Old 29th August 2012, 16:51   #1
shervin

Winamp pro doesn't play MP4 and MKV

Hi,
I have been a user of Winamp since 1998 (or was it 97 I'm not sure, but I think I still have the first released version on a CD), and finally upgraded to Winamp Pro a few nights ago mainly to play MKV and MP4. I just don't want to use VLC or any other media player. However I have two main problems:

1) It doesn't play neither MP4 or MKV. No error, no play window, nothing. I have uninstalled previous Winamp, and reinstalled the Pro version, still doesn't play those 2 formats.

2) According to my bill, I ordered and paid for Winamp pro 5.63, however the download link gives me winamp5622_pro_all.exe

any information is appreciated,
thanks
shervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 17:28   #2
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by shervin View Post
...However I have two main problems:
1) It doesn't play neither MP4 or MKV. No error, no play window, nothing. I have uninstalled previous Winamp, and reinstalled the Pro version, still doesn't play those 2 formats.
Try the instructions here

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:54   #3
shervin

Hi ryerman,
Yeap I had seen those instructions, and followed them before upgrading to WinampPro because it still didn't work. However at the beginning of that instruction, it says that Winamp_pro has native support to play MKV, so do I still need to do all those steps manually anyway ?

Quote:
"
Winamp 5.57+ Pro users have native support for the following codecs in MKV:
Video codecs: h.264 (avc), h.263 (requires extra h263 decoder from the EP), mp4v pt.2 (simple/advanced)
Audio codecs: mp3, aac, ac3 (requires extra ac3 decoder from the EP), vorbis."
shervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:20   #4
DrO

mkv and mp4 are just containers for the audio &/or video which goes inside them. so the problem you're having is apparently not having the decoding support for whatever codec is used inside of the files. if you have made sure that you've installed the 5.63a version of the EP, then you may need to use a tool to determine what codecs are used in the files you're having issues with (i think something like gspot may help but that's going on memory - am sure someone else will be able to better clarify things).

Quote:
2) According to my bill, I ordered and paid for Winamp pro 5.63, however the download link gives me winamp5622_pro_all.exe
http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en or http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345684 have current links - i have to assume the link you got in the bill is due to an issue with the details not having been updated correctly on digital river's side (which is always a pain from what i gather).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:31   #5
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
... to play MKV, so do I still need to do all those steps manually anyway ?
I don't know. I've never used Winamp Pro.
I struggled to play various video files until I followed those instructions.
So now my MKV files play using the DirectShow decoder, Haali Matroska Splitter and ffdshow. (ie the 'manual' installation)
You might also need to install the Preferred DirectShow Filters Tool.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mkv, mp4, winamp pro