Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 17th April 2006, 23:39   #1
DrO

Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.2 available, released 29-07-2016

Download | Changelog | Screenshots

Nullsoft Tray Control Plug-in 2.4x is part of Winamp 5.5x and above.

Cut <---------------------------------------------------------> Cut

The title says it all really (though i'd hoped to have more to test with this but that's the way it unfortunately works with my freetime [or lack off as it is] )

Adds a 'compact' icon mode (aka gen_4way implementation), reduced the compiled size despite the extra image files since i removed the unnecessary 32x32 icon images (*), few minor tweaks elsewhere but need to do some more work.

There will be a volume set of icons to be added, a combobox drop down to easily select installed icon packs (which are in the correct folder yet to be finalised for 1.1 final) and right-click on the icons will where applicable provide the opposite action ie for the next icon - left click = next, right click = previous.

Main aim for the moment is to see how this will work for the compact mode (only works on Win2k/XP hopefully).

-daz

* The system tray / notification area only seems to use 16x16 icons so it's pointless using larger ones in the icon packs. The larger ones will be used but are often auto-scaled down and often look poor so one thing to bear in mind when creating icon packs.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 10:16   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
a combobox drop down to easily select installed icon packs (which are in the correct folder yet to be finalised for 1.1 final)
I have to change the location of the .icp files in the icon pack installer, right?

Currently it looks like e.g.:

C:\program files\Winamp\tray_control\modern\

The folder "modern" contains the .ico files and the .icp file.

To be consitent, I should change the location of the .icp, so it should work better with your dropdown list.

E.g.

contains all icon files and the modern.icp is located in

C:\program files\Winamp\tray_control\

I guess this would be the best solution, can you tweak the contents of the .icp file in the plugin a little bit, that we can add relative paths e.g.:

[tray icon pack]
ico1=Modern\prev.ico
ico2=Modern\play.ico
ico3=Modern\stop.ico
ico4=Modern\next.ico
ico5=Modern\open.ico

or

[tray icon pack]
ico1=Mecury\prev.ico
ico2=Mecury\play.ico
ico3=Mecury\stop.ico
ico4=Mecury\next.ico
ico5=Mecury\open.ico

Last edited by Koopa; 18th April 2006 at 10:43.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 13:29   #3
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
Quote:
contains all icon files and the modern.icp is located in
C:\program files\Winamp\tray_control\
i said this in the wishlist, too!

bugreport:
no bugs mentioned with the compact mode

will the compact mode be skinable?

and is there any way to define the icons through winamp skin? wal and/or wsz
perhaps just add play.ico in the skins main folder or the *.icp file?

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
martin.deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 14:01   #4
DrO

Koopa: it shouldn't be needed to add in the 'Modern\' for the folder recursion since the folder enumeration will go down one folder level as required to do that (saves on having to mess around with the files )

martin: add ico6=my_bitmap_name.bmp to the icp file. if you use resource hacker to get the bmp out of the dll you'll see the layout of the image. the general setup up it's made of 8x8 segments which are then joined up as needed so it would be possible to make it have a round edge as needed (assuming the relevant parts are done in the correct order )

-daz
Old 18th April 2006, 18:49   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Koopa: it shouldn't be needed to add in the 'Modern\' for the folder recursion since the folder enumeration will go down one folder level as required to do that (saves on having to mess around with the files )
Well, then I'll change the location of the .icp files.

Test installer comming soon.. [Edit] Done

[Edit2] DrO, If I got you wrong, I've also an installer with the old location of the .icp files.

Quote:
i said this in the wishlist, too!
I'm aware about your posting in wishlist forum, but at that time, it wasn't clear, if DrO will add the dropdown feature to the tray plugin, or not.

Last edited by Koopa; 18th April 2006 at 20:52.
Old 20th April 2006, 19:18   #6
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The Nullsoft Tray Control Icon Pack installer seems to be ready, maybe one more icon pack will be added.

The installer detects your Winamp installation path and creates a new folder called "Tray_Control" in your Winamp\Plugin folder.

The Nullsoft Tray Control plugin will be tweaked, so it should be very easy to switch between the different icon packs.

The installer currently contains the seven best tray icons sets, we've found in the web.

Now, it's up to DrO, to tweak the Nullsoft Tray Control Plugin (gen_tray.dll) a little more.

Stay tunded.

I hope, they'll fix the Winamp.com website soon, so we can finally submit the pack.
Old 22nd April 2006, 23:17   #7
DrO

Beta Release

v1.1 beta 1

Changes:
  • Quick selection of packs in the 'Plugins\Tray_Control' folder (where packs are defaulted to be located
  • Tweaks to the preferences
  • Code tweaks to ensure any resources are correctly freed
  • Fixed Win95 compatability issues and correctly OS version locked certain features
  • Added opposite actions to the next and previous icons when right-clicking (so on next you'd get a previous action)
  • Whatever else i've forgotten i messed around with
And it's 8 icon packs now (though #8 may be a bit ropey )

-daz
Old 23rd April 2006, 16:50   #8
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Well done, works fine here. The interface is pretty good.

Quote:
in the 'Plugins\Tray_Control' folder (where packs are defaulted to be located
You should add the default location of icon packs in the info box.

The text "Leave this empty to use the plugin's built in icons"
is no longer needed and should be removed.

Last edited by Koopa; 23rd April 2006 at 17:38.
Old 24th April 2006, 12:26   #9
osmosis
Major Dude

thanks so much for this DrO, glad to see you're still at it.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 13:17   #10
osmosis
Major Dude

the old gen_4way.dll displayed [stopped], etc. on mouseover, will 1.1 final do this as well?

also, since the default has a white background, i threw together a "gen_4way legacy" 4-way icon pack from screens of gen_4way with some alpha transparancy.

edit: i extracted the bmp from the dll.. it's got 1-bit transparency .. but it apparantly isn't working? and also i think the back/forward are 1px off. also i fixed mine since i made it too long.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4way_legacy.zip (393 Bytes, 746 views)

Last edited by osmosis; 24th April 2006 at 15:50.
Old 24th April 2006, 22:33   #11
DrO

Koopa: yup i agree with that

osmosis: to get a transparent area with the bitmap, pink (R 255, G 0, B 255) needs to be used though the code for creating the icon from the bitmap isn't quite right i think (since i have to use an existing icon as the base for the combined version which i'd rather not do if possible).

Quote:
i think the back/forward are 1px off
in what way? since it looks fine to me.

with the [stopped] thing, i'm debating what to do still with the text for the compact mode (tempted to make it mirror near enough the text from the default winamp tray icon

-daz
Old 25th April 2006, 01:10   #12
osmosis
Major Dude

yeah. what i meant is your 1-bit (pink) transparancy didn't appear to be working, so i guess it's the code.

it does look fine, you're right, i just meant it was 1px off of the original 4way, but by the looks of it that guy had some odd ideas of centering the icons so yours might be a bit better.

i've also found that having the plugin active.. at least with my alpha trans bmp icp, destabilizes all window drawing in winamp. everything just goes crazy after awhile and only draws on mouseover and stuff, even in the id3 editor.

about the text.. 4way nearly mirrors the winamp tray text. differences are that when stopped winamp still shows the track # and name (4way just has [stopped]) and when paused 4way would show the time at which it was paused as <00:03> at the end instead of [Paused] like the default tray icon.. so i guess mirroring would pretty much do it all.

Old 25th April 2006, 14:58   #13
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
works for me!
is my iconpack included in the installer?
...and what do u think about customiziation by skins?

Old 25th April 2006, 16:05   #14
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
is my iconpack included in the installer?
Yup (just take a look at my screenshot above ), but the installer is still missing your fixed 2k icons.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:00   #15
osmosis
Major Dude

where can i download the packs from? i don't see a link.

Old 25th April 2006, 17:08   #16
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nowhere, the installer is still internal. There are still bugs with the Winamp.com website, so we have to wait. Also, icon pack number 9 isn't finnished yet. (my own)
Old 25th April 2006, 17:11   #17
osmosis
Major Dude

ah ok. well i'm not making my drawing problem up. i left the winamp window open just now with the tray control on while i took a shower and i came back and the icon had gone invisible.. winamp is displaying correctly atm, but the id3 editor is empty until i mouseover parts of it. now the icon's showing up again but it disappears and reappears intermittently, seemingly at random. and opening the ML really made things go haywire..

this is all with me only using the default set compact icon atm. on the occasions this has happened, when i'm lucky enough to get into the plugin settings and get rid of the compact icon (no icons showing) everything goes back to normal. so it's not the plugin being loaded, it's the plugin being active.

Last edited by osmosis; 25th April 2006 at 18:36.
Old 26th April 2006, 06:46   #18
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

well i'll give u the fixed icons on moday, ok?
will the iconpack be included by default with gen_tray?

Old 26th April 2006, 15:46   #19
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

here is the updated Winamp Modern Pack
try it under win2k! i've only winXP
Attached Files
File Type: rar iconpack_winamp_modern_0.2_by_martin.deimos.rar (23.3 KB, 850 views)

Old 26th April 2006, 19:08   #20
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks, I'll add it to the installer.
Quote:
will the iconpack be included by default with gen_tray?
I guess the Nullsoft Tray Control plugin 1.1 will be bundled with Winamp 5.22 and above.

The icon pack installer will be aviable for download at Winamp.com and contains only the icon packs.
Old 26th April 2006, 19:26   #21
DrO

the issue i have with the icons on win2k is that the OS is picking up the 16mil colour 16x16 icons (none of the 32x32 ones will be used in the system tray) the 256 colour 16x16 version of the icons look better though the previous, next and open versions need a bit more definition around their edges i think like the play and stop icons give.

the intention is to have the updated gen_tray in the winamp distro and the icon packs to be shipped separately. i don't know about bundling the icon packs in the installer since it is a bit of a niche feature and i don't know how the devs would feel about the related size increase to the installer (or how best to include it in the winamp installer since the one we have gives control over which icon packs are installed - trickier with the full winamp installer without causing options overload )

i'm looking to do a new beta in a day or two (i've part started on the changes people have made but bug reports with jtfe are taking precedence tonight)

-daz
Old 27th April 2006, 11:03   #22
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

i'll delete all 32x32 subicons!
and resubmit it soon.

i've also deleted all 16M subicons in my latest update, so mine should be fixed, or?

btw when will 5.22 released?

Old 27th April 2006, 21:19   #23
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by martin.deimos
btw when will 5.22 released?
when it's ready?

Quote:
Originally posted by osmosis
i've also found that having the plugin active.. at least with my alpha trans bmp icp, destabilizes all window drawing in winamp. everything just goes crazy after awhile and only draws on mouseover and stuff, even in the id3 editor.
just had this happen to me. had winamp running for an hour so i'll have to check what's happening with the image building code (since it just shouldn't mess up like that)

-daz
Old 28th April 2006, 13:43   #24
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Winamp Modern 0.3

Here is the updated version of the Winamp Modern Iconspack

no 32px subicons
better coloring for the mini mode
Attached Files
File Type: rar iconpack_winamp_modern_0.3_by_martin.deimos.rar (8.4 KB, 766 views)

Old 28th April 2006, 13:45   #25
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Winamp Classic

...and here is a winamp classic pack
+ mini mode

I think this both iconpacks should be in the dll 'cause they represent the both winamp default skins, what do u think?
Attached Files
File Type: rar iconpack_winamp_classic_by_martin.deimos.rar (4.3 KB, 726 views)

Old 29th April 2006, 10:22   #26
DrO

the new Winamp Modern icons look better on this box. as for including extra icons in the dll, i don't really want to do that since that defeats the point of icon packs. the default ones may not be nice to some but that's why i implemented the icon pack feature.

osmosis: i've tracked down the issue with the compact icon to being due to the compact icon being re-generated more often than it needed to be and the base one (that i use to generate the icon onto) and so had a nasty resource leak. that's all fixed now and i've adjusted how the icon is created to only happen when it's absolutely needed now.

beta 2 coming soon btw...

-daz
Old 29th April 2006, 10:52   #27
DrO

v1.1 beta 2

Changes:
  • UI adjustments for the information provided
  • Fixed resource leak and unwanted processing with the compact mode
  • Added volume up and down icons (to match other mods of the gen_tray code) with opposite action on right-clicking them
  • Improved icon/image unloading on exit (to actually be done since the original code didn't)
  • Compact default icon now has a white background to match the rest of the default icons
Just need to do the compact mode icon text and any bug fixes and then it' a new final version i think

[edit]
and don't forget this for those who are not using WinMe (why oh why) or XP if the icons aren't being displayed correctly

-daz
Old 29th April 2006, 16:37   #28
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nice update.

DrO, should I replace the Classic icons by Idle Sign with Martin's? Or should I add Martin's classic icons as new pack?

Don't kill me for my request, but how do you feel about a global option to disable/enable the plugin?

e.g.

[X]Enable Nullsoft Tray Control
...[_]Previous Track
...[_]Play/Pause
...[_]Stop
...[_]Next Track
...[_]Open File
...[_]Compact Mode

If the option on top is unchecked, the other options are greyed out.
Old 29th April 2006, 17:08   #29
DrO

add martin's as a different variant since his set are noticeably different.

funnily enough i had thought about an option to quickly enable/disable the plugin so we shall see...

-daz
Old 29th April 2006, 17:11   #30
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
add martin's as a different variant since his set are noticeably different.
Ok.

[Edit]Done, check mail for updated installer

Quote:
funnily enough i had thought about an option to quickly enable/disable the plugin
Lol, this is really funny.

Martin: If I would send you the other icon packs in a zip file via mail, are you able to create a compact.bmp for the other icon packs too?

[Edit]DrO, maybe there is a tiny bug. I've installed all 9 icon packs, the dropdown list just shows 8 icon packs. "Icon replacement by Xel isn't shown in the list.

Last edited by Koopa; 29th April 2006 at 18:31.
Old 30th April 2006, 12:36   #31
DrO

the 'Icon replacement by Xel' one isn't showing since the folder the installer is generating doesn't have ' by Xel' on the end of it since the plugin pulls the icp name from the foldername for the ones in the Tray_Control folder.

I've also just emailed an altered version of the license text file which i think fixes a few issues and clarifies a few bits better

-daz
Old 30th April 2006, 15:58   #32
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
the 'Icon replacement by Xel' one isn't showing since the folder the installer is generating doesn't have ' by Xel'
Thanks, I'll fix this.

The text in the info box:

"Tray icon packs consist of upto 7 files (1 *.icp, 5 *.ico and 1 *.bmp"

is no longer valid and should be changed to:

"Tray icon packs consist of upto 9 files (1 *.icp, 7 *.ico and 1 *.bmp"

Another thing. If you have specified a path to a custom icon pack, and want delete the path manually with "Del" or "Backspace" key, Winamp freezes.

Last edited by Koopa; 30th April 2006 at 17:11.
Old 1st May 2006, 11:15   #33
DrO

typo fixed, just confirmed the lockup issue though it's only in modern skins that it happens for some reason, about to look into that. also for the next beta i've remembered (this time at last) to add in the notification for when explorer crashes and restarts so the icons will be correctly re-added now

[edit]
now i can't reproduce the freeze-up

-daz
Old 1st May 2006, 11:35   #34
DrO

v1.1 beta 3

Changes:
  • Fixed typos on what's in an icon pack
  • Added in preference option to enable/disable the icons in one go (currently selected icons will still be remembered)
  • Added in explorer/system tray restart support so the icons will re-appear
  • Fixed lockup bug when entering/clearing custom icon packs (needed to add in a check for the path being a real file otherwise the parsing went into a loop, doh!)
-daz
Old 1st May 2006, 13:51   #35
DrO

v1.1 beta 4

Changes:
  • Made the tooltip for the compact icon display track number, track name, track position (and total length) and the playback state (all as appropriate)
-daz
Old 1st May 2006, 15:13   #36
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Fixed lockup bug when entering/clearing custom icon packs (needed to add in a check for the path being a real file otherwise the parsing went into a loop, doh!)
Verified.

This built is great. I'm not able to see any new bug.

With all your time and work, you've spended, you could call it Tray Control 2.0.

The changes are great, finally the plug-in is usable. Justin's old icons are ugly, but with the ability to create icon packs, I'm sure other people will use the plugin too.

Well done.
Old 1st May 2006, 20:29   #37
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
I like this handy dandy plugin. Real Cool. I see that you integrated volume controls into the tray, is there anyway to incorporate the "seek bar"? That would be awesome! Thank You.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 20:39   #38
DrO

v2.0 RC 1

Changes:
  • Fixed a slow resource leak with the compact mode (should once and for all fix osmosis's reported issue of a few builds back)
  • Fixed the prefs to show 'compact mode' again (code clean up removed it by mistake)
  • Made the preferences show the version of the plugin as well as it's name now for consistancy
Koopa: you mean like with this build?

Juanus: i take it that you're refering to something like from this? i've contemplated doing something like that but it's really down to how useful it'd be for the majority since i'd have to alter the icon pack setup even more i think to accomodate nicely something like that.

-daz
Old 1st May 2006, 20:41   #39
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Fixed the prefs to show 'compact mode' again (code clean up removed it by mistake)
Yeah, saw it as well.

You've changed the version number to 2.0, this is really a good decision. (Damn, now I've to change the readme.txt from the icon pack too )
Old 1st May 2006, 20:46   #40
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

Juanus: i take it that you're refering to something like from this? i've contemplated doing something like that but it's really down to how useful it'd be for the majority since i'd have to alter the icon pack setup even more i think to accomodate nicely something like that.

-daz
DrO, That is exactly what I mean. Thank you for the answer. It is not that big of a deal. I just filt like you were adding on, why not?
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
icon, icon pack, tray, tray control