Old 28th March 2006, 18:01   #1
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
NOOO! Winamp destroys all my ID3v2 Tags!!

Hello guys,

I have seen the last months of Winamp with many new features, many bugs, much great work but also much s***. Now it's definitively enough. I will either use Winamp 2 or so or I will even migrate to another player.

When I burned my last MP3-CD (and I burn one every Month, it's for use in my DVD player, my Car MP3 Radio and my portable MP3 discman) I was really shocked as I had to see that every and all ID3v2 Tags that I edited with Winamp in the last few weeks are DESTROYED!!!

On my car radio they just read "Y", on my first portable Player it's something like "yü" and another sign, and on my other portable player they read normal but with <Spaces> between each letter (and so fitting only the half information into the display).... wtf happened??!!!

My DVD Player just displays nothing and even doesn't play some files anymore (the first second is cut off).

I am very very sorry that I am almost "flaming" but what Winamp became in the last months is just worse, worse and worse again.

But the most important thing: HOW CAN I REPAIR MY FILES ??? In Winamp's Tag editor, they appear fully normal!!! And that's what really shocks me! Has Winamp invented an own ID3 format that only Winamp can read? Is there a funktion to change them way back?

PLEEASE help me. Somebody told me it could have sth. to do with Unicode. Could you please make an option to disable this unlucky feature (if it's the cause of my player mess[es])??

If the next Winamp version is again able to write *normal* ID3 tags, I promise you I'll use it again but this way... absolutely no way!

And the sillyest thing is that I first noticed it when I played the CD in my car... ON MY PC, IN WINAMP IT SELF, YOU *CANNOT* TELL THE DIFFERENCE between the corrupt "new" and the correct "old" tags!!! So all you out there BE WARNED:

It is enough that you change just one letter of a tag using Winamp - and it will be lost for all other programs / devices except winamp. This is my experience.

PLEASE fix it. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 21:49   #2
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

almost certainly, your tags are now unicode. which is very much a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Your devices probably dont support unicode. Its in the spec, but heh, nonconformity is a bitch.

There is a way to change winamp to save tags to a specific type, its in the ini file, but i forget what. Alternatively, a seperate tagging application may let you specify this also and offer you the ability to "retag" en-masse.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 22:21   #3
kzuse

Okay. So I think I need an application that is able to convert Unicode tags to ANSI tags without losses (I only use "normal" characters so why do I need Unicode???). Maybe one of those mass-taggers offers such a feature of tag conversion.

Quote:
There is a way to change winamp to save tags to a specific type, its in the ini file, but i forget what.
How can I find what/where this option is? Maybe you can look it up and tell me... ? this would be really fine!!

//edit

Quote:
Your devices probably dont support unicode. Its in the spec, but heh, nonconformity is a bitch.
But as you can see, almost nobody cares about the specs! These are 4 different, independent players and each of them really has massive problems with those silly unicode tags! Why not make a simple checkbox in the "in_mp3" options that says: "[X] Use ANSI tags instead of unicode" and everything's fine - as it was once!!!

Maybe it helps using an older in_mp3.dll. I think I'll try this first. (Until an option as described above is introduced by Nullsoft).

Regards kzuse
Old 30th March 2006, 15:43   #4
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Yeah, i was hoping for the almight Egg to pop his head in and supply the ini settings. Im afraid i dont know them.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 16:46   #5
kzuse

eventually he told me here... but as you can read it didn't help...
Old 30th March 2006, 19:12   #6
qwert73

If you like to convert your Tags back take "MP3 Tag".

Quote:
These are 4 different, independent players and each of them really has massive problems with those silly unicode tags
I would say: These are 4 different, independent and silly players and each of them has massive problems with unicode tags.

The next time you have a problem, keep cool!
qwert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 23:46   #7
inSaner

It might really have something to do with Unicode, but the problems seem to be much deeper, and worse!

I personally use 3 programs: MediaMonkey for organizing and tagging my collection (using part of the ID3v2 standard), Winamp for playing (using seemingly no standard at all), and ID3-TagIT3, a tool that supports everything as defined in the official ID3v1 and ID3v2.4 definitions, which I only use to check tags because every software seems to do its own thing.

I now came across problems. MediaMonkey keeps its own database of tags separately, so you can restore the tags to the MP3 files with one click, should any other program change them. I now checked again for "unsynchronized tags" and found out that several dozen files were not tagged correctly anymore. As you do in these cases, I clicked "synchronize tags" and refreshed the list. All the files were still there and MediaMonkey said that something was wrong with the tags, but couldn't tell what because all of the fields MM supports seemed to be correct.

Checking with TagIT3, I couldn't find any difference either, which surprised me because TagIT3 displays every tag supported by ID3v24, which is even more than MM knows about. Opening the files revealed that Winamp displays an album tag that I have long deleted, which couldn't be read by MM or TagIT3 anymore, only Winamp! I guess the problematic files were files whose tags I once edited with Winamp. I can find the faulty album tag in the file, but it seems to not be correct ID3, because TagIT3 CAN'T read it out. If I remove the faulty album tag again in Winamp, then all the tags are screwed up in the other applications, usually deleting half of them and adding about 20 junk characters to the end of Title, Artist and Genre at least.

So Winamp seems to create broken tags that only itself can read, which results in MediaMonkey (which by the way also uses UTF-16 codes, so I think the problem goes further than being a unicode incompatibility) noticing a discrepancy but not being able to display it, or even repair it, and the difference between what Winamp and TagIT3 (UTF-16, too) display clearly showing that there are incompatible tags somewhere.

As I do not know how to remove the faulty tags with Notepad without damaging the rest of the files, removing them with Winamp destroys the rest of the tags, and neither TagIT nor MM being able to change anything about the faulty tags either, I'm stuck with several dozen MP3 files whose tags are just plain broken, thanks to Winamp.

I really think this should be located and fixed.
inSaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:59   #8
kzuse

Thanks for your post. So it seems more people have problems with Winamps new tagging methods.

Dear developers, please make Winamp tag the files as in the versions <5.2. Or at least add an option (checkbox) that makes winamp do so.

Thank you very much! (See also my post in the Wishlist, maybe you even could add my suggestions to the official "Wishlist" thread...?)

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 2nd April 2006, 13:22   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Other players installed on my system:
Windows Media Player 10 and VLC both read Winamp tagged ID3v2 files ok. Whereas WMP6.4 and MPC don't support unicode tags and therefore just display symbols, and yup, I suppose this will be the same for portables which don't support unicode.

As you say, there's plenty of room in the in_mp3 Titles/Tags tab to add the relevant configuration which will make those ini settings I referenced in the other post work, once it's all been implemented.

And yes, I agree, this should be pretty high on the priority list.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 21:47   #10
kzuse

I really appreciate that. Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2006, 23:23   #11
loomchild

Good to hear. I have voiced the same thing in the wishlist section last week.
loomchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 20:53   #12
kzuse

Cool!

But anyway it's still not yet in the Wishlist-Thread...

But I'm really looking forward to the next Version
Old 5th April 2006, 21:19   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....44#post1901044
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion