Old 17th September 2022, 11:20   #481
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOOOOM View Post
Hello!
Is there any way to import saved smart views from winamp 5.666 to winamp 5.9?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackbuffo View Post
Is there a way to move all created smart views of a 5.666 install to a fresh 5.9 install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
You'd need to copy over the following files from the Settings folder:

Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini
Winamp\Plugins\ml\main.dat & main.idx (the actual local library database)*
Winamp\Plugins\ml\views (entire subfolder contents)

* Another method of copying over the actual database is to use the Library (button) => Export Media Database in 5.6x, then import the saved XML file via 5.9 => Library button => Import Media Database (though the copy main.dat & main.idx method seems easier to me).
Old 17th September 2022, 11:29   #482
Keith Weisshar

Why do I end up with an old Winamp 5.8 beta if I use download and install Winamp through Microsoft winget from the command prompt?
Keith Weisshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2022, 15:16   #483
ren072

Quote:
Did you definitely install 5.9 Final version?

Or was it an older RC build from some other site?

Did you run the installer (recommended), or did you try to manually install it by extracting files with e.g. 7-Zip?

Was it a clean install, or did you install on top of an older version of Winamp?
If the latter, were there any additional non-default plug-ins present?
Hi,
I have the exact same issue with Winamp last version: after loading, it crashes after 1 second without having done anything.
I've installed with the installer on top of a 5.8 version. Windows 10.
I don't have any additional plugins, just the default ones.
ren072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2022, 15:38   #484
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren072 View Post
Hi,
I have the exact same issue with Winamp last version: after loading, it crashes after 1 second without having done anything.
I've installed with the installer on top of a 5.8 version. Windows 10.
I don't have any additional plugins, just the default ones.
Take a look at this http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=458828

try installing a new clean version without any plugins , after that one works just like it should add plugins

don't forget to backup your plugins etc
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 14:23   #485
Myhrddin

It sounds like winget is not using the correct location and pulling the old file. Why don't you just download using the link and install it yourself, that's probably going to be the surest way when a third party database of downloads may not be updated quite as frequently as it should be?
The winamp main page has this link if you scroll down
https://download.nullsoft.com/winamp...atest_full.exe

And the forum page for the release notice and downloads can be found at;
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=458120
(the first entry of this thread)

I believe winget is a microsoft program and it's going to rely on their database of downloads to pull from so there's that extra layer that's got to be up to date to work accurately. Anyway, just a thought.. Hope this helps.. let us know.
Myhrddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 21:29   #486
iSPY

Hi, long time user..

Recently moved to win11 and winamp started crashing if idle, but only after idle for a while.

Newest final version is much better, but still can crash if left alone for too long in idle.

I can't find the error report file atm, but I think it said winamp.exe memory access violation in kernelbase32.dll, and I made sure windows defender ransomware folder protection is disabled.

EDIT: found it in attachment
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash report.zip (108.9 KB, 23 views)
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 23:35   #487
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSPY View Post
Hi, long time user..

Recently moved to win11 and winamp started crashing if idle, but only after idle for a while.

Newest final version is much better, but still can crash if left alone for too long in idle.

I can't find the error report file atm, but I think it said winamp.exe memory access violation in kernelbase32.dll, and I made sure windows defender ransomware folder protection is disabled.

Once again, I need to ask, even though you moved to Win 11, did you install over an existing Winamp installation in Win 11? Did you install over existing plugins? I run Win 11 and 5.9, even the earler RCs, ran extremely well without crashing. We need to ask this first and then move on to other questions from there. Thanks!

Winamp 5.9 RC4 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento Modern 1.2.
MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Windows 11 22622.601. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan
Mikey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 02:44   #488
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Hi, long time user..

Need a List of Plugins installed as well. I just looked at the crash dump, very strange.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 06:36   #489
inhahe

Send a message via ICQ to inhahe Send a message via AIM to inhahe Send a message via Yahoo to inhahe
Bring back ctrl+D

Ctrl+D to toggle double size mode hasn't seemed to work in a long time, and it still doesn't work with this new version. Please bring it back. I have a 4K laptop, so the PPI is really high and Winamp shows up *tiny*.
inhahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 08:55   #490
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Hi, long time user..

Are any of these 3rd-party plug-ins set as the active Output plug-in?

out_yasapi.dll
out_asio.dll
out_burst.dll
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 08:58   #491
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhahe View Post
Ctrl+D to toggle double size mode hasn't seemed to work in a long time, and it still doesn't work with this new version. Please bring it back. I have a 4K laptop, so the PPI is really high and Winamp shows up *tiny*.

Ctrl+D works fine for Classic skins.
It's never worked for modern/freeform skins...

For Bento/Modern use main menu (top left corner icon) => Window Settings => Scaling
Also, increase Playlist font size in Prefs => Playlist
(ML font size should be linked via: Prefs => Media Library => Appearance: ML uses same font as pledit)

Alternatively, try a more dedicated skin such as Big Bento Modern
Old 20th September 2022, 10:06   #492
inhahe

Send a message via ICQ to inhahe Send a message via AIM to inhahe Send a message via Yahoo to inhahe
A couple problems with the upgrade

1. Winamp detects that there's a new version and notifies the user, but the webpage it tries to go to, winamp.com/player, is a 404. In fact the only way to find the new version is in this forum. I had to find it by googling it.

2. The Winamp 5.9 installation must install a C++ redistributable package or whatever, but after you install that it prompts you to reboot your computer, but the reboot screen says that Winamp installation is preventing it from rebooting. Makes it look kind of unprofessional.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:09   #493
inhahe

Quote:
Ctrl+D works fine for Classic skins.
It's never worked for modern/freeform skins...

For Bento/Modern use main menu (top left corner icon) => Window Settings => Scaling
Also, increase Playlist font size in Prefs => Playlist
(ML font size should be linked via: Prefs => Media Library => Appearance: ML uses same font as pledit)

Alternatively, try a more dedicated skin such as Big Bento Modern
Thanks!
Old 20th September 2022, 10:51   #494
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
1. Winamp detects that there's a new version and notifies the user, but the webpage it tries to go to, winamp.com/player, is a 404. In fact the only way to find the new version is in this forum. I had to find it by googling it.

winamp.com itself has the download on the page also
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 12:50   #495
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
winamp.com itself has the download on the page also
I think he's suggesting that his older version of Winamp saw an available update and tried to download from an internal, out-of-date link. This couldn't be controlled or anticipated by the developers this many years later so I think calling it "unprofessional" is hardly fair. Also - is finding Winamp 5.9 really that difficult? I can't see how it could be since it is easily available in this very thread and also from the official site.

Old 20th September 2022, 13:55   #496
Keith Weisshar

Winamp developers, can you add both the 32-bit and 64-bit of the VC++ 2019 runtimes to the Winamp installer. The installer only installs the 32-bit version of the runtimes.
Keith Weisshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 15:57   #497
iSPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
Once again, I need to ask, even though you moved to Win 11, did you install over an existing Winamp installation in Win 11? Did you install over existing plugins? I run Win 11 and 5.9, even the earler RCs, ran extremely well without crashing. We need to ask this first and then move on to other questions from there. Thanks!
Hi,

I had 5.8 on win10, moved to 11 and kept the same version, then it started making problems, then I tried new RC4, overwrite, not much better. Then I did clean install was a little better.. Now with final, I did clean install, and at first it thought it was ok but then it happened eventually, it took a long longer though 45min+ or even 1hr, was watching a movie when it was interrupted with winamp error dialog.

I can try to do another clean install, maybe it will clear itself.

Quote:
Are any of these 3rd-party plug-ins set as the active Output plug-in?

out_yasapi.dll
out_asio.dll
out_burst.dll
Hi,

hmm, yes out_burst.dll, audioburst.fx, I use only this plugin, have it unlocked - not demo version

I updated it recently when I was still on win10. When I listen to the music it is stable all the time.. only in idle for some reason

Maybe worth mentioning, I searched for alternatives and found some app called musicbee which can also use winamp plugins, and there it was ok even at idle, it was the first thing I tested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp outburst.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	55072  
Old 20th September 2022, 16:18   #498
iSPY

Hm one of my posts is waiting moderation, maybe I shouldn0t have linked picture attachment as picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Need a List of Plugins installed as well. I just looked at the crash dump, very strange.

HI, ok I ran this tool

when I saw DJ egg reply about my plugins, I then uninstalled all other custom ones ASIO and yet another wasabi, so only audioburst is left now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_20-09-2022.winampinfo.zip (25.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 20th September 2022, 16:51   #499
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Weisshar View Post
Winamp developers, can you add both the 32-bit and 64-bit of the VC++ 2019 runtimes to the Winamp installer. The installer only installs the 32-bit version of the runtimes.

Winamp is a 32-bit app and it only requires the 32-bit runtime.

If we ever get the 64-bit version to fully compile and we release a 64-bit package, then the installer for it will check for the 64-bit runtime.
Old 20th September 2022, 16:57   #500
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Hi, ok I ran this tool

when I saw DJ egg reply about my plugins, I then uninstalled all other custom ones ASIO and yet another wasabi, so only audioburst is left now.

It's more than likely to be the active plug-in causing the issue.

It may well work ok with musicbee and older versions of Winamp,
but there's been a lot of core changes, so it's no longer guaranteed to work in Winamp 5.9.

Unfortunately, the 5.9 SDK is not yet ready for publication :-(

Please confirm if the problem still occurs when there's no non-default/additional plug-ins present.
Old 20th September 2022, 17:06   #501
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:

2. The Winamp 5.9 installation must install a C++ redistributable package or whatever, but after you install that it prompts you to reboot your computer, but the reboot screen says that Winamp installation is preventing it from rebooting. Makes it look kind of unprofessional.

Yes, winamp.com/player was used in an older version.
We should put up some content or redirect to a new dedicated page...

We can use any of the following switches for the vc_redist_86.exe package:

/install /quiet /norestart

but currently, we don't use any.

We prefer user notification & interaction on non-silent-installs.
But maybe we could add /norestart if there's a guarantee it works ok on all systems without a reboot..?
Old 20th September 2022, 19:28   #502
zumer

Quote:
All of us owe a word of thanks to DJ Egg who has been answering and in many cases, resolving, most or all of your bug reports.

I cannot express enough the importance of understanding that 5.9 was not a continuation of 5.666 but rather, a continuation of 5.8 *beta* for many reasons including legal reasons. Please bear this in mind when making statements about things that "worked" in 5.666 but were then "broken" in 5.9. 5.9 is a whole new animal and the developers are doing their best to maintain compatibility over *years* of Microsoft Windows OS versions, namely, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, & 11. Some of you may not realize how difficult maintaining that compatibility actually is.

I ask that you continue to show respect and a little kindness when reporting these "bugs" as many of them cover not only an incredible arc of time but extremes of individual usage that the vast majority of Winamp users are not experiencing.
I disagree. We need a winamp that can use the experience gained over many years. We need a winamp that will work just like 5.8 and below. Many developers no longer support their plugins, and we need them to work. The strength of Winamp is in plugins and support for community experience, without this, the transition to visual studio 2017 does not make sense if we break everything.
zumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 20:08   #503
iSPY

Quote:
It's more than likely to be the active plug-in causing the issue.

It may well work ok with musicbee and older versions of Winamp,
but there's been a lot of core changes, so it's no longer guaranteed to work in Winamp 5.9.

Unfortunately, the 5.9 SDK is not yet ready for publication :-(

Please confirm if the problem still occurs when there's no non-default/additional plug-ins present.
Ok thanks, I wrote directly to their support if it still exists, will see if they have anything to say. I really liked their powerfx fx, made some old mp3 songs sound really good

Sure, I can try default, which one is ideal, out_ds.dll?
Old 20th September 2022, 21:48   #504
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumer View Post
I disagree. We need a winamp that can use the experience gained over many years. We need a winamp that will work just like 5.8 and below. Many developers no longer support their plugins, and we need them to work. The strength of Winamp is in plugins and support for community experience, without this, the transition to visual studio 2017 does not make sense if we break everything.
Then don't use it. You are free to go back to 5.666 or 5.8. Constantly pointing fingers and making accusations against the Winamp developers in the manner that you do is not helpful in the slightest. You can bet if that's the kind of feedback they get, they will never proceed in the direction you're suggesting.

Old 20th September 2022, 22:44   #505
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We did test a number of 3rd-party plug-ins prior to releasing RC3 and addressed some issues.
But we obviously can't test all plug-ins - and as has always been the case, if possible, some plugins will need to be updated.

As I've said a few times already, we acknowledge that the 5.9 SDK needs to be released, but it's not ready just yet.
As anyone who downloaded the previous one knows, even the last SDK included a fair number of outdated plug-ins and code.
Old 21st September 2022, 00:03   #506
zumer

Quote:
Then don't use it. You are free to go back to 5.666 or 5.8. Constantly pointing fingers and making accusations against the Winamp developers in the manner that you do is not helpful in the slightest. You can bet if that's the kind of feedback they get, they will never proceed in the direction you're suggesting.
I'm not trying to blame anyone, I think that the developers are great. I like Winamp 5.9, but I understand the dissatisfied. Winamp hasn't had a new version for a long time. Many plugin developers have closed their projects and the issue of compatibility is very relevant. I see that switching to vs2017 has broken some parts. I wish the developers patience in replacing all broken parts. In any case, thanks to the developers for the work.
zumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2022, 03:49   #507
the SASS Man

I'll tell you what ... for all the problems, glitches, and install failures users here are reporting, I must live a blessed life. Or else, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit just likes DJ Egg, and all the other guys developing this thing.

I did a "clean install," erasing everything but my plug-ins dir (which I renamed "plugins_dead").

Not only did Winamp 5.9 load successfully, not only does it play my songs without a hitch, but my Media Library, window positions, and even my previous playlist were right where I left them in Winamp 5.8!

Way to go, guys!

I even have Lyrics showing, again (thanks to MiniLyrics)!

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:09   #508
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the SASS Man View Post
I'll tell you what ... for all the problems, glitches, and install failures users here are reporting, I must live a blessed life. Or else, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit just likes DJ Egg, and all the other guys developing this thing.

I did a "clean install," erasing everything but my plug-ins dir (which I renamed "plugins_dead").

Not only did Winamp 5.9 load successfully, not only does it play my songs without a hitch, but my Media Library, window positions, and even my previous playlist were right where I left them in Winamp 5.8!

Way to go, guys!

I even have Lyrics showing, again (thanks to MiniLyrics)!
Isn't that incredible??? I had nearly the same experience although I'm using Windows 11. 5.9 Just works!! However, I suspect your experience has actually been the case with the vast majority of installations of Winamp 5.9. Good luck and have fun!

Old 22nd September 2022, 22:45   #509
gud2bdaking77

Hello Gents, great job on the latest version and thank you so much for all your hard work! I just wanted to report one small problem as it is a feature I use so much, but in the modern skin the crossfade feature isn't working. It lights up and I can set the seconds but it does not actually crossfade. Just wanted to let you know
gud2bdaking77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 03:13   #510
hawke

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable has a new version 2015-2022
Will the 2015-2019 old version that currently needs to be installed by Winamp5.9 be updated in the future?
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 13:55   #511
FatBoyNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable has a new version 2015-2022
Will the 2015-2019 old version that currently needs to be installed by Winamp5.9 be updated in the future?
Most probable, yes. Including older VC++ Runtimes in old setup programs is not supposed to be a security risk (when newer versions should have have been installed anyway). But 2015 versions and upwards seem pretty security aware anyway.
FatBoyNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:27   #512
M.D-78 Odysséus

The release of versions RC1, 3 and 4 were very fast, until the final version of the Player, is there a release forecast for version 5.9.1 or even version 6 of Winamp?
M.D-78 Odysséus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:30   #513
iSPY

I wrote to audioburst QQ labs, but no reply what so ever. So I guess it's dead.

I used out_wasapi a bit and it didn't crash in idle.. So I guess out_burst.dll is the cause. -_-
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:43   #514
M.D-78 Odysséus

Quote:
I wrote to audioburst QQ labs, but no reply what so ever. So I guess it's dead.

I used out_wasapi a bit and it didn't crash in idle.. So I guess out_burst.dll is the cause. -_-
Winamp with me crashes every day, the conclusion I came to is that it's incompatibility with my machine, memories or something.
I know that on Windows 10 Winamp runs smooth, but on Windows 11 it crashes a lot, I have both installed on the same machine (Operating Systems).
Quite irritating.
The way is to wait for a better version, in my case specifically.
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:49   #515
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D-78 Odysséus View Post
Winamp with me crashes every day -
I have another question for you: Did you install Winamp 5.9 to *include* the Winamp Agent?

Old 3rd October 2022, 12:15   #516
M.D-78 Odysséus

Quote:
I have another question for you: Did you install Winamp 5.9 to *include* the Winamp Agent?
I don't use Winamp Agent, good question.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Winamp 5.X Bento Skin
Old 3rd October 2022, 15:32   #517
M.D-78 Odysséus

Quote:
I used Winamp with Winamp Agent crashes the same way. ?..

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Winamp 5.X Bento Skin
Old Yesterday, 14:40   #518
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D-78 Odysséus View Post
I used Winamp with Winamp Agent crashes the same way. ?..
Ok. I was curious. I had to reinstall Win 11 after a HD crash. I installed it w/o the Agent and it would crash if the computer went to sleep but stays "alive" when I installed the Agent with no other issues.

Old Today, 07:10   #519
alexceltare2

I hope WASAPI support will be a standard as that outputs the cleanest sound. Also, native 64-bit app will be nice.
alexceltare2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion