Old 3rd November 2014, 22:10   #641
DrO

what on earth is that comment meant to mean... ?
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 03:22   #642
billgreen52

Playlist export in 5.666 or new version

Excuse me for asking. I have changed computers but used previous versions of Winamp. One feature/workflow that I really appreciated was the use of the old Yar Matey plug-in to export fresh copies of files based on a playlist. Does that still work? Will the new version incorporate something like that natively?
billgreen52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 04:26   #643
ubis122

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgreen52 View Post
Excuse me for asking. I have changed computers but used previous versions of Winamp. One feature/workflow that I really appreciated was the use of the old Yar Matey plug-in to export fresh copies of files based on a playlist. Does that still work? Will the new version incorporate something like that natively?
hmm i don't think so because the plugin was released in 2006 and DrO is now a winamp dev so maybe its already in winamp automatically
ubis122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:02   #644
DrO

billgreen52: http://www.winampplugins.co.uk/gen_yar/ should work fine with 5.666 though I don't expect to see it integrated into the new Winamp.

ubis122: the original plug-in goes back further than 2006, though that's probably around the time I started providing my fixed version.
Old 4th November 2014, 14:38   #645
Aminifu
Forum King

I can confirm that the fixed version of "Yar-matey!" works great with the current Winamp release with the 2 required plug-in updates.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 00:31   #646
H2SJaeger

So any news when Winamp is/will be coming back?
Any new info? Because I kind of want to keep using Winamp on my PC, since it's the best music player I've used.

Also: would it be possible to have a better equalizer, like PowerAmp on Android? That would be amazing, since no other PC media playback software has that beefy of an equalizer.
H2SJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 00:35   #647
DrO

/me bangs head on desk
Old 5th November 2014, 00:48   #648
GorillaCat

The pain is felt
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 00:55   #649
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SJaeger View Post
So any news when Winamp is/will be coming back?
Any new info? Because I kind of want to keep using Winamp on my PC, since it's the best music player I've used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
plans changed (due to some internal and a number of external factors) and the initial hopeful dates were always never set in stone - this is why providing ETAs is never a good thing. all that is stated now is 2015 and whether that is the start of 2015 or the end of 2015 even i don't know.
It will be coming back in 2015 (it never left)...if all goes well and people read the entire thread for the obvious answers

[EDIT] Thanks Omega X for your guidance from another dimension

Last edited by GorillaCat; 5th November 2014 at 01:20. Reason: I'm a short sighted noob
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 01:14   #650
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Coming back? Technically it never left.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:26   #651
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

I agree. I find it funny how people say 'when is it coming back?', when the current version is still available for download. Just think of it as a hiatus, rather than from the grave.

Also, Winamp works on Windows 10 TP as expected .

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 13:31   #652
Supra107

For me it's annoying. Also i noticed that people register ONLY to say "FWEN IF'S COMINF BAFK?!?!?!?!?1111111oneoneoneoneone"

JESUS PEOPLE. STOP. JUST STOP.
Supra107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:48   #653
Lemagex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFriday13 View Post
Also, Winamp works on Windows 10 TP as expected .
Of course it runs on 10, it runs on wine, it runs on xp 95 and 8. i dont think itll ever not run on any release of windows emulated or otherwise.
Lemagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 12:02   #654
DrO

it hasn't officially run on Windows 95/98/ME since v5.5 (just to clarify the statement made above).
Old 6th November 2014, 15:58   #655
Supra107

Quote:
it hasn't officially run on Windows 95/98/ME since v5.5 (just to clarify the statement made above).
But don't worry! If you want to enjoy the awesomeness of Winamp on the 9x Windows systems, just install the good old Winamp 2.95!

The Winamp asswhipping of llamas never ends!
Old 6th November 2014, 16:06   #656
DrO

i wouldn't use 2.95 (or any 2.x release) considering it's missing a lot including security fixes and the library functionality is completely lacking compared to what was available in the last Win9x compatible versions of Winamp. like the SHOUTcast view doesn't work in any 2.9x release for a while now. and really if someone is using Win9x, it's just not worth worrying about other than looking on in sadness and clinging to such an ancient OS.
Old 6th November 2014, 22:16   #657
RAMBIRD

Thank you Winamp

A very big THANK YOU
to all the Winamp team for having ensured that it survived the takeover from own owner to another.
That is as stressful and difficult as moving house or getting married.

Well done all...
I have had winamp since the 80's and now I have it on a Mac Yosemite and my Android.
I love it
RAMBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 09:55   #658
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

What's this 80's you speak of? I'm pretty sure the mp3 standard wasn't released until the 90's, and Winamp in 1997.

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:30   #659
DrO

the time travellers have just given themselves away...
Old 9th November 2014, 13:38   #660
Gonzothegreat198

TBQH, for those of us that had and enjoyed the PRO features for WAFA, it did effectively disappear. If there is a way to activate the PRO features for WAFA without it having to access the store I would love to know this, until then I will fervently wait for the return of Winamp in its entirety.
Gonzothegreat198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 15:42   #661
Supra107

Well, i am a one big piece of sh!t and i have found the Winamp Pro Serial and i downloaded the Winamp Pro .apk, so i use full potential on both of the devices.
Old 9th November 2014, 22:49   #662
DiscoMike

Winamp 2015

I am just wondering if Winamp is going to whip the Llamas Ass in 2015. I have been a fan of Winamp since 2001 and am excited to see what is in store for the next version of Winamp.
DiscoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 03:07   #663
djpete
Major Dude

lol
Hi DiscoMike..

DrO, it must be time for another pain killer...:-)

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 09:40   #664
Supra107

Yea, i'm also waiting like 9 years old kid for the Christmas, but i'm not like screaming when it's coming out, what is going to be changed, i'm just waiting and enjoying Winamp 5.666, as it's enough for me.
Old 12th November 2014, 20:02   #665
Lanonym

Winamp is so buggy yet so irreplaceable ._.

I see it has been taken off the play store. Why is that? Should we expect an updated version on the play store in parallel to its re-launch in 2015?

One thing I might add if that's the case. It ALWAYS, ALWAYS destroys the contents of saved playlists on android one way or the other. If the SD card is removed and reinserted, the contents of the playlists are gone. If the folder containing the music files is temporarily rename for whatever reason, the contents are gone. I can't even save the playlist files in order to back them up because they're 0kb in size on the sd card but somehow winamp shows the contents of the playlist when I enter them... is it stored internally or something?

Also, will we see Gracenote or something like that being reintroduced in 2015?

A big thank you for not giving up on winamp. You've done AMAZING work you can be proud of, all things considered; more power to you folks.

Best regards.
Lanonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 14:50   #666
ChiggyChiggy

While 2015 is the year of Winamp's relaunch... I dont think Radionomy has given any word on the Android version's relaunch...

Winamp for Android possibly stuck in the Void as Winamp for OS X is?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 14:05   #667
Squishy Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemagex View Post
Of course it runs on 10, it runs on wine, it runs on xp 95 and 8. i dont think itll ever not run on any release of windows emulated or otherwise.
It runs just fine in CrossOver in OS X too (which uses WINE). In fact, on HDMI audio outputs it is able to allow full use of 192/24 audio in plugins that make use of that sampling frequency such as Alpha II's SPC player (SNESAmp). It can even write to the HD/SSD at the selected frequencies and bit ranges so you can create awesome high definition VGM tracks for your favorite music player. I use the .WAV files generated instead of making them FLAC because FLAC eats my Note 2's battery life like a Snarf eats Candyfruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
While 2015 is the year of Winamp's relaunch... I dont think Radionomy has given any word on the Android version's relaunch...

Winamp for Android possibly stuck in the Void as Winamp for OS X is?
AOL's Winamp division had OS X programmers. I'm not sure if Radiotomy has OS X programmers. If they don't, it may be hard to get any - even Blizzard Entertainment can't fill its OS X positions, and it's one of the most prominent companies supporting OS X.

The big issue with Winamp Android is with KitKat and beyond. Starting with Android KitKat 4.4 apps are no longer able to write to any folder on the SD Card unless they are defaulted to using a directory on the card (hardcoded). This has made it impossible to set up music where you want it and easily make playlists with apps like My Playlist Maker Pro. Security is one thing, but Google kind of missed the mark by alienating so many users who could no longer save files where they wanted (their SD card instead of the phone/tablet's limited storage). It also killed Winamp's ability to sync over Wi-Fi. Now we have to take the SD card out and manually update it with our music on our PCs or if we're able to, mount the phone on the Mac/PC properly and transfer that way.

I'm not sure how Winamp will get any of its features back that utilize sync until Google relaxes its deathgrip on the SD Card write permissions.
Squishy Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 14:09   #668
DrO

Android 5.0 seems to resolve most of the SD card access issues.

and i'm not sure 2 people can be classed a division re: OS X devs.
Old 17th November 2014, 14:14   #669
Squishy Tia

Quote:
Android 5.0 seems to resolve most of the SD card access issues.

and i'm not sure 2 people can be classed a division re: OS X devs.
Damn that was a fast response. Get yer butt over to Blizzard and be a CM (ok you might not really like it as players are toxic, but meh...).

So basically I'll need to update to a Note 3 or 4 in order to have my write functions back. That's good to know. Perhaps it's time to change my plan with Sprint to the upgrade every year thing, since the Note 2 is EOL as of 4.4.3 as far as OS updates go without rooting it.

I guess I know what I'm giving myself for Christmas then.
Squishy Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 14:31   #670
DrO

was just lucky i was browsing at the time. i wouldn't hold me to such a purchase choice and i don't know how well the changes to things in Android 5.0 will do things (never having done Android development) but my comment is based on what i'd skim read from http://hardware-beta.slashdot.org/st...ds-great-again ~2wks back. though unless the app makes use of the changes i don't believe things are enabled auto-magically on existing apps (again that comes down to my lack of any real knowledge about Android).
Old 20th November 2014, 13:34   #671
xDR1TeK

Hi all, I have been using winamp since BPM was first introduced.
Yes I am a Dinosaur.
I feel a great affiliation with the first team of every great software maker.
Macromedia Shockwave for example.
It does tell you many things.
The beginnings are always great.
xDR1TeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 01:07   #672
DrO

As we've just passed the anniversary of the announcement, i've put up the start of a page which i think might be interesting for some -> http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/winamp_versions.html

The aim is to provide a single page detailing initially the release dates from 2.9 to the current release (which i've got most of on there but there's some of the beta / patch releases which are not at the moment).

It also shows the number of days between releases which at the time of this post puts us 12 days behind the longest interval (5.63 - 5.64 though we did have 5.7 builds - which i'm not counting).

I should also sort out some clearer stats between main point releases and things like that with further work done on the page, but just getting most of the appropriate release threads (especially the older releases) was enough work to start with.

Anyhoo, enjoy for those who like such inane information.
Old 21st November 2014, 03:11   #673
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
As we've just passed the anniversary of the announcement, i've put up the start of a page which i think might be interesting for some -> http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/winamp_versions.html

Reminds me of winampheaven.net when it existed. It was pretty cool how they/he/she had versions and dates (an commentary) of every version from the beginning.
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 11:23   #674
DrO

I don't intend to host old copies of Winamp (as that defeats my view point on the version to be used) but old sites like that is what I was thinking off. plus having things in one place makes it easier if I need to scan back through changes in older versions as happens all too often at times.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:04   #675
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

We´re all nostalgic, so we all like this kind of stuff, despite its uncertain utility =D . This comes handy for my forever-on-the-writing-article about skins..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 15:33   #676
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Wow, that list certainly disproves the common belief that Winamp's development was left to linger under AOL ownership. Until the 5.6x branch, updates were released fairly often (many only a few days apart)!

I consider myself a loyal Winamp user (I even used the 3.x branch), but I missed a lot of those early versions listed. I disabled the option to automatically check for updates long ago (before fast internet access was expanded to my neighborhood) and never turned it back on. Since I joined the forum in 2011, I hadn't missed any releases and each one delivered useful enhancements and/or bug fixes.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 15:40   #677
DrO

a lot of those few days apart are when patch releases come out (which is never ideal). is why i think one of the things i need to is do intervals between main point releases to determine a decent average between releases (which from a quick look i think is every few months). and like you note, it shows when focus shifted to WAFA.

and i think it was over 60 releases (not counting some of the re-builds) which were released in over 11.5 years (an average of a release every ~3 months).
Old 26th November 2014, 10:33   #678
Raj_09

I just read that Windows 10 will be supporting native flac format. Read here .How is that going to impact the upcoming Winamp? Is native format support better compared to plugins?
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 10:37   #679
DrO

it will most likely have zero effect on Winamp as we'd (hopefully) be using the same FLAC library anyway compared to our existing implementation (which should be hitting 1.3.1 with a lot of nice speed improvements soon). if anything, when we're back into having releases, any FLAC library changes should appear in Winamp sooner than they'd appear via the OS (unless MS are going to be more on top of such things).

and just because the OS can support it, doesn't magically mean programs will be able to use it unless they've been coded to use the multimedia framework which Winamp doesn't use (as the disparity in support over the OS versions Winamp runs on makes it simpler to just natively provide it's own versions of things).
Old 26th November 2014, 17:10   #680
billgreen52

Quote:
billgreen52: http://www.winampplugins.co.uk/gen_yar/ should work fine with 5.666 though I don't expect to see it integrated into the new Winamp.

ubis122: the original plug-in goes back further than 2006, though that's probably around the time I started providing my fixed version.
Thank you, DrO...I didn't know there was a fixed version.
billgreen52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion