Old 18th June 2014, 23:19   #1
Satuim

Lags relating to Album Art

I've been having some lag problems relating to Winamp. I have CPro installed along with the Winamp Mac Sync skin for CPro, But I will explain.

The bigger the album art the more lagged it will become when switching to the song. When I choose A song with large (2000x2000px) Album art it will delay slightly before playing.

I'm also finding the album art is taking a long time to load on the main library view. Any info that can help this problem fix.

If it is a plugin I will be happy to remove it. I do not have access to the computer with Winamp installed so I cannot do an error report at the moment sorry
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 23:36   #2
DrO

large artwork will be slow to load. there was another thread about this recently with another cPro user iirc and it's down to how Winamp does things internally which means it will be slow. i've made changes internally to try to better cache things (as i have a setup that in some cases requested the same image 4 times on some actions, which for a 2000x2000 image is going to cause the ui to lag).

so what you've describing is expected in a number of cases. and even with the library handling, if you've got large artwork, it's potentially having to read it, convert it to the pre-handled sizes, store it and do any scaling needed which equals possible slowness.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 06:31   #3
Satuim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
large artwork will be slow to load. there was another thread about this recently with another cPro user iirc and it's down to how Winamp does things internally which means it will be slow. i've made changes internally to try to better cache things (as i have a setup that in some cases requested the same image 4 times on some actions, which for a 2000x2000 image is going to cause the ui to lag).

so what you've describing is expected in a number of cases. and even with the library handling, if you've got large artwork, it's potentially having to read it, convert it to the pre-handled sizes, store it and do any scaling needed which equals possible slowness.
Will stop using CPro help?
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 08:55   #4
DrO

any skin will potentially lag with large artwork with the version of Winamp you're using. and the library lag is independent of the skin.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:22   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am only online here, because I have discovered this thread.

We had a similar discussion in another thread, and it has been said, it's independent from the skin.

500x500 pixel and JPG has been suggested for embedded artwork (I use Mp3tag), and the "New SoundCloud" has exactly this pixel size and this file format. From the "Old SoundCloud" I got the profile pictures in 400x400 pixel and from the tracks I got much larger album art very often, also over 4000x4000 pixel, which is not recommended, and also sometimes they were not in 1:1.

From Bandcamp and Internet Archive mostly I get the album art beween 600x600 and 1600x1600 pixel.

I don't know, if I will find the other thread so quickly...

Edit: On Page 659 of "What are you listening to right now?" I have found the other thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377453

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 11:33   #6
MarkRH

I don't get these 2000x2000 album images embedded in MP3s. They're fine as stand alone images for printing out jewel case labels or something (desktop wallpaper) but that's about it. Personally, I remove all the embedded album art in the MP3s I have and just put a single 200x200 pixel folder.jpg in the album folder.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 11:56   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I just got a second new .wav-file from one of my artist-colleagues and Facebook-Friends. Yesterday I have downloaded her profile picture as cover.jpg into the same subfolder, it has a size of 960x960 pixel.

I have another folder with subfolders, I got the MP3s from MyOwnMusic. In one of the albums the MP3s have embedded album art in 200x200 pixel. Also from the "Old MySpace" I got this album art in 200x200 pixel. We have the "New MySpace" now.

I myself love the embedded album art in the .mp3- & .wma-files. For the .flac- & .wmv-files I have cover.jpg & albumname.jpg in the same subfolders (but also in the subfolders with the .mp3- & .wma-files). For the .wav-files I have only cover.jpg, but at least each music has an album art...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 18:39   #8
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
I don't get these 2000x2000 album images embedded in MP3s.
Sometimes theyre all thats available instead of the microscopic 96x96 pics.

Like Sabine said, embedded album art is pretty great for files that arent part of an album (like stuff off SoundCloud and the like) so embedding them is the only thing you really can do.

Plus, 200x200 album art sometimes just isnt that great and its blurry as f, maybe not on the tiny picture Bento shows, but on cPro skins that show a larger album art, it shows. very badly at that.

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support