Old 28th July 2000, 05:53   #1
MJHarvan

Recently all my email attachments (I use AOL) have been converting to winamp files. My son downloaded the winamp application, and I think I deleted it, but I still cannot download an attachment without it getting converted into a winamp file. I have searched the forums and have found similar problems but none exactly the same. I didn't understand the solutions proposed anyway--I'm not very computer literate. Can anyone help, please?
MJHarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2000, 06:12   #2
sparky101

Hold Down The shift key and right click on the attachment that you want to open a popup menu will appear select open with .
And a new window will popup look through the list of programs and click on the program that you wish to open the attachment with. Check the always use this program to open this type file box at the bottom of the window and click OK

You will need to do this once for each different file type that you want to have open automatically

[This message has been edited by sparky101 (edited July 27, 2000).]
sparky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2000, 08:03   #3
MJHarvan

I can't find any way to click on the attachment first to tell AOL with what program to open the file. I can only click on the download button, and when I do so, the file has already been converted to a winamp file. Any other ideas?
Old 29th July 2000, 04:05   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

When you say you deleted Winamp, did you properly uninstall it [either via the Add/Rem Programs Control Panel or the uninstall icon in the Winamp Start Menu Programs folder] ?
If not, you should have done !

Also, before doing so, you should have opened the Winamp Preferences [Ctrl + P] and, in the File Types section, deselected all of the associated extensions.

If you didn't, then you've got 2 options:

1. Re-install Winamp, follow the above instructions, then uninstall.
2. Edit the Windows Registry.

By the way, what exactly are the extensions of your e-mail attachments ?
[eg. jpg, gif, exe, mid, txt, etc etc.]

One thing for sure, is that this is not supposed to happen. So I'm just a bit curious that's all.

A week or so ago, we had a very similar problem on the forums. Don't know if this'll help, but here's the link: http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000399.html

Let us know how you get on !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2000, 23:41   #5
MJHarvan

Thanks, DJ-Egg, but the problem remains. I re-installed Winamp, opened the Winamp Preferences and deselected all the associated extensions. When I downloaded a file, I still had the file converted to a Winamp file. Then when I tried to open the winamp file, a pop-up box titled "Program not found" appeared with the following: "Windows cannot find WINAMP.EXE. This program is needed for opening files of type 'Zip File.'" It then asked for the location of WINAMP.EXE.

The extensions of my e-mail attachments were all zipped, .zip, but the files were both text files (Word) and .jpg files.

I checked the link you suggested, and it sounded very much like what is happening with my aol e-mail attachments. However, I wasn't understanding much of how to arrive at the solution to the problem. I don't even know how to get to the windows registry, let alone edit it.

I'd appreciate whatever additional help you could give me. I can follow directions pretty well, even if I don't understand what I'm doing.
Old 6th August 2000, 05:07   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

If you've still got Winamp installed, go back to the preferences and :
1. Agent tab -> uncheck all 3 options [if they already aren't]
2. File Types tab -> uncheck "Register Files on Winamp start"
3. Click the "Select None" button.
4. Close Prefs and exit Winamp.
5. Re-open Winamp and check to see if the above changes are still the same.
6. If they are, repeat step 4.
7. Do a reboot.

If in step 5. the changes haven't registered and have somehow mysteriously been reset, then:
1. Use Explorer and goto the "C:\Program Files\Winamp" folder
2. Locate the file "Winamp.ini"
3. Hi-lite it and from the "File" menu click "Properties".
4. If it says "read only", remove the checkmark and put a checkmark next to "archive" instead.
5. Click "okay"

Now repeat steps 1-7 in the first set of instructions.

What program do you normally use to open ZIP Files ?
If it's Winzip [eg.] you should open it and check to see that ZIP is properly associated [via the options].
If you haven't got a Zip/Unzip program, then you can go to www.winzip.com and download the current version. Sadly, it will be one of those stupid unregistered trial type versions where you're supposed to pay by registering after using it for 31 days. Personally, I hate shareware and I got rid of Winzip ages ago.
My fave freeware Zip Program is Powerarchiver, which is very similar, and as good as if not better than Winzip.
Get it from www.powerarchiver.com

If none of this works [and I'll be well surprised if so] then post another reply below and we'll take it from there.

ps. Winamp rocks !
Why oh why do you want to uninstall it ?
I really feel for your son !
It's by far the best MP3 player and streamer there is [and much much more] . . . voted and proven.
Totally free, totally awesome, and a quarter the size of its rivals [Windows Media Player / Real Player + Jukebox / Musicmatch / etc].
Convinced yet ?!?!
Why do you think I spend so much time on these forums helping good folks such as yourself ?
'Cos Winamp is so utterly hefty and works so wonderfully & smoothly for me . . no problems whatsoever . . . believe me, I should know !
If you like music, then you'll love Winamp !

Hey, can I get paid now ?
[Only jokin', naturally I don't get paid for this, infact, it costs me on my phone bill for every minute I'm online. Now that's dedication for ya !]

End of mini novel.

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 7th August 2000, 02:10   #7
MJHarvan

Thanks for your dedication, DJ-Egg. I downloaded Winamp again and did what you suggested in your last response. I made the changes under the Agent and File tabs, closed Prefs, exited Winamp and reopened Winamp. The changes registered and weren't reset. I also did a reboot just for the heck of it and the changes were made as you suggested. I then downloaded a jpg attachment from a friend's email and it was converted to a winamp file! Dang it!

I then used Explorer, got into the Winamp folder and was unable to locate the Winamp.ini file. I opened everything that was in the Winamp file, but no Winamp.ini was to be found. In addition, I highlighted every folder and file in the Winamp file and clicked on properties from the file menu. Every folder and file had a checkmark in the archive box.

What next? (I really don't hate Winamp and I'm sure to use it, but I would just like to get my email attachments.) Thanks.
Old 7th August 2000, 16:01   #8
Qaxar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Qaxar Send a message via AIM to Qaxar
It's possible that the Winamp.ini file in your computer is located in the Windows folder. Winamp will still run in this case. To be sure that you find any occurrence of the .ini file do the following:

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Be sure that "C" is selected in the left panel.
3. Click on the word "Tools" in the top bar.
4. Slide the cursor to "Find" then "Files or Folders" and click.
5. Type "winamp.ini" (without the quotes) in the "Named" box. It's not case sensitive.
6. Click on "Find now".
7. When the "winamp.ini" file(s) show up in the "Found" window you can work on it right there. Right click on it to bring up the pop-up window that contains the "Properties" selection.
8. Then proceed as Egg has described.

Good luck. You should really enjoy using Winamp when you get straightened out. It's a great, and very stable application.
Qaxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2000, 22:41   #9
Qaxar
Major Dude

You can ignore the previous message about the winamp.ini file in the windows folder. That's not pertinent. The strange thing is that you can never find the winamp.ini file in the winamp folder. I tried moving the .ini file to a temp folder, and when I restarted winamp, it created a new winamp.ini file in the winamp folder. You might still try to "find" that .ini file as I described above.
Old 8th August 2000, 06:38   #10
MJHarvan

Thanks, Qaxar. I did find the winamp.ini file (right clicks do wonders for getting to "Properties"). However, the winamp.ini files located both in the windows and in the winamp folders were both checked "archive." Next?
Old 8th August 2000, 07:07   #11
Qaxar
Major Dude

This is a wild shot. I was just reading a posting from Reverend Ike that it's possible for a badly written plug-in to cause strange problems like this. Maybe you could check your file associations for any reference to .zip files - that shouldn't be there.

Click on the little character in the upper left of the Winamp main window to open the menu. Then get to Options\Preferences\FileTypes. Scroll down the list of file types to see whether ZIP is listed there - it shouldn't be. If it is, I don't know how to remove it, but what you can do is to make sure that it isn't selected (for a Winamp association). They can be selected or unselected individually by clicking on each one. You should be able to safely select them all, except for ZIP (if it's there), and maybe any other file association that giving you trouble with your AOL email attachments.
Old 8th August 2000, 07:34   #12
Qaxar
Major Dude

Sorry, I guess you can ignore my posting above. I read through the thread again, and found that you have done this, and more. If any brilliant thoughts strike, I'll let you know.
Old 8th August 2000, 07:53   #13
No Name

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJEgg:
Hey, can I get paid now ?
[Only jokin', naturally I don't get paid for this, infact, it costs me on my phone bill for every minute I'm online. Now that's dedication for ya !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KUDOS and WAFFLES for working soo hard on this MAN's TRIBUALTIONS...

HARVAN,AOL bites the big one when it comes to PROBLEMS...
TRY THESE SOLUTIONS

1.Go into your WINZIP program and hit OPTIONS. CLICK the RESET INSTALLATIONS DEFAULT..
still nuttin?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The extensions of my e-mail attachments were all zipped, .zip, but the files were both text files (Word) and .jpg files
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you know they were .jpg and word files?

2.Open MY COMPUTER-on the top tool bar CLICK&gt; VIEW&gt; FOLDER OPTIONS (at the bottom)
click FILE TYPES TAB
Go to the bottom WINZIP ... ASSOSCIATE that file with the WINZIP.EXE file..
DID THAT WORK?
i only assume your .zip extensions are being changed to winamp...

i did this trick with my WINDOWS CD-PLAYER ...i got that stupid pop up box that wanted me to locate the dame EXE file ... i changed the file assosciation back to CDPLAYER and it worked.... GOOD LUCK

ALSO look at WINAMP FILE ASSOSCITIONS and JPEG .. don't change those .. report them back

[This message has been edited by No Name (edited August 08, 2000).]
No Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2000, 07:54   #14
Qaxar
Major Dude

OK. Here's a brilliant thought. I think I've perused the thread carefully, and didn't see the following discussed at all.

Unfortunately, I don't use AOL, so I'm not sure exactly about the process AOL uses to open attachments (BTW, that's one reason I don't use AOL - they make it much more complicated than necessary to do things like opening attachments!) Anyway, the following shouldn't get you into any more trouble with AOL than you already are:

1. Open Windows Explorer and find any file of the type you're having trouble with - you mentioned JPG and ZIP - so, any file with either extension will do.

2. Click on the file to select it, then while holding down the shift key, RIGHT click the mouse.

3. In the pop-up window that appears, click on "Open with". This should pop up another window with a long list of application names.

4. When you're working on the JPG file type, you might want to select "MSpaint" from the application list. For the ZIP file type, try to find something like Winzip.

5. Click on OK

Hopefully this might change those file associations away from Winamp.
Old 9th August 2000, 07:13   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It's now beginning to sound a bit like a bug in AOL. Maybe this thread should be moved to the "Report a bug" Forum ?

Right, let's see . . . you definitely removed the checkmark next to "Register Files on Winamp start" and selected "None" for file associations, and you've totally disabled the Agent . . . okay . . . this would normally make Winamp to be not associated with any file extensions whatsoever, so you should never get Winamp trying to open anything !
Especially JPG; ZIP; TXT files . . . which have got nothing to do with Winamp whatsoever !

Naturally, if you try and open any one of these types of files from within their respective Windows folders, they don't open with Winamp. It's just when they're e-mail attachments, yes ?!?!
Eg. Already existing TXT / DOC files open with Word; ZIP files open with your Zip Program [Winzip etc]; and JPG's open with whatever [Internet Explorer / Photo Editor / MS Paint / etc].

You haven't told us yet what programs are normally associated with these filetypes !
Did you open them and go into the respective options to make sure that the right extensions are associated etc. ???

Another option, as mentioned above somewhere, is to go in to the Windows "Folder Options -&gt; File Types" [via "Start Button -&gt; Settings" or My Computer: View -&gt; Folder Options].

Scroll down the list for Zip File [could be listed as Winzip File, or as in my case, Powerarchiver File].
Hi-lite it and click "Edit"
If there's any mention of "Open with Winamp" in the "Actions" box, hi-lite the entry and click "Remove".
There should be an entry for "Open" or "Open with Winzip" [or equivalent].
If it just says "Open", hi-lite it, click "Edit" and see what it says in the "Application Used" box.
If it refers to Winamp in any way, remove this, then click on the "Browse" button and locate your default Zip Program [eg. "C:\Program Files\Winzip\Winzip.exe"].
Click "Okay" and then, back in the original Edit box, hi-lite this newly edited "Action" entry and click "Set Default".

If you don't have a zip program then :
1. Get one [Powerarchiver, as above !]
2. Ignore the above totally. Your Zip program will properly associate itself with all archives [ZIP; CAB; RAR; ARC; etc] during setup.

You can try repeating the above instructions for TXT, DOC and JPG Files.

Though, if none of this works, I've got a feeling that you're gonna have to get someone qualified to edit the Registry.
Start -&gt; Run -&gt; Regedit

Either that, or report this bug to an online AOL technician to see if they can give you the solution.
The connection being that AOL actually sponsors and owns Winamp these days, so there's got to be something in that, surely !?!?

Gee, I wish we could sort this out for ya !

Do any other AOL users experience similar problems ?

Maybe PP or Winsane might like to offer their assistance. Pretty please !!!!

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 18th August 2000, 20:42   #16
MJHarvan

Thank you, thank you, thank you, DGEgg, Qaxar and No Name. I tried what you suggested, No Name, and Zip File opened with WINAMP. I wasn't sure how to change the association, and I didn't find a WINZIP program in my list. I tried what you suggested, Qaxar, but diddn't find any programs I could associate my ZIP or JPG files with that opened the files. Finally, I downloaded Powerarchiver. It changed the associations automatically and now I can open the files attached to emails. I saw in my list of files that WINAMP is still associated with RAM files, and I don't know what those files are, but that hasn't caused me a problem yet.

All I need to do now is to become familiar with how Powerarchiver works. Again, many thanks to all of you for your help.
Old 19th August 2000, 07:44   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Phew, thank lordy for that !
All hail PowerArchiver ! Yeeharr !

It's pretty easy to use.
The main thing you need to know is how to extract files from within a zip.
Simply click the Extract Button [or Menu -&gt; Actions -&gt; Extract] and select the folder where you want to extract the file/s to.

If there are no subfolders within a particular zip, deselect the "Use Folder Name" option first [in the same "Extract" box]

The Help file explains everything quite clearly and there's also an extensive online guide on the website.

You're still going to need a program to open your JPG's with.
Once you've extracted them to your choice of folder, goto the folder and double click on one.
The "Open with" box should pop up.
If MSPaint is not in the list, click the "browse" button and locate "C:\Program Files\Accessories\MSPaint.exe"

Another suggestion is to download the excellent freeware "IrfanView" from http://www.irfanview.com and make it your default JPG viewer [Options -&gt; Properties -&gt; Extensions]

RAM files = Real Audio Media files

These are the type of files that are normally opened and streamed with Real Player.

Ahem, btw, it's DJ-Egg . . . not DGEgg !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 22nd August 2000, 03:48   #18
MJHarvan

Sorry about the slip of the finger from J to G--no slight intended, DJ-Egg. I am so grateful for your help. I appreciate your suggestions on how to go about using Powerarchiver.

I already have a program to open my photos, Corel's Photo House, I believe. Photos had always opened prior to my problem with WINAMP. Once zip entension files were attached to the Powerarchiver program, no more problem! Thanks again.
Old 23rd August 2000, 03:30   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Pleasure !
Glad to be of assistance & that everything's worked out fine.
Cheers -&gt; Egg.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support