Author: PeterK.
    Type: Modern Skin
    File Extension: wal
    SHA-1: C2395D09B14194D22A268E348F7C48DA8139D760
    Size: 5 MB

Changelog:

- added: Add Own Background feature to CD Coverflow
    - added: Vinyl Record

- fixed: Light Reflection (Opacity) -> CD case - 80 %/60%/40% - did not work due to wrong container name in the script file

- changed: got rid of "state off" for album covers - they do not get dimmed anymore
    - changed: default color theme from "Wheat" to "Light Cyan"
    - changed: size of small displays from 19 pixel height to 26 on main windows: Playlist Editor, Media Library, Video and Visualizations

Download Link: Here.

Enjoy!

Additional notes:

1. Compact Disc logo from Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...c_wordmark.svg
    2. Vintage effect: https://ya-webdesign.com/image/vinyl...ng/878971.html
    3. Vinyl label: https://www.pinterest.de/splendidcor...record-labels/
    (For the next release I am going to have my own "special effects" bitmap files - I just wanted to share this version with you as soon as possible. )
    Attached Files
    Quinto Black CT
  • ariszlo
    Major Dude
    • Jun 2015

Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
    For the next release I am going to have my own "special effects" bitmap files - I just wanted to share this version with you as soon as possible.
    Poor guys, they can only be proud of their bitmaps being used in Quinto only for a month or so.
    Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• Dr.Flay
      • Mar 2013

Quite a jump in size from the last one I installed, so I optimised the PNGs.
      My version of the wal file is now 4309 KB
      You can save a fair bit overall, probably more with a better optimiser. I used old PNG Gauntlet.
      My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• ChozoSR388
        • Sep 2018

Oooh! Love the Vinyl option!

Comment

• PeterK.
          Quinto Black CT Developer
          • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
          Poor guys, they can only be proud of their bitmaps being used in Quinto only for a month or so.
          Do I detect some kind of sarcasm in your note? Huh?

Not even for one month - right now I am not planning on adding anything new to the upcoming version, and I am almost finished with modifications (see attached screenshots) right now - hence the next release could be imminent.

Oh, there is something I need to talk to you about - it is loudspeakers. Adding such feature would not be anything new in a skin but I found out how to have perfect quality even after resizing loudspeakers. Perfect clear and sharp at any dimensions. Curious how?

Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
          Quite a jump in size from the last one I installed, so I optimised the PNGs.
          My version of the wal file is now 4309 KB
          You can save a fair bit overall, probably more with a better optimiser. I used old PNG Gauntlet.
          Please do not!
          I do not spend hours (literally!) day after day drawing gorgeous bitmap files so you can run them through a "crush"-machine and rape them. Yes, it is rape, look for yourself:

"Crushing a PNG" means always removing/deleting/changing pixels - with other words making the image ugly. It is not 1990 - I can assure you that nowadays PC's are definitely capable of handling a 5 (in words: FIVE!!!) MB small file. And as soon as you open the Visualizations window you might see that Winamp uses more than 100MB of your RAM. And you saved how much? 1 (in words: ONE!!!) MB? Is it worth it? I really doubt it!

Originally Posted by ChozoSR388 View Post
          Oooh! Love the Vinyl option!
          And I am not done yet! As you can see on the attached screenshots I completely redesigned the compact disc case/jewel and the compact disc as well. In addition to this the vinyl's label is this time "self-made" - not a "stolen" image off the internet. And I even like it more than the "Clover" original.

P.S. I removed the NO ART COVER layers for those screenshots. So normally you would see them once you play a song without any covers saved.
          Attached Files
          Quinto Black CT

Comment

• PeterK.
            • Sep 2016

Does someone know if I may use such logos as SONY and COMPACT DISC in my skin? Is there anything I have to pay attention to/keep in mind?
            Quinto Black CT

Comment

• ariszlo
              Major Dude
              • Jun 2015

Compact disc should be all right because patents expire after 20 years. I'm not sure about Sony but all Winamp skins that have Sony in their names have got away with it so far (e.g. Sony Media Tower).
              Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• PeterK.
                • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
                ... I'm not sure about Sony but all Winamp skins that have Sony in their names have got away with it so far ...
                How do you know this? Maybe they are still in jail? LOL
                Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Dr.Flay
                  • Mar 2013

Meh, I am not ever going to see the bitmaps at that scale, so as long as in use there is no perceivable difference and it does not effect the performance or stability, I am more than happy with the optimisation.

Even your original hand made bitmaps are presented by a series of red, green and blue dots at varying luminescence, so unless you have control of my GFX card and monitor, it will look however it looks at my end.
                  I don't have colour profiles for all my monitors or calibration software so your skin already looks different on my PCs, as it will for every one else.

Using a decent optimiser tool allows you to pick different types of algorithm, so you have the options to not induce new artefacts. RIOT is handy for that as you can look at the changes at a massively zoomed in level while trying out the different optimisations.

I have to assume you didn't try a less abusive routine with PNG Crush, or just did it with whatever the defaults are.

Shame developers of this era don't value optimisation. This is why cumulatively with all the hundreds of DLLs and EXEs running in the average session we need such a silly amount of RAM just to host an OS.
                  A meg here, a half meg there, it all adds up because everyone behaves like they are the only 1 doing it.

I understand you are protective of your work, but at no point did I force sexual intercourse between me and the bitmaps.
                  Using the word rape like that does not do justice to those that have actually suffered real rape.
                  Have a go at me by all means but don't resort to BS.
                  My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• garetjax
                    Candyass
                    (Major Dude)
                    • Apr 2001

hey DrF.

I use optimizations all the time in all my apps,skins,gfx...well, maybe not in 'all'; but, very nearly all. As for my skins and work I always work towards the smallest file-size with the greatest fidelity.

Though, each person is as unique and different in how they build and design as their are cups to drink tea with.
                    1001skins.net |
                    That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk.

Comment

Working...
                    X