Old 22nd October 2003, 17:25   #401
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I dig it. It hasn't crashed yet, and it plays my pr0n well.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Old 22nd October 2003, 18:36   #402
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Yeah I just loaded up the main winamp3 skin from the download on the main site page and it doesnt have all the features working but the skin doesnt cause crashing.

the probe and corneramp skin causes winamp5 to crash though and those are some i like.

I'm Back?
Old 22nd October 2003, 20:07   #403
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Something cool I just discovered. I recently got one of those fancy "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite" packages with a keyboard and mouse. The keyboard has all those media buttons which I would have assumed would only work with WMP, but what do you know, it works with WA5 too! Sorry if this is common knowledge or old news, I've never had a keyboard with those kinds of buttons before and I thought that was pretty exciting.
Old 22nd October 2003, 21:06   #404
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
it works in 2 and 5 but 3 u had to download support

anyway ah i am having a problem in 5 whare my playlist is there but the content of the playlist is not, if i add stuff to said foowy playlist it goes to whare ever the rest of the play list content went, my deduction is that wa5 is having trouble with wa3 skins and there multi playlist function which is not there in wa5 so they just disapear if i press play the songs i cant see still play and if i change to a wa2 skin its fine

PS. gee i never noticed i had lots of posts ^_^
Old 22nd October 2003, 22:34   #405
SLASHproduction

Re: Data MP3 Burning

Quote:
Originally posted by retchless
I've noticed that Winamp 5 only has support for burning Music CDs. I have an MP3 CD player and buying Winamp 5 Pro would be SOOO worth it if I could burn winamp playlists to Mp3 Data CDs. Any chance of this happening before release time or in the near future? If not, is there any program that will take an m3u file and burn its contents to a Data CD??
Ummm....couldn't you just use your default burning software?
Old 22nd October 2003, 23:17   #406
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@auhsor
Yes. See here

@krynis
Known problem. Fixed in Beta2. See here

@ whiteflip
Yeah, some 3rd-party freeform skins are borked.
Remember, some of them crashed winamp3 as well.
Authors will need to update them, and I'm sure they will (...gulp!)
I'll go get the two you mentioned & see if they crash in Beta2...

@amano
Yup, those same problems exist with #488 default.wal
(#1 & #2 anyway, can't reproduce #3)
Also, with wa3 default.wal, the mouse scrollwheel won't work for me in playlist window. It controls main window volume instead (with other skins, you just need to click in playlist first, but this doesn't work with wa3 default.wal)
[edit] aah, scrollwheel is working again in latest internal build of beta2 [/edit]

See attachment for Winamp3 #488 default.wal
(right click -> save target as -> save to winamp\skins dir)
Attached Files
File Type: wal wa3_default.wal (82.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 23rd October 2003, 01:09   #407
Reddogg

Winamp 5.0 Beta 1 next trash ?
Old 23rd October 2003, 01:27   #408
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Pardon?
Old 23rd October 2003, 01:40   #409
auhsor

Thanks DJ Egg, theres just too many threads all over the place for this beta.
Old 23rd October 2003, 02:15   #410
DITMan

It took me nearly 3 hours...

... reading 11 pages of posts + all 'interesting' (for me) links to other forums...

... and Winamp5 has been working all that time flawlessly and with no performance hit on the other software I have running (eMule, BlackIce, F-Secure, MSN Messenger, QKeys, IExplorer...)

This beta, as stated in the sonique forum could be a final... I hope that they optimize the memory usage (if possible, as usual ) and the 'about' animation... I don't like it :P :P

Simply G·R·E·A·T !!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 23rd October 2003, 03:36   #411
lwells

Quote:
Originally posted by lwells
I also see that in_mp3 now reads some 2.x tag elements. While I asked this in wishlist, I may as well ask it here: is in_mp3 able to access all 2.4 tag elements, or just the ones listed? If all, is there some documentation on how to access the various attributes, and if no, are there any plans to expand in_mp3's 2.x tag reading abilities (pretty please )?[/B]
Any ideas moderators / developers?

Tell you what. I was thinking of grabbing a WA5Pro lisence, but I figure that probably lines AOL's pockets more than Nullsofts. If whatever dev is responsible for the in_mp3 and ID3 tag reading would be kind enough to implement the whole 2.4 spec., I would happely buy them a gift of some sort.

Seriously.. If there is a coding book you need, or a gizmo, or even a slab of beer you want, just let me know

LW.
Old 23rd October 2003, 04:20   #412
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
This maybe should be in buglist/wishlist but after reading all 11 pages of this thread and skimming through the links DJEgg provided I’m not sure I want to read all the posts on this subject. I normally use the search feature to find the info I am looking for but for some reason (vb problem?) you can’t search the forum for “Winamp 5”, it won’t recognize the “5”, it doesn’t have enough characters. Maybe someone should have thought about that when they were discussing names.
For me the scrollwheel problem has only happened a couple of times in the PLedit window, but simply closing the PL window and reopening it has fixed the scrollwheel. It’s the same thing I used to have to do with the ML window in 2.91 every once in a while. I am using a MS Intellimouse with Intellipoint 5.0.
Load times for a 4700 file folder or playlist in the PLedit window take a little longer than 2.91 but not the 2-5 minutes that Winamp3 took, if that’s any indication of what it would require to get a right click enqueue I would rather do without the right click enqueue function from the WA3 PLedit (although I do miss the enqueue function, I use the ML to create playlist’s on the fly most of the time anyway so it isn’t that big of a deal for me).
Kinda disappointed there is no VBR option for ripping. I am still using mp3 encoding for the CD’s I’m ripping because of limited support for ogg. And having already ripped and tagged 40% of my CD collection and all of my albums into mp3, I would rather not start over with a new format, either ogg or aac. I haven’t heard enough of a difference between a min 192kbps VBR .mp3 or .ogg file on commercially recorded music to switch.
The one problem I have had consistently is it freezes every time I try to load the Internet TV list in media library. The Internet radio list takes a little while to load but hasn’t frozen Winamp yet.
I haven’t tried using any third party skins, the only ones I have used in the past are MMD3, CornerAmp, and a Winamp 0.2 skin Mr. Jones made a while back. I have read of problems in the first two so I figure the preinstalled skins will do just fine until the first final Winamp 5 release comes out.
Other than that it has worked flawlessly for me. As a matter of fact for the last week or so I was using 2.91 I was having a problem with Winamp somehow using up all my ram and CPU after four hours or so of continuous use. Winamp 5 seems to have cleared that up. I haven’t bothered to check how much of my system resources it is using so far, I usually don’t care as long as I’m not having other problems.
Old 23rd October 2003, 07:01   #413
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
thanks for the info
Old 23rd October 2003, 07:27   #414
KriLL3

is the sidecar being sorted? that is one feature i cannot li´ve without =\
Old 23rd October 2003, 07:33   #415
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@lwells
Winamp currently supports ID3v2.3 tags, not 2.4
People have been asking for 2.4 support since waaaay back

@KriLL3
The sidecar has never been in Winamp.
Winamp 5.0 is the upgrade from Winamp 2.x
(built on the same win32 engine, with added support/workarounds/hacks for some of winamp3's features)
Winamp3 is a different/separate product/player, built from scratch on the wasabi engine.

Adding the sidecar would break the entire winamp classic skins database, thus rendering thousands of skins useless.

It could be implemented if there was a way to make classic skins ignore it, so only modern skins could utilize it (as all 3rd-party wal skins currently support it).
Just like enqueue/dequeue, it's a tricky one . . .

We shall see . . .

@m0e
vbr is supported
In the "Mode" drop-down menu, there's VBR new/old/default/mtrh & ABR

Or is that disabled in the unregistered version?
Old 23rd October 2003, 08:19   #416
lwells

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@lwells
Winamp currently supports ID3v2.3 tags, not 2.4
People have been asking for 2.4 support since waaaay back
Yes, I know. I think its only fair that if a dev is prepared to waste some time coding a feature that is of particular interest to me (as my whole collection uses 2.4 tags), I would be happy to say thanks with a gifty.

Offers open..

LW.
Old 23rd October 2003, 09:48   #417
taylormemer
made his slipknot mask in woodwork class
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to taylormemer Send a message via AIM to taylormemer Send a message via Yahoo to taylormemer
I downloaded it. It works verny nice for me except for a taskbar bug that comes uo every WinAmp version I download, but I can fix that easily

DeviantART|¤¤|DS-Lair|¤¤|Dissectional|¤¤|Pearl Drums|¤¤|Viralsound|¤¤|PabUK
Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, divided we fall.My PLAYLIST

MSN: taylor.jake@hotmail.com
Old 23rd October 2003, 12:37   #418
kiilu
Major Dude

will they release the final version straight away or will there be more betas?
Old 23rd October 2003, 13:03   #419
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
@DJEgg the ver 5.0 beta I DL/ed and am running has no “mode” dropdown menu. In Preferences/CD Ripping/Encoder there’s a drop down menu labeled “Encoding Format” which gives you a choice of .wav, .aac, or mp3, with mp3 not really being a choice. It just opens a popup prompt to upgrade to a currently nonexistent Winamp Pro version. Below that is another pane that changes depending on the choice you made above. But neither format mentions a choice for VBR.
Old 23rd October 2003, 13:15   #420
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by kiilu
will they release the final version straight away or will there be more betas?
more betas

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 23rd October 2003, 14:05   #421
KriLL3

Quote:
The sidecar has never been in Winamp.
Winamp 5.0 is the upgrade from Winamp 2.x
(built on the same win32 engine, with added support/workarounds/hacks for some of winamp3's features)
Winamp3 is a different/separate product/player, built from scratch on the wasabi engine.

Adding the sidecar would break the entire winamp classic skins database, thus rendering thousands of skins useless.
Why not make it optional or dissable it in classic skin mode? shoudn't be so hard i think...
Old 23rd October 2003, 14:12   #422
sidd
Major Dude

this was mentioned unclearly before, and so, was not answered.

