Old 22nd February 2001, 04:02   #1
prints

How Can i just use my dial up modem instead of my cable modem
prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2001, 21:48   #2
Real Candicious

Send a message via AIM to Real Candicious
To listen: the same way you would listen to it with any kind of connection.

To stream: Doing so would be pointless. Streaming takes a fair bit of upstream bandwidth and, well, dial-up lines don't have it.
Real Candicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2001, 23:14   #3
ZiGZaG

Not Nessicarly...

IF you must use dialup, you can do it.

a) You gotta make sure that your ISP is fast enough to handle it. I've tried it on 3 different dialup services, and only 1 was able to do it with out skipping

b) You have to use Live365 to relay your stream or else its totally pointless. You could get some hosting from Wedge and others, but if you don't have cable, your probably not the type that wants to pay to stream.
ZiGZaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2001, 22:08   #4
prints

well i have a cable but i read somewere that it skips for listeners, and i read that sometimes 56k is more reliable, if so how can i stop skipping, and how can i make is so i don't have to change my isp number on live 365 everytime i relay it?
prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2001, 02:48   #5
ZiGZaG

I don't know what you were reading, but cable shouldn't skip at all as long as you set it for the proper bit rate. Basically if you run 128 and under you shouldn't have any problems. As for Live365, I haven't had any problems with them recently, but I haven't been broadcasting much anyways. You've gotta make sure that you don't broadcast any faster than your low speed listeners. Basically if you want 56k modem users to listen to it, you should be broadcasting around 24-36kbit for the best results. If you want to market specifically to broadband users, you should run at around 128kbit, but it cuts back the amount of users you can have on your server at one time. Also, Live365 only supports 56k I believe.

As for your IP, I seem to remember a company doing dns entries for Dynamic Ip people, but I'm not sure who it was.

ZiGZaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions