Old 18th July 2001, 22:37   #1
BillyBuerger

So has anyone else tried Winamp3 (or 2.x for that matter) on windows XP? A buddy at work just got a copy of the Windows Wistler Professional Beta. We got it setup so I put Winamp3 667 and Winamp 2.76 on it. I had Winamp3 running for about an hour and no problems. I haven't tried playing with any skins yet. I'll post if I get any interesting results.
Old 19th July 2001, 07:47   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

works just without as many crashes

XP RC1 is good but the release sounds shithouse
no java, no 3DFX drivers,

+ and - for all os's
Old 19th July 2001, 07:56   #3
chris_xx7

no java. thats becoz microsoft wont include java in windows XP. get it????ok then fuck java i dont care, it only hurt itself by suing microsft in the first place.
Old 19th July 2001, 08:13   #4
Naamloos
Forum King

Mircrosoft want other standards, that are made by them own...

they are huge and so they think they can do everything...
that's why i guess
Old 19th July 2001, 08:16   #5
Brendo_91

Send a message via ICQ to Brendo_91
no java because sun and microsoft had some legal thing. they settled out-of-court. aparrently sun didn't want to be associated with the devil anymore...
Old 19th July 2001, 08:17   #6
}}Killer Wombat{{
Banned

Location: England, currently residing in Wales, soon to be Arizona
theres probably a bible quote somewhere predicting the fall of microsoft.

Old 19th July 2001, 14:17   #7
OO7TDD

Send a message via ICQ to OO7TDD Send a message via AIM to OO7TDD Send a message via Yahoo to OO7TDD
For some reason i like microsoft products(Not there Os's). WinXp is amazingally good. I've had it running for over 2months non-stop before system resourses got too low. But its true, the charge way too much for some of them and they dont really give users the option to remain with the old version of their product.

Nevermind What I Do For I'm An Ignorent Fool.
Old 19th July 2001, 18:31   #8
scratch

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_xx7
no java. thats becoz microsoft wont include java in windows XP. get it????ok then fuck java i dont care, it only hurt itself by suing microsft in the first place.
So just download it from the Sun website. Does *everything* really have to be included in the OS?
Old 19th July 2001, 18:35   #9
scratch

Quote:
Originally posted by OO7TDD
For some reason i like microsoft products(Not there Os's). WinXp is amazingally good. I've had it running for over 2months non-stop before system resourses got too low. But its true, the charge way too much for some of them and they dont really give users the option to remain with the old version of their product.
WinNT/2K/XP is about the only good Micro$oft product out there as far as I'm concerned. Seems like they're finally getting the OS right.
Old 19th July 2001, 19:48   #10
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

There have been two interesting reports from Microsoft techs running WinXP RC1 on their laptops plugging into corporate networks to diagnose programs. It seems that the minute they try to log onto the network, the main server crashes (Win2K based net's of course). So I sure ain't upgrading yet -- RT

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 19th July 2001, 20:46   #11
deepu_s

Send a message via AIM to deepu_s
Java support in XP

dudes... java won't be natively supported in XP, but you can download it. People are making too big of a deal about this. You would be able to get the Java machine through windows update.
Old 19th July 2001, 22:03   #12
}}Killer Wombat{{
Banned

Location: England, currently residing in Wales, soon to be Arizona
it is a big deal for sun. unless it becomes an easy to find and install patch then java may die, not in the next year no, but maybe ina few, unless youre a techie you don't really search for java plugins and such, so they better make it easy to find
Old 20th July 2001, 00:19   #13
scratch

Re: Java support in XP

Quote:
Originally posted by deepu_s
dudes... java won't be natively supported in XP, but you can download it. People are making too big of a deal about this. You would be able to get the Java machine through windows update.
Windows Update? Are you sure about that? Most things I've read say you will have to get it from the Sun website, which I think will put off the average user.
Old 20th July 2001, 00:21   #14
scratch

Quote:
Originally posted by }}Killer Wombat{{
it is a big deal for sun. unless it becomes an easy to find and install patch then java may die, not in the next year no, but maybe ina few, unless youre a techie you don't really search for java plugins and such, so they better make it easy to find
I think it's very unlikely that Java will die, but this could be a serious threat to continued mainstream acceptance. And some people still say Micro$oft isn't a monopoly...
Old 20th July 2001, 01:04   #15
Tomato Face

Send a message via ICQ to Tomato Face
You can get Virtual Machine from windows update. I am running Windows XP RC1 build 2505 right now, and it runs everything wonderfully, except my Voodoo 3 that is.

One question, how do you post quotes of someone? Sorry to ask, but I'm new at the forums.
Old 20th July 2001, 08:19   #16
Naamloos
Forum King

press the quote button or use [ quote ]........[ /quote ] around (without the spaces)
Old 20th July 2001, 17:44   #17
Tomato Face

Send a message via ICQ to Tomato Face
Thanks

Thanks a bunch no*name
Old 21st July 2001, 04:48   #18
tunah

Send a message via ICQ to tunah
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomato Face
Thanks a bunch no*name
For what? You could at least quote the msg you're replying to. Damn junior members Hehe jk
Anyone who says 'just download java': once upon a time there was a nice browser called netscape navigator...
Old 21st July 2001, 07:30   #19
Brendo_91

Send a message via ICQ to Brendo_91
Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by tunah
Quote:
Thanks a bunch no*name
For what? You could at least quote the msg you're replying to. Damn junior members Hehe jk
Anyone who says 'just download java': once upon a time there was a nice browser called netscape navigator...
It now takes 30mb of ram per instance, is buggy as hell, should still be labelled as a beta and doesnt have good plugin support.

so, just download java
Old 21st July 2001, 09:00   #20
Naamloos
Forum King

Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a bunch no*name
For what?
For being nice ?
Old 22nd July 2001, 03:54   #21
lunarboy1
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by no*name
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a bunch no*name
For what?
For being nice ?
Quotes are fun

hooo boy... i'm really tired.
Old 17th August 2001, 19:54   #22
ryan0313

Send a message via AIM to ryan0313
Enough java man

No big deal so download it, things I found that I did not like about Rc1, however it is "JUST A BETA" so thats ok. One of the top woudl be activation, it is a pain and I am glad that they are taking it off so they say. Number 2 would be that although it has a nice GUI, they did kind of take the idea from Mac OS x, yet in my opion they failed, mac os x is smooth and that Aqcua ia easy on the eyes, etc.. Luna is nice howoever the limited amount of themse isnt. Blue and green to me feels like soemthign from toys r us not a multi billion dollar coorperation. It was very stable yes, but being based on Nt kernal, not as mnay win 32 apps run on it. That is one reason. And gettign rid of OpenGL I loved OpenGL that is why I deleted it because I coudlnt play COutner-Striek without OpenGL lol I know im an idiot. All in all, it is going to be a great OS, very stable, smooth, pretty fast, boots up alot quicker then Windows 2000, and for multi user it is teh best hands down to that. I mean it is so easy, and no one can veiw each others files, u can log out and keep stuff running, etc.. The itnernal CD burned worked great for me, I was using cd's just like a floppy disk so I like that. I understand it will sell for close to $200 U.S. , but if you like to pirate software, this one will be a thoughy for you!! considering .net taht is always connected to your computer when ur on internet. Will be searchign for pirated software so be careful. And you get alot more in the box. ANd since it has so many new options, that little manual no one reads, may just come in handy.......
Old 17th August 2001, 19:58   #23
ryan0313

I cant spell

Lol i know i mis spelled alot in previous reply, but typing fast
Old 17th August 2001, 21:52   #24
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
Quote:
I think it goes as follows:

And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall tremble.

from The Book of Mozilla, 3:31
(Red Letter Edition)

/*
S0be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 18th August 2001, 10:53   #25
Peter_Berre

No java in XP is a good thing

Personally i think, that microsoft not including their java VM in XP, is the best thing Microsoft has ever done for the java comunity. Finally we can write java programs, and expect them to run on windows machines.
Sound strange? Well let me try to explain the lawsuit between Sun and Microsoft. Basically Microsoft implemented a virtual machine, that was partially compliant with Java 1.1 (i believe that was the version). Partially compliant, meaning they skipped som api's and changed others, for example JNI (the api for comunicating with non java programs). Therefor, if you used certain parts of java, you'd lose the ability to run the program on windows, unless you installed another VM.
The settlement stated, that Microsoft couldn't make a VM for java newer than 1.2 (Please don't flame me for being a little off on the version numbers), which should stop Microsoft from screwing up the new stuff in java. The current Java VM standard is version 1.3, 1.4 is out in beta.
So if we could just get XP users to install sun's VM, and not Microsoft's, this should be a good thing.
Old 18th August 2001, 13:38   #26
lin_sook

don't even need to use windows update. just goto and site with java on it and the automatic installing thing will ask u if u wanan install.
Old 18th August 2001, 16:24   #27
ryan0313

Kind of off subject

But i used rc1 for about a month, liked it but missed a game called counter strike. Does anyone know if RC2 is a litle better with OpenGL if it supports it at all? I am going to install it probbaly later this evening. All in all, I would recomend all of you upgrade to windows Xp when you can. You have to remember lots of the negative things you heard, microsoft hears too and will fix them in the final relase. But as for stability and in only beta, hands down to them they built in my opion the first home user os that is great. (Home meaning 9.x/ME, not windows 2000)....
Old 19th August 2001, 21:55   #28
Martyr

Send a message via ICQ to Martyr Send a message via AIM to Martyr Send a message via Yahoo to Martyr
This is all nonsense. I run a quad-boot machine with ME, 2000 Pro, and XP RC-2 Pro, and Red Hat Linux. I can't stand any of them. I'm going back to 3.1 where the cards are animated in solitaire. Does anyone have an ancient mp3 player they can share?
Old 19th August 2001, 22:14   #29
Real Candicious

Send a message via AIM to Real Candicious
In order to satisfy all of the Windows XP zealots out there who think that this operating system is the best thing ever to come out of Microsoft, I would like to offer the following link to a screenshot.

Windows XP at its best

If you'll point your attention to the middle of this screenshot, you'll notice an nice big error message about my video card, an Nvidia GeForce2 MX. This error message was produced upon booting after the device driver for my video card entered an infinite loop, causing a blue screen indicating what happened as explained above and a system halt. I sure hope you all enjoy this pleasant experience in your copy of Windows XP. If you think that this will be fixed in future releases, think again, this is Microsoft we're talking about and that is a screenshot of Windows XP Professional Beta 2 Build 2526 (Release Candidate 2).

Also, to make this an on-topic post, I would like to say that I have tried both versions of Winamp in Windows XP and they work as well as you could ever ask for. Alpha transparency in AVS even works, huge plus.
Old 20th August 2001, 00:00   #30
scratch

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter C
This is all nonsense. I run a quad-boot machine with ME, 2000 Pro, and XP RC-2 Pro, and Red Hat Linux. I can't stand any of them. I'm going back to 3.1 where the cards are animated in solitaire. Does anyone have an ancient mp3 player they can share?
WinPlay-3 will work. heh heh heh.
Old 20th August 2001, 00:59   #31
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
im installing xp rc2 this arvo, ill post my results tommorow.

Old 20th August 2001, 15:30   #32
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
here are my findings -

IT WORKS FINE, NOT A PROBLEM.
but if you do come across a problem go into you winamp3 directory, right click studio.exe, click properties, then compatibility tab, and set it to either 2000, nt, 95, 98, or me!

ROCK ON XP!

Old 21st August 2001, 00:45   #33
RussellGreenwood

Send a message via ICQ to RussellGreenwood
oh course..

Of course it will work in XP.

99% of software that runs in 2000 works fine in XP.

I'm running RC2 build 2562, and it's fine.

The release before this was dodgy and I was getting the same error messages with my video card all the time. But since this release, everything is fine and dandy.

WA3 & WA2 rock the preverbial even on XP.

As for the java.. pfft, you could have downloaded it in the time you read all these messages.
Old 22nd August 2001, 08:20   #34
tek-bro

Send a message via ICQ to tek-bro
haha try using Windows XP Build 2600 (preRTM).
It's basically the final code with all the Activation junk
on it. I'm running it and i love it!! I think Microsoft almost
got it right this time!
Old 22nd August 2001, 08:46   #35
mc^^^^
Forum King

2600? i just got it and i got 2526... is it warez version? is anyyhing changed since 2526?

Old 22nd August 2001, 12:08   #36
danbee

Send a message via ICQ to danbee Send a message via AIM to danbee Send a message via Yahoo to danbee
Re: Enough java man

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan0313
And gettign rid of OpenGL
they got rid of openGL? whaaa!?!?! how am i gonna play quake?

:: danbee :: www.danbee.co.uk ::

"old programmers never die. they just terminate and stay resident."
Old 22nd August 2001, 15:37   #37
pyu

Send a message via ICQ to pyu
its your video card that supports OpenGL...
Old 23rd August 2001, 08:04   #38
danbee

Send a message via ICQ to danbee Send a message via AIM to danbee Send a message via Yahoo to danbee
Quote:
Originally posted by pyu
its your video card that supports OpenGL...
uh, um... good point... <crawls under desk in shame>

:: danbee :: www.danbee.co.uk ::

"old programmers never die. they just terminate and stay resident."
Old 24th August 2001, 20:44   #39
banjoe-john

Send a message via AIM to banjoe-john Send a message via Yahoo to banjoe-john
Quote:

one can only hope...
Old 25th August 2001, 13:08   #40
Tadashii
Banned

Co'mon guys, Windows xp wworks great !
the first time IE6 needs any java plugin, it downloads it automaticaly, I don't know why you guys complain about that...
and just for your information, Windows XP is a killer os, I don't know how the others can survive after christmas...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion