Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 29th August 2018, 02:07   #281
Fumbling_Foo

I'd disregard both of the Mandalscope versions. Made edits that I thought would work in a particular way but didn't, reducing the aesthetics. Tried and tried to make the edits work but to no avail. AM v7c is quite good though, much better than the Mandalscope version which I compared it to.

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 04:53   #282
Fumbling_Foo

Ok, here's Mandalscope v1b. Same musicality potential as original Mandalscope but with AM v7c as the base code. Most of the changes went through, so it should be a good bit better. *crosses fingers*

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Old 29th August 2018, 08:23   #283
Fumbling_Foo

I would be greedy if I kept this latest version to myself any more. Mandalscope was supposed to be released and completed, but it had bugs. v1b is almost there, but needs to be a tad brighter, so here's v1c, intended to take the place of the original .

Old 29th August 2018, 19:32   #284
Fumbling_Foo

Ok, so finally, *finally* I discovered how to make 2 instances of winamp and compare my preset versions in real time. Quite enlightening, I'm surprised I've done as well as I have running blind with the preset without using that feature. After a lot of testing, here's a version of Mandalscope that generally tests better than AM v7c, sometimes quite surprisingly so. I'm abandoning the artistic concept of the original Mandalscope, it just didn't work out, but still there's a hint of the inspiration in this latest version. So, this is basically Acid Mandala (v7c) but better, but it was time for a name update anyways. This version is a bit more reactive than v7c like the original Mandalscope, and the patterns are generally better too, and there's better timing of light/dark modes.

Anyway, I'm quite tired of Mandalscope now after all the testing, need to take at least a week or two off development and see if there's anything else I can do. THANK YOU everyone for your patience! I'm glad to see people still downloading the latest versions.

Edit: Revisiting the old with the latest code - Harmony Nova v4.
Edit 2: More suitable wave code.
Edit 3: v4a without inversion shader.

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 29th August 2018 at 22:06.
Old 30th August 2018, 23:49   #285
Fumbling_Foo

I must release this next version now! Its has totally mind-blowing musicality ! Effortless conformity to the energy of the music, with a bit of, lets not say mystery, but eccentricity.

I take a day off and I'm already ready for another go at Mandalscope .

Old 31st August 2018, 05:49   #286
Fumbling_Foo

Just when I thought I had everything done, I find the act of submitting a version resets my perspective and I see new possibilities. The warp shader needed a slight tweak for some songs (its working just as good if not better with everything I'm throwing at it), and I found an awesome tweak for the center mandala, which looks quite a bit better now and even adds to the patterns in the periphery because the per-vertex code uses the content of the center a lot. A nice update. I've been very happy to see that most of my edits as of late have been sometimes slow but steady improvements as far as my testing can indicate. I'm flying kinda blind here with no feedback except for family, hopefully the center mandala doesn't pulsate too fast in this new version.

Again, I haven't been saying it, but cheers and enjoy !

Old 1st September 2018, 04:09   #287
Fumbling_Foo

The best version yet (i'm sure after all the testing), v2b is the best side of v2(a), all the time. Musical succulence never yet seen by the preset series. Is it (fine) art? Somebody pinch me and tell me yes. I may yet make another youtube video if I can do a better job at finding music.

Cheers and enjoy .

Old 1st September 2018, 20:22   #288
Fumbling_Foo

A long 2+ year journey of development for this preset may have finally come to an end, and I hope everyone still here along for the ride has had a lot of fun, so here goes...

The cumulative testing and side-by-side comparison has yielded v2c, with a most delicate of brightness tweaks for the occasional song that gets over-bright, while maintaining the same great look for the rest of the kinds of music. Sorry about the hundred versions of my presets; I believe that's a wrap. Some of the problematically bright songs I'm testing for YouTube are looking quite satisfactory now. So anyways, I want to do some kind of music video with this preset or make the preset a part of a lineup in a preset music video. This version will likely be a YouTube release if I get around to it, but I'm still not sure where to go or who to talk to to make it happen. Obviously what I'm doing now isn't working, but I'm sure that I have a stellar preset. Maybe there is some forum or articles I can look to for advice on choosing music that will hopefully get more views if there isn't anyone here who can help. So, without further ado for YouTube users...

Instructions
Download winamp, download this file, and copy it to the Program Files (x86)/winamp/plugins/milkdrop2/presets folder. Then, open the visualizer (keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + K), press the "L" key, and arrow down/page down until you find my preset, alphabetically sorted. You may want to increase the shuffle time to something way above 30 seconds to view presets like this one for longer (pressing space bar will switch to the next random preset).

Information about the Presets
First, let me start off with that a HUGE number of presets can be gotten from a topic I posted. Also noteworthy and not fully included in that pack are martin's presets, who is perhaps the most prolific milkdrop preset author, creating both quantity and extraordinary quality. Be sure to browse through the whole topic to find them all.

Now, about my preset. First, as stated in an above post, the preset will take a few seconds to initialize. After that is pure gold. However, the preset requires a bit of graphical horsepower to run at full speed. Also, it works best at 30fps at resolutions below 2.5k.

Over roughly the last two years, I have worked on basically a single preset. Feel free to go on a journey through this topic to see my slow but sure progress as an artist lacking real programming skills. A preset is a visual concept, usually with some manner of following the music. The limit of what these concepts can be is almost at one's imagination, and although there are classes of quality discernible, ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are many great presets worth enjoying over and over, but its virtually impossible to rank among them. My two years of working on this preset has been attempt to create one of the great presets (please enjoy ).

Like all the great presets, ignoring the hundreds of other versions of course, it is a unique preset. The guiding philosophy of Mandalscope are beat detection (or, rather, harmonizing with the energy of the music) and dynamics. It is one of the very few presets I've seen, if not perhaps the most advanced because it fully utilizes martin's harmonic beat detection married with a couple of other robust beat detection schemes, that matches the pace of and is enjoyable with any kind of music (if one likes the concept), both fast and slow, from gospel and light classical to death metal and trance, from rhythmic to no-beat.

The other basic philosophy of the concept is, within its definition and form, nearly infinite in its potential manifestations. The preset, like every other, is intended to be a work of moving art. As luck would have it, I stumbled upon and pieced together code for a mandala, something not as well developed as other great concepts in milkdrop. Its among the more straight-forward and less esoteric/mind-bending/trippy concepts, but with the potential to be very beautiful and straight-forward for beat detection.

This preset puts on a performance from start to finish, a dance per se with the music, so what ever music you listen to with the preset, try something (radically) different and see how the preset behaves differently . I've configured the preset to look as good as possible on as many songs as possible, thankfully with very little in the way of compromise, but it will look better on some songs than others, not necessarily genre-specific. It can even be used as a bit of an oscilloscope for fun with winamp's line-in feature. If the preset falters, which it will on some songs from time to time, just wait a bit and it should pick up again. Cheers and enjoy !

Old 2nd September 2018, 22:39   #289
Fumbling_Foo

I just can't end on this note for the preset; I found myself many times being disenchanted with what should have been a great preset. The preset had an enduring problem with becoming granular, then when I fixed that problems in the warp shader where things become "blobular" or repetively noisy in some songs. Fixed fixed fixed, in addition a per-vertex code improvement. This version I can end on without second guessing I'm sure. No glaring problems with any songs except sometimes goofy behavior with difficult no-beat songs.

Youtubers go to this version but refer to the previous post for info and instructions.

So cheers, enjoy, and keep enjoying winamp everyone :

Old 5th September 2018, 04:53   #290
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings again everyone, you know what that means... Yes, Mandalscope v3a. How? Why? Well, for a couple of reasons. I've been listening to some Psytrance and found v3 had some trouble with those genre's of music. A few tweaks later and its humming along like a super-sonic jet, in addition to performing better with the usual music I listen to. I love no-compromise improvements with this preset .

So, I made the color of the waveforms practically synaesthetic now, and the beat response is more forgiving for not clearing or smearing the screen, generating, well, kinda synaesthetic patterns as well. I've thoroughly tested this version and it consistently outperforms v3 in side-by-side comparisons. Not necessarily mind-blowingly so, but I'm sure it will provide a better sense of immersion, if only subconsciously.

Now, why release the preset now instead of waiting a bit longer to see if I can make even further improvements? First, its gud-nuff, but I'll release a follow-up version if I do come up with something else. Second, its for the record. A hurricane is barreling towards my general direction right now, and depending on how bad things get, a tree could fall on the house, and if the worst happens and I'm in the way of one its limbs puncturing through the roof (this actually happened in 2005 during Katrina to an old house I used to live in), then that would be a terrible shame for Mandalscope. Paranoid a bit? Yes, but why not play it absolutely safe when I've tested this version for hours and hours and hours with all kinds of music?

Anyway, here's v3a. Cheers and enjoy . Say a prayer for me that everything turns out alright with the hurricane . Oh, and I'm quite thrilled at the number of downloads for v3 !

Old 5th September 2018, 17:20   #291
Fumbling_Foo

If it weren't for the weather channel, we would have had no idea there was a huge hurricane nearby, the eye of which was just a few tens of miles away probably. All the bad stuff was north of us, and we hardly got anything but a little rain and light breezes. Didn't even lose power thankfully. So everything turned out all right and I guess I was just a bit .

Old 5th September 2018, 23:06   #292
Fumbling_Foo

I should release the next version now because it includes an important fix for a bug that may have been a major roadblock for using the preset. Here's the update, a relatively small but overall consistent improvement in its music sense and variety of patterns. GREAT screenshots. Compared and tested tested tested. Certified at about 1080p 30fps best version yet (would work even better at around 2160p at least). I've also fixed the annoying long initialiation time . Turns out a couple of second after starting, mysteriously q9 would jump up to over 1000 and take a while to reset. I found the source of the problem, but its too convoluted to fix easily, but the patch is pragmatically just as good, so ba-da-boom . So now, when sailing through a journey of presets if this one is in it it will place nicely .

Removed a lot of unnecessary commented out stuff too, smaller file size.

Finally, I've changed the name from what it is to what it does (again, not perfectly, there's a bit of a random element and not all of the information of the music gets to it, but still very good I'm sure though for some steady beat songs that can be a feature instead of a bug ). I also release this version in recognition of the amazing beat detection code of the original authors .

Old 6th September 2018, 00:33   #293
Fumbling_Foo

Ok, perhaps sometime tomorrow morning my post with the new preset version will be approved by moderation. I'm second-guessing the name though. It seems convention to look at the screen, determine what kind of form is being shown, and come up with a creative name for that form. The name describes an object of some kind.

I've strayed from that convention by instead of saying "Mandalscope", an oscilloscope mandala with kaleidoscope-like properties (it does use a kaleidoscope comp shader), a very fitting name. Saying "Musical Synaesthesia" creates the mind an idea of an experience of seeing color and form conform to the music. Yes, the preset does that, and that is pretty much the trademark of the preset which the new name brings to the forefront of attention, but the name may be too vague and actually less descriptive of what it is. A synaesthetic preset could be done with an undefined number of concepts, not just a mandala.

Anybody out there with thoughts on the new name? I know multiple opinions would be idea but posting and potentially being the only second opinion is fine too .

Old 6th September 2018, 00:54   #294
Fumbling_Foo

I should release the next version now because it includes an important fix for a bug that may have been a major roadblock for using the preset. Here's an update, a relatively small but overall consistent improvement in its music sense and variety of patterns. GREAT screenshots. Compared and tested tested tested. Certified at about 1080p 30fps best version yet (would work even better at around 2160p at least). I've also fixed the annoying long initialiation time . Turns out a couple of seconds after starting, mysteriously q9 would jump up to over 1000 and take a while to reset. I found the source of the problem, but its too convoluted to fix easily, but the patch is pragmatically just as good, ba-da-boom . So now, when sailing through a journey of presets if this one is in it it will place nicely .

The smaller file size reflects deleting a bunch of commented out code and other very old comments I made.

I've changed the name to reflect better what I believe to be a synaesthetic response to the music (again, not perfectly, there's a bit of a random element and not all of the information of the music gets to it, but still very good I'm sure though for some steady beat songs that can be a feature instead of a bug ). I also release this version in recognition of the amazing beat detection code of the original authors .

Note: Earlier I released this version under a different name (perhaps as I requested the messages will be deleted from the moderation queue).

Here is that very same version, just renamed.

Old 6th September 2018, 16:09   #295
Fumbling_Foo

Synaescope YouTube Vid: Electronica song, Sunspots, with NEW synesthetic oscilliscope mandala milkdrop visualizer

Old 7th September 2018, 23:44   #296
Fumbling_Foo

And here's v2 with better color and thus more defined patterns of the center waveforms, which can translate to better color in the periphery. Overall more colorful, especially on the more difficult no-beat soft music and vocal tracks I've tested. Again, a no-compromise improvement . Its wonderful how the color code resonates with the sin waves, winamp does an excellent job with the bass, mid, and treb values. Also, I made a change to reduce the retina-burning strobe effect. The patterns are a bit more geometric and less flash I guess, but the center waveform and the whole screen still strobes when the time calls for it .

And yes, these changes are more synesthetic as far as I can tell with my probably likely having mild synesthesia from aspergers and schizoaffective disorder. I never thought I would have had it until making this preset, there must be a method to my madness after all . On that topic, synesthesia probably varies from person to person, there is no one truth to the perception.

The way my preset renders color is very complex because of the resonances, but in a straightforward way red/cyan corresponds to bass green/magenta to mids, and blue/yellow to treble. When a threshold is crossed, a resonance with the peak or zero of a cycle of the the sine wave occurs. The raw values are finely tuned to respond consistently with particular volumes of beat and advanced beat detection variables. When the rgb channels interfere with each other, any color possible is produced, and there are resonances here too.

I just observe carefully and extensively and kinda feel it out and what I see on the screen makes sense to me, but, for the most part, its not random except for beat detection variances and time variables (which usually seem to be used simply as a clock and not a counter), at least less random now that I removed a variable interfering with the waveforms (q29 in the x= / y= part, totally unnecessary for what the speed variable was accomplishing).

One of the most difficult tasks was getting the waveforms to look better on the Youtube soundtrack for "The Splendor of Color". Now, it is tear-jerking trippy . I rate private builds astoundingly impressive to me at the time with a hundred exclamation marks. Now, I wish I could add a hundred and fifty, but the file path is too long.

Cheers and hopefully never get bored of Synaescope v2 .

Old 8th September 2018, 04:35   #297
theguywithbeats

Just remember friend, you're always the protagonist to your own story, it's just up to you to write it. You can do anything and genetics has nothing to do with it, we all have greatness inside of us. Cheers mate.
theguywithbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2018, 04:49   #298
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguywithbeats View Post
Just remember friend, you're always the protagonist to your own story, it's just up to you to write it. You can do anything and genetics has nothing to do with it, we all have greatness inside of us. Cheers mate.
Hi theguywithbeats! Long time no see, glad to see you're still following the thread .

Yeah, sometimes its disheartening when seeing my youtube videos not getting a lot of hits, but its okay I have no idea how to sell my vids, and most milkdrop vids don't get a lot of hits anyway .

Hopefully that greatness is coming out in this preset , I've persevered on it for over two years, probably approaching the 10,000 hour mark of experience. v2 is currently in the moderation queue and has some improvements .

Things are looking up otherwise, I'm happier than I've ever been with or without the preset and, eventually, plan to do something about the world I live in. I've had personal bad experiences with public education and mental health, I'd like to do something in one of those fields to improve the lives and experiences of the subjects of those systems. I already have some self-taught knowledge, but I must learn lots more and find a way in. Been too busy lately on the preset and reading "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell. He talks of the same thing, everyone regardless of their accomplishments taking part in the Hero's Journey.

Thanks again very much for giving very uplifting advice, its been a ghost town in the topic for a while .

Old 9th September 2018, 01:56   #299
Fumbling_Foo

It was more hard work, some of the hardest yet, but here's Synaescope v3. First off, the file size is smaller because the wave1 code has been being not used (instead wave2 and 3 ). I've tested this version and run side-by-side with v1 and v2 and v3 seems to easily beat out the other 2 in synaesthetics and aesthetics, so I'll go ahead and release this version. It has improved visuals and better musicality. v3 has more a more consistent profile in how it responds to sound but greater range of dynamic expression of the center waveform and periphery.

For the longest time, I wanted the color and form of my presets to not just have good beat detection but to be musically synesthetic somehow. Now, with this latest series - especially v3 -seems to have somehow finally happened. Still, I don't have any strong form of synaesthesia so I can't be an authority on whether this preset really is synaesthetic, I just rely on the code to do it for me and notice the patterns. If it is, ask, seek, knock I reckon (and practice, observe, practice, observe, rinse and repeat ).

I really had to put my nose to the grindstone to figure out just how to work on the color and pattern funk of the warp shader, allowing for evolution of the colors and texture without letting them stagnate or be crushed to black/white/neon.

The color resonances of the waveforms weren't working as intended in v1 and v2. Since the beginning of Star Forge, I've had to use 1 - ... in the color code. I believe I found a way around that and its working very nicely. This waveform especially features differences in brightness cued to the music instead of being full-throttle so much.

Now, with v3 I'm sure nearly everything I could modify is finely tuned for beat detection. Just a few tenths or hundredths of points off on a constant or variable transformation and the whole composition will be off. For the most part, that's the story of Acid Mandala v3 until now for the concept, fine tuning everything I could within the code constructs.

And yes maybe this private build gets 150 exclamation points too, I'm just used to what the preset does by now - less passion, more reason . Lots of development in a comparatively short period of time on the vraylar medicine instead of olanzapine. Its like I can go into a state of hyper-focus and just work for hours at a time.

Anyways, I know the changes have been small in the Synaescope series (v3 is a bigger change than v2.), but they're steps in the right direction for the preset I'm sure. Its also a sign the preset is nearing the end of its development, if it isn't already there with this version. No other code seems to add to the preset or enhance its beat detection, and it doesn't need any more because it runs SLOW on computers without powerful graphics cards. Its basically complete except for optimization if I can manage any and if I don't find anything buggy or out of tune. If I find any problems or oversights or manage to develop the preset further, then I'll be sure to release another version again . Until then, if then...

Cheers and enjoy Synaescope v3's improved moving art . Again, thanks everyone for your patience on this journey with me .

Old 9th September 2018, 17:50   #300
Fumbling_Foo

It was more hard work, some of the hardest yet, but here's Synaescope v3. First off, the file size is smaller because the wave1 code has been being not used (instead wave2 and 3 ). I've tested this version and run side-by-side with v1 and v2 and v3 seems to easily beat out the other 2 in synaesthetics and aesthetics, so I'll go ahead and release this version. It has improved visuals and better musicality. v3 has more a more consistent profile in how it responds to sound but greater range of dynamic expression of the center waveform and periphery.

For the longest time, I wanted the color and form of my presets to not just have good beat detection but to be musically synesthetic somehow. Now, with this latest series - especially v3 -seems to have somehow finally happened. Still, I don't have any strong form of synaesthesia so I can't be an authority on whether this preset really is synaesthetic, I just rely on the code to do it for me and notice the patterns. If it is, ask, seek, knock I reckon (and practice, observe, practice, observe, rinse and repeat ).

I really had to put my nose to the grindstone to figure out just how to work on the color and pattern funk of the warp shader, allowing for evolution of the colors and texture without letting them stagnate or be crushed to black/white/neon.

The color resonances of the waveforms weren't working as intended in v1 and v2. Since the beginning of Star Forge, I've had to use 1 - ... in the color code. I believe I found a way around that and its working very nicely. This waveform especially features differences in brightness cued to the music instead of being full-throttle so much.

Now, with v3 I'm sure nearly everything I could modify is finely tuned for beat detection. Just a few tenths or hundredths of points off on a constant or variable transformation and the whole composition will be off. For the most part, that's the story of Acid Mandala v3 until now for the concept, fine tuning everything I could within the code constructs.

And yes maybe this private build gets 150 exclamation points too, I'm just used to what the preset does by now - less passion, more reason . Lots of development in a comparatively short period of time on the vraylar medicine instead of olanzapine. Its like I can go into a state of hyper-focus and just work for hours at a time.

Anyways, I know the changes have been small in the Synaescope series (v3 is a bigger change than v2.), but they're steps in the right direction for the preset I'm sure. Its also a sign the preset is nearing the end of its development, if it isn't already there with this version. No other code seems to add to the preset or enhance its beat detection, and it doesn't need any more because it runs SLOW on computers without powerful graphics cards. Its basically complete except for optimization if I can manage any and if I don't find anything buggy or out of tune. Cheers and enjoy Synaescope v3's improved moving art . Again, thanks everyone for your patience on this journey with me .

Edit update to v3 (hopefully the previous message was somehow deleted in the mod queue):
v3 is another fix for a bug the compiler wasn't catching, and it includes optimization of the wave color code (the blue channel wasn't looking right all the time).

Also, a constant in the warp shader was about .00025 off, causing problems in some songs.

The lighting "radi" could have looked better, so tweaked and it takes a better part in the music, is less jittery, and fewer instances of being over-bright .

I've also done a slight performance optimization. I went ahead and did plenty of testing to make sure things were working as I expect they should.

Anyways, cheers and enjoy m8's .

Old 10th September 2018, 06:28   #301
Fumbling_Foo

Things are getting serious with color now. Here's v4, a multiple-update experimentally different take on Synaescope, and so far I like what I see . First, the biggest change is a HUGE change in when the preset gets brighter/darker, much more effective now (yet again just by a couple of changes). Sad music / low energy music actually generally looks dark, while higher-energy music maintains its brightness. Far more dynamic here .

Also, I adjusted the red channel of the waveforms for more (balanced) presence. And, using the borders visible in the warp shader, I was able to tune the color values of the waveform as well, and it turns out what I wrote was mostly correct .

I've also radically changed the color of the borders used in the per-frame code to make it synaesthetic as well. The borders are responsible for a large amount of color in the periphery, and I thought that the color was pretty good with Unchained's formula, but I found the colors to be somewhat random with respect to the music. With my code, the borders will look like a flashing mess of course, but they aren't visible after the comp shader's work and add more variety yet actually more musically consistent color. Also, with v3 black was still creeping in and overtaking the screen in some songs, coming from the per-frame inner/outer borders. Now black is rarely a problem and serves to complement the preset, because whenever it occurs in the warp shader its usually happening around strong enough beats to be erased. Even with that pretty much fixed, I just hope the patterns are at least as good as they are in v3; v3 did a really good job with the patterns so they may be better or worse overall in v4, but v4 definitely has some great visuals. Also because of the flashing borders the preset does more interesting things with the super-hard transitions/beats, instead of the usual white / one color stuff.

I also reduced the intensity of the generally over-bright white sheen. Still plays its part no prob though . Oh, and took out some OLD q31 code, now it can go as high as it wants without abruptly transitioning to lower values.

There really isn't much room for performance optimization I think, nothing optimizeable that's really expensive. I probably wouldn't have enough room for the additional q variables needed anyway. Oh and, on that note, interestingly the preset looked a little better with the mesh size in the plugin preferences doubled x doubled. Some finer detail when the per-vertex code activates in the warp shader. However, it runs a good bit slower on my other test machine, 9/10 -> 6/7 fps lol. Some other presets when really cranking up the mesh size actually start to run even slower than Synaescope on those settings.

So, maybe relatively big changes for the positive here. Maybe the preset is getting trippier for drugs like LSD and mushrooms (wouldn't call the preset a dmt trip though, seen them simulated) because I hear drugs are supposed to open your perception. Anyways, cheers and hopefully enjoy more than v3 .

Old 10th September 2018, 12:50   #302
Fumbling_Foo

Small but necessary edits to this version (v4 may still be in moderation queue. Brief description - big update over v3, probably biggest yet).

Removed some nasty code I put in the comp shader back in Acid Mandala v3, seems to have reduced some color blaring. New code in warp shader needed a little fine tuning (tested tested tested ).

Cheers .

Old 13th September 2018, 22:22   #303
Fumbling_Foo

deleted

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 13th September 2018 at 22:26. Reason: false alarm
Old 13th September 2018, 22:35   #304
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Ey, try to take it easy on your work, just keep the flow if it's within your reach, no need to be up to a constant update if you can't make it. Hope you're doing fine.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 23:43   #305
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Ey, try to take it easy on your work, just keep the flow if it's within your reach, no need to be up to a constant update if you can't make it. Hope you're doing fine.
Yeah, been working on private builds one step at a time but kinda too much throughout the day. Also have insomnia and got 2 hours of sleep last night, so that's wearing me down too.

I could have had a panic attack of sorts when I posted, but I deleted it because it was just silly . Just worried about some health problems the doctors are testing for. My left foot swelled up and became red, suspected a bad spider bite or fluid retention.

But, I've been keeping it together pretty well despite the stress from worries, hyper-focus, and insomnia. I'm generally happy but just a bit overstrung .

Its a bit easier lately now that I can take a break from releasing updates and just keep the best builds private for now, as the wellspring for this preset still has not run out . My last few versions except for v4 have been too similar though, but v4a is definitely a passable milestone that I can hold of until the next milestone or 2 of Synaescope. I have some really good private builds that test well against the last published version; I've even integrated martin's rigbuf beat detection to a degree, so all is well development wise, just a few nagging things I'd like to improve .

Thanks for the support , I really should take a breather and find something else to do like read that book I been meaning to . Cheers m8 .

Old 15th September 2018, 18:27   #306
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Totally, I've heard some sun is good for your skin too XD (just a bit, like 10 minutes daily)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 21:31   #307
Fumbling_Foo

I'm as pale as a ghost hehe, haunting the forums from time to time .

v5 should be nearing its release, today perhaps or perhaps next week if I find something else to work on . Just some more testing to do of a latest private build. I gotta take a break first though .

Old 16th September 2018, 06:52   #308
Fumbling_Foo

Introducing v5: This is a big enough update to warrant finally releasing a v5 after all this time and development. Here's my certified best private build, 200 exclamation marks (again, thanks everyone for your enduring tolerance of my slow (but sure (I hope)) progress ).

I made sure to do a lot more testing than usual here, especially side-by-side, and then waiting and looking for problems / potential tweaks, etc. until enough time testing passed. I made sure to give myself plenty of time to sort through the best code in the best builds, evaluating and combining their strengths, to be thoroughly sure that this version is an improvement over v4a and the best I know how to make it now. And, v5 appears to be consistently more musical and visually refined than v4a (like seemingly almost all the time).

Its been difficult nailing down a perfect formula for synesthetic color and patterns, if not impossible. There may be no way for me to do it any better with the code I'm using (martin's rigbuf beat detection might do it, but I can't figure out how to use the equalizer thingy with rgb colors) because of some degree of randomness/noise; however, the color and patterns and overall look are still the best they've ever been and are at least mostly synesthetic with some eccentricities (and almost always pretty to look at ). I've also done some fine tuning in the per-vertex, warp and comp shaders, and beat threshold to improve the visuals and evolution of patterns.

Also, although the preset is capable of near endless patterns, sometimes it could be quite repetitive for strong percussive beats because the per-vertex code is limited in what it can do, but things here are better now. The general form of the patterns especially in the periphery can repeat after a while too, but they're much better overall. I've done my best to add variety and beauty to both situations and to reflect more variety and complexity with more complex / melodic stretches of sound. So, with that, hopefully even with the eventual repetition of the preset it will remain fun for a long time .

And I have to say with the mesh at 96 x 72, even with my GTX 980 Ti GPU and AMD 8350 FX CPU I don't always get a full 30 fps LOL. Hopefully all that processing power is going to good use . If it is then this is a preset of the future hehe . I have done a little performance optimization (at least some code in the warp shader looks prettier and more condensed ), though the speed doesn't seem any faster overall for me.

If I still end up noticing a problem or room for improvement, the journey continues . Cheers .

Old 16th September 2018, 21:39   #309
Fumbling_Foo

Yes I realize now the periphery patterns are sometimes basically broken and are not as varied and interesting as they used to be. Problems in per-vertex code, working in a v5a now. Actually, I've already fixed problem with some older code that looked really good, but there are a couple of other changes I must test.

Cheers !

Old 16th September 2018, 22:21   #310
Fumbling_Foo

Here is v5a also with slightly tweaked warp and comp shaders for better visuals .

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 17th September 2018, 23:46   #311
Fumbling_Foo

I believe I have a private build a good-bit improved visually and musically over than v5a. A fair amount of testing and it seems to be performing well without issue on all the songs I've tested.

Changes in v5b: Mainly snappier, more precise beat resposne, while maintaining a not-too-fast not-too-slow pace in the periphery. Also, some refinements in the warp and comp shaders for a better looking warp shader and better visuals.

Old 18th September 2018, 01:54   #312
Fumbling_Foo

Hang on everyone before downloading v5b lol. Found some songs it was a bit too bright on, fixed . In addition, I had never used the high quality ang and rad variables before. Looks a tiny bit nicer now .

I knew I was a little bit over-eager to release v5b because, again, I'm expecting an end to development for Synaescope. Hopefully my next update, if there is one, will be a ways off after making sure everything's in check.

Cheers and enjoy .

Old 18th September 2018, 17:25   #313
Fumbling_Foo

Phew, lightning () round! V6 is ready : Mainly the patterns, color, and beat resposne are improved. Well, I guess that's pretty much everything lol .

I supercharged the musicality of the center wave-form's color and form. Also, I carefully tweaked a variable in the per-vertex code for better patterns more often. In addition, I fine-tuned the warp shader a bit for better pattern evolution. Finally, I fixed was the occasional flickering of the mandala "fins" (y'know, how many spokes the whole things has ).

Oh, and I realized I was doing the crediting wrong, updated. I've sorted the names by most amount of code included.

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 18th September 2018, 21:32   #314
Fumbling_Foo

How does it feel being stuck at five fins all the time with v6 (I can't believe I didn't notice this BEFORE submitting v6 official)? Boring? Disappointing? For me, embarrassing lol. I had no idea I'd have so much trouble with the if statement logic unlike before, but I finally fixed it after probably an hour of troubleshooting. Looks like I need a break lol .

Anyways, here's the fixed v6, no further modifications .

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 19th September 2018 at 00:28.
Old 20th September 2018, 03:19   #315
Fumbling_Foo

v6a features a slightly reduced max fin count (too many doesn't look very good), and a snappier beat detection variable for the light and shine in the comp shader. As well, I've tweaked the appearance (but not the color) of the wave code.

Also, the fins are *really* fixed this time, the logic of the flicker reduction is working properly (better than expected actually ), there's basically no flicker now. Press the "n" key to bring up a monitor in the top right corner of the number of fins curretly displaying.

Cheers and enjoy .

Old 20th September 2018, 12:50   #316
Fumbling_Foo

v6b features a tweaked shine and sheen in the comp shader for more effect, but in short the light will be a bit brighter and the preset can once again become quite bright when the music calls for it but still look good.

I've made some more attempts at fps normalization to make it behave better at 60fps.

Finally, I upgraded the pixel shader version from 2.x to 3. I heard this is supposed to look better for some presets and it might for this one. Warp shader seems a bit sharper and when it moves fast it seems to look better and more defined. If anyone has display issues with the preset now (e.g. ATI cards), please let me know . I've attempted to work around this with frac(uv) where needed.

Edit: v6c

v6c features a once again tweaked shine in the comp shader for more effect, but in short the light will be a bit brighter and more dynamic and the preset can once again become quite bright when the music calls for it but still look good.

I fixed LOTS of typos in the wave color code.

So, I will go ahead and release v6c because of its new awesomeness in some songs .

Edit: v6c updated brightness fine tuning and fins to monitor.

Cheers and enjoy .

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 20th September 2018 at 15:25.
Old 24th September 2018, 14:34   #317
Fumbling_Foo

Synaescope v7: I'll skip the technical details because I'm lazy after so much work and testing.

This version is a pretty big update. The preset has underwent a bit of a metamorphosis of musical and visual finesse. I've modified both the center waveform and the periphery. Same color code, but different behavior. Less screen clearing from strong beats, more patterns overall, and more responsive to the music / dynamics.

I've also updated the crediting. Its only fair to list the authors alphabetically; all of their code is essential for the preset .

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 25th September 2018, 04:04   #318
Fumbling_Foo

v7 was a good proof of concept, but still needed some work. A bit too bright too often for good effect, patterns sometimes not up-to-par to v6c.

So, introducing Synaescope v7a: A "light beam comp shader" brightness correction and warp shader pattern improvement patch. I'm getting some of *the* best screenshots I have ever gotten from this preset. This is a "Must. Release. Now. (before I screw it up with some errant change and never get these kinds of visuals again lol)."

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 26th September 2018, 19:22   #319
Fumbling_Foo

After extensive testing and comparing, v7b ready for release! Further improvements in the general clarity and quality of patterns and light effects. Finally, the right side of the min(..., ...) function is working now, and working great at that!

Cheers ! , , !

Old 27th September 2018, 13:52   #320
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings again everyone . I have an update for Synaescope and a (relatively) fresh new preset that should be quite fun. Its like the old Harmony Nova concept but with the new colors, patterns, and effects, 100x better .

v7c features again increased opacity of the outer border for better color and clarity of patterns. In addition, I tweaked the comp shader a bit for better performance mostly for quieter tracks. Finally, I've tweaked the beat detection slightly for the patterns as well.

Cheers and enjoy .

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets