Old 23rd July 2016, 23:15   #1561
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ok guys, come on, u both have valid points. it has been a long time Egg, and while i have no doubt in what u've said and so on, one does wonder how much longer? the 3 things u wanted done: CD burning, tag lookups, and jtfe (those 3, right?), aren't even imo, good reason to not release the version u seem to be enjoying.

at the same time, i don't think anyone needs to get personal. it was a bit strong Ryerman.

we all want the same thing. and given that DrO is clearly working on a competitor (of sorts) it would be better to get something out now, again, imo.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=389698

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 23:16   #1562
zardoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
My credibility is diminished by the lack of information?
I'm the only one giving any info/updates, aren't I?
I'd hate to know what you think of everyone else then

Winamp 5.8 Beta
Old 24th July 2016, 02:10   #1563
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Winamp 5.8 Beta
Click image for larger version

Name:	wa58.jpg
Views:	3946
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	52486  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 10:57   #1564
Hanschke

nice Photoshop
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 11:05   #1565
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Hanschke

Trust me, my original isn't.
I would never do anything like that.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 14:12   #1566
DJ-Garybaldy

Way I see it is...

You're either with Winamp or your not... Its great to see a new version being worked on.

I still can't understand all the negativity... the new version will be released when its ready its the same with ALL software... Even major software sometimes takes years between new releases.

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 00:44   #1567
papahuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Garybaldy View Post
Way I see it is...

You're either with Winamp or your not... Its great to see a new version being worked on.

I still can't understand all the negativity... the new version will be released when its ready its the same with ALL software... Even major software sometimes takes years between new releases.
Hasn't it been Years already?? A beta program would be nice, or some-kind of demo or something maybe a video to showcase what they are working on. So far it's been complete silence and just a bunch of speculation.
papahuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 11:28   #1568
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Hasn't it been Years already??
We've been patiently waiting over a year now for a new release of RadioDJ... I don't hear anyone moaning or whinging about that taking so long.

IF Winamp 5.8 takes DJ Egg another few months to perfect I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

5.666 works OK so where's the issue? Heck I even have it working on Linux under .wine

Old 26th July 2016, 05:36   #1569
Jaci Dream

To all those who have taken over the task of resurrecting WinAmp:

MUCHO MAHALO'S!!!!!!

I'm an old fart who LOVES WinAmp and still using it (v.5.666).... keep up the great job !!

Forrest in SoCal
Jaci Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 05:07   #1570
M3wThr33

Send a message via ICQ to M3wThr33 Send a message via AIM to M3wThr33 Send a message via Yahoo to M3wThr33
You only get one chance with a first impression.

It's best to get it right.

If we outlawed pianos, only outlaws would be pianists.
M3wThr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 14:45   #1571
MYstIC G

Send a message via ICQ to MYstIC G
Quote:

Winamp 5.8 Beta
Old 1st August 2016, 04:12   #1572
Enismirdal

Another of those once-a-month silent reader types here. Been using Winamp for so long I can't really remember, and it's still my favorite-and-only player for everything audio and video.

I can honestly say I am looking forward to seeing a new version and very much support DJ Egg, but so far, 5.666 still does literally everything I want.

Routing every file extension I have through the dshow decoder, with an appropriately-configured codec pack, it plays everything from my mp3 collection to a wide variety of video files, softsubs and all, with nary a glitch to be found.

Personally, I would ideally like to see a JTFE-type playlist search in a new build, as that's all I really use of JTFE, but it won't be a dealbreaker if it's absent. A better way of managing filetypes associated with input plugins might be nice too, as the dshow list is very nearly at that field's character limit.

However! As long as a new version supports more-or-less the same setup I use now, I'll be one of the first on the bandwagon, however long it takes to get here.
Enismirdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 06:18   #1573
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enismirdal View Post
Routing every file extension I have through the dshow decoder, with an appropriately-configured codec pack, it plays everything from my mp3 collection to a wide variety of video files, softsubs and all, with nary a glitch to be found.
I'm surprised you are using it for video files, there are better programs for video playback (VLC is considered the best, but lately I've been using the Win10 Films & TV app almost exclusively).

But yeah, I agree about a new version. It would be awesome if it supported Opus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)) out of the box as well.

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 18:10   #1574
darkhell666

Hello, i'm "married" with winamp since 1999 (2.7x as far i'm remember), was love at first sight and i'm still loving it ; is marvelous to see that the best player is still alive and kicking, just take your time to make a good release.

Thanks for your work
darkhell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:00   #1575
ramdan

Thnnks for information I like It
ramdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:10   #1576
Enismirdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFriday13 View Post
I'm surprised you are using it for video files, there are better programs for video playback (VLC is considered the best, but lately I've been using the Win10 Films & TV app almost exclusively).

But yeah, I agree about a new version. It would be awesome if it supported Opus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)) out of the box as well.
Thought someone might mention that! I do have VLC, Media Player Classic, and Kodi, but I still prefer Winamp for the interface, and like having a single media player.

It works just fine so long as it doesn't have to rely on any of the built-in plugins. Since I only use the directshow input plugin, my codec pack does the heavy lifting, and winamp just acts as a display.

Regardless of my preferences, I agree that any new version needs to have a wide base of up-to-date codec and container support out of the box, though I assume that's already planned.

Also, I really don't recommend my own setup, it's terribly silly and possibly slightly mad.
Enismirdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:11   #1577
Caserio

Hi everyone !

I'm really enthusiastic about those recent news ! I'll keep an eye on this topic

Winamp 4 ever
Caserio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:50   #1578
DJ Kalamazoo

DJ Egg, you really whip the llama's ass! Good luck on the future release.

As a general question to the board, I am a longtime winamp user who recently purchased a mac. I'm wondering what my options are for using winamp on that machine. Will I have to install windows 10 using bootcamp in order to run it or is there a simpler way?

Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Every media player I have tried for apple products is garbage.
DJ Kalamazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:57   #1579
synthetiq

Yeah back to the good ol' days of beta testing! I Wanna try the new toy!! Thanks!
synthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 23:02   #1580
tsunami

Winamp Forever, I look forward to the new build, till then I will continue using the current build
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 02:13   #1581
andrewheard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Garybaldy View Post
We've been patiently waiting over a year now for a new release of RadioDJ... I don't hear anyone moaning or whinging about that taking so long.
5.666 works OK so where's the issue?
5.666 doesn't work for me on 64-bit Windows10 - the columns don't sort when you click on any Media Library column header. Was fine as a 32-bit EXE. Seems to be a known issue. I raised it once & got no useful replies, but others also have the same issue.
andrewheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 02:24   #1582
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewheard View Post
5.666 doesn't work for me on 64-bit Windows10 - the columns don't sort when you click on any Media Library column header. Was fine as a 32-bit EXE. ...
Sounds like there's an incongruety with the Windows Common Controls API between the versions of Windows. Very frustrating for a developer to find a work-around and to implement for specific platforms. I'm not surprised nobody on the dev team has adressed it.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 03:27   #1583
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
That's because it's not a common issue? I am running windows 10 64-bit v1511 and as I mentioned twice before, sorting works just perfectly on my computer.

The funny thing is that all of andrewheard's posts is just about how he can't sort, he hasn't answered my questions nor posted in the bug section to see if someone can help. No Joke, all 4 of his posts is in "Winamp News" and basically just complains about the same thing "I can't sort in the media library"

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 05:12   #1584
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Yeah, sorting works fine here, always worked, even though I keep installing / reinstalling Winamp every once in a while to test stuff. Hell, Winamp even survived the Anniversary update.. XD

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 10:29   #1585
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post

The funny thing is that all of andrewheard's posts is just about how he can't sort, he hasn't answered my questions nor posted in the bug section to see if someone can help. No Joke, all 4 of his posts is in "Winamp News" and basically just complains about the same thing "I can't sort in the media library"
PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair)

If Andrew really wants a media library that sorts properly (as he states it) then there are plenty of alternatives these days...

When I said Winamp is working OK for me I meant it was playing music/streams Ok which is all I need it for these days. I don't use the media library in Winamp (never have)

I have all my songs in a database in other software these days.

Old 6th August 2016, 17:21   #1586
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Yeah, sorting works fine here, always worked, even though I keep installing / reinstalling Winamp every once in a while to test stuff. Hell, Winamp even survived the Anniversary update.. XD
Winamp's media library sorting is working for me too. I'm using Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586, 494), the Anniversary update hasn't got to me yet thru the normal update process. I've only been using Windows 10 for 2 weeks, but I think I'm gonna like it (after a little tweaking).

I had over 300 programs installed under Windows 7 and all but 1 utility made it thru the upgrade process without being removed. I did have to reinstall my AV app (after disabling Windows Defender) and my sound card driver to get my 5.1 speakers working correctly. All of my programs I've checked so far are running as they did under Windows 7. I do have to reset my custom volume levels after a reboot for my individual programs, system sounds, and individual speakers, but this is a known Windows 10 Volume Mixer issue that should get fixed in time.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 04:09   #1587
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewheard View Post
I raised it once & got no useful replies, but others also have the same issue.
Well have you posted about this in it's proper thread, or did some simple trouble shooting; Like uninstalling then reinstalling Winamp and enabling every skin & plugin you use 1 by 1 to check for the cause of this? You're kind of just poking at it with a stick a this point if you haven't.

Also many thanks to Victhor for fixing the cPro2 - Winamp for Mac Sync skin a while ago.

Making a super dope user image for Windows 10 in Photoshop or Illustrator? Make it 448x448 to minimize artifacting from compression.
ReactOS - My Winamp Wishlist - Custom EQ - Playlists missing tracks on Android (Fixed?)
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 09:48   #1588
Meaney

Checking in...

Hello. Another one, here: long-time user (c. 1998) just popping in to catch up on progress.

Super props to DJ Egg for keeping this project alive. I just upgraded to Win10 and thought—since it seemed Winamp development may have stalled/been abandoned—that I'd finally try another music player which might possibly replace the ol' beloved Winamp. Tried MusicBee. Uninstalled. Credit where it's due, but you need an undergraduate degree to configure the layout. Afraid I may even have offended the sole developer (poor overworked bastard) in the forums by complaining about the terrible UX execution.

Back to Winamp workhorse 5.666, which works first time perfectly on Win10 (64). I have no complaints with this version so I'm fine with waiting (a long time, granted) until 5.8 is released. If I paid for Winamp (actually I did, once upon a time) I might have a defensible complaint about the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
given that DrO is clearly working on a competitor (of sorts) it would be better to get something out now, again, imo.
Has DrO moved on?
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 15:11   #1589
Raj_09

Quote:

Winamp 5.8 Beta

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 17:27   #1590
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaney View Post
Has DrO moved on?
DrO isn't with the team anymore, but he is doing some independent winamp work that you can check out at getwinamp.com

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 11th August 2016, 00:21   #1591
HikariWS

I'm totally with publishing a finished product. But, even with that, it's troubling to stay years without nothing.

You should better look at your project management, or better yet, share it with us. What's taking so long to do? You should have reduced the amount of features/changes to it. Do the minimum necessary, with the best quality possible, and publish it.

This makes me worry. The company bought Winamp not so cheap, and it's a software distributed freely. What are they willing to do with it? Turn it paid? Add tons of junk into it and make it fat?

AOL bought it to throw it away so that WMP could grow. That job was done, M$ doesn't care anymore for WMP, so AOL sold it. Now what?

Anyway, 5.666 works fine till today. What I really want is new plugins, adding support for new codecs. IDK how Winamp works on Win10 and how it will be supported on future Windows, but I want it alive without tweaks and compatibility modes. And of course, plugins that work on 5.666 must remain working.

I want a dev community developing new plugins for it.
HikariWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 01:05   #1592
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariWS View Post
What's taking so long to do? You should have reduced the amount of features/changes to it. Do the minimum necessary, with the best quality possible, and publish it.
You are aware they had to strip a lot of licensing things and try to implement a free alternative, right? Plus apparently JTFE was deeply integrated with winamp, so that was a huge issue it seems.

Quote:
This makes me worry. The company bought Winamp not so cheap, and it's a software distributed freely. What are they willing to do with it? Turn it paid? Add tons of junk into it and make it fat?

AOL bought it to throw it away so that WMP could grow. That job was done, M$ doesn't care anymore for WMP, so AOL sold it. Now what?
I believe you should go back and follow what's been going on with development instead of making assumptions. Also, your whole reason AOL bought winamp is complete BS. Why in gods name would AOL do that to help microsoft? AOL was a completely different company before the TW merger, when they acquired nullsoft. They were more adventurous in investing into new technology.

Quote:
Anyway, 5.666 works fine till today. What I really want is new plugins, adding support for new codecs. IDK how Winamp works on Win10 and how it will be supported on future Windows, but I want it alive without tweaks and compatibility modes. And of course, plugins that work on 5.666 must remain working.

I want a dev community developing new plugins for it.
Why don't you start developing plug-ins then? Nothing is stopping you, plus there are plenty of plug-ins out there, even ones you probably want. You don't need a new winamp version for new plug-ins. Hence, the whole concept of "plug-in".

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 17th August 2016, 01:28   #1593
DarkAngelBA

Expectations at max!

I'm a really fan of WinAmp and happy that there are new advances!!
DarkAngelBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 19:24   #1594
thewinampking

How much longer do we need to wait?

It's been a couple of years now and I really want to use the new winamp. Could you please let your fans how much longer this is expected to take. You guys rock, your visuals were the best and I still love the application for windows. Hope you come back soon!
thewinampking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 19:56   #1595
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinampking View Post
It's been a couple of years now and I really want to use the new winamp.
What's wrong with the current one?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 26th August 2016, 20:31   #1596
tsunami

when the new version is released will it support WASAPI and ASIO and auto album art again?? Once it is finally released

Last edited by tsunami; 26th August 2016 at 21:57.
Old 26th August 2016, 22:07   #1597
musicf8
Major Dude

again? I know the third party wasapi and asio is handled through plug-ins so most likely.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 26th August 2016, 22:16   #1598
tsunami

again? was this asked already?? none wasapi and asio worked for me why i asked if it will natively have it

I tried other player and i dont like any them,
Old 26th August 2016, 22:27   #1599
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
again? was this asked already?? none wasapi and asio worked for me why i asked if it will natively have it

I tried other player and i dont like any them,
Ah, Natively... I personally doubt it, at least with the first "new release"

And the "again?" in my post was because you made it sound as if winamp already included wasapi and asio out of the box

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 26th August 2016, 22:35   #1600
tsunami

nah meant natively, I know there 3rd party plugins, but like said i could get any of them to work.

honestly I settle for new build with working auto album covers, I tried www.aimp .ru again which only player i kinda liked it put all the correct album covers to mps3, but gather that is cause it gets it from online which winamp cant do anymore none the less came back to winamp cause it had to many issue that irked me or things i didnt like
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion