Old 25th August 2014, 19:51   #1
Gurrilla

Problem with ATF in Playlist

I use WinAmp 5.666. New to it. Only had it for a 2 weeks

I've been trying to change the format of how Playlist format my songs. I want the title to be first and I dont want the artist name to appear before the title, but everytime I try to change the ATF it doesnt work. it doesnt change at all. No matter what I change it to nothing changes.

Basically I want 1) Title 2) Artist 3) Album 4) Genre.
Is this correct?
[ - %title%][%artist%][ - %album%][ - %genre%]

Please help
Gurrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 20:15   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Well, the brackets around each tag mean do not show anything if the tag does not exist in the file. Are you sure the files have those tags? Open the files in the <Alt+3> tag editor.

Also check the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Library - Options tab. Make sure the "Use Library title information for Playlist Item Formatting" option is not checked.

Also use the Winamp Info Tool (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932) to make an extended report of your configuration and use the advanced reply editor to attach it to a post. That makes it easy to see if you have all the required components installed.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 15:37   #3
Lou Sander

I have the same problem. No matter what I put in the ATF, the playlists are formatted Artist - Title. All I want to see is the title.

I have disabled Internet access, because I don't want the Internet meddling with my songs. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Lou Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 20:09   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Attach a copy of your extended info report.

Old 30th August 2014, 21:19   #5
DrO

that first screenshot is from a library playlist which won't show the new ATF string unless you do a forced refresh of the playlist (the 'rebuild titles on selection' option from the 'misc' button).

i'd suspect it's the same thing for Lou Sander, though clarification would be needed. as there should also be a prompt to refresh the playlist (which is the contents of the main playlist editor when the ATF is changed - but that does not have any effect on library playlists).

and for Lou Sander's benefit, there are no internet based title lookups going on so disabling that option has no effect in this case.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 00:28   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

DrO is probably right.

The 'new' titles should appear when you actually play a song. But if you want to see the 'new' titles on all the songs in a playlist before you play them, the playlist needs to be refreshed. <Ctrl+A> is the fastest way to select all the songs in a playlist, then <Ctrl+Alt+E> (same as clicking the 'misc' command DrO is talking about) will start the refresh. Wait until Winamp has time to go thru the complete playlist. It will take several seconds for a long playlist.

@DrO,
They probably want to re-save the playlists with the new titles. This can get a little tricky depending on whether the playlists are saved as library playlists or external playlists. All my playlists are external and the "Save" button on the library playlist views is disabled. What is the recommended way to re-save library and external playlists? What I'm doing is probably not the most efficient way.

Old 31st August 2014, 00:43   #7
DrO

as long as a change is detected in the library views, such as from running the rebuild title option then the save option should be enabled - which is happening be it a Winamp managed or an external / original playlist (as i'm not aware of having to fix that functionality with the internal build).

though am thinking it'd make more sense to alter that menu item to just be 'rebuild titles' and dropping the selection part (for both the main playlist and also the library playlists) so if there's no selection then it'll work on the whole playlist (which should make things somewhat easier to update than what is currently possible).

am also thinking the overall ATF title changing should work on the library playlists as well as the main playlist contents - which is probably better handled as options on the prefs page to avoid complicating the messagebox prompt.
Old 31st August 2014, 01:22   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
am also thinking the overall ATF title changing should work on the library playlists as well as the main playlist contents ...
The titles refresh already works for playlists listed in the library playlists views, if we're talking about the same thing.

I have noticed in the library playlists views, that the sort by title command doesn't work correctly after doing a refresh. The playlist is split into 2 unequal parts (within the overall list) and each part is then sorted correctly. The entire list is sorted correctly when this is done in the playlist editor.

Old 31st August 2014, 01:28   #9
DrO

for the refresh thing, i meant having it done automatically across all playlists known to Winamp rather than just the main playlist editor. as a manual refresh works fine, is just i think it's the disparity between the two which is causing the issue here.

so that's why i've already made the change for the 'rebuild titles' action (as i've renamed the main playlist menu action to match to the library playlist way) will now work on the selection or if there's no selection, it'll work on the whole playlist (which then better matches other selection vs no selection handling in the library views).

will have to look into the sorting issue later on.
Old 31st August 2014, 01:42   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
so that's why i've already made the change for the 'rebuild titles' action (as i've renamed the main playlist menu action to match to the library playlist way) will now work on the selection or if there's no selection, it'll work on the whole playlist (which then better matches other selection vs no selection handling in the library views). ...
Sounds good. That misc command is called "Read extended info on selection" in the version we have, btw (maybe your internal build has a different name). 'Rebuild titles' is more descriptive of what's being done.

Old 31st August 2014, 01:47   #11
DrO

the internal build now uses that value instead of what went before.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:54   #12
Lou Sander

Excuse my clumsiness...I haven't quite figured out all the nuances of this forum.

Wow! What a plethora of responses.

Aminifu - The CTRL+A then CTRL+ALT+E worked for me. It changed the Artist - Title display to the Title Only that I had set as my desired format.

Dr. O - My Misc button did NOT show the options mentioned. I'm new to Winamp, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong Misc button. Mine is at the bottom of the display in the upper right hand corner.

Now I want to alphabetize by title, but I'll probably find the answer here.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:06   #13
DrO

it can depend on the skin being used as to what the 'misc' button options provide.

based on your description, it sounds like you're using one of the bento skins (especially based on the 'in the upper right hand corner' comment).

as such, that is the main playlist editor and i think you're seeing a known bug with the cache update and doing the steps you have is the known workaround to resolve it until a new Winamp client is made available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
Now I want to alphabetize by title, but I'll probably find the answer here.
there's an option on the misc -> sort menu

[edit]
muwhahaha, i've beaten Aminifu again
Old 1st September 2014, 15:07   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Lou Sander,

What skin are you using? The playlist sorting commands are also on the Playlist Editor's "Misc" button's context menu (bottom left side of the window/panel). The hotkeys (for use when the playlist editor has the focus) are:

<Ctrl+Shift+1> Sort by title
<Ctrl+Shift+2> Sort by filename
<Ctrl+Shift+3> Sort by path and filename

<Ctrl+R> Reverse list
<Ctrl+Shift+R> Randomize list

Old 1st September 2014, 16:58   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Yeah, you beat me again!

Quote:
... i think you're seeing a known bug with the cache update ...
What bug is that?

Old 1st September 2014, 17:02   #16
DrO

in some cases the cached state isn't correctly reset after an ATF settings change. doing the manual steps will work around that problem for the time being.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:26   #17
Lou Sander

I don't know what skin I'm using. I'm a technical person, but all I want is an easy way to play my songs. Winamp (and Windows Media Player and iTunes) are just too feature-laden to do what I need.

I've got a folder with 100 Western Songs that I want to listen to and share with my non-technical friends. (See about them on my fairly cool website HERE). I'd like to put the songs and a player on a CD or thumb drive and send them to my friends, who also just want to enjoy the music. All these players are just too complicated to do that, I'm afraid. Most of 'em want to "help me" with my (they assume) huge collection of music, give me proper album art, tell me what album the songs were on, etc. Don't need that, don't want it, either. Just want to deal with a reasonable number of songs -- play 'em, share 'em, and maybe do a little organizing of 'em.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:31   #18
DrO

Winamp isn't suited to everyone's needs and no player out there does that - hence the variety in players available.

as such it's most likely you should have gone with the 'lite' install as that just focuses more on playback (such as taking a folder and dumping the files from into the playlist editor - which all versions will do and is how i tend to use my Winamp install, is just how 'simple' it seems might vary) than more of the file management features which is most likely the reason behind your comment (which you'd not expanded upon when i was making my reply).

it just is unfortunate you've run into some minor quirks which make the experience less than ideal (and cannot be truly resolved until a new version appears in 2015).
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:41   #19
Lou Sander

I ran into a similar situation with my wife's interest in Old Time Radio. All she wants to do is listen to her programs (on MP3) and have an easy way of controlling her experience. It's really frustrating to have a nice array of very powerful music programs (like Winamp) that have more options and controls than the simple-minded user would ever want or learn to use.

One of my great frustrations with the players is that there's never/seldom any way to tell them to play one song and then stop. That's a pretty common thing that people want to do, yet our players don't seem to even have that feature. Sheesh!
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:49   #20
DrO

that's why there is the lite version or just de-selecting anything not wanted during the install process to strip things down even further as needed to get a pure mp3 player for example without the bells and whistles - is then just how much you can deal with the style of the skin shown.

as for 'play one song and then stop', right-click on the 'stop' button and the 'stop after current' option does just that. generally the Winamp way will often put things on right-click menus instead of shoving everything in as buttons in the UI (subject to what the skin being used has decided to do) which can often mean people don't find things (like 'stop after current') unless you're told to start right-clicking on things and all that.

and i agree that often things don't seem to be easy on how to get to find the features (if they exist) but then radically changing things often alienates the user base. and with an old program like Winamp, we're somewhat hindered by legacy concerns. but then people who keep using Winamp like it's ways, which for new users can make things somewhat daunting or they don't want to or care why something was implemented they way it was 12 years ago for example.

so it's somewhat of a tricky thing in trying to get a balance between different user types and often that's not going to work out as well as it should do due to required constraints / conflicts that can arise.
Old 2nd September 2014, 05:36   #21
Lou Sander

Thanks for the "play and stop" tip.

I agree with your other points, and I appreciate the difficulties of working with powerful software that's been around a long time.

What's needed, IMHO, is for somebody to reinvent the simple music player. Screen displays that are large and simple would be a good place to begin. All controls should be very intuitive. If there are lots of bells and whistles, they should mostly be turned off in the default installation, with the option to turn them on later. Or maybe the simple player would be better without them.

Maybe the simple player should only handle a smallish number of songs to begin with.

Think about a jukebox. Everybody knows how to work it. It plays pretty many songs. You can choose one or a bunch to play. It's got a list of its songs, and you push buttons to get them to play. Even drunks in bars can handle all the tasks.
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:38   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
I don't know what skin I'm using. I'm a technical person, but all I want is an easy way to play my songs. Winamp (and Windows Media Player and iTunes) are just too feature-laden to do what I need.
Someone has to load and setup the Jukebox.

I assume you know how to ride a bicycle. Remember how hard it was to learn, maybe you even used training wheels. Now it's so simple, you don't even think about it. You just get on and ride.

Winamp will become simple to use once you get familiar with it, and as DrO says, it can be pared down to just the basics (using the custom install mode). Winamp is the most versatile digital media player/manager available, imo. I urge you to stick with Winamp for awhile and give it a chance to grow on you. As a technical person, you will become comfortable in no time at all.

As for the name of the skin you're using, right-click on the border at the top of the overall window and look for "Skins" in the context menu shown. Point to "Skins" and there will be a 'fly-out' to the right listing "Classic Skins" and "Modern Skins". Point to one or the other and another 'fly-out' with the names of the skins available is listed. The one you're using will have a checkmark to the left of it. To change to another skin, just click on it's name.

Sometimes a little tip helps with understanding what the various controls do. Point to each control and a tip should appear. If not, press <Ctrl+P> to open the Preferences window. Look for "Skins" on the left side with "Classic Skins" and "Modern Skins" listed under it. Click on each one in turn and on the 1st tab of the tabs shown on the right will be an option you can select to display or enable tooltips.

Don't hesitate to use the various sub-forums to post questions, or suggestions, or to discuss anything Winamp related or not. The overall forum has a lot of friendly and helpful people. The forum's Search feature may help you find info already posted on things you have an interest in or would like to know.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
atf, format, playlist, title