Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th May 2002, 07:20   #1
Xeno

Yet another thread about skips in playback...

Okay, first let me assure you that I do not waste your time with the same tired old question lightly; I've tried every pertinent suggestion here as well as every other thing I can think of but had no luck. Let me give you my specs:
  • Winamp 2.8
  • Windows XP Professional
  • AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1200@1352 (completely stable)
  • Maxi Sound Muse audio card
  • Crucial 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
  • Abit KT7-RAID mobo
  • ATI Radeon 7200
  • Western Digital 30 GB ATA 100 HD
  • Teac 24/10/40 CD-RW
  • (Don't remember brand - something generic) ATAPI 52X CDROM
  • 300 Watt AMD certified power supply
  • Linksys LNE100TX NIC
  • Scientific Atlanta cable modem
  • Internet Explorer 6.0
  • Latest drivers, BIOS's, firmware, etc. for everything
I'm sure you don't need all that, but better too much info than not enough. Anyway, my problem is identical to the problem that people before me have had. Winamp (and Media Player, Music Match, Real Jukebox, and ATI Multimedia Center for that matter) intermittently skips during playback. The problem is less pronounced during periods of inactivity (i.e. listening to music and nothing else) and increasingly worse in proportion to CPU activity.

My MP3 woes only began ocurring after I "upgraded" to XP Pro. I never experienced anything of this sort in 98SE. In fact, I used to marvel at how many programs I could run simultaneously and still have completely uninterrupted playback.
**Xeno takes a nostalgic moment**
In XP, however, I can't seem to get smooth playback no matter what I try.

Yesterday, I thought that I had the problem figured out. You see, I found out to my horror that my USB controller, NIC, video card, sound card, and RAID controller were all sharing the same IRQ. It turned out that ACPI had wreaked havoc on yet another victim's computer. After significant tribulations, I finally got the IRQ issue worked out. Here is my current configuration:
  • IRQ 0 System timer
  • IRQ 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
  • IRQ 3 RADEON 7200
  • IRQ 4 Communications Port
  • IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller
  • IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
  • IRQ 9 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
  • IRQ 10 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller
  • IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • IRQ 11 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
  • IRQ 13 Numeric data processor
  • IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel
  • IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel
Note: The USB controller being listed twice on IRQ 11 is NOT a typo. I don't know what's going on there...

To my relief, Quicktime 5.0 finally worked correctly after this. Before, it had been giving me BSOD's whenever I tried to play a video clip. Unfortunately, the mp3 situation remained unchanged.

Potentially helpful info:
Inability to correctly play mp3s is not the only quirk I'm having with XP that I didn't have with 98.
  • Whenever my CD Drives spin up, they become excessively loud. Apart from that (and the quirk mentioned below), they seem to function correctly though.
  • Occasionally, my CD burner will not respond when I press the eject button on the drive. The tray refuses to open. Sometimes I can circumvent this through Windows and sometimes I have to use a paper clip to manually pop the tray out.
  • When I boot my machine (cold and warm) windows loads pretty fast. It usually takes under 30 seconds for the desktop to appear. However, for approximately another 20 seconds after the desktop appears, I cannot access any of the buttons on the taskbar. When I position the cursor over it, I get an hourglass and all mouse clicks are seemingly disregarded. This is strange because when I have the cursor positioned over the desktop during this time, I get an arrow and can open files, etc. Wierd, no?
A friend of mine thinks that the CD-ROM problems indicate an insufficient or malfunctioning power supply. He says that 300 Watts is the bare minimum for an Athlon machine. I'm not sure I believe that. And in any event, could such a PS cause the aforementioned mp3 troubles?

You also may have noticed that my sound card is...marginal. It uses the crappy C-media stuff. Also, driver support from Guillemot has been crappy at best. This leads me to believe that there might be a driver problem. I'll write this again, however: everything was cool in 98.

It's rather obvious that this problem goes far deeper than Winamp. I built this computer myself and know it like the back of my hand...and yet I'm stumped with this. I'm at my wit's end here. Any help is appreciated.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support