Old 27th February 2014, 16:56   #1
Globe199

Winamp history auto-backup and history overhaul

A while back something weird happened and Winamp crashed on one of my machines. This is extremely rare; it almost never crashes. Well, in the process of crashing, it completely hosed the history. Just zeroed it out. I had a backup from about six months prior, so I restored that, but lost everything in the interim.

Firefox automatically backs up bookmarks. I wonder if Winamp could do something similar, say, once a week. Maybe make an auto-backup of the history and give it a date in the filename.

The other thing I thought of is that the history isn't as comprehensive as it maybe could be. It keeps track of the last time a file was played, and its playcount, but the date is overwritten the next time that file is played. Essentially, you can't go back and look at each time that file was played. I realize that maybe just a few people would want this feature, but I think it might be useful.

Thoughts?
Globe199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 17:05   #2
DrO

it's been mentioned before and was looked at in the lead up to the 5.66x release but was not done as doing it meant making a breaking change for the history handling (i.e. cannot easily down-grade once done unless maintaining duplicate history dbs) as the filepath is the unique value used to track things by.

as you're not the only one to see the usefulness of it (there's times where i've wanted to see when i played a file - hence why i had looked into it for the 5.66x release when it looked like there weren't going to be any more updates).

looking more at something you mention, if Winamp does crash, it really shouldn't be zeroing out files and things were done for most of the settings files between 5.64-5.66x to improve file integrity and backup as well as not re-saving files just for the sake of it, but time meant that not all files (mainly looking at the history and local library db) do not have a backup file generated on the last good save. so my question is what version of Winamp did this happen with for you?
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 17:28   #3
Globe199

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's been mentioned before and was looked at in the lead up to the 5.66x release but was not done as doing it meant making a breaking change for the history handling (i.e. cannot easily down-grade once done unless maintaining duplicate history dbs) as the filepath is the unique value used to track things by.

as you're not the only one to see the usefulness of it (there's times where i've wanted to see when i played a file - hence why i had looked into it for the 5.66x release when it looked like there weren't going to be any more updates).

looking more at something you mention, if Winamp does crash, it really shouldn't be zeroing out files and things were done for most of the settings files between 5.64-5.66x to improve file integrity and backup as well as not re-saving files just for the sake of it, but time meant that not all files (mainly looking at the history and local library db) do not have a backup file generated on the last good save. so my question is what version of Winamp did this happen with for you?
I don't recall what version it was, because it was right around the big nuking of Winamp in late November, and I upgraded to 5.666 around the time, but I'm not sure exactly when.

What about doing auto-backups of recent.dat and recent.idx? Maybe just have it make a copy of each, i.e., recent.dat.20140227.
Globe199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 21:35   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
What about doing auto-backups of recent.dat and recent.idx? Maybe just have it make a copy of each, i.e., recent.dat.20140227.
at it's simplest then that is what would have been done, but aspects in relation to other Winamp sessions, API requests to save the db (history or local) mean that it needs a bit more than just blindly making a copy to ensure it's not leaving corrupt copies. i would have liked to have done that for the 5.66x release but wasn't able to. will just have to see what happens in coming Winamp desktop releases.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:17   #5
sensei321

Somewhat related, so I think it should fit this thread.

Something that really annoy me a lot is that if Winamp in not closed correctly (computer or program crash) all listening progress is lost. Winamp just reverts back to the state it had the last time I ran winamp. If I'm really unlucky I end up loosing several hours, or even days of playback, playcounts and dates for a lot of the tracks (as I tend to let my computer and winamp run). I really wish Winamp updated the library statistics continually, not just on exit.
sensei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 09:44   #6
DrO

that's not true as long as you're using the current Winamp release. as it (and 5.65, possibly 5.64 - i can't remember when my patches made it into which release) will attempt to save the history and local library changes to disk every few hours instead of just waiting for a valid exit. as well as trying to only save changes when a real change has been made and not blindly saving everything on exit (which otherwise causes a slower shutdown and if happening when the OS is shutting down, that would lead to a greater chance of data loss than what you've posted about i.e. the whole library could be nuked in some cases).

additionally you can use my autoplay plug-in (http://winampplugins.co.uk/timerestore.html) to force Winamp to save its settings (second tab, via the playback state and all settings option in the dropdown), just don't set it too soon or it will cause Winamp to lag! so via ways (where the plug-in is just forcing internal save messages), it is possible to have Winamp preserve its settings as best as can be done with its current design.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:45   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DrO,

I agree that the upgrades for saving and maintaining history, local library changes, playlists, and most other settings work very well. Your plug-in adds an additional method.

But (a gentle reminder), the upgrade didn't make it to the Recently Played smartview. Unless I switch to that view (and then to something else) after starting a Winamp session, it is not updated with the files I play.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 11:47   #8
DrO

i've not forgotten about that, is just somewhat buried in my todo list.
Old 8th April 2014, 16:26   #9
sensei321

I was not aware that it had changed. I am happy to hear it as been looked at! I'll check out the plugin, thanks!

I would still suggest that a future version of Winamp at a minimum saves the progress at playlist end, even if the player is not closed.
sensei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:31   #10
DrO

a lot of aspects people didn't like / wanted were worked on as part of the 5.64-5.66x releases so there's a lot of changes which most won't know about but often improves the Winamp experience.

with the playlist idea, it would depend a lot on how long the playlist is as that wouldn't work too well i suspect for a number of cases, hence the couple of hours auto-saving which was implemented is a better fit imho.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:26   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I'm fine with every few hours myself, but is the setting exposed in the ini files so a user could adjust it if they wanted? seems reasonable.

i hope you devs are enjoying the time off to regroup and rethink your long term strategy, i think you all needed the break.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 21:42   #12
DrO

it's not exposed from what i remember and my plug-in is basically the UI element to control it as needed for the time being (as i'm somewhat moving against just adding options for the sake of it).

time-off was just on 3 weeks at the start of January and then back into the melting pot (especially with the rapid re-build of the SHOUTcast backend).
Old 8th April 2014, 22:31   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ah yes, I forgot about SC. well, as far as winamp goes, I hope several weeks at least are given to broad strategic thinking, as opposed to code writing. I think winamp and devs would benefit from a long step back. but we are all very glad winamp continues!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 22:56   #14
DrO

code has been being written by the current dev for a while now as somethings need to be researched and re-implemented irrespective of other areas that need to be decided on.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist