Old 16th August 2014, 11:06   #1
Satuim

So how much "AOL Stuff" has to be removed.

Not an attack or anything. But what are the AOL "features" that need to be removed.

AOL/PBS Radio?

Hey User! Are you using the latest update w/ The latest patches?
Just check, It won't take too long!

Download v5.666 build 3516
Download JTFE and in_mp3.dll Updates
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 20:18   #2
DrO

that stuff hasn't been in Winamp for ages (and leaving protocol support is not an issue).

everything Gracenote and no longer licensed needs to be replaced - that is the simple answer as the list of things keeps changing (as well as any code re-working, etc that needs to be done to improve / fix things for new / replacement features - most of which will never be understood and if i do it correctly will likely not even be noticed).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 10:47   #3
Satuim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that stuff hasn't been in Winamp for ages (and leaving protocol support is not an issue).

everything Gracenote and no longer licensed needs to be replaced - that is the simple answer as the list of things keeps changing (as well as any code re-working, etc that needs to be done to improve / fix things for new / replacement features - most of which will never be understood and if i do it correctly will likely not even be noticed).
I though you said something about AOL. features, or stuff.
You can't call it a feature if AOL never did anything

Hey User! Are you using the latest update w/ The latest patches?
Just check, It won't take too long!

Download v5.666 build 3516
Download JTFE and in_mp3.dll Updates
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 15:45   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Features (mostly 3rd-party) that were licensed by AOL, where said license is no longer valid (as it was licensed to AOL not Radionomy)

Gracenote: CDDB, Auto-Tag, Playlist Generator
Sonic CD Burning/Ripping Engine
Fraunhofer MP3 & AAC Decoders
Microsoft WMA/DRM decoding
Winamp Pro: MP4/H.264 decoding
Online Services

and "replaced", not removed....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 18:54   #5
DrO

AOL stuff covered a number of things though was mainly things licensed to them (as noted above) but there there are / were things specific to internal usage which also need to be removed / replaced and I went vague on purpose since in the last 6 months that list has changed a number of times and still is in flux, hence no real specifics and a wandering release schedule.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:27   #6
Hanschke

so why not the licencse was made to the trade "winamp". much easier for the owner of the trade not to change all things
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:28   #7
DrO

because that's just not how it works especially for decade+ old agreements. and when we want to make Winamp free for all to use and not have the free vs pro aspect, things need to be re-done and re-negotiated.

plus it's not like you still cannot play things with what you've already got available to use. any sale was going to led to a seemingly long time between said sale and a new Winamp release... or the alternative was no sale, no new release and a whole bag of apathy from developers not wanting to do anything to help (and i'm calling out all of the ones as part of the save Winamp petition as i've seen absolutely nothing from those developers who'd signed up / promoted it).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion