Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd September 2009, 13:11   #161
TheSaw

Send a message via Yahoo to TheSaw
Thx, I've asked a polish friend of mine to translate, and added that line already, hope you don't mind :P

Winamp integration plug-in with Windows 7

If you like this plug-in, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake to work more on it?

TheSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:57   #162
psik0tik

updated lng :
Attached Files
File Type: rar french_win7shell.rar (2.3 KB, 304 views)
psik0tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:21   #163
TheSaw

Uploaded.

If you like this plug-in, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake to work more on it?

Old 23rd September 2009, 22:24   #164
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSaw
Thx, I've asked a polish friend of mine to translate, and added that line already, hope you don't mind :P
No problem. Most important, that it is translated.

I did some tests with player taskbar information, in few programs.
Winamp, Foobar2000 and AIMP. Here is a screenshot how it looks for now in other programs, comparing to your plugin (of course, it has my settings applied).
http://shup.com/Shup/219476/zestawieni.png

I really like Foobar ProgressBar. Could you add something similar (with option on/off of course). I like your plugin so much, because it is so configurable.

Regards,
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 01:08   #165
net-cruizer

Quote:
Originally posted by PepeSoft
No problem. Most important, that it is translated.

I did some tests with player taskbar information, in few programs.
Winamp, Foobar2000 and AIMP. Here is a screenshot how it looks for now in other programs, comparing to your plugin (of course, it has my settings applied).
http://shup.com/Shup/219476/zestawieni.png

I really like Foobar ProgressBar. Could you add something similar (with option on/off of course). I like your plugin so much, because it is so configurable.

Regards,
-Pawel
There already is a progress bar with this plugin for Winamp, which works and looks better than the one for Foobar.
What is the point or the progress bar being on the thumbnail, when it's already on the taskbar button, which you would see more than the thumbnail. Unless you mean that it can be used to seek right on the thumbnail. That could sort of be useful.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 02:41   #166
Dipso

The Saw: It was like this in both the 0.7, 0.82, 0.83 and now 0.84.

I did some more research though. And the actual cpu hit is not that big. Although there is a noticeable hit.

But more importantly it seems to slow the UI rendering of winamp down to a crawl. At least when using the new bento modern skin. (Title scrolling Vu meters get realy choppy) It also slows down Visualization rendering considerably. So my guess is that your code interferes with some UI related code for winamp it self. Does that make sense?

Sincerely
Dipso

EDIT:
I should of course mention that i am using the RC build still. it could of course be a matter of it being a bug in the RC, but i kinda doubt it as that would show the perfomance spike in other parts of the system and not the winamp.exe right?

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 02:48   #167
Chris000001

Maybe it's polling Winamp too often for info. Maybe you need some sort of sleep command between requests? (I don't program, so I can't really help.)
Chris000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 08:39   #168
TheSaw

PepeSoft I saw the progressbar of foobar, but as net-cruizer said, you can put the progressbar into the taskbar icon, it's more useful. It's not that hard to add though, just have to draw it there, which would interfere with the text drawing, etc :/

net-cruizer The seeking from that bar is pretty much impossible. (afaik)

Dipso I've uploaded a build with the timer deactivated. This should be the most CPU-intensive part of the plugin. Most features won't work without it, but at least try if this is causing the problem or not.

http://win7shell.googlecode.com/file...84_NOTIMER.exe

Chris000001 I'm polling data at 50ms interval, which shouldn't be a problem.

Old 24th September 2009, 11:33   #169
Mr.Henky

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Henky
Updated Slovak translation.
Attached Files
File Type: rar slovak_win7shell.rar (1.8 KB, 268 views)
Mr.Henky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:10   #170
Dipso

Nice, that seems to have killed it. No more slowdowns in the UI, and there is now no cpu hit from this thing at all.

The timer part seems to be the culprit then.

Maybe you can give some control of this to the user? Either let the user control the timer intervals or enable/disable it?

Old 24th September 2009, 16:02   #171
Pawel

Quote:
PepeSoft I saw the progressbar of foobar, but as net-cruizer said, you can put the progressbar into the taskbar icon, it's more useful. It's not that hard to add though, just have to draw it there, which would interfere with the text drawing, etc :/
So, there is no chance to add this? It could be placed over the buttons. It looks really nice. And, if you do option to display it or not, there will be no problem, am I right?
(I know there is a progressbar over the taskbar icon. I think thin line looks better.) But, ok, maybe in future
-Pawel
Old 24th September 2009, 17:06   #172
TheSaw

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
Nice, that seems to have killed it. No more slowdowns in the UI, and there is now no cpu hit from this thing at all.

The timer part seems to be the culprit then.

Maybe you can give some control of this to the user? Either let the user control the timer intervals or enable/disable it?
Well without the timer lots of functions will stop working, like progressbar / overlay icons, title removal, thumbnail update etc.

It would be better to find out what exactly in the timer is causing the slowdown, but since I can't test on my pc, it's kinda hard. Previously you said the thumbnail is causing the slowdown, but that doesn't have anything to do with the timer.... :/

PepeSoft idk, it's not that hard to do, but it would take 1 day for sure, to get the drawing right. Also, it would be drawn on the text, if the text is large...

Old 24th September 2009, 19:30   #173
Dipso

Yea, i know its weird, cause the thumbnail part is actually still working now, but i could only see the slowdown whenever i was hovering the mouse over the icon to show the thumbnail or when i used alt tab. Also, the problem disappeared when i disabled the "Enable custom Aero Peek thumbnail". ... again, realy weird.

To me it looks like there is some kind of "bleeding" going on here, where one part of the code has an effect on others. - Either that or the problem only shows when both functions are active. But like i said, it might also be that this is a problem with the RC or that its due to me running x64 bit win7.

Could anyone else that are experiencing this bug post their specs please? (OS ver. + x86 vs x64) also maybe what skins they are running and what plugins they have installed?

For the moment i will stick with using the version without timer, i think its better to have a good working Thumbnail with player controls than any of the stuff that is broken without the timer :P

EDIT:
SAW: Could it be possible to have some changes be "pushed" from WA to the plugin, rather then be polled via timer. I see that song changes, and changing of album art is unaffect by the removal of the timer, so could also play state be pushed to the plugin upon change? -Note, i have noe idea how the WA api works :P just brainstorming here.

Old 24th September 2009, 19:58   #174
Chris000001

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
Could anyone else that are experiencing this bug post their specs please? (OS ver. + x86 vs x64) also maybe what skins they are running and what plugins they have installed?
Win 7 (RTM) x64
q6600 3.0Ghz
4 Gb ddr2 1066
Nvidia 9600 GT

Modern or Bento Skin

I do have a few extra plug-ins as well.
Playlist file remover
Lite'n Winamp Preferences
MouseWheel Blocker
Mute Hotkey
SRS WOW! Processing for Winamp

edit:
I'm not sure how timers work in C, but I know when playing around with AutoHotKey, you have to cancel the timer after it fires otherwise it continues to fire. Maybe something like that is happening?
I have no idea if I'm actually being helpful

Last edited by Chris000001; 24th September 2009 at 20:21.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:37   #175
TheSaw

Dipso I have no idea about the WA api either, I just ask for information when the timer fires
Winamp has certain events, like playing a file, adding a file to the playlist... but no stop, no pause, so I can't really use it

I have to poke around to see maybe I find something else

Chris000001 Well yes, it continues to fire, that's the point I'm getting the info from Winamp when it fires.

Old 24th September 2009, 21:42   #176
Chris000001

Quote:
Chris000001 Well yes, it continues to fire, that's the point I'm getting the info from Winamp when it fires. [/B]
I meant it fires after a certain amount of time (say 50 ms), but then fires as fast as it can (as fast as your processor allows) until canceled. So basically you have to set a timer to call a function, cancel the timer in the called function, then set it again (either at the end of the called function, or back in the original function after it returns.)

I don't know if most programming languages do it like this or not.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:01   #177
TheSaw

Nah, it's not like that. You specify an interval, and a callback function. When the interval is elapsed, the function is called.

If you can try to test each feature separately and maybe see what causes it? Or if it's still slow with everything (except thumbnail) disabled?

Old 24th September 2009, 22:19   #178
DrO

Quote:
Dipso I have no idea about the WA api either, I just ask for information when the timer fires
code:
#define IPC_CB_MISC 603
#define IPC_CB_MISC_TITLE 0 // start of playing/stop/pause
#define IPC_CB_MISC_VOLUME 1 // volume/pan
#define IPC_CB_MISC_STATUS 2 // start playing/stop/pause/ffwd/rwd
#define IPC_CB_MISC_EQ 3
#define IPC_CB_MISC_INFO 4
#define IPC_CB_MISC_VIDEOINFO 5
#define IPC_CB_MISC_TITLE_RATING 6 // (5.5+ for when the rating is changed via the songticker menu on current file)

/* Example of using IPC_CB_MISC_STATUS to detect the start of track playback with 5.x
** if(lParam == IPC_CB_MISC && wParam == IPC_CB_MISC_STATUS)
** {
** if(SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,0,IPC_ISPLAYING) == 1 &&
** !SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,0,IPC_GETOUTPUTTIME))
** {
** char* file = (char*)SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,
** SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,0,IPC_GETLISTPOS),IPC_GETPLAYLISTFILE);
** // only output if a valid file was found
** if(file)
** {
** MessageBox(hwnd_winamp,file,"starting",0);
** // or do something else that you need to do
** }
** }
** }
*/

there are also some other notifications in the 3xxx range in wa_ipc.h

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:51   #179
TheSaw

Thx DrO, I'll take a look at them tomorrow.
I've also seen these, but it's so few info on them, didn't know what are they for.

Sadly the progressbar still requires the timer, so the most I can do is to turn the timer off when this feature is not enabled. Also, I will increase the timer's firing interval, 50 ms is too much only for this. I've put it that low because I didn't notice any performance issues with it :/

Okay, we'll see tomorrow

Old 24th September 2009, 22:51   #180
Chris000001

Quote:
If you can try to test each feature separately and maybe see what causes it? Or if it's still slow with everything (except thumbnail) disabled?
It's only slow if 'Use progressbar to show player status' is checked, but I noticed if that is unchecked or if 'Use progressbar as VU meter' is checked the time remaining (in thumbnail) stops counting (a bug?) and the Winamp GUI doesn't slow down.

edit:
If I remove all text from the thumbnail it doesn't slow down.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:58   #181
net-cruizer

I have never noticed any slowdows with GUI or anything, no matter what options I select with this plugin.
My thumbnail pops up in mere milliseconds and so does Winamp in milliseconds when I hover over the thumbnail.
I'm running Windows 7 RTM 32bit, on an Acer Aspire One d150 Netbook, and I have no performance loss. Running tons of stuff in the background, and Winamp playing, my processor usage is still only around 5%, even when hovering over thumbnails.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 07:19   #182
Dipso

Could it be that its the 64bits windows that is causing the slowdowns`?

Are you running 32bit or 64 bits saw?

Right now its the only common feature i see between me, and Chris. That and nvidia gfx hardware. :/

Old 25th September 2009, 08:08   #183
TheSaw

I'm running Windows 7 x64 build 7600. My CPU is an Intel E8200, and I have Ati gfx

Chris says the text slows it down, that's pretty weird. I only update the text when Windows asks for it, not on timer, and I use the GDI+ winapi to draw it, so it shouldn't be an issue. There are some incompatibilities... I'll try to use more callbacks to handle the Winamp info, and lower the timer resolution.

Old 25th September 2009, 08:10   #184
Chris000001

If I use the classic skin it also doesn't slow the Winamp GUI down.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:56   #185
Pawel

Quote:
I'm running Windows 7 x64 build 7600. My CPU is an Intel E8200, and I have Ati gfx
I dont see any slowdowns. Never seen. Everything works perfect. I am using Modern Skin. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 (7600). CPU is AMD Phenom II X3 720BE, 8GB of RAM and of course ATI display card (HD 4850).
-Pawel
Old 25th September 2009, 14:17   #186
itzexor

Quote:

Chris says the text slows it down, that's pretty weird. I only update the text when Windows asks for it, not on timer, and I use the GDI+ winapi to draw it, so it shouldn't be an issue. There are some incompatibilities... I'll try to use more callbacks to handle the Winamp info, and lower the timer resolution.
For me it's just as Chris says: winamp UI only slows down with the "Use progress bar to show player status" or the "Use progress bar as VU meter" options on. Remove all the text, though, and no slowdown with either of those options on. With those options off there is no slowdown with or without text. Very odd...

Windows 7 RTM x64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400, ATI Radeon 4830

Something that might be of interest is the skin timer resolution? Mine is set at 15ms(set by 'as fast as possible for this machine'). If I set it to 50ms I see no slowdown, because it's just that slow all the time. 45ms or faster and the slowdown is noticeable.

Another thing to note, is my 'as fast as possible for this machine' sets it to 58ms when showing the aero peek preview. 15ms when not showing it.

Hope this helps somehow.
itzexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 14:30   #187
TheSaw

Hm... Okay, well maybe I'm doing somethings wrong with the Win7 API, since other applications can have live video there and everything, so fast refresh is not the problem.

Anyways, I didn't have much time today, I re-did the tag information polling for Winamp, adding some cache, etc, it might help. I have some other ideas to help reduce the CPU usage, I'll do when I have time :/

I want to do a "multilanguage" build, with all the language files in it, so the user can select which language to install, but I have no time to figure out the NSIS script for this. If anyone has experience in somethings similar, I would be more than happy to accept a sample script and see how it's done

Old 25th September 2009, 15:24   #188
Pawel

Quote:

I want to do a "multilanguage" build, with all the language files in it, so the user can select which language to install, but I have no time to figure out the NSIS script for this. If anyone has experience in somethings similar, I would be more than happy to accept a sample script and see how it's done
As I love this plugin, I can help. I have some experience with NSIS scripting. Contact me on private. I can write the script in this weekend.
-Pawel
Old 25th September 2009, 16:37   #189
TheSaw

I have some problems with those callback messages DrO posted. I'm not sure he is reading this, but I'll ask anyways

Do you happen to know what is the actual message sent to the window? The comments say only what are the lparam and wparam's but that's all. Tried capturing those too, but I get nothing :/

I've searched around a bit, and found others having this issue... I'm not getting the IPC_CB_MISC message at all

Old 25th September 2009, 19:16   #190
DrO

what events are you trying to work against? ie play, stop...? i've got some time on sunday to do some coding can sort out a working example but need to know what you're looking to detect/receive (and will try to have a look at the sdk albumart issue at the same time).

-daz
Old 25th September 2009, 21:26   #191
TheSaw

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
what events are you trying to work against? ie play, stop...? i've got some time on sunday to do some coding can sort out a working example but need to know what you're looking to detect/receive (and will try to have a look at the sdk albumart issue at the same time).

-daz
Any event there is. I can figure them out just tell me which message to look for, because those specified there aren't sent... :/

The album art thingy would be really cool though, I have no idea how to do it.
Old 25th September 2009, 21:40   #192
DrO

stupid question... you have correctly subclassed the main winamp window and are looking at the messages passing through your subclass proceedure?

code:
WNDPROC SetWinampWndSubClass(HWND winamp, WNDPROC newproc){
if(IsWindowUnicode(winamp)){return (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongPtrW(winamp,GWLP_WNDPROC,(LONG_PTR)newproc);}
else{return (WNDPROC)SetWindowLongPtrA(winamp,GWLP_WNDPROC,(LONG_PTR)newproc);}
}

WNDPROC WinampProc = 0;

int init(){
WinampProc = SetWinampWndSubClass(plugin.hwndParent,HookWinampWnd);
// doing whatever else is needed, etc
return 0;
}

LRESULT CALLBACK HookWinampWnd(HWND hwnd, UINT umsg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp){
LRESULT ret = 0;
if(umsg == WM_WA_IPC){
// do any callback tests here...
}
// can doe LREESULT ret = CallWindowProc(..) incase need to look at state/messages after Winamp/other plugins have done their processing
return CallWindowProc(WinampProc, hwnd, umsg, wp, lp);

return ret;
}

-daz
Old 25th September 2009, 22:38   #193
TheSaw

Yes, I have sublcassed it correctly, it's not a stupid question, since I had no idea which one is the main windows message... So if it's WM_WA_IPC, I can handle it from here
Thx.

Old 26th September 2009, 11:16   #194
TheSaw

Okay, everything is working fine... This is prolly the best I can do, I hope it helps. I'd like some feedback from someone who was experiencing performance issues with the previous releases.

http://win7shell.googlecode.com/file..._v0_85BETA.exe

Old 26th September 2009, 14:12   #195
Dipso

That seems to have done the trick. I'm not seeing the same slowdowns in the UI atleast. Great work.

EDIT:
There i no noticeable hit in the winamp.exe CPU usage any more either. Excellent!

Edit2:
Found a visual bug though :P

The sizing of the window for the preview is different if i move from the desktop to the icon to show the preview, then if i then move it of the icon to another app and back. (Bad explanation i know :P)

Looks like it some times ads a bit of extra border/padding to the thing.

Old 26th September 2009, 14:48   #196
TheSaw

Okay, I'm glad this worked out
I know the sizing of the thumbnail is weird... I've noticed that too, but it's not really my job to do that, I just pass the API an image, and it will do the rest.

I won't upload the new version yet, I have some things I want to finish first, and this weekend is a bit busy for me.

Old 26th September 2009, 17:12   #197
Pawel

The installer of plugin is ready.
Those, who did plugin translation could also do installer translation. Ask TheSaw for details
-Pawel

Last edited by Pawel; 26th September 2009 at 19:48.
Old 26th September 2009, 17:30   #198
Chris000001

The beta seems to have fixed the slowdown for me too. I did notice the icon overlay to show player status didn't show up until the first time I pressed play and if I changed the progressbar to VU meter I had to close and re-open Winamp to make it change (the same when I changed it back.)

Thanks!
Old 26th September 2009, 19:30   #199
TheSaw

I'll fix those Chris, it's not a side effect, it's a bug.
But it's still beta

Pepe, don't link that yet, I want it only for the new version :<

Old 26th September 2009, 19:49   #200
Pawel

Quote:

Pepe, don't link that yet, I want it only for the new version :<
Link removed, post changed
-Pawel
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion