Old 9th March 2001, 01:27   #1
Lord tc

Send a message via AIM to Lord tc
I was just thinking, you all seem to think the competition is between Sonique and WinAMP, but I was looking around the Windows XP page and noticed that WMP 8 looks great. Could WMP 8 dominate all?

I'm just curious to see what everyone has to say about this.

Here is a picture of WMP 8.0 :

If the picture dosen't work, then goto http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/newlook.asp .
Old 9th March 2001, 01:46   #2
Someonebutnotme

wow yea, so I'm lost. This has what to do with winamp 3? I think you're in the wrong place buddy. Check the forum you're in next time before posting.

[edit]also there's no way in hell mediaplayer will be on top.[/edit]

Old 9th March 2001, 01:50   #3
Lord tc

Quote:
Originally posted by Someonebutnotme
wow yea, so I'm lost. This has what to do with winamp 3? I think you're in the wrong place buddy. Check the forum you're in next time before posting.
I think it has to do with WinAMP 3 because its a discussion of the competition.

I think I'm noticing that people are trying to get more posts by telling everyone that there topic is off the subject of WinAMP 3.
Old 9th March 2001, 01:54   #4
Someonebutnotme

i'm not going to start a petty arguement, I'm going to shut up for today at least about this topic after this. But I've noticed that people are starting pointless and/or repetitive topics (topics that have already been discussed but the people never bother to search for).

Old 9th March 2001, 02:00   #5
Lord tc

By saying you are going to shut up, you've already opened your mouth. If you don't like the topic then don't read it and don't reply to it. Your stupid bickering isn't going to help the fact that I created a topic you are unhappy with.
Old 9th March 2001, 14:47   #6
Pete2K

Send a message via ICQ to Pete2K
Well said Lord.

Yey got one more post, if i keep this up i may become Senior
Amprider or whatever you call it.
Old 9th March 2001, 15:20   #7
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

As I have said before, DO NOT USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. Don't even think about it.

Microsoft are surrepticiously trying to introduce a copy-protection system into WMP, integrated with their newer OS's. If you value your rights to blatently pirate music and get away with it, use Winamp.

Please.

Pretty please.
Old 9th March 2001, 15:22   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

On a different note...
WOW! Its.... just like Windows Media Player 7, but with window alpha-transparency!

I have personally tried WMP8, and found almost no difference between it and its predecessor.
Old 9th March 2001, 15:33   #9
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

When Microsoft comes up with a so-called good idea, the result is generally something as convenient as WMA.
The interface of WMP 8 doesn't look that bad but wtf did they make it that big ? Anyway, Winamp 3 will blow it out of the water without any problem
Old 9th March 2001, 16:50   #10
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

The only thing that looks good about WMP 8 is built-in association of pictures and info with a particular playlist or CD. That is, it seems as if you can easily set up the PL to display a picture instead of "MyFrickinHugePlaylist" or "LennyCD5". However, this sort of thing should be very easy to duplicate with the XML structure in WA3, by associating a CD pic and info w/ a particular playlist in the PL editor or media library. And given the total skinnability, actually, you could make it even more powerful, with a different component displaying the picture for each playlist, let alone a new picture/info set in the PL editor itself. Of course, that sort of thing is only for those of us with 60 GB hard drives and super processors, because can you say bloated? Seem like kind of a cool concept though... It might be cool to build a playlist context-click option "associate with image" into WA3 that could pass something to the ini file. Then a skin with an image displaying component could read the ini file and load the picture if the user so desired... like instead of the spiral in the roToR, it loads Lenny's CD cover there.

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 9th March 2001, 18:48   #11
Real Candicious

Send a message via AIM to Real Candicious
Quote:
Originally posted by RhinoTrip
The only thing that looks good about WMP 8 is built-in association of pictures and info with a particular playlist or CD.
Well, there are a few media players that can do that. MusicMatch Jukebox does it as well. But, they are both of these media players are resource killers (bloated). I personally would not sacrifice the ability to run other things at the same time for having pretty pictures.
Old 9th March 2001, 20:48   #12
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

Quote:
That llama....I want his meat.
Mmhm... I think I've finally decided I agree with that. Of course Winamp's appeal is it's small footprint. But I like the idea of having a smoothe multimedia integration, and I don't think that something like that would take up too many resources and might be a competitive option.

I'm certainly not saying that WMP 8 is unique (it's just about the biggest ripoff of match i could imagine). Plus the whole video thing is just a pain in the ass. I hear they're also including support for the new Logitech iFeel mouse, or whatever they're calling it. Yeah, iFeel too - iFeel like textured mouse movement is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. peaace -

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 9th March 2001, 21:04   #13
OO7TDD

Send a message via ICQ to OO7TDD Send a message via AIM to OO7TDD Send a message via Yahoo to OO7TDD
Windows XP is really made for people wif P4 chips so it wont be to fast on P3.

dis is from the windows xp unvailing video.

Nevermind What I Do For I'm An Ignorent Fool.
Old 9th March 2001, 21:34   #14
Species8472

Send a message via ICQ to Species8472
What I use

Quicktime 5
Media Player 6.4
Winamp 2.x

If I want to make a playlist for Quicktime with or without Media player files included I just use the handy dandy video player plug-in for winamp.

I make my own playlists from scratch for Media Player

There is ABSOLUTLY NO REASON to upgrade Media Player. All the newer versions are bloted crap. And there was no reason for Quicktime to go past 3.x in my opinion but in order to see the newer videos you need it.

This is just one mans reaction to seeing a good product take a flying leap into the crap pile.
Old 10th March 2001, 13:56   #15
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Excuse me, OO7TDD. I am running Windows Whistler (latest beta) and Windows 2000 on my dual Celeron machine (Yes. It's an Abit BP6)

Loading times (to desktop):
Win2K - 50sec
WinXP - 25sec

That, I'm sure everyone will agree, is a bloody marvellous performance increase. Very good (I never thought I'd say that of M$)
Old 10th March 2001, 15:17   #16
Dellis

Hearing is believing?

I was gonna write to ask where one could find the Media Player beta for 8, but I stopped and checked out the music sampe page first. Playing the "Brandenburg" piece through my winamp player (relevant plugins, DFX - "Concert Hall", EQ - "Large Hall"), I found that the Real Audio samples actually sound BETTER than the media 8 samples -- in that the music seemed richer in tone and I could identify a cello that I hadn't fully noticed in the wma versions.

Of course this is wholly subjective (and streaming .ram files through the Real Player generalLy DOES suck), but it'something to think about....oh, and WA3 Rulez!! (just trying to keep it relevant)

Stefan

PS: I don't suppose there's any kind of "Media Player Heaven" where I can download older versions, is there?

PPS: Umm, Species? Media Player was never all that good to begin with.
Old 10th March 2001, 16:56   #17
Shagin099

Send a message via ICQ to Shagin099
WA3 is awsome, but WMP8 can get sterio quality sound out of a 48k/s file, thats pretty good, and the only reasion i use it. The anti piracy of music wont work, or there will be a crack, just wike there will be for Windows XP RTM and already is for Office XP RTM.
Old 10th March 2001, 18:57   #18
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by RhinoTrip
Quote:
That llama....I want his meat.
Mmhm... I think I've finally decided I agree with that. Of course Winamp's appeal is it's small footprint. But I like the idea of having a smoothe multimedia integration, and I don't think that something like that would take up too many resources and might be a competitive option.

I'm certainly not saying that WMP 8 is unique (it's just about the biggest ripoff of match i could imagine). Plus the whole video thing is just a pain in the ass. I hear they're also including support for the new Logitech iFeel mouse, or whatever they're calling it. Yeah, iFeel too - iFeel like textured mouse movement is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. peaace -
i own an ifeel mouse... they are pretty good actually. But i don't keep the iFeel feature on because it makes allot of noise.
Old 11th March 2001, 01:46   #19
OO7TDD

Send a message via ICQ to OO7TDD Send a message via AIM to OO7TDD Send a message via Yahoo to OO7TDD
Quote:
Originally posted by RussGarrett
Excuse me, OO7TDD. I am running Windows Whistler (latest beta) and Windows 2000 on my dual Celeron machine (Yes. It's an Abit BP6)

Loading times (to desktop):
Win2K - 50sec
WinXP - 25sec

That, I'm sure everyone will agree, is a bloody marvellous performance increase. Very good (I never thought I'd say that of M$)
Can You Tell Me Where To Get The Beta?

Old 11th March 2001, 14:40   #20
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Beta

#WinXP on EFnet - not strictly legal, of course.
Old 11th March 2001, 14:46   #21
OO7TDD

Thanks

Thanks for given me help.

Old 11th March 2001, 15:45   #22
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Completely off topic, but i was just wondering

OO7TDD, do you ever get out? No offense or anything, but you seem to always be on these forums. I have an active social life and enjoy sport.
will

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 11th March 2001, 15:52   #23
OO7TDD

No, I don't have a social life and i don't get out much.

Old 11th March 2001, 16:48   #24
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by OO7TDD
No, I don't have a social life and i don't get out much.
You've made 50-odd posts in two days, that kinda of explains why.
will

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 11th March 2001, 18:31   #25
superrcat

No, I don't think it will dominate because in order to even HAVE WMP8, you will also have to have Windows xp. Microsoft said that they will not release WMP8 other than it being available in the final version of Windows xp because it will be intergrated and rely on Windows xp to operate. Users of Windows 2000, Me, 98 etc will have WMP 7.0, but the final verion of Windows Media Codecs 8...So, Winamp rules on.
Old 11th March 2001, 18:38   #26
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

And WMP 7 won't even run on Win95 because it's too much of memory hog. WA3 of course runs just fine.

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 12th March 2001, 01:58   #27
D&B
Banned

I think WMP is the greatest thing in the world when I want to play movies like my anime mpgs and divxs. But why would I use such a bloated piece of software for my music? Winamp is just so Godly...
Old 12th March 2001, 06:02   #28
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
I'd rather lick the llama's rear-end than even care about new multimedia software aside from WA3. My reason? I have a PII-300MHz, and it's only 2 1/2 f*ing years old. M$ and Musicmatch are fools, catering only to the ultra-powerful computer like they do. They don't seem to realize what kind of computer the average person has.

And besides, I don't want to have to buy a new processor every 3 months!

Winamp is the best thing since sliced bread, because you could probably run WA v2.72 on a PI-166...

And by the way, although I do probably sound like a loser saying all this, I feel I should point out that there is no point in discussing the competition WA is getting from MMJB and WiMP, because, frankly, THERE IS NO COMPETITION!
Old 12th March 2001, 07:30   #29
D&B
Banned

NeoRenegade, while I do agree that nothing can compare with Winamp, I do think the other players are a good think. Simply put, competition is a good thing. If it werent for Soniques wide spread interface popularity, would WA3 have free form skinning? Competition in the end is a good thing because really good features start creeping into all the software.

And I like your signature
Old 12th March 2001, 10:27   #30
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
Winamp is the best thing since sliced bread, because you could probably run WA v2.72 on a PI-166...
How about flawlessly on a P-100? (I do have 80 Megs of RAM though)

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 12th March 2001, 14:56   #31
Anders Rasmussen

Competition?

Is there going to be a competition of the lowest configurated computer that wa is running on. Well beat this:
166 MHz, 16 Megs of RAM.
Both Winamp 2.xx and WA3 executes fine
Old 12th March 2001, 16:04   #32
BillyBuerger

I've got my roomates old PC, a P100 with 16meg RAM. Winamp 2.6 (or around there) runs great on it. I could see it starting to dog if you had a playlist with thousands of songs, but the core application doesn't have any problesm. Just because you have a PC that has the speed and resources to run bloated software, doesn't mean you should design software that way. It'll bite you in the ass eventually. What could an audio player be doing that would require the latest hardware and an enourmous amount of resourses just to play a song?
Old 14th March 2001, 01:39   #33
OO7TDD

This is funny

There should be a fourm where everyone tell there PC specs. This fourm is close to it but it actually includes something i care about, WinAmp

Old 14th March 2001, 02:49   #34
bass4ms

I have a question for you guys with the 100-200MHz computers. How long does it take WA3a4 (assuming that you can run it) to load? I know people complain about 7-10 sec (which really isn't that slow), but how long does it take for you to load it? So far I have seen an almost constant 7-10 sec (I think all of the exceptions have been with Win2000) no matter what speed the computer is or how much ram it has.

Also, is anyone else really annoyed with 007TDD? Does he ever say anything even remotely intelligent or does he just post?

Although, 007TDD, good job of finally learning not to use all caps.

CIP (case in point): <http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=44482>
Old 14th March 2001, 15:43   #35
Anders Rasmussen

WA3 loads in about 30 secs for me.
Old 14th March 2001, 17:13   #36
wild_pointer

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
And by the way, although I do probably sound like a loser saying all this, I feel I should point out that there is no point in discussing the competition WA is getting from MMJB and WiMP, because, frankly, THERE IS NO COMPETITION!
Yes there is a good competition. MMJB and WMP are more for the not so good on computers people, everything is so ease on the other players.
WMP will be a good competition because it follows with every PC you'll buy and many ppl wont download a new player if the can already play their music.

But with this component system and free form skinning in Winamp3, they can have features that beginners need, like easier skins and components that'll do everything for you (like in MMJB)

just my 2kr. (No we don't use cents here in Iceland )
Old 14th March 2001, 23:27   #37
superrcat

Quote:
Originally posted by OO7TDD
Windows XP is really made for people wif P4 chips so it wont be to fast on P3.

dis is from the windows xp unvailing video.
That is not true. Windows xp is a minor upgrade from Windows 2000. It will be version 5.1.2xxx from 5.0.2195 There is no much changed except for interface changes and items that were previously available with 3rd party software. It might have "some" optimizations for the P4 instruction set, but it runs fine on a PIII, PII, and AMD.
Old 15th March 2001, 03:18   #38
BurnFEST

Send a message via ICQ to BurnFEST
Why are we even comparing??

Why are we even comparing Winamp with inferior audio apps?? Winamp is small (pixel and byte wise), fast and does just about eventhing you would ever want from an audio app, and im sure ne thingit doesnt do now, it will do in the future.
I agree with badrat that WMP is the best for playing mpegs and divx, but not WiMP7, the best version of WMP is v6.4, nething higher than that is a memory hoggin POS!!!

BTW 2.72 runs perfectly on my brothers 486 DX2/66 (half quality, but it still runs and i beleive that is the point)

WINAMP ROCKS!!

no more to say...
Old 18th March 2001, 02:37   #39
tgiii

WMP looks crappier then ever

WMP looks crappier then ever The greatest thing about winamp that made it better then the rest, WMP, musicMatch was that it was small,
Old 21st March 2001, 22:36   #40
AmpliDex
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AmpliDex Send a message via AIM to AmpliDex Send a message via Yahoo to AmpliDex
Damn Windows Media Player ain't going nowhere because WInamp 2x has already whooped WMP 7's ass and WMP 8 is not that much of an improvement. Also, even when Windows Media Player 8 gets released, Winamp 3 is going to be the best!

Webgraph

E-mail/MSN: robnet10@mail.com
Yahoo: webgraph10

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion