Old 26th January 2011, 00:47   #1
RadioHybrid

Radio Hybrid has grown needs shoutcast-help!

Hello I am the owner of Radio Hybrid. We are a radio station that has grown out of its current means of streaming. We use a very small internet based dj system. It does the small stuff like plays music.. haha. beyond that we have grown to need much more.. like scheduling shows in advance to go off at certain times, multi-dj's etc.
We have quite a good station going and I am paranoid of switching but it is time.

Everyone that I talk to about internet radio has pointed me here.
So I read all the things it offers and I am now more freaked than ever.
Can someone put into simpel terms what I need to do to get started.. here is what I need..

I have an extensive schedule that has about 5 different DJs and two talk shows.. so they al need to be live at their given times..
two of the shows get pre recorded and they need to be able to be created in advance and be told to launch at a certain time automatically..
I have a great web site so I also want them to be able to continue to listen to the music and shows from our home web site...

Ok I also have a dummy computer that I could put this server thing on.. but the damn directions scared the hell out of me.. and I think I am prety good with a computer..

so any suggestion on how or where to start?
Zadist
RadioHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 01:01   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHybrid View Post
Ok I also have a dummy computer that I could put this server thing on.. but the damn directions scared the hell out of me.. and I think I am prety good with a computer..
clearly you are not nearly as good with a computer as you think if shoutcast scares you ... it's a dummy computer ... you can't break it with shoutcast
Quote:
so any suggestion on how or where to start?
Zadist
read the fine manuals that come with downloads

I would recommend you need sc_trans and sc_serv (transcoder and DNAS) for your server

everything you describe can be so easily and effortlessly achieved using these two ... take your time reading the documentation supplied and you should be up and running in no time

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 12:57   #3
RadioHybrid

thanks for your help

Well I am reading al of the material and it does seem daunting. You state that I may not be as good with a computer as I may have thought. I agree because the stuff I am reading is confusing and I am really not willing to wreck a good business on my knowledge of shoutcast. I think it may be in my best interest to find someone with some patience who can talk me through my questions.. such as:

Do I have to put the server end on a different computer
I assume the computer that has the server has to be on 24/7 since we have listeners around the globe is that true?
Do my djs have to use the transcoder software to link into the station?
Can they use sam 4 instead?
Do my listeners have to go to shoutcast web site to listen to the music or does this go through a stream url that I can add into some flash and create a player for our web site?

This and so much more...

We have recently had a flourish of fantastic feedback and we want to move on whatever we decide to do..
Well I am stil trying to figure this out. If anyone doesn't mind talking to me who as the previous helper points out, am not so good with a computer I guess, I would appreciate it.
Z from Radio Hybrid
http://www.radiohybrid.net
Old 28th January 2011, 20:01   #4
RadioHybrid

No idea how to config this thing-teamviewer anyone!

I simply do not get this. I have a radio station.. 3000+ listeners and we need to get on boac with shoutcast and I appreciate that fact. However, I have never used a command prompt whatever before in my life.
I downloaded the server and the transcoder.. I have read all of the docs... I tried to config but i can not figure out how to open the file .conf... so I read more. find out there is a config helper... no idea where to download it... so here is my fear..
I get someone to get this thing to work for me, yet since I do not understand it I go crazy one day because my station is screwed and I dont have a clue how to fix it.
Being an owner sucks! Ha Ha.
I have decided to make this change so there is no going back now.. my station is stil running on the old system so no worries there.. now all I need is someone who has some patience and a love of teaching and will help me either through emails, phone, horse and buggy, team viewer.. anything to help m eget this set up and learned so I can trouble shoot in case of a station melt down..
anyone want to help this man who is about to toss a perfectly good computer out the window..
Z
Old 28th January 2011, 20:34   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
...find out there is a config helper... no idea where to download it...
Don't need to download it, it now comes with the latest DNAS Build installer which is inside the folder labeled "config_builder" after extraction/installation. The latest build might not have yet of posted on the main download page so check this thread for the direct download link (as of the time of this post.)
You can also find an updated live copy link to it in this thread.

Quote:
...who is about to toss a perfectly good computer out the window...
No need for that.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 21:41   #6
Greg_E
Major Dude

Hire a server from one of the many streaming media specific companies and tell them what you need. Most of the decent ones should be able to pretty much flick a switch and have the server ready for your incoming stream.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 23:49   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Do I have to put the server end on a different computer
I assume the computer that has the server has to be on 24/7 since we have listeners around the globe is that true?
There's no "have to" ... if you want 24/7 streaming, I'd recommend an "external" server
Quote:
Do my djs have to use the transcoder software to link into the station?
No
Quote:
Can they use sam 4 instead?
Yes
Quote:
Do my listeners have to go to shoutcast web site to listen to the music or does this go through a stream url that I can add into some flash and create a player for our web site?
shoutcast website - No
stream url - Yes
flash player - Good luck with that

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 00:34   #8
Smelter
Major Dude

sc_trans + crossdomain policy enabled = flash titles+ unlimited aac streaming with thunder snow library.
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions