X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Worez
    • May 2016

Any kind of tag field support

I would like to be able to see in Winamp any kind of tag field; via Options > Preferences > Playlist > Titles > Advanced Title Formatting

Right now it is not possible to display a made-up field. You can put them in Advanced Title Formatting, but they won't really show up

And also if a MP3 file has a value in a FLAC %DATE% field, that value is not displayed in Winamp. And if a FLAC file has a value in a MP3 %YEAR% field, that value is not displayed in Winamp

And if your wondering why I'm mixing those tag fields is: because I will not choose [switch to] a tag field depending on a what kind of files I'm tagging. I use MP3s, FLACs and WVs. And in the future I might add a fourth format or replace WVs with something different. I simply can't take into account a limitation of a tag field to a certain format- it has to be universal. Also doubling [tripling?] the same data, as a workaround, would be preposterous. And I also use some tag fields made up by me

So to sum up: %ANYTHING% should be visible!
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

Are you serious? There is no way for Winamp to support a universal tagging scheme unless, and until, the various music file formats support one. You can use the existing tag fields almost anyway you want for your own private use, e.g. put a song title in the song artist field or an album name in the comments field. But how would people be able to effectively communicate with each other if everyone used the fields anyway they wanted, much less made up their own fields?

Click on the "ATF Help" link and a document should open listing the valid variables and expressions that can be used.
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Worez
      • May 2016

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
      Are you serious? There is no way for Winamp to support a universal tagging scheme unless, and until, the various music file formats support one. You can use the existing tag fields almost anyway you want for your own private use, e.g. put a song title in the song artist field or an album name in the comments field. But how would people be able to effectively communicate with each other if everyone used the fields anyway they wanted, much less made up their own fields?[...]
      Are you serious???

From what you are saying it seems that you are worried if I and my neighbor in ours MP3 / FLAC / WHATEVER THE FORMAT files have valid tag fields. Why should you care what tag fields are people using and how [and if] they decide to store information about for example:

- track number

- overall number of tracks

- disc number

- overall number of discs

In Mp3tag I can [in special cases with mapping] use [at least for MP3, FLAC and WV format] whatever fields I like or need to. And why should I for example limit my tagging experience of genres [%GENRE%] to those specified in ID3v1, describing a song as only "rock" or "disco", but not both at the same time? Or [as I really do it] with my own number code meaning "good for jogging" and another number meaning "good for kicking skinheads in the face"?

So I really do not comprehend the idea of Winamp not displaying whatever is putted in ATF in between %%. Mp3tag somehow does this without a sweat; while Winamp can't een handle official tag fields [%DATE% and %YEAR%] when they are applied to formats other than creators of those formats intended. And because of that in a mater of fact, I already do things like you mentioned: I have to use or example not important to me tag field %PUBLISHER% for storage of precise date of a live performance of a song, differentiating it from the year when the album was published, on which that song was published. As for the possible miss-communication coming out from putting there completely different info: I could write an essay about how editors make mistake or not precisesing enough info that should be later on in tags; how musician don't know how remix is different from a mix or an edit; how sometimes some artist are mentioned as a "feat." and other times it is as if the didn't existed, depending on a financial / promotional deal; etc.

So my own private tagging / nomenclature system, in at least that tag fields that I use, is more precise and true that many of those official ones. And I do work in music industry so I know what I'm talking about

And as such I simply can't take your opinion as a serious one

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

I understand your wish and why you want it. To a certain extent I can agree with it.

All I'm saying is that Winamp (and especially it's media library feature) is designed to adhere to industry standards, such as the ID3 and Vorbis tagging schemes. So yes, it tries to handle official tag fields the way the creators of those formats intended. This is not ideal for all situations, but it is a way for everyone to capture and share a set amount of metadata in a consistent manner. Until a standard that does what you want is published and accepted by whatever industry group that does this, Winamp will not support it.
        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

as to what winamp will do or not do, i can not say. things are certainly bleak as i write this.

however, winamp certainly CAN support user defined tagging, and to an extent already does. there are no real standards for most formats, and even de facto standards are pretty hard to nail down.

there is no reason at all why winamp couldn't support user defined field names. i had talked to DrO and Benski and others about this, and it was something they were considering how to do. i think there might even be some public posts about it between us.

i can say tho, its an academic debate for now. it'll be a good while before any dev works on it.
          PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
          --
          BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
          Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
          Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Worez
            • May 2016

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
            [...]All I'm saying is that Winamp (and especially it's media library feature) is designed to adhere to industry standards[...]
            Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
            [...]winamp certainly CAN support user defined tagging, and to an extent already does. there are no real standards for most formats, and even de facto standards are pretty hard to nail down.

there is no reason at all why winamp couldn't support user defined field names
            This could be defined by user

By default only "genuine" tag fields would be allowed. And if someone knows what [s]he is doing, then that person can unblock made up tag fields in ATM, by selecting yet another box

Comment

• Wineroz
              • Oct 2018

After two year I still consider this to be the single most important feature that is missing from Winamp, which restricts me awfully in what I do and can do with Winamp beaing used as my main audio player

[I have lost access to my old Worez account]

Comment

• MrSinatra
                Forum King
                • Dec 2004

Clever bot.
                PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                --
                BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• NJK
                  FRISIAN
                  • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
                  Clever bot.

not clever enough to escape the famous Ban Hammer.
                  latest version of Winamp
                  DSP Plug V2.41
                  Language Packs

Comment

Working...
                  X