Old 30th August 2009, 11:58   #41
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
If you have to thrash your head back and forth to make it sound good it must suck quite a bit.
still better than techno where you need to be on drugs to enjoy it...
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 16:53   #42
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 00:18   #43
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Metal needs no EQ.
Just turn everything ALL THE WAY UP AND ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

\m/
Nice to see you back.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 01:48   #44
monsoonradio

Send a message via Yahoo to monsoonradio
I had discovered this the hard way but fortunatly only a few days later. A friend came over and messed with my eq and sure it sounded GREAT thru my system. Then I went to his house and it sounded like I was streaming my playlist thru a TUBE!
Basicly eq preference is to each their own but my personal advice. TURN THE EQ OFF! Let the original sound from the eq come out as is. Considering I play Metal mixed with rock/thrash etc.. so only one eq setting for me is not in the question.
Best advice turn it off!
monsoonradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 09:09   #45
rockouthippie
Banned

You might want to use the EQ to subtly adjust for speakers that don't have linear frequency response and for room acoustics. The poor mans way to do that is to make the speakers sound the same as a set of decent headphones you have plugged in. Rooms that have a lot of glass, formica and reflective surfaces tend to "ring" with treble. Conversely, rooms with no glass and a lot of absorptive wall coverings tend to deaden treble.

I personally like treble turned up a bit on the left because I am a little deaf to high frequencies in my left ear. Your EQ can usually go to 12 or 16 db difference. You'll find the sweet spot within 3 or 4db of flat. 4db is a whole lot of difference. It won't matter much what style of music you listen to after that, because the recording engineer has already taken the matter into consideration.

If you are playing cassette tapes you might want to turn down 400hz a few db. Because of tape technology, 400hz finds itself with a lot of distortion.

I like to run piezo tweeters because they are indestructible, but I think the treble could be described as harsh. Cutting the treble a db or 2 mellows them out.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 04:41   #46
alphonsebelly

Recently I went to iTunes, Windows Media Player. The sound is very different, and I feel like Im getting the same I was careful to get in WMP. Can anyone recommend any good manual presets for me? Pretty much just listening to Heavy Metal, and I do not like too low. I want to hear the guitar.
alphonsebelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 05:12   #47
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
I think that it is better to experiment, and tweak the settings yourself, since everyone has differnet speaker and soundcard rigs.
This still holds very true, and you could have easily found this answer on the first page of this thread.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 06:28   #48
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, but people I know that experiment without any idea of what they are doing usually come up with the most oddball eq settings, overdrive their amp etc.

Red vu meters are bad. 4 db is a lot. Within those limitations you can experiment.

Also amplifiers suffer from gain/bandwidth product. Radical eq settings will cause the bandwidth of the signal to be higher. Therefore the power level will have to be lower. Also eq settings can damage speakers. Push tweeters too hard with an eq. You'll hear that last "pop" and you'll be doing speaker surgery. Popping woofers is a little harder. They usually don't burn out. They just sound crappy and rattle.

In the old days before they invented the wheel, you'd use an EQ for doing audio compansion in tapes and removing scratches from record albums and for inconsistencies in the frequency response of record albums.

If you are using an EQ in software, make sure you don't rail the sound card. Red is bad.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 21:59   #49
lonelytreestump

What Works For Me

I have 1 setting for an alienware and two different HPs. I use this setting:
31: 12
62: 12
125: 9
250: 7
500: 4
1k: 2
2k: 2
4k: 4
8k: 6
16: 8
This is in my preference, good bass and vocals clear. also balancing treble.
I have bass set to 100, treble set to 75, and center space and focus set to 100
lonelytreestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 22:02   #50
lonelytreestump

Quote:
Originally Posted by P$ycHo™ View Post
still better than techno where you need to be on drugs to enjoy it...
shots have been fired
lonelytreestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions