Old 10th September 2014, 12:11   #1
gavin2812

Howto? sc_trans stream AAC+ to MP3

Hi all,

I haven't used sc_trans before and am really struggling to carry out a task that I understand sc_trans should be able to do.

I want to transcode a live AAC+ Shoutcast stream to an MP3 Shoutcast server.

I guess firstly, can this be done with sc_trans and secondly, can anyone kindly help me with how to set it up?

Also, should I be trying to do this via the latest Shoutcast v2 available from the 'all new!' Shoutcast site, or should I use a previous version to do it?

Thanks in advance.
gavin2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:24   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin2812 View Post
I guess firstly, can this be done with sc_trans and secondly, can anyone kindly help me with how to set it up?
sc_trans is no longer officially provided / supported so officially what you want to do with it is not possible (transcoding from something to MP3 as it requires an unlock code for MP3 encoding support).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin2812 View Post
Also, should I be trying to do this via the latest Shoutcast v2 available from the 'all new!' Shoutcast site, or should I use a previous version to do it?
we only support the v2.x DNAS directly (and more so being on the current DNAS release at the time) and is what is recommended to be used (especially so if you're considering using the deprecated legacy v1.x DNAS as it's 7+years behind the times especially for things like HTML5 audio compatibility and security fixes, etc).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 11:01   #3
hadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
sc_trans is no longer officially provided / supported so officially what you want to do with it is not possible (transcoding from something to MP3 as it requires an unlock code for MP3 encoding support).

we only support the v2.x DNAS directly (and more so being on the current DNAS release at the time) and is what is recommended to be used (especially so if you're considering using the deprecated legacy v1.x DNAS as it's 7+years behind the times especially for things like HTML5 audio compatibility and security fixes, etc).
Hello DRO

Do you know any good ways to stream from a linux server to a shoutcast server? Sc_trans was the only know of doing it i think....
hadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 11:35   #4
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi View Post
Hello DRO

Do you know any good ways to stream from a linux server to a shoutcast server? Sc_trans was the only know of doing it i think....
look up liquidsoap - the only negative thing about liquidsoap, however, is that it doesn't support the new Ultravox 2.1 protocol in DNASv2 (yet?) - However, it will connect to DNASv2 using the v1 protocol

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Last edited by jaromanda; 11th September 2014 at 13:25. Reason: clarification
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 11:43   #5
DrO

i think you need to clarify that comment... as it does work with the v2 DNAS, its that it doesn't use the v2 protocol afaik, just the v1 protocol
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 12:05   #6
hadi

Hi guys.

Should i learn scripting to be able to use liquidsoap? i googled about it a bit and it scared me off LOL.

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2014, 13:25   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i think you need to clarify that comment... as it does work with the v2 DNAS, its that it doesn't use the v2 protocol afaik, just the v1 protocol
You are, of course, correct

edited the post to clarify (I hope)

So I did
Old 11th September 2014, 13:32   #8
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Should i learn scripting
"scripting" is such a nothing term in this context ...

to use liquidsoap, yes, there is a rather steep learning curve - however, there are many examples of fully working liquidsoap scripts

Quote:
i googled about it a bit and it scared me off LOL.
don't quit before you try

So I did
Old 12th September 2014, 12:44   #9
hadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
"scripting" is such a nothing term in this context ...

to use liquidsoap, yes, there is a rather steep learning curve - however, there are many examples of fully working liquidsoap scripts

don't quit before you try
Ok! I will install liquidsoap and try to find some examples in google
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support