Old 10th May 2014, 12:26   #41
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
though as Win 8.x has dropped the Win+Tab option, i'm not sure if it's worth trying to find a work around (which so far i've not found).
I'm not blaming Winamp. I accept that Windows (and/or hardware) changed things that made some stuff impractical to continue to support (e.g. background images in the playlist editor).

I even accept the game of leap frog software and hardware play. One drives the other to get better. New software demands more powerful hardware, as the hardware gets better, the software demands even more. This is good and keeps things moving forward, even though some of the software processing demand is due to code not written as tight as it could be.

But, I don't like the game of 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Windows 8 removed stuff (mostly eye candy, but that's beside the point) that Windows 7 introduced to save the drain on mobile users' batteries. Why remove it? Why not just provide the option to disable the battery draining stuff. Other things were removed because the graphics subsystems on mobiles (and average desktops) are not powerful enough to support them along with the standard stuff. Ok, but why should desktop users who are willing to add more powerful graphic cards suffer? Why not have the software scale to what the hardware it's running on can support?

I don't expect answers, just venting my frustration.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 16:03   #42
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Because I will not see Windows 8 / 8.1 directly soon, I could check some YouTube-Videos.

Also I myself think, Vista & Win7 with the desktop & desktop icons have looked more beautiful than Windows 8 / 8.1 with the Metro View (I still don't like it). Is that the reason, why the music-platforms are changing the website- & profile-layouts so radically now? Mostly the old profile layouts have looked much better (I experienced that very often). Only the new My Cloud Player in Chrome with my own Color Theme looks very good, although I have loved also the Dark Theme in the old My Cloud Player.

Also I have heard, that new notebooks with Windows 8 / 8.1 don't have 2 seperate jacks for microphone & headphones anymore, they have only 1 jack now. Why such nonsense? Is that really neccessary? My notebook with Win7 from 2011 has 2 seperate jacks. I don't know, how it will be with the new PCs now, which are sold with Windows 8 / 8.1, but if it will be the same like with the new notebooks, then I can only say, it's better to get Custom Built PCs or PCs from Second Hand instead. Last year the former icecream vendor got a Custom Built PC with Win7 from his son, and Steinberg Cubase works very fine on his new machine...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 20:28   #43
DrO

Aminifu: i'd expect Win+Tab was removed since their metrics indicated people didn't use it or it just didn't fit well with modern style apps vs the classic desktop. as no one non-techy i know knew about it or saw the point in it when shown it (whereas alt+tab was better known and used more often). but who knows the reason why, as i only ever saw it more as a gimmick than anything useful.

Sabine: the change to a single port instead of two is a financial thing by hardware and is unlikely related to OSes (other than timings of things being released from both sides of the fence). as most likely most people don't need separate jacks and with the prevalence of usb devices for recording, there's even less need (at least that's how i see it). and it's not like it's not hard to get hold of a usb -> 2 jack adapter for when it's needed (as i remember some of Sennheiser PC1*** headsets 6-7years ago including such an adapter as dual jacks were already on the decline at that point). and as devices get thinner, it's just easier to have a single jack towards the back of the device since that's about the thickest part of it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 20:39   #44
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I find (found) myself using Win+Tab all the time, as a convenient way to get back to my desktop after mistakenly launching a modern app.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 21:16   #45
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I love to use my notebook with a bed-table in the bed for listening & watching, and instead of the built-in loudspeakers sometimes I use the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro headphones, which can be used for the older 6.3- & 3.5-headphone-jacks. I hope, I can use them also for future PCs & notebooks, because these are very good headphones. Maybe adapters are available for the future computers. Other people can use headsets, and fortunately also real on-ear-headsets are sold (I myself hate in-earphones & earbuds). Of course many people would have been annoyed by using old headsets with 2 plugs, because microphone & headphones had 2 seperate jacks in the past. Also it's very good, that mobile devices get thinner and more lightweight. Currently I use my Archos 43 with Sennheiser PX-100ii for outside.

But I wish to know, if the future computer will have Stereomix also with only 1 jack , and maybe also future PCs could be sold with only 1 jack instead of 2, not only notebooks. I could visit the websites of Conrad Electronic, Media Markt & Saturn to check that.

Today I have visited the snack-bar again (after visiting my mother). Their notebook was turned on today, and the team uses Windows 7 now. They have played music from YouTube in Chrome. I think, they didn't want to live suddenly without internet...

Old 12th May 2014, 06:22   #46
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
but who knows the reason why, as i only ever saw it more as a gimmick than anything useful.
Yeah, <Win+Tab> is/was a gimmick, but a nice one, imo. A more modern way of doing what <Alt+Tab> does.

I can only smile when I hear about people who have no idea of many of the things their OS can do. Being a techy is not required. All it takes is a little time skimming thru the OS users guide to know these things.

Quote:
the change to a single port instead of two is a financial thing by hardware and is unlikely related to OSes
Yeah, it's a financial thing. Saves money and makes money (for the vendors) at the same time. Forcing people with perfectly good headset + microphone combo units with 2 jacks to trash them for the new units with 1 jack. This is called progress.

If vendors would let us trade in our old, but still working, stuff and give us a little something off the cost of the new, this kind of thing would be easier to accept.

Old 12th May 2014, 06:36   #47
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
But I wish to know, if the future computer will have Stereomix ...
Support for stereomix is provided by the device driver (the software that works directly with the hardware to translate what the OS and apps want done). So read the details on the sound card or motherboard sound chip to find out if it is supported or not.

Some vendors stopped providing support for this during the push for digital rights management of music to slow down the illegal copying of stuff (make it harder for the average user to record what they hear).

Old 12th May 2014, 09:27   #48
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
I find (found) myself using Win+Tab all the time, as a convenient way to get back to my desktop after mistakenly launching a modern app.
I don't use <Win+Tab> every day or even every week, but it's nice that it is available (in Windows 7). It's a better looking effect than <Alt+Tab>, imo.

It's a shame that modern Winamp skins don't show up, but since they are layered over a hidden window, it is understandable.

Old 12th May 2014, 09:35   #49
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
but since they are layered over a hidden window, it is understandable.
if there was a way to recognise the action then it could be possible to fake things (drawing the modern skin window onto the classic window - which is effectively how the taskbar preview is done via dedicated OS apis). but i've not been able to find anything and just blindly drawing things onto the Winamp main window isn't good (that and having to resize it so it's at the correct scale - which was not done when modern skin support was added i believe to allow for 3rd party plug-ins relying on the main window position to work correctly, though maybe it's time to consider breaking that compatibility...).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 15:07   #50
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

If it's independent from "how many jacks does a computer have" and only pending on the soundcard itself, then it's very good. For the soundcards from some companies it's possible to get the driver and also Stereomix, for the soundcards from some other companies Stereomix is not possible (for example for my notebook). In the video "Winamp Visualisierung für alle Töne nutzen" the YouTube-User has another suggestion, and I talked with the other Mixlr-Broadcaster about that, because also the Mixlr-Broadcaster usually need Stereomix.

Conrad, Media Markt and Saturn are so confusing. Then I wanted to look on the website of the supermarket Aldi, also without success. Should I really go to the next store to check, how many jacks the PC Towers are having now?

Also I don't find an old photo with me, where I was sitting in the grass. Frank has said, it would be on the old XP machine. I have only found many other nature-photos, which are also on the other computer and USB-Sticks.

Maybe I should turn on the music on my Workstation PC now. I should relax...

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News