Old 18th June 2001, 17:35   #1
harry416

I read somewhere that the winamp3 source code is being kept portable. Does this mean that multi-os support is in the works? I just started using linux and i find it to be a great development os for coding and its stability is top notch. If anyone knows for certain that linux or other os's will be supported in the future then please respond. Linux needs more great apps and winamp is the best media player around....if only it supported video.....

Peace..
Old 18th June 2001, 17:38   #2
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

yes.

video plugins are avaliable for wa2, and indeed will be for wa3

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 23rd June 2001, 03:27   #3
bass4ms

Since wa3 is not ported for Linux yet, does anyone know how to use WINE to load it? Also, it might help to know that I have Red Hat 7.1 (I think that it comes with WINE, at least there is a config window for it in Linuxconfig).
Old 23rd June 2001, 03:30   #4
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
Quote:
Originally posted by bass4ms
Since wa3 is not ported for Linux yet, does anyone know how to use WINE to load it? Also, it might help to know that I have Red Hat 7.1 (I think that it comes with WINE, at least there is a config window for it in Linuxconfig).
dood, if you got X working(out of the box, it usually works), just use xmms for now. It's basically WA2 ripped off(I don't think it's an official port). It uses WA2 skins and everything.

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 23rd June 2001, 09:20   #5
tunah

Send a message via ICQ to tunah
Quote:
Originally posted by s0bellzard

dood, if you got X working(out of the box, it usually works), just use xmms for now. It's basically WA2 ripped off(I don't think it's an official port). It uses WA2 skins and everything.
Yeah, but... the concept of a rectangular winamp seems so archaic
Quote:
Since wa3 is not ported for Linux yet, does anyone know how to use WINE to load it?
I don't think it came with my RH7.1, download it from http://www.winehq.org and install it.
You'll need to setup the configuration file to use your windows directories (if you have any) for dlls. As a general rule, stuff seems to be happier with native windows dlls.
Running installers to extract programs within WINE is not fun in my experience, try to get a copy of the installed wa3 folder off another computer. cd into this folder and run 'wine studio'.
Having said that, I haven't yet tried wa3 under WINE, when I do (soon) I'll let you know how it went (hehe, $postcount++ ). I did run wa2, and it was sweet.
good luck!
Old 23rd June 2001, 10:04   #6
vbdude

Does anybody know how to install Red Hat 6.2
I dont know my monitor sync levels. I tried it once
and X didnt load. LILO just tried to put me into
command line and then failed. Where can I get Red Hat
7.1 for free (or cheap)? Except downloading it?
Old 23rd June 2001, 10:19   #7
tunah

Send a message via ICQ to tunah
Quote:
Originally posted by vbdude
Where can I get Red Hat
7.1 for free (or cheap)?
If you have a local linux users group (LUG), people often sell distro CDs for cheap there. Some even occasionally have 'install-fests'
Old 24th June 2001, 00:54   #8
bass4ms

RedHat 7.1 does not come with WINE, soory.

Also, vbdude, you can download RH 7.1 for free from redhat.com (actually from one of the sites in the download section). This takes a lot of time, 4 hrs per CD with cable. I used the NASA.gov site. Also, it took 4 hrs per CD if I was downloading only one at a time, or if I was downloading all three at one time (multiple downloads at one time didn't slow down the speed). Also just download disc 1 and 2 (you need both, but the other two CD's are basically useless).

RH 7.1 worked fine the first time a loaded it, but I had lots of trouble with RH 6.2 also and RH 7.0 didn't even try to run.

[Edited by bass4ms on 06-23-2001 at 10:33 PM]
Old 24th June 2001, 05:41   #9
vbdude

I dont have the bandwidth to download it. I guess I'll have to do with Windows. *sob*
Any other way?
Old 24th June 2001, 06:42   #10
bass4ms

I don't know where you live, but there is a Best Buy near my house and they usually have the latest version of Red Hat for about $30 (this package also includes tech suport for as given time). If there is no Best Buy nearby, maybe you should check another comp. store.

PS: Hey I'm a senior member now!!!
Old 24th June 2001, 15:12   #11
Xustu

Send a message via ICQ to Xustu Send a message via AIM to Xustu
Why use winamp then

If you've got x going why not xmms? there's really not that much of a difference.
Old 25th June 2001, 13:54   #12
Real Candicious

Send a message via AIM to Real Candicious
Quote:
Originally posted by bass4ms
Let me tell you, you don't want to be using Winamp 2.x in WINE. I couldn't even get it to start, there were all kinds of problems that I don't know how to even begin to fix. The only things I've gotten working in WINE that are worth using are AIM and Winamp3. Yeah, Winamp3, an alpha release, works better than Winamp 2.x, a stable release. Who'd have thunk it?
Old 1st July 2001, 04:49   #13
shinjii

first, i cant wait to see a linux port of winamp, deinitely nothing better then it, i even use it to watch any video files that work on there, which is luckily most types
xmms is nothing compared to winamp and its more then a fair replacement, i hadnt even thought of getting winamp working in wine but i should try it now, i am using xmms so far

**********bytes.com has alot of linux distros for super cheap, mandrake 8 sells for $4, red hat should sell for around that price
honestly i say if you like a certain distro buy there boxes, mandrake and red hat basic set are both $30, which is very good for what you get(server and desktop all in one)
and it helps support them and keeps them going

if you can find your monitors manual it will have the sync levels that you need, the first time i installed linux was mandrake 6.0 and i had that problem also, and when mandrake stared i just got a screen that was way out of proportion.

a suggestion, if you dont have your manual make a best guess at your sync size until you get one that at least lets you get into red hat then find the right config file for xfree, i think its xfree86config or similar, you can search online at xfree86.org for help maybe, and you can set the rates there after the install.
for me when i tried setting the sync rates mandrake only had a few default rates for me to pick and none were right so i chose the one that was lower then what i needed then once i got into mandrake i went into the xfree86 config file and made the correct setting changes

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion