Old 21st November 2010, 20:06   #1
Hookem

Is Winamp for me ???

I have a 1200 CD music collection that I ripped into Windows Media Player 11 for my HTPC system. Not doing and research I just let WMP 11 rip all of them as WMA's.

Then after recieving a iPod for Christmas is when the trouble started. I found out the hard way that WMP and iTunes do not play well together. I re-ripped all of my favorite CD's to MP3's in WMP 11. Then I loaded iTunes.

iTunes found all the CD's that were MP3's but unlike WMP 11 only about half of the art work found. Even signing into iTunes store a bunch of stuff it could not find most of the art work.

I am tired of the fight and am looking for something that I can rip my music to in MP3 format and have Windows Media Player and iTunes see the art work and that I can load into my laptop, personal computer, HTPC system or to my server allowing me to use iTunes for my iPod, iPhone and not having to look up the art work for half of my music collection.

Windows Media Player finds all but a few CD's artwork. Not only that I can easily transfer the music to my other computers with no issues what so ever.

iTunes however is a real pain. I have tried adding the art work manually and then copying the iTunes folder to a external hard drive. Then when I dropped the iTunes folder onto my lappy iTunes did not include the manually installed art work.

Will WinAmp Pro work like WMP 11 and catch the art work for 99% of my CD's but not only that allow me to copy it to my external drive and load it on my other computers and have iTunes load it with the art work ???
Hookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 21:26   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
itunes sucks. if your ipod is one winamp can load, use winamp with it. if not, then you're pretty much stuck trying to get itunes to work better.

WMP is pretty crapy too.

art is stored as Folder.jpg in the album folder as a hidden file by WMP. itunes refuses to use it. itunes downloads art and puts it in its own DB. pita. u could rip to mp3 with itunes, and it would find the art better b/c it had the CD reference, assuming itunes rips to mp3, (i think it does).

you could buy winamp pro, and rip with that, but it might not help your itunes art issue.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:54   #3
joebloggscity

Winamp is probably the most underrated music player around....

I've read comments like "remember Winamp that playere we all used a long time ago..."!

Winamp is to media what firefox is to the internet, brilliantly personalisable & amendable, and with things like SmartView, themes & plug-ins, you can tailor it perfectly. I've looked at practically all other media players and none come close.

I love Winamp and want to be to ensure it carries on....
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:52   #4
Jamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem View Post
I am tired of the fight and am looking for something that I can rip my music to in MP3 format and have Windows Media Player and iTunes see the art work and that I can load into my laptop, personal computer, HTPC system or to my server allowing me to use iTunes for my iPod, iPhone and not having to look up the art work for half of my music collection.
My suggestion-- use a media player just to do that, which is PLAY media. There's not really anything fancy about playing media. Any media player can do that, but many are filled with unnesscary addons (sometimes called bloatware).

If you want to rip CDs to the desired format of your choice, I suggest using software designed just for that. The best I have found is dbpoweramp. Additionally, it ranks as one of (if not the) best when it comes to metadata (including album art). It's very inexpensive and worth every penny.

You can download a copy here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:14   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

i use EAC to rip, winamp to listen on the computer and do most edits, mp3tag for complicated edits, and SBS to listen on the stereo.

i hate itunes and don't have an ipod. however, i want my files to work well for people who do use itunes/ipods, and i haven't yet figured out the best way to make that happen. art is a thorny issue, and i add comp tags with mp3tag, but its messy business.

"itunes watch folders" may help, depending on if it imports rating and art. idk.

--
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:16   #6
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
Winamp just rules been using since 2.0 versions........
evolution76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:03   #7
JanelHartmann06

winamp is the all time best software...very good one.
JanelHartmann06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:34   #8
johncampbell

so right you are janel, winamp is my all time favorite software.
johncampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:21   #9
Titus Lorkson

As far as I am concerned, I never use WMP to rip CD's, because of the restrictions it sets automatically as to digital rights (DRM).

I once had to fix a friend's computer and it has been a real pain in the a.. to remove all those DRM so that it could play anything without WMP.
Titus Lorkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 23:18   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

afaik, WMP does not add DRM on mp3 rips.

--
Old 27th April 2011, 14:22   #11
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello everyone,
since I have discovered Winamp July 22th 2010 (and the music-videos with "Winamp & Milkdrop" in YouTube already 2009), I can never imagine anymore to use another media player than my lovely Winamp 5.581 (together with the Milkdrop 2.21 Visualizations in Full HD)...
I get my WAV- and MP3-Files with "GoldWave", "Audio CD Ripper" and "Webclip to mp3 Converter". I don't use a media player to rip the CDs and I don't make online-banking, so I can never buy Winamp Pro, but it doesn't matter...
Oh yes, RULES!!! *****
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 14:27   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

why don't you use 5.61? its really improved a lot under the hood.

--
Old 31st May 2011, 17:29   #13
Accessory Geeks

Winamp is a whole lot more convenient than any other music player. However, one small thing does bother me. I use a headset with a microphone attached to it. The headset has a button for starting/stopping music and answering/ending calls. Ever since I've installed Winamp, it starts to play the music whenever I try to answer a call. It is a bit frustrating when, but it's not a big deal.
Accessory Geeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 03:05   #14
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

@MrSinatra,
I want to answer Your question now, why I did not want to use Winamp 5.61...
December 2010 I had upgraded my Winamp 5.581 with Milkdrop 2.21 to Winamp 5.601 with Milkdrop 2.23. But Milkdrop 2.23 of Winamp 5.601 did not work for me. I had read here in the Winamp-Forum, but nothing had helped. After only one day I had uninstalled Winamp 5.601 and reinstalled Winamp 5.581, and everything was good again. Milkdrop 2.21 of Winamp 5.581 works really fine...
I had to upgrade my Firefox again, at first some weeks ago from Firefox 3.6 to Firefox 4, now to Firefox 5. My Winamp-Toolbar does not work anymore in Firefox since the first Firefox-upgrade, now my FoxyTunes does also not work anymore in Firefox. The Google-Toolbar should also be deactivated now because of incompatibility, but with the "Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.8.5" from https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...orter/?src=api I can see all the 7 incompatible add-ons for Firefox now...
I have so many fears to upgrade my Winamp because of my experiences with my other upgrade and because I do not wish suddenly bugs and issues. I love my Winamp very much, Winamp is really for me, I want to use my Winamp to enjoy my music and videos (WAV, MP3, WMA, WMV, FLV...) also in the future, not only for now and in the latest months...
I never wanted to talk about my problems here, but now I have to do it, although I never wanted to look like a helpless person...
A longer discussion You will find in this thread... http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328488
I hope, I could answer Your question...
Greetings again
Old 1st July 2011, 05:04   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

in the 5.61 version history:

* Reverted: Milkdrop from v2.23 to v2.2 and AVS from v2.83 to v2.81d (for now)

--
Old 1st July 2011, 07:14   #16
DrO

Sabine Klare: the toolbar is meant to have had an update to work with FF5 i believe (would need to check the release thread) if using the new 5.62 release.

with Milkdrop, you'll probably hate that there's been another change with a v2.24 in the new 5.62 release which attempts to resolve the localisation related issues which led to the initial reversion of the Milkdrop dll in 5.61. this was due to a number of mainly German users complaining the version in 5.60x was no longer responsive / working. however the version in 5.61 was meant to be v2.2 but somehow the even buggier v2.21 (when used in a localised Winamp setup) managed to be shipped which is probably the main cause of the 5.61 experience you had.

if in doubt about a new version, always always always install into a test folder to try it out or make a backup copy of the Winamp folder so that can be used if there is a major issue or you just don't like it.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 09:08   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

@DrO,
thank You for the instructions. I will give it a try in the next days (I want to get it as 5.62.3161 and not as 5.62.3159)...
Yes, I am a German user. I have to decide between German, English or Multi-Language (the German Language Pack seems not to be available as 5.62 now). What do You recommend? It must be the full version...
I know, this is the only way to get the toolbar work again in Firefox 5 (it is dead now and does not work anymore, only some social-network-buttoms are working fine). If I get the toolbar from the 5.62 installer back, this would be very good. I have also taken a look directly to an extra toolbar installer at the top of this website, if I will not get it back from the 5.62 installer itself...
The test folder is a good idea, if it is good to have two different Winamp, if not, I will take the way with the backup copy of my Winamp folder (as option to bring it back, if I have only problems with the new Winamp and have to remove it). But I hope, that there will be no major issues...
By the way, I did also hestitate with the Firefox-Update (always these compatibility problems), not only with Winamp, until I have updated Firefox...
I will be back soon...
Greetings again
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion