Old 28th December 2002, 21:48   #1
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
Damn Server! (a cry for help)

I am just about completely pissed at my "server" that I have here sitting beside me. It's probably the reason why I haven't posted here at the Forums for a while. It seems that I just cannot keep it running successfully for any good length anymore. The operating system is Windows XP and even though it is not correct to call it the "Server", I do anyway because in the past, it has ran Windows NT 4.0 Server and Windows 2000 Server, and even now, all it does is run background services, thus being a server. The system stats are very slim, unfortunately, but it used to run well in the past. It is an AMD K6 166MHz, but I accept its lack of processing power because like I said, I do not use the GUI. Also I have 256MB's of RAM in it, thus it evened out.

Well it seems that I get all kinds of problems that result in an immeadiate and total crash that always says IRQL_PROCESS_LOCKED... I've gone through many rebuilds, possibly around 5 within the past few months. What seems to cause them is somebody accessing my HTTP or FTP server, that the computer hosts. Also, I cannot switch from Windows XP because I can control the dial-up connection remotely (via ICS). A few family members need to get online, but I cannot give them access to the server, thus they just click on the Internet Gateway, and boom, it's dialing up and the whole network is online. Sure, Windows 2000 shared the Internet, but it did not allow remote access. What I guess I'm going to do is wait for .NET 2003 to come out and use that because I really do savor Active Directory and its supreme security. I have alot of requirements, and while my current Server meets them, it does not stay stable.

Help!! I just wanted to vent my extreme distress to someone, just to get it out of me.
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2002, 22:45   #2
smeggle

AJ Just A thought shouldn't this be in the bitch list as well heh heh HAppy new year bud [jk]
Old 29th December 2002, 02:12   #3
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
Very encouraging, thank you Smeggs...
Old 29th December 2002, 08:11   #4
WolfieD
Major Dude

Dude, get a Dell.
WolfieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 08:20   #5
AjStone
Major Dude

Sure, right after you give me a couple thousand dollars. All my home PC's are homemade. They all work excellent, except this one. In fact, I have 1 PC (AMD K6-2 400MHz) that I last wiped over a year ago. I checked my build log and the date was November 2001, running Windows XP Professional. It routinely runs uptimes of 2+ weeks, going just as fast and stable as it did when I first built it. I call that dependability.
Old 29th December 2002, 08:27   #6
WolfieD
Major Dude

I know, I was joking. (However, most dell home systems only run a few hundred. Pretty cheap when you consider what kinda cash you and I have put into our systems. My monitor alone costs about the same as an entry level Dell desktop.)

I'd say upgrade the processor. I just got an Intel 266 MMX socket 7 for 20 bucks on pricewatch, and it's running in my car very nicely so far. (Don't ask.) A K6 166 is socket 7, and the extra 100mhz will help XP run smoother. And if you're a diehard AMD fanboy, well, I'll sell you a 450mhz K6 I have lying around :P

PS: XP back in November? Do I smell a Devil's-Own copy of XP?
WolfieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 13:55   #7
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

I've got similar problems with my new internet proxy server/firewall.

I used to run Windows NT4, and all was well with uptimes of over six months. Now, I'm forced to run Windows 2000 Server (becuase I've got a USB ADSL modem, which doesn't support NT4. However, I get it freezing every few days. Either that, or it crashes with a message like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL.

A slight workaround is to tell it to automatically reboot on crashing, and don't let it do any sort of system dump. Thus it only becomes a minor annoyance every now and then....
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2002, 19:23   #8
AjStone
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfieD
PS: XP back in November? Do I smell a Devil's-Own copy of XP?

Actually, I do have an AMD K6-2 300MHz thats being temporarily used by a temporary family member, I may upgrade to that when they leave. Also, I do have the automatic reboot checked, but it is very annoying when it crashes while I'm online, talking to half a dozen people, hosting the FTP server, and hosting an MSN script.

Oh, and yes, I am an AMD junkie.
Old 2nd January 2003, 06:45   #9
AjStone
Major Dude

Well, instead of starting a new thread, I add a chapter in this saga. I rebooted the damn thing and got this:

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

Old 2nd January 2003, 06:46   #10
hestermofet
Major Dude

Ooh. Bad news. You're the new parent of a failed hard drive. Have fun

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2003, 06:48   #11
RanDom_ErrOr
Banned

Location: The loony bin, just outside of nutsville,USA. I would visit you, but my room is padded and i cant get out...
Send a message via ICQ to RanDom_ErrOr Send a message via AIM to RanDom_ErrOr
aj: get a good linux server. u dont need a GUI, it has built in firewall, easy to configure, and easy to maintain. debian works or even redhat if ur desperate...
RanDom_ErrOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2003, 06:50   #12
AjStone
Major Dude

I think I'm more presently worried about the state of operability of the PC right now.
Old 4th January 2003, 06:30   #13
AjStone
Major Dude

Success!

Well of my three PC's, I combined them all to make two. I dismanteled the Server and I combined it with my support workstation. The specifications are as follows:

AMD K6-2 450MHz
384 MB RAM
20.68 GB Total Hard Drive space
5 Physical Hard Drives
2 IDE CD-ROM Drives

To accommodate the extra drives, I have made some additions. I have installed, both a SCSI controller that serves one hard drive, and a PCI IDE controller, which serves one hard drive, and one CD drive. Lastly, I have installed a second redundant power supply (capacity 50W) to help ease the load on the primary power supply.

What a Server!
Old 16th July 2018, 22:53   #14
pigullka

Yes, it's already retro. And what were the glorious days!
pigullka is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions