006, 02:37   #1
dandaman32

Why I ditched Winamp

Alright, I admit it. I recently stopped using Winamp. I had been using it for years, but it seems that especially with the move up to Winamp5 it has been very, very slow. Even on new installations, I have time to open up Process Explorer (task manager replacement, takes awhile to start up) and kill it before the main player window even shows.

Computer:
Acer TravelMate 230 Laptop
Intel Celeron 2GHz
256MB RAM (but I just ordered another 512MB earler today)
30GB hard disk
Brand spankin' new Windows installation

I've switched over to musikCube because it's open source and it's alot faster.

IMHO Winamp should be majorly changed to work faster. Both startup and shutdown - plus RAM usage too (although that won't be a problem foe me anymore ) should be optimized.

In summary: speed. I'll go back to Winamp when it has a lot of it.

Edit: never downloaded version 5.2 but according to another thread it's even slower.

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
dandaman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 02:45   #2
synthetiq

you got some reason in what you said! honnestly i think a little bit like you,but ...i would never stop using winamp...
synthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 03:34   #3
mikm
Major Dude

Try ditching Predixis. I did a little test. I loaded the same playlist into Musikcube, foobar, and Winamp and played the same song. All use roughly the same amount of RAM (~10MB).

Winamp, foobar, and musikcube all take roughly the same time to start. And I'm on a 750Mhz PIII w/ 256 MB RAM.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 06:08   #4
ivand67

Ummmmm... Yeaaaah, ummm, try maybe getting a decent PC.

Sorry, but, ACER TRAVELMATE LAPTOP!? 256 RAM and Celeron?!

You get what you pay for...
ivand67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 11:26   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://www.suspectz.org/like_the_wind/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 12:48   #6
UltraZelda64

It runs pretty damn good for me (and always has, no matter what I put it on), on an old 1.7GHz Pentium 4 with 256 megs of PC800 RDRAM. And I'm running XP Pro on this machine (in other words: the low memory on this system is a major bottleneck... but at least the overall system runs better than Windows Me did). Now, if only RDRAM wasn't so damn expensive and hard to find...

Use classic skins, close any Winamp windows you don't need (especially the media library), and disable/uninstall any plugins you don't need... you might see an improvement. Though, I've got dozens of plugins loaded currently and Winamp loads almost instantly...
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 16:25   #7
spleef420

Send a message via AIM to spleef420 Send a message via Yahoo to spleef420
Re: Why I ditched Winamp

Quote:
Intel Celeron 2GHz
"yup, here's your problem...someone set this thing to evil."

a 200 mhz Pentium outruns a 2gHz Celeron. The extra 512 megs of RAM will help but the CPU is your main issue.
spleef420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 18:24   #8
Beau Kemp

"a 200 mhz Pentium outruns a 2gHz Celeron"

What kind of crack are you smoking??
Beau Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 18:48   #9
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

No difference to Winamp 2, just install the plugins, you really need.

I guess memory usage in playlist editor was improved in the latest builds.

Quote:
a 200 mhz Pentium outruns a 2gHz Celeron
A little bit exorbitant, but it's true, a Celeron never reaches the performance of a P4 or Athlon with the same frequenze.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 21:23   #10
spleef420

Send a message via AIM to spleef420 Send a message via Yahoo to spleef420
Quote:
Originally posted by Beau Kemp
"a 200 mhz Pentium outruns a 2gHz Celeron"

What kind of crack are you smoking??
That was a joke, I say a JOKE son...laugh boy!

It is somewhat true in the sense that any Pentium can handle more processes than any Celeron.
spleef420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 22:03   #11
retchless

A more realistic "x outruns y" scenario would be an Athlon T-bird 1.3 GHz (circa 2001) vs. a 2 GHz Celeron (circa 2003).

My boss got a "good deal" on a "top of the line" computer (2 GHz Celeron), and needless to say, system performance was terrible. I never had any problems running winamp on my Athlon 1.3 GHz machine, but that celeron choked whenever any multitasking was happening while music was playing (in any media player).
retchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 13:41   #12
breaksguy

Quote:
Originally posted by ivand67
Ummmmm... Yeaaaah, ummm, try maybe getting a decent PC.

Sorry, but, ACER TRAVELMATE LAPTOP!? 256 RAM and Celeron?!

You get what you pay for...
i second this. try adding more ram, adn then at least trying again

breaks guy
breaksguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 17:30   #13
catachresistant

dandaman32, I dunno if you're still here, but I sympathise. The one thing I've always disliked about Winamp is how slow it is, especially with modern skins enabled. I'm an impatient bastard, and speed is practically my main concern with all software, it governs everything that I use.
I'm not going to disable modern skins because I like having Winamp docked at the top of my screen, a feature lacking in almost all its competitors.
But here's the thing.
Winamp has not gotten any slower. In fact, the last update before 5.2 had the biggest performance boost Winamp has had since I first started using it around six years ago. Which leads me to believe that the developers here do give a shit about speed as much as I do, and they're working on it.
Switch to classic skin, use the exact same plugin set as Winamp2, and compare Winamp5 to Winamp2. Is Winamp5 any slower? Really?
The key here is "same plugin set". Just dump all the shit you don't need on the install screen.
In any case, if MusikCube works for you, great. At least you didn't jump ship to iTunes or some other piece of shit. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Winamp is only slower if you're installing all the additional (and slightly superfluous) trimmings. And beyond that, the developers really are working on optimising it, and I find that heartening in this age of glacial bloatware where developers and users alike seem to think that bigger + slower = better.

On a personal note, I'd just like to say that while every other day we get people ditching Winamp on this forum, I'm more than happy with the way things are going. And I'm sure I'm just one of the silent majority that seriously appreciates all the work the Winamp dev team puts into each build. We don't post often, but that's only because we have absolutely nothing to complain about.

PS - everyone blaming his computer is missing the point. It's not that Winamp is slow, it's that Winamp is slower than MusikCube. Besides Winamp being a more complicated program, there isn't a fucking excuse for that. There isn't a processor in the world that's going to change that. What this guy (and me too) wants, is for Winamp to be faster and more responsive regardless of processor. Something that runs slower than another application on a 2gz Celeron is probably going to run slower than that same application on a dual-core AMD64. Optimisation is hardly prioritised when it comes to any application, because users like you lot are content to sit back and let your £300 processors cover up for shoddy, inefficent programming. If everyone decided to tighten up their code we wouldn't need such great processors in the first place, and we'd get better performance out of what power we do have. As it stands, all this great computing power we have now is being completely squandered, and that's kinda tragic. I mean, listen to yourselves: You're advising this guy to get more than 256 RAM, and a >2GHZ processor to run a fucking MUSIC PLAYER? My God!
catachresistant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 17:44   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, but the point you seem to be missing is that it DOES run fast on many user's machines, including all the people who've replied here, and me.

It opens in about 3 seconds with Winamp Modern skin, and instantly (less than 1 second) with any classic skin. Sure, I've got a few extra plugins installed, but not many, and I unchecked all of MusicMagic, and pmp_p4s & pmp_ipod in the installer options, and tweaked a few settings (see 'Like The Wind' link above)...

and I don't have any performance issues with Winamp whatsoever.

It certainly opens/runs faster than any of WMP, iTunes, QT, Real, MusicMatch, QCD, fb2k & songbird all put together (sorry, never heard of MusikCube, but it looks fugly to me, heh).

(Athlon XP 2400+, 1Gb RAM, WinXP)

It also runs pretty fast on my 2nd pc, an old 450MHz p3 w/ Win98SE. Though yeah, I use classic skins only on that one, and it opens/runs even quicker than old 2.x used to (ie. instantly & flawless). However, I also unchecked a few other features/plugins in the installer, including Sonic Burning Engine.
Old 9th March 2006, 18:08   #15
catachresistant

I get roughly the same performance you do on my 1800+ Athlon XP.
I just think telling someone to upgrade their computer when they're complaining about relative speed (in comparison to another, undeniably quicker application) is a little misguided.

I think the last two versions of Winamp5 have gone a long way to rectifying qualms I have about its speed (in modern skin, it loads twice as fast as it used to), but it's still slower than I'd like. I don't think it's going to get any faster because Winamp is so complex, quite a lot more complex than MusikCube, especially with the way its modern skinning engine is setup. Which is fair enough, it'd be unreasonable for me to expect the impossible.
But now that you guys have sorted out gapless playback, the number one thing on my wishlist is speed, technically impossible though that may be.
I guess maybe "slow" is a matter of perspective. You're happy with three seconds. I'm not. I told you. I'm an impatient bastard. So's the guy that started this thread, probably.

Edit - on my machine, at least, Windows Media Player starts instantly. Media Player Classic takes a second longer. I think this is probably an unfair comparison, though, considering Microsoft's practices means Media Player is probably preloaded on XP boot or something. Wouldn't surprise me.
catachresistant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 18:14   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, but if you want it to open instantly then you use a classic skin, yes?
At least you have the option.
If you want to use a modern skin, then yes, it takes a couple of seconds extra for it to load.
Besides... what do you keep closing it for anyway? ;-)
Old 9th March 2006, 18:39   #17
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Winamp can close?!