Could we, pre chance,see a play count feature for each song in the media library? (how many times you have played each track)
Old 23rd October 2003, 15:01   #423
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
In the "Mode" drop-down menu, there's VBR new/old/default/mtrh & ABR

Or is that disabled in the unregistered version?
MP3 encoding is disabled.
If I try to select it, I get a Winamp Pro Feature popup box.
When I close it, the encoder reverts back to whatever was selected
before MP3 (.WAV, AAC, or Ogg)

Last edited by papadoc; 23rd October 2003 at 15:30.
Old 23rd October 2003, 22:53   #424
Cruzn15

Do the old plugins work? Is there a new list of plugins? What?
Old 24th October 2003, 02:16   #425
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Winamp 5 is essentially Winamp 2 + freeform skinning, so all Winamp 2 plugins work. Winamp3 plugins (components) don't.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 24th October 2003, 05:02   #426
Rellik
Major Dude

actually some WA2 plugins will be broken thus requiring an update, but most should work fine.

Remember, Winamp5 is beta, so not everything will work properly yet.
Old 24th October 2003, 08:44   #427
Oni-Dracula

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Winamp 5 is essentially Winamp 2 + freeform skinning, so all Winamp 2 plugins work. Winamp3 plugins (components) don't.
Winamp5 = Winamp2 with MORE plugins
Old 24th October 2003, 10:10   #428
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Wow DJ Egg you are super awesome cool. Have a picture

I'm Back?
Old 24th October 2003, 11:15   #429
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Err, no plugins are broken by Winamp 5 as far as I know. However it supports Media Library plugins like Winamp 2.9x did.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 24th October 2003, 11:58   #430
will

More late breaking news: When using a modern skin winamp 5 DOES support its own varity of .wac files (not compatable with the winamp3 wacs AFAIK, but all the same, I bet porting will be possible once the SDK is out).

Old 24th October 2003, 12:06   #431
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Porting won't be possible in the majority of cases. It's a hack.

Old 24th October 2003, 14:25   #432
Cimmo

Send a message via ICQ to Cimmo
Why there are no open forums about Winamp 5 development? There are still WA2 and 3 but nothing about 5!
Old 24th October 2003, 14:30   #433
will

Quote:
Originally posted by Cimmo
Why there are no open forums about Winamp 5 development? There are still WA2 and 3 but nothing about 5!
Use the winamp 2 forums

Old 24th October 2003, 16:07   #434
amano
Major Dude

hmm. what are skin proprietary wacs?

I heard that the crossfading in WA3 was done with a wac, but someone told (will?) that they now made the button toggle the settings of out_ds.dll.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 24th October 2003, 17:02   #435
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Err, no plugins are broken by Winamp 5 as far as I know. However it supports Media Library plugins like Winamp 2.9x did.
Mostly, it's plugins that rely on the classic skin for operation, and some other special cases too

One of the most recent examples I can think of is the xdock plugin, it uses on the clasic skin for docking on the screen. I have found a workaround however.

Apparently, the Brain plugin doesn't work either.

Like I said, any upgrade will break a few plugins, until the authors of those plugins update and fix them.

[edit by Gonzo]Fixed the xdock link[/edit]
Old 24th October 2003, 19:35   #436
Agent007

hi all,

Firstly CONGRATS to the Nullsoft Team for their fantastic work on WINAMP 5..I've just tried it out and IT ROCKS!!! The default skin is beautiful and its obvious that u guys have put in a lot of time and effort..

Btw, will the burning feature be able to create mp3 CD's in future? Also, will over-burning support be added?

thanks...
Old 24th October 2003, 20:58   #437
THEMIXTURE

Hey out there been reading all of this and Winamp 5 sounds like it ROCKS 2 things first were can I get a copy BEEN LOOKING LOL LOL. Also not shure but does it support the shoutcast DSP?????

Thanks Alot
Dj Clash
Old 24th October 2003, 23:04   #438
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by lwells
Yes, I know. I think its only fair that if a dev is prepared to waste some time coding a feature that is of particular interest to me (as my whole collection uses 2.4 tags), I would be happy to say thanks with a gifty.

Offers open..

LW.
Are you sure you can afford several days of a good software developer's time? I'm afraid it might cost you a bit more than just a few beers
Would anyone at Nullsoft tell us what the going rate for consultancy is right now? I'd guess at least $1000 per day - and $5k for Justin
Old 25th October 2003, 01:10   #439
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally edited by Gonzo
Apparently, the Brain plugin doesn't work either.

[edit by Gonzo]Fixed the xdock link[/edit]
Thanks Gonzo, I was in a bit of a hurry when i posted that and I didn't check my links.
Old 25th October 2003, 14:24   #440
apollos
Forum King

[annoying question asked by many many people]
Any idea if and when Beta 2 is going to be publically released?
[/annoying question asked by many many people]

*hides*
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions