Old 28th June 2001, 01:15   #1
coelecanth

Hi All,

After finding out that this problem didn't just affect me, I tried all the solutions offered up to the W2k Popping problem on this board.

None of them worked, however.

Just for the heck of it, I disabled my onboard NIC in the BIOS and tried everything out. Lo and Behold, no more pops. So I installed a new NIC on the PCI bus and tried it, still no pops.

I think I've finally beaten it down.

Oh, since this is my first post here, I'm Giz, how's everyone doing? Nice to meet ya.

Giz.
coelecanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2001, 04:57   #2
tellito

What? No more crackles?

I would like to hear exactly what you are talking about. Could you please explain. I have trouble with playing CD's. It didn't work with CDreader plugin, either on my CDRom B4, or on my new DVD player. All other files and streams play perfectly but the aforementioned players stop and hang after about 2 seconds. What have I missed?
thanks...tellito
tellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2001, 21:40   #3
peterdino

Can you tell me where you found the W2k board that tells you how to get rid of the popping sounds? And also what does NIC stand for and what is it. Thanks for your help.
Peter
peterdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2001, 22:30   #4
Slogra

WOW!!! Not even when there's a lot of harddisk activity?
Slogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2001, 23:40   #5
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
A NIC is another word for a networking adaptor. That's a usual networking card, basically .

Aw, I suck, I don't know exactly what NIC means. My guess would be NetworkInterfaceCard? Eh, I don't know .

By the way, Windows 2000 unfortunately has pretty crappy wave output support. Moreover, many soundcard drivers for Win2k are badly coded (*cough* SB Live! *cough*).

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2001, 02:18   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Not a bad guess Budgie. That's exactly what NIC stands for.
Network Interface Card.
Though it can also stand for: Network Information Center (eg. an organization that provides information services to the users of a network). But in this case, it's definitely the former, not the latter.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand . . .

This thread is actually one of the links in the
"RE: Skipping / freezing / clicking & popping during playback" section of:
TSGH -> Useful Links

Plenty more relevant links there.

Also check the 2nd post in the thread for links to Windows tech support sites.

However, like Budgie says, 99 times out of a 100, clicking & popping & skipping etc is caused by bad soundcard drivers, or IRQ conflicts where the soundcard is sharing the same Interrupt Request as another conflicting item of hardware, such as the videocard or internet/network adapter.

Of course, full relevant sys specs always help in cases like this.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2001, 21:24   #7
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Aww yay, not a bad guess indeed .

An on-board NIC should not cause pops, crackling and other audio artifacts at all. Well, generally, the more devices are installed, no matter if on-board or seperately as a card, the more probable it is that crackling, static and other artifacts can appear in audio, caused by electromagnetical turbulences (uh ).

If you just can't get rid of the crackling, try moving your soundcard to another slot, as far away as possible from other devices. I would put it in the last slot at the bottom of the available slots .

If any resource conflicts are present, try resolving them by assigning different resources / IRQs / DMA channels to each piece of hardware. Check Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager for existing conflicts. Shared resources, such as IRQs, usually don't hurt in conjunction with modern hardware, but generally, it's better if each device that requires an IRQ, has its own, dedicated IRQ.

If your soundcard shares an IRQ with another device (e.g. networking adaptor), try resolving it by assigning different IRQs to each device. If Windows does not allow you to change IRQs, then you will either have to reserve the IRQ in your BIOS setup, or try move one of the cards that share an IRQ with eachother into another slot.

Please post full system specs .

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support