Old 14th June 2001, 18:09   #1
rKENTh

I am having a strange problem with the CD auto start ! I have read many posts reporting similar probs. and tried any fix relevant and so far no luck !! My problem is when I insert a CD Winamp starts and loads the CD in the playlist but seems to list as many entries as the CD contains, up to 130. It appears it lists as many files as are on the CD. This is with any audio CD !When you 'Explore' an audio CD you find 2 folders, 1 for mono and stereo with 8bit, 16 bit, etc. sub folders and files in each folder ! Winamp seems to be listing them all and this seems to effect the CDDB support. Also when auto starting in that fashion it doesn't play the files ,the playback is all choppy, and seems to hang. This happens with the cdReader plug-in and the stock plug-in !! However if I manually start Winamp and then go to play, Audio D:\ , it loads the CD properly and queries CDDB and all is well !!! Also my Windows CD player is working fine ! I've spent hours trying to figure this out, double checked all plug-in settings, auto start settings , multimedia settings,file associations, re-installed 3 different versions of Winamp, deleted the 'cdplayer.ini', every and anything I can think of. It appears it's a Winamp problem or a screwey registry entry. I really want to use the auto start with Winamp for my audio CD's ! Any thoughts and/or suggestions ? Thank
You !!!!!

rKENTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2001, 01:22   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It's nothing to do with Winamp.
You've installed some other program which has replaced your default CDFS.VXD with a modified version that supports this function.
CDFS.VXD is one of the core Windows AudioCD drivers and is usually found in either the System dir, or more commonly in:
C:\Windows\System\IOSUBSYS

A while ago, we also discovered that a particular 3rd party Winamp plugin (cda2wav) was also guilty of replacing cdfs.vxd, without backing up the original version first

To resolve the problem, you'll need to extract the original version from your Windows setup cab files.

For more info, try this forum search

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2001, 03:23   #3
rKENTh

Oh Yes, Yes, Yes

THANK YOU so much whoever you are !!!! Voila, that was the problem,used 'system file checker' to extract cdfs.vxd from install disc, replaced 'cdfs.vxd' in both c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\isubsys, rebooted, opened up Winamp and re-activated '**associate with audio CD ' and all is well again. THANK YOU a lot !!!!! This has been driving me nuts !! I fear this very problem is the source of a lot of the CD problem threads out there, any way to get the word out on this one ? I had installed and subsequently removed J.Rivers-Media Jukebox 7.x and I'm pretty sure that's what did it after reviewing the dates. I'll bet other progs. are causing this kind of a problem as well ! Again THANK YOU !!! -- Kent Hough
rKENTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2002, 00:55   #4
Chandler

Hey, I've got this same problem, but cdfs.vxd still shows up in my system folder. What disk do I use to replace this and how do I go about doing it?

Thanks in advance.
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2002, 01:14   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You'll need to replace THAT version with the original version from the Windows setup cabs.

It depends on your Windows OS,
but in Win98 you can use System File Checker (sfc.exe) to extract the original cdfs.vxd, thus overwriting the new modified version in your System dir.

Start -> Run -> SFC
Checkmark "Extract one file from installation disk"
Type in or Browse to CDFS.VXD (use full path & filename)

btw, is CDFS.VXD in the root of the System dir, or is it in the System\IOSUBSYS sub-dir?

Otherwise, search the CAB files on your Windows Setup CD-ROM
Locate and extract CDFS.VXD
Copy to the System (or IOSUBSYS) dir,
thus overwriting the other (modified) version of the file.

I'm sure I explained all this already above... let me look again
Old 15th May 2002, 02:00   #6
Chandler

It's in System\IOSUBSYS sub-dir. I still use Windows 95. Will that make a difference?
Old 15th May 2002, 11:45   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No, that's okay, in fact that's the exact info I needed...
Well, almost... I could've also done with knowing whether you have a Win95 SetUp CD-ROM Disc, or if the Win95 setup CAB Files are pre-installed somewhere on your Hard Drive, in say C:\Windows\Options\CABS

cdfs.vxd is in either/both of:
win95_03.cab and win95_04.cab
If you've got a CD, then they're in the D:\Win95\ dir
(where D:\ is your CD-ROM Drive letter)

Hopefully, you've got a program which reads .CAB Files.
If not, then I can recommend a couple for you:

Archive Peek
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7017/

PowerArchiver 6.11
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program...&ProgramID=957

If you need further instructions:
1) Tell me which program you're using (PowerArchiver, ArchivePeek, other)
2) Tell me where your Win95 setup CABS are located (CD-ROM or Hard Drive)
Old 15th May 2002, 18:51   #8
Chandler

That did the trick! Thank you very much for talking me through it.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support