Old 8th December 2013, 18:07   #1
Irbidan

Winamp reloaded or future

Create an alternative to Winamp. Developers/team of Winamp, you could mount another project and upload it to GitHub (or any other SVN). Me and a group of people are thinking of making a copy to Winamp since it's been a great player for many years in our lives.

Another thing, if it possible to download Winamp Source Code?
Irbidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 22:21   #2
DrO

the source code is not available and most of what people want 'fixed' with Winamp can be done just by writing replacement plug-ins for the native ones.

and it's all good seeing people wanting to write (another) Winamp clone (as it's been done countless times over the years and none have every really succeeded, even xmms died), but it would have been better to have had people writing plug-ins for Winamp when it was still developed, not now post the shutdown notice e.g. all of these 'devs' who've appeared and signed the petition, where have they been for the last 5 years when people were stopping making user-content for Winamp.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 00:33   #3
/usr/bin/Tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and it's all good seeing people wanting to write (another) Winamp clone (as it's been done countless times over the years and none have every really succeeded, even xmms died)
Actually, the former Winamp clone AIMP is still alive and well. I wonder why.

Winamp user since v1.something.
/usr/bin/Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 00:49   #4
DrO

AIMP hasn't been able to be classified as Winamp clone in the sense of what i meant in a long long time as it went off on it's own path.
Old 9th December 2013, 00:52   #5
/usr/bin/Tux

Depends. It drifted away some years ago.

OTOH, xmms is not "dead" either, it's only forked.

I'm not sure if we need another "Winamp with a different sound engine" (AIMP), "Winamp without the Bento skin" (AIMP3) or "Winamp for Linux" (xmms, xmms2, Audacious, ...).

Old 9th December 2013, 00:57   #6
DrO

forked to a number of other players which themselves have generally been abandoned along with xmms in general. so dead / forked / whatever, and is exactly what i'd expect to see happen if Winamp were open sourced but it'd go through that stage a lot quicker and ultimately none would work and it'd just be a complete mess of un-related and incompatible versions which just seal the nails in the coffin.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:00   #7
/usr/bin/Tux

With the small but reasonable difference that Winamp has always had a giant userbase, unlike xmms...

Old 9th December 2013, 01:07   #8
DrO

user bases change.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:08   #9
/usr/bin/Tux

Humans love consistency.

Old 9th December 2013, 03:18   #10
DrO

nah, they just prefer shiny new things and a way to kick the crap out of other people
Old 9th December 2013, 14:10   #11
/usr/bin/Tux

Why do they still use Windows XP and foobar2000 then?

Old 9th December 2013, 17:28   #12
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..e.g. all of these 'devs' who've appeared and signed the petition, where have they been for the last 5 years when people were stopping making user-content for Winamp.
Good point, I thought it too.. probably one of the reasons they are returning now is the "not AOL anymore" state of things.. which is kind of ironic since now, without AOL supporting (as little as they did at least..), there will be no Winamp at all.. (maybe this is one of those "be careful what you wish" lessons, this is what we´ve got for asking AOL to stay away form Winamp..).

@/usr/bin/Tux: Windows usage move is slow, understandably, but clear in its direction.., really. And don´t know why you mention foobar2000, that´s one of the few media players which stays up-to-date with new market tendencies..
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 12:58   #13
Irbidan

So, we will call some Hackers like Anonymous to steal that source code
Old 12th December 2013, 13:00   #14
Irbidan

Quote:
the source code is not available and most of what people want 'fixed' with Winamp can be done just by writing replacement plug-ins for the native ones.

and it's all good seeing people wanting to write (another) Winamp clone (as it's been done countless times over the years and none have every really succeeded, even xmms died), but it would have been better to have had people writing plug-ins for Winamp when it was still developed, not now post the shutdown notice e.g. all of these 'devs' who've appeared and signed the petition, where have they been for the last 5 years when people were stopping making user-content for Winamp.

Not exactly. there are some developers doing this, iam one of that since some years iam trying to clone this software.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:05   #15
DrO

just make replacement plug-ins and use the existing winamp.exe - thats all thats needed. and claiming to get people to try to steal the source code is very childish and I wouldn't trust any project where its members have made such a comment.

and if you / whoever are trying to write another Winamp clone then you don't need the source code as you're not going to be limited by compatibility aspects and can apply modern patterns as needed.
Old 14th December 2013, 03:25   #16
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
hahahahahah...sorry.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 05:54   #17
EWeiss

i have a clone of Winamp and not publish so far

Winamp has remove many good things from WA3 SkinSwitcher, Thinker and so on
now it is to late for Change any.

using the same engine as Aimp do (Bass Library) for Sound..
Aimp is nothing Special

and no.. nobody can create a Clone for Winamp with all available working module

greets
EWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 08:01   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi EWeiss,

Many (probably most) of the things you liked about WA3 are available with Winamp 5.x via plug-ins. So many people hated WA3, they returned to (and stayed with) WA2. That is part of the reason AOL is giving up on Winamp now.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 08:35   #19
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi EWeiss,

Many (probably most) of the things you liked about WA3 are available with Winamp 5.x via plug-ins. So many people hated WA3, they returned to (and stayed with) WA2. That is part of the reason AOL is giving up on Winamp now.
Yes, shame

greets
Old 15th December 2013, 22:51   #20
DrO

it was called the 'thinger'.
Old 15th December 2013, 23:08   #21
EWeiss

Quote:
it was called the 'thinger'.
yes

my bad english

greets
Old 16th December 2013, 04:50   #22
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I didn't learn to know Winamp 2x or Winamp 3x, only Winamp 5x (in July 2010). Okay, many people still use Winamp 2x, but there are also many people, who use Winamp 5x.

I want to see the "Winamp Resurrection", at first for Windows, but also for Android and Mac and maybe for some other OS.

The legendary "End of Days" didn't come on 21st / 22nd December 2012, but it is coming now, 1 year later...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:29   #23
EWeiss

the end of Winamp is the day moved to other Platforms like Mac.. Android

greets
Old 16th December 2013, 13:32   #24
DrO

so that'd be around 2000 then...
Old 16th December 2013, 23:40   #25
tommy_voodoo

i'm still using winamp 2.666 without any extra skins or plugins.. never really had a need for anything newer.

my point is, if you like what you're running right now, just be sure to archive a copy or three.. as long as your hardware supports it, it'll be usable for a very long time.

in my opinion, THAT is the future of Winamp.
tommy_voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 02:33   #26
JpopGirl

I am using 5.6666

Last edited by JpopGirl; 18th December 2013 at 02:36. Reason: Posted in the wrong thread
JpopGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 21:01   #27
majorpain

Send a message via ICQ to majorpain
Sure...

Pretty sure something will come up very soon.

I've been using Winamp since the first version, hell, my favorite plugin was pitchfork something like 20 years ago; and convinced more people than i remember to quit darn wmp and use the real shit: Winamp always was, and not sure there will be anything better in the next few years, windows, or even mobile versions whoop everything else's ass.

Its a pity that we never got a Linux version tho or a Windows version of Clementine also...

Well, as i type, i am rockin my world with v5.63.. misses nutin at all.

Cheers!
majorpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 00:02   #28
DrO

why not 5.666?
Old 25th December 2013, 15:09   #29
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

If Winamp finally lives on, I think a good work for the community is to go trough all that articles that says that it is already dead and leave a comment explaining it´s not.
It´s even harmful the load of "tech news" sites that don´t check anything and already had articles prepared (and now published) giving Winamp for dead. Surely there are already a lot less of users because of the initial announcement, but with those articles around there´ll be even less...
Old 25th December 2013, 22:21   #30
djpete
Major Dude

I will be the first to admit that the Petition did go off in the wrong tangent asking for Winamp to go open source. As I learnt more facts as to why that may not be a good move I adjusted the Petition to reflect that, and the main focus was altered to keeping Winamp alive. I truly believe this is what everyone wanted anyway.

Yes Winamp will be usable for many years to come even if it's officially shelved but for me personally I didn't think it deserved that, it's the only player of it's kind, in way of versatility, nothing comes close. That's why I and everyone else was so passionate when we heard the news that it would be closing.

Although it may be able to be upgraded etc with plugins the best outcome is that it is bought by a caring company with a new vision of marketing the player.

Otherwise Winamp will just drift off into the distance and will not be seen or spoken about in say 5 years or so.

That's not what I want. It just doesn't deserve it.

When you look at what's around such as WMP and iTunes the only reason these players are so popular is because they come standard with operating systems pre installed.
And of course the marketing is good too for them.

If the right company with a rekindled passion took over Winamp and started to market it afresh with some new ideas then I reckon there is new hope.

The petition and general outrage at Winamp closing may have just opened some executives eyes that this player has a huge following and if repackaged properly it could even make some money as well.

It has also opened Winamp users eyes how much we would miss this player if it was gone.
So now everyone is looking at Winamp in a different way.

Here's hoping that will mean a win win for everyone.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 16:14   #31
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

It´s a good day for....

Old 29th January 2014, 12:35   #32
zardoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
It´s a good day for....

No, seriously?
zardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:40   #33
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Explaining jokes for the latey ; it was 28 Dec, innocents day..
Old 29th January 2014, 13:34   #34
csusman1

It feels like winamp has been my music player for ever. Without it would be quite the adjustment. It feels like I'm losing another old friend.
csusman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 13:53   #35
zardoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Explaining jokes for the latey ; it was 28 Dec, innocents day..

I know. I was messing with you
zardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist