Old 1st September 2008, 22:00   #1
AnonymousV2

Send a message via AIM to AnonymousV2
When sorting by album, tracks not in order

I always use my Winamp library sorted by album. For albums that have the same artist, they show up how they're supposed to be, and go by the track order. However when there is a compilation album with multiple artists, it sorts by artist name instead. Is there any way to change this, because it's rather annoying.

Example:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2r3gowx.jpg
AnonymousV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:42   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Set the Album Artist field to the same non-empty value for an album, e.g. Various, Various Artists.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:57   #3
AnonymousV2

Well I have a lot of music with different artists and I was wondering if there was just a way to do this through Winamp
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:40   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
You can by setting the Album Artist filed to something non-empty. Seelct the tracks that belong to the same Album in the Media Library, right click and select "Edit Selected Items..." Add something to Album Artist.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:42   #5
AnonymousV2

That's what J_Darnley suggested, I'd rather manually editing 1000+ songs be my last resort

And I'm not talking about albums that have no artist, I'm talking about albums that have several artists; if you sort the library by album, instead of going by track numbers, it lists songs in the album alphabetically by the artist name
Old 4th September 2008, 10:51   #6
J_Darnley
Forum King

Oh god! You don't have to individually edit every file.
Select a whole album, right click, edit selected items (CTRL + E), now fill in a value for Album Artist e.g. Various, Various Artists. You can even use nothing but then if you use a covers view you will get it duplicated several times. Now does it sort how one expects?

Old 24th September 2008, 02:16   #7
FrasierTheRazor

Send a message via AIM to FrasierTheRazor
Sure

Tagging an album artist treats the symptom, but Winamp is still sick--it used to sort properly without an album artist! The sort order when sorting by album now seems to be
Album -> Album Artist (or Artist if none) -> Disc -> Track -> Artist...
Even unchecking "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" in Local Media preferences does not help.

NULLSOFT! Please fix this, or add multiple-column sorting ability!
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....55#post1880155
FrasierTheRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 12:21   #8
J_Darnley
Forum King

Re: Sure

Quote:
Originally posted by FrasierTheRazor
Tagging an album artist treats the symptom, but Winamp is still sick--it used to sort properly without an album artist! The sort order when sorting by album now seems to be
Album -> Album Artist (or Artist if none) -> Disc -> Track -> Artist...
Even unchecking "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" in Local Media preferences does not help.
Of course unchecking "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" won't help because that only alters whether the library should copy Artist into Album Artist.

Ealier versions worked differently because Album Artist did not exist. I was wrong in my previous statement because Winamp does sort files 'correctly' if the Album Artist field is empty. Granted this is a bit inconsistent because sorting works like this but covers are separated.

Old 24th September 2008, 16:49   #9
FrasierTheRazor

yes I know but as it didn't specify exactly what it did I figured I'd try. Either way the sorting order should not substitute artist for album artist. I don't know why you would say it does sort correctly, because albums should be sorted by track before artist.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:28   #10
J_Darnley
Forum King

I guess that option isn't as obvious as I though it was. I say it sorts correctly because it isn't listed as a known bug and it has been consistent since Album Artist was added. You could try reporting it as a bug but I guess it will be said that it works as expected and then be told to post in the wishlist. And what if you have two albums titled "Greatest hits"?

Old 24th September 2008, 18:37   #11
FrasierTheRazor

You apparently did not read the beginning of this thread. Sorting by Album Artist is fine. If you have two Greatest Hits albums, tag the album artists and you're good. The problem is any album with multiple artists and no Album Artist tag (a much more common case than multiple albums of the same name) will not be sorted by track. Simply not using the artist as the album artist for sorting would make it sort correctly always, except when there are multiple albums of the same name with no album artist tagged (which is relatively uncommon, and could easily be auto-tagged or auto-recognized when all the tracks in a directory are the same artist).
Old 24th September 2008, 23:44   #12
J_Darnley
Forum King

Obviously I didn't read the beginning of this thread because I did not post the first reply! When you said "track before artist", somehow I managed to read it as album artist.

Anyway, Winamp seems to be coded to sort in this order:
Album -> Album Artist -> Disc -> Track number -> Title
Regardless of what fields are shown or what order the columns are in. If you think this is a bug, you can post about it in the Bug Reports forum. If you want it to be changed then see the Wishlist forum.

Old 24th September 2008, 23:59   #13
FrasierTheRazor

As I already said before, it goes:
Album -> Album Artist (or Artist if none) -> Disc -> Track Number -> Artist...
--the "(or Artist if none)" is the problem.
I would say this is a bug, since it causes all compilation albums without an Album Artist tag to sort incorrectly. I will post a bug report if there isn't one already.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:30   #14
J_Darnley
Forum King

Quote:
--the "(or Artist if none)" is the problem.
Winamp does not do that. If album artist is empty then it moves straight onto disc.

Old 25th September 2008, 01:30   #15
FrasierTheRazor

Okay, back to the "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" option. Since this was on when I filled my library, if I show the Album Artist column it shows each track with the album artist the same as the track artist. However, since I didn't have the Album Artist column showing, I had no way of knowing this was happening, because if you go to "View file info..." or "Edit selected items..." the Album Artist is blank. This doesn't seem like the ideal effect for that option to have.

But anyways, solution to the problem: Disable "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available", select all local media, right-click, "Read metadata on selected items"
Old 2nd October 2008, 14:58   #16
Inventive Soft

This happens even when the Album Artist field is blank. To get this working correctly, I've had to select everything, Ctrl-E, tick "Album Artist", then update, in order to get multi-artist albums to display correctly. It takes a long time on big libraries (nearly 2k songs on mine), but it's the only way.

<technical stuff>I'm guessing, via this method, that it adds an "Album Artist" field in the file metadata, and then sorts it accordingly. This is a very poor way of doing it if the "Album Artist" field is not present in the file's metadata. I think a short config section in the Media Library preferences somewhere, that allows the user to sort columns as they wish, would be most welcome, rather than hard-coding defaults that appeal to most, but not all, users.</technical stuff>
Inventive Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:00   #17
FrasierTheRazor

Quote:
Originally posted by Inventive Soft
This happens even when the Album Artist field is blank.
Are you sure it's blank? The library can have an entry for Album Artist even when it is not visible in View File Info or Edit Selected Items. Did you check the Album Artist column? (See my previous post)
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:12   #18
Inventive Soft

Yep. If I re-rip a multi-artist CD with EAC and get it to apply tags, the tags are correct. "Artist" field is the only one used, and the only one I want to use (last thing I need on 2000 songs is bloat with added "Album Artist" just to get a broken feature to work properly).

The irony is, after going through the Ctrl+E, Check Album Artist, Apply procedure, there's no "Album Artist" field in the files, but it sorts correctly. Why didn't it do it previously, when the files were as-is? What gives, Winamp?
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:41   #19
J_Darnley
Forum King

Is "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" checked? Was it checked?

Old 3rd October 2008, 18:17   #20
FrasierTheRazor

and to the same end, did you check the Album Artist column in local media before you went through the Ctrl+E, Check Album Artist, Apply procedure?
Old 5th October 2009, 20:55   #21
Inventive Soft

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this problem's re-occured again since I re-ripped my CD collection losslessly to FLAC.

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
Is "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" checked? Was it checked?
It was checked, I've unchecked it and the problem still occurs.

Quote:
and to the same end, did you check the Album Artist column in local media before you went through the Ctrl+E, Check Album Artist, Apply procedure?
I don't know what gives, but it has the same contents as the "Artist" field.

I can't work out how to solve this on a Winamp level and not at the file level.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:35   #22
FrasierTheRazor

Quote:
It was checked, I've unchecked it and the problem still occurs.
Unchecking it will only affect new media added to the Library--Try selecting the affected albums and performing "Read metadata on selected items"--if that doesn't work, you'll have to remove them from your library and add them back in for it to (hopefully) work.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:42   #23
Inventive Soft

A bulk "read metadata on selected items" seems (seems is a very strong word these days) to have solved it.

Do I have to do this whenever I change settings in the Preferences related to the Media Library?
Old 6th October 2009, 11:58   #24
FrasierTheRazor

Quote:
A bulk "read metadata on selected items" seems (seems is a very strong word these days) to have solved it.

Do I have to do this whenever I change settings in the Preferences related to the Media Library?
I'm glad it worked

When you change settings related to the way the Media Library reads the metadata, yes. When you import music, it stores the song information (reading it based on the settings at the time) in its own database, so you have to tell it to update that information using the new settings. (Or at least that's how I've come to understand it.)
Old 30th January 2010, 17:49   #25
gridsleep

None of this worked for me. I resorted. I reset metadata. I cleared the entire list and scanned the folder for files again. The albums with multiple artists are still sorting alphabetically by artist name before numerically by track number. If that is hard coded into Winamp, I can't begin to fathom the stupidity of it. Simply enough, if I can't overcome this irrational behavior, I'm going to have to look for another music player. This is making me sorry that I paid money for this program. The rest of the program is brilliant. Why have this one seemingly imbecilic moment? It's like creating the best book reader ever made, except that it prefers to sort the pages of the books in alphabetical order by content instead of numerically by page number. How do you read a book if all the pages starting with the letter a are ahead of all the pages starting with letter b, regardless of the page numbers? Well, that's what Winamp is doing with these albums. It's ridiculous. I can't resolve everything that's great about Winamp with this one glaring flaw. How could it happen?

Last edited by gridsleep; 30th January 2010 at 18:07.
gridsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 23:57   #26
gridsleep

Hours later: I was able to fix a few of the albums after collecting metadata on the whole list (3378 items) and removing and reinstalling the list a few times. The first couple of times, the reload was very fast and I think it was taking it from a buffer somewhere. I made a change in the directory itself, and the reload after that took several minutes. A few of the albums were in track order then. But about twenty or more were not.

I had to select all entries in each album, put a space in the Album Artist line, save it, scan the metadata, and then remove the space from the Album artist line (I like things neat.) I did this for every album that was out of track order. Some, I had to repair things like swapped Artist and Album title, but such things were wrong from the original scan (I had copied a lot of albums from a previous directory of albums.) After all that, all the albums in the audio list are now in track order.

Would it have been so hard to have Winamp manage it properly in the first place?
gridsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 21:51   #27
Irie

Hey guys,

I'm facing the same problem: Compilation albums with different title artists ARE shown correctly in the media library as one album, as I tagged them with an uniform album artist. BUT, when I double click them to play all contained tracks, these tracks always come up in an alphabetical artists' order. Of course I want them to come up in the correct track order, like it IS working with normal albums from one artist.

You can't be serious to say that this problem's solution is the procedure that "gridsleep" went through, can you? I mean, messing around with spaces in the album artist field until it works somehow (only God knows why), isn't satisfying at all. And what about the ominous "Use Artist as Album Artist if not available" option, does it really affect this behaviour in any way? In my case, the tracks of compilation albums are always sorted alphabetically by artist, wether or not that option is checked.

I would be highly grateful if anyone could come up with a real solution to this. And I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Best regards

Irie
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support