Old 20th May 2013, 22:00   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
why were the genre threads closed?

why were these two threads closed? what violation prompted that? i'd like to know so it doesn't happen again.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=354838

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=348657

I also have some pertinent questions:

did both jph6t and Aminifu have the dll in question? I assume they did, but i'd like to confirm. does this mean all formats would be affected? did DJ Egg also have the plugin installed for his tests, or no?

also, what was the purpose of this plugin? what does it do? anything winamp now can't?

I would also like to thank Aminifu for acknowledging to me, unprompted in a PM, that following an SOP would have been the right thing to do. he would have done so in the public threads, but they are mysteriously locked for some reason. I appreciate his candor.

i'd also float the bad idea about allowing "on/off" switches for individual plugins again, (and profiles) but I think it will fall on deaf ears.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 22:26   #2
DrO

they were both resolved and there was no need for further discussion leading to the solution being lost in additional posts procrastinating over things - the last post in both threads states the cause of the issue and the solution to the issue.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 22:44   #3
jph6t
Major Dude

Genre drop-down in the “File Info” window is NOT populating correctly for FLAC files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
did both jph6t and Aminifu have the dll in question? I assume they did, but i'd like to confirm. does this mean all formats would be affected?
I can confirm my issue was due to "gen_os_diag.dll".
Removing this plugin solves the FLAC Genre issue.

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=347
jph6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 00:23   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
did DJ Egg also have the plugin installed for his tests, or no?

also, what was the purpose of this plugin? what does it do? anything winamp now can't?
No, I didn't have it installed, which is why I could never reproduce the problem.

The plugin made Winamp save the positions of the Open, Save, Alt+3, Ctrl+E & Prefs dialogs,
the latter 3 which have now been implemented in 5.7 beta.

The other good thing which occurred as a result of investigating the problem
was the discovery & fix for the "ID3v1 edits also auto-update ID3v2" issue.

p.s. Please note that I didn't close those threads :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 14:39   #5
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
And can we add another note somewhere (maybe in bigger bolder letters) about NOT having third party programs (no matter the developer) when reporting issues? I hate to think how much time and effort was spent on an issue that wasn't an issue.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 14:48   #6
DrO

i've unlocked the threads even though it made perfect sense to lock them as the cause and solution was stated which is why i did it.

there was no need for this thread to ever have been started as the final post in both of the threads was clear on the cause and the solution. anyhow, we can now fill them with as much pointless additional posts and procrastination as is now wanted (as clearly happened in the ID3 related one and makes both of them pointless as references back as the specific posts are now lost in walls of text).

ironically we're still waiting for the OP to follow the SOP's they seem so keen on following and telling other people to use but have not done so for any of their Cloud issues.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:54   #7
lostinsound

It was completely clear why those threads were closed and it's pretty clear why this thread was started.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 15:06   #8
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
why were these two threads closed? what violation prompted that? i'd like to know so it doesn't happen again.
Here is the answer to if there was a violation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post

Plus confirmation that the bug exists with NO 3rd-party plugins installed,
and whether it occurs with the Bento, Winamp Modern and/or Winamp Classic skin(s)
(3rd-party plugins & skins are NOT supported here).

Incomplete reports/useless posts will be deleted (you have been warned).

Maintained by DJ Egg
So in retrospect, DrO was super nice in not deleting the threads.
Hooray for Super Nice DrO.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 15:21   #9
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanus View Post
Here is the answer to if there was a violation...

So in retrospect, DrO was super nice in not deleting the threads.
Hooray for Super Nice DrO.
That's a stretch for a violation. It was clear the threads were closed because the issue was resolved.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 15:26   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

In the interest of full disclosure, the following is the full text of my PM to MrSinatra.

"I just want to acknowledge that when you are right, you're are right.

Shortcuts can (and often do) waste time.

The issue would have been resolved sooner if I had followed SOP and removed all 3rd party plug-ins and not just those I was suspicious of.

Safe mode makes this easy to do now and I will use it going forward.

I still don't think a step by step formal test procedure was needed in this case, but removing all 3rd party plug-ins definitely was.

I would have posted this acknowledgement in my thread, but it has been locked.

Hope you're having, or had, a good day!"

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 17:01   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I hate to think how much time and effort was spent on an issue that wasn't an issue.
It was an issue, just not with the core app and its official plug-ins. In general, 3rd party plug-ins can provide very useful features. DrO has written several of the best ones. A lot of his work has been added to the native app (including some aspects of the plug-in that caused the problem in this case).

Furthermore, according to DJ Egg (in this thread and elsewhere), the re-examination of the Alt+3 editor was not a complete waste of time.

I do regret the fact that I could/should have identified the interfering plug-in sooner.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 21st May 2013, 20:01   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, please get over it. you are way too touchy.

Quote:
I also have some pertinent questions:

does this mean all formats would be affected?

[does the plugin do] anything winamp now can't?

i'd also float the bad idea about allowing "on/off" switches for individual plugins again, (and profiles) but I think it will fall on deaf ears.
that last bit would have helped jph6t who struggled with identifying and removing/testing individual DLLs at first, but its a bad idea.

still interested in my questions.

Quote:
And can we add another note somewhere (maybe in bigger bolder letters) about NOT having third party programs (no matter the developer) when reporting issues? I hate to think how much time and effort was spent on an issue that wasn't an issue.
indeed, it would be a good idea. not following the SOP is clearly what was at fault here. more on this below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i've unlocked the threads even though it made perfect sense to lock them as the cause and solution was stated which is why i did it.

there was no need for this thread to ever have been started as the final post in both of the threads was clear on the cause and the solution. anyhow, we can now fill them with as much pointless additional posts and procrastination as is now wanted (as clearly happened in the ID3 related one and makes both of them pointless as references back as the specific posts are now lost in walls of text).
what are you so bitter about? god, RELAX. first of all, i'm just asking why? secondly, threads are not normally closed outside of a violation. i don't think I've ever seen it done in fact. thirdly, its not the job of mods, whoever they are, to decide when conversation is over. i started this thread not just to ask why the closure, but to ask my followup questions, and those above still aren't answered.

the bloat of those threads btw, are b/c of not following the SOP, but often that bloat is unavoidable when solving perplexing issues. and closing the threads seems to just move the convo into the beta thread, don't see how that was desired?

Quote:
ironically we're still waiting for the OP to follow the SOP's they seem so keen on following and telling other people to use but have not done so for any of their Cloud issues.
and of course, you have to have a go at me. why? wtf have i done to you? r u just gonna be a dick to me forever? why can't you plainly state your beef? its you btw who owes me an apology, not the other way around. i love how you pretend my posts don't exist, and won't even call me by name, and if you do ever lower yourself to respond to me, its to be condescending and sanctimonious.

in response to this bit of BS, i don't have any 3rd party plugins at all. my installs only have stock plugins, at least when i report bugs in any case.

as to a step by step method of reproduction, i often have not had one, but when i do i have said how to reproduce. most of the time i do not get responses asking for more clarification, but if i do, i certainly do my best to fulfill them. can you point to an example where that is not the case? i will rectify if you do. i also happen to be one of the few and only people helping to test the cloud, you're so very welcome.

so could you please point to the cloud issues i have posted about where i was vague or unclear, and where you require more info? if you would be so kind as to do so, i could then let you know if i can actually clarify further or not. of course you'd have to actually talk to me to do so.

and lets also clarify that i was not, and have not, "demanded" people follow the SOP when FIRST reporting an issue. that is not necessary imo. it IS necessary IF and WHEN someone tries to reproduce and can't. if either guy had posted their plugin list or given step by step instructions earlier, this could have been solved much earlier. if not for me pushing it, it would be unsolved right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
It was completely clear why those threads were closed and it's pretty clear why this thread was started.
enlighten us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsound View Post
That's a stretch for a violation. It was clear the threads were closed because the issue was resolved.
not clear at all. he was being sarcastic btw.

no, in fact its now clear that those forum discussions bothered DrO, so he decided to kill em. (i see no point in speculating as to why, it doesn't matter why). he has now reopened them, but i am content to finish them here. others can do so there if they choose. at least now they have the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, the following is the full text of my PM to MrSinatra.

"I just want to acknowledge that when you are right, you're are right.

Shortcuts can (and often do) waste time.

The issue would have been resolved sooner if I had followed SOP and removed all 3rd party plug-ins and not just those I was suspicious of.

Safe mode makes this easy to do now and I will use it going forward.

I still don't think a step by step formal test procedure was needed in this case, but removing all 3rd party plug-ins definitely was.

I would have posted this acknowledgement in my thread, but it has been locked.

Hope you're having, or had, a good day!"
i want to thank you for that again, however you are only half right.

here is why i was such a stickler for the SOP, in both cases:

they were related, BUT i could not reproduce either one. in such cases, when a point is reached where i (or others) can not reproduce an issue (that i otherwise believe someone else is having) based on what they have said, a full, step by step SOP is called for.

it was only AFTER jph6t and i worked out those steps, it was essentially proven to me that his issue was unique to him, which indicated to me it likely was a plugin or setting of some kind he had, that i did not. i said so and requested the info. the same would have been the case with you, had you cooperated.

i'll admit that using safe mode hadn't yet occurred to me, but then again i didn't know you guys had 3rd party plugins. i did however call for a plugins list, something neither of you provided. you acknowledge that SOP miss though. but you should also acknowledge the other, b/c if not for me pushing jph6t on it, it wouldn't have gotten to that point, and you then wouldn't have copied him.

btw, and this is NOT AT ALL a knock at DrO, who clearly IS an excellent dev, but i have for years NOT used his plugins, or essentials, or other plugins b/c of this [potential] very issue. i want my bug reports to be "clean" and generally i don't need plugins. i learned that lesson some years ago when DrO and I went through a similarly painful process as this genre issue, when one of his plugins, maybe a snes wrapper or something, something that should not have had ANY relation to a browser bug issue (when clicking the magnifying glass in top center pane), caused my entire winamp to crash. it was one of the bugs that led to my suggesting "safe mode" (and other bad ideas) in the first place.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=327790

ps. unfortunately i can not find another very, very old post where i think DrO, me, and Koopa were talking about one of DrO's plugins that might solve a request for me at that time, before i used any. might have been time restore, or essentials, or video game ones but i can't find it (dammit). i think the forums have lost data over the years. but i said i generally stayed away from plugins, since i wanted to be clean to do bug reports, and DrO said something to the effect of that's understandable, but his plugins were semi-official or something like that. very true, and again, he's a great dev, but this just goes to show why safe mode and other ideas like it are useful. also, i remember commenting back something to the effect that i don't use 3rd party at squeeze either, b/c i don't want to come to rely on something that might not be supported going forward. interesting.

--
Old 21st May 2013, 20:12   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
It was an issue, just not with the core app and its official plug-ins.
i think he understands that, ergo why he said what you are responding to.

Quote:
In general, 3rd party plug-ins can provide very useful features. DrO has written several of the best ones. A lot of his work has been added to the native app (including some aspects of the plug-in that caused the problem in this case).

Furthermore, according to DJ Egg (in this thread and elsewhere), the re-examination of the Alt+3 editor was not a complete waste of time.

I do regret the fact that I could/should have identified the interfering plug-in sooner.
i won't repeat what i said above, but the failing goes beyond just that.

--
Old 21st May 2013, 23:06   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I suggest you choose your weapons from here and take this elsewhere. May I suggest one of these places...
Old 21st May 2013, 23:30   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Comical egg, as always. seriously tho, I do have questions of merit up there...

--
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:33   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... seriously tho, I do have questions of merit up there...
If you would only read this thread and the related others, you will see that all your questions, except 1, were answered.

The 1 not answered is "does this mean all formats would be affected?".

That would require installing the plug-in and testing with all formats. Since you don't mind doing these 'what if' kind of tests, you can do them and let us know.

Quote:
i won't repeat what i said above, but the failing goes beyond just that.
I tried to offer you a compliment and you throw it back in my face. I should have known better.

Old 22nd May 2013, 14:38   #17
ujay
Forum King

Relax.

Egg's right, there's nothing a nice cup of tea won't solve

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:58   #18
DrO

but... i don't know how to make it right... milk first or milk last
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:20   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I tried to offer you a compliment and you throw it back in my face. I should have known better.
I thanked you for the compliment. you also tried to say, in offering the compliment, that you were still right regardless, in that you did not need to offer a step by step method of reproduction.

that's demonstrably false imo, as I think this case has clearly shown. all I was doing was pointing that out. sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

--
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:28   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
but... i don't know how to make it right... milk first or milk last
you could start by telling me what Cloud issues I've reported that need more info.

I will provide more, IF I have more to provide.

--
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:37   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
that's demonstrably false imo, as I think this case has clearly shown. all I was doing was pointing that out. sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.
Just the kind of response I was expecting. It would be nice if you would climb down off your high horse and surprise me from time to time.

In the PM, I was only acknowledging your comment that "Shortcuts can waste time". I was not trying to say I was right anyway, that's your domain. I just wanted it clear that I was not buying into everything you were saying.

But shortcuts don't always waste time. Most of what you were ranting about in the various threads is just intellectual BS, imo. The scientific method in general is very useful, but a particular procedure may not be worth the paper it's written on. As you stated, jph6t decided to try safe mode on his own. It had nothing to do with the precious procedure you badgered him into providing.

The problems the plug-in is causing were not previously known. So having the plug-in appear on a configuration list would not have been useful in the way such lists usually are used (for spotting a known problematic plug-in).

Are you going to look for an answer to your unanswered question?

Personal Comment Alert:
I'm not offended. You lost the power to offend me a long time ago. I just don't want there to be a misunderstanding as to what the PM was about. I only used the frown smilie in my earlier post because there isn't one for sad (not for me, but for you).

There is nothing disrespectful in having a different pov. I too have suggested features that have been implemented. I too have discovered bugs and helped them get fixed. I have also helped others with their issues. I have a skill set that I'm confident in just like you are confident with yours. I have had successes and failures, just like you. There is no 1 right way to do anything.

Last edited by Aminifu; 22nd May 2013 at 17:41.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:41   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

so now you make personal comments where I have made none.

and it is farcical you won't admit you are wrong. i'm not inside jph6ts head, but when I did the exact steps he provided, and could not reproduce, and then asked him, yet again, for a plugins list... well yeah, i'm sure that had nothing to do with him then trying safe mode.

its not a high horse. i'm simply sticking to my guns that had you cooperated we could have determined this well before jph6t and i did. I was trying to help YOU with YOUR issue, it had nothing to do with me.

and of course there is no "one right way" to fix things, obviously I agree with that. but there is a wrong way, well documented by how things transpired here.

keep making it personal, that's a great argument.

and no, I won't be testing anything further. I've helped enough. frankly, at this point the devs could answer the question if they want to, since i'm sure they now know how/what went on. its just a matter of curiosity to me, nothing more. besides, its a plugin that i'm not sure I even have access to.

ps. I love how you say you weren't trying to say you were right anyway, and then go to explain you were, b/c I was BS or something to that effect.

--
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:55   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... it is farcical you won't admit you are wrong.
I acknowledged my regret, and failure, to initially isolate the issue to 3rd party plug-ins.

I know enough about computers and software in general and Winamp in particular to take reasoned shortcuts. I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

My initial decision to not remove all 3rd party plug-ins turned out to be a bad one. It was a reasonable, but wrong, assumption to think that particular (semi-official) plug-in would not be involved in this case.

Failure to isolate official and non-official Winamp components was wrong. Resisting your efforts to have me provide a formal test procedure and files was not wrong in this case, imo.

Old 23rd May 2013, 19:51   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Let's keep things friendly and civil, please.
The main thing is, however the method, we got there in the end :-)
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:24   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Let's keep things friendly and civil, please.
The main thing is, however the method, we got there in the end :-)
I can try to do that. Different pov is fine with me. I just don't like to see my comments twisted into something I'm clearly not saying, but I really can't do anything about that in this situation. I realize people find what they seek. If I chose to find something perverse in every word or phrase, I can read it that way.

It helps me somewhat to know there were additional, tho unintentional, benefits to stepping a little outside the box in this case.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